Don't eat vegetables

Options

Replies

• Bernadette60614
    Bernadette60614 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    This sounds very weird, but I put a frozen bags of one of these (or a mixture) on the top rack of the dishwasher, have my dishes on the bottom and run the dishwasher. This defrosts them.
    Holy crap! I guess that's one way of "eating clean"! Those bags... they're not as sealed as you think they are. Lots of them are permeable so you can steam them in the microwave.

Also, I'd be afraid of the veggies spilling out and getting on my clean dishes. Or the food being in contact with the heated plastic bag for that long. I think a microwave is just fine for defrosting.

I see your points and they are good ones!

For me, it is "what will I do consistently". Since I've started doing this, I eat 2 lbs of veggies every day.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    I am now In my 30s and have never ate vegetables (only potato and corn).

Up until I hit 28 I was 108lbs ( 5'8 ) and could not gain weight. then over the last few years of eating huge meals and drinking way to much beer got to 180lbs but that was also due to quitting smoking and having some health issues.

Started limiting my diet and working out and surprise surprise I am loosing weight with out vegetables. Down to 157lbs since Feb 14

Not saying to not eat them, just that my body for one seems to do just fine with out them.
    If your weight's your only concern, you can eat only twinkies and drink only vodka and lose weight, so long as you do it in a caloric deficit. Your body will not be "fine" in the long run.
  • TashTag
    TashTag Posts: 109
    Options
    I did not touch cooked vegetables of any kind my whole life until I came to the Uk for the first time. Suddenly i felt more adventurous and ready to try new things, I later learned that ones taste buds change and I actually started to like some. Not just salad stuff all the time. I still hate tomatoes and egg plant but through some creativity I managed to stomach most others now.
    Growing up I used to wretch when I had to eat cooked veggies, no idea why. Made my poor mothers life hell.

Yes I know, this story offers no support in any way. Just thought id tell it. K
  • scraver2003
    scraver2003 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Have you tried pretending your fork is a chew, chew train?

That's what works for my son when he won't eat his broccoli.

Personally I pretend my fork is a jet plane! :smile:

OMG! chew, chew train. Laughing... can't. stop.. laughing... tears...
    Why was that SO funny?
  • scraver2003
    Options
    This sounds very weird, but I put frozen bags of one of these (or a mixture) on the top rack of the dishwasher, have my dishes on the bottom and run the dishwasher. This defrosts them.

Oh my! This doesn't melt the bag? Dishwashers get VERY hot. Also - the soap used is strong stuff - not something you want in your veggies. You could put the bag in a bowl of hot water to defrost them. Or really anything but that. The bags are made of plastic and chemicals - which will leach into your food at high temps like that.
  • scraver2003
    Options
    To the OP - there has to be some sort of veggie out there you like. You ahve to try all different ones and cook them different ways - with different spices.

Jicama, bok choy, chard, squash (zuchinni, acorn, etc.) are all very mild flavored.

You can shred stuff into your pasta sauce.

Veggies in soup hardly taste like anything.

You can roast, boil, microwave, steam, saute, bake, puree, juice, or blend...

Cook them in spices, balsamic vinegar, olive oil, lemon juice, cheese, butter, salt, or chicken stock...
  • sseqwnp
    sseqwnp Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Like I tell my husband, nobody likes them, just choke it down.

I have this conversation with my wife. But it's not about vegetables.
  • busycitystreets
    busycitystreets Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Don't worry - I also hate veggies! I've come to be able to blend them in a smoothie and choke it down or juicing them works for me. Any other way is a no go. Good luck!
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    Baked beans also have a lot of extras that take away from their benefits. Delicious, yes... not necessarily the healthiest. I'm also surprised you can't find one vegetable... corn even? What about adding some to smoothies?
    I kind of like sweet corn.. And how often would I have to eat vegetables? Because there's no way I could eat them everyday

Corn is a grain.

How about a vegetable and pour lots of cheese or something on it, like broccoli?
  • Carnivor0us
    Options

OMG! chew, chew train. Laughing... can't. stop.. laughing... tears...
    Why was that SO funny?

When I eat broccoli, I pretend I'm a giant brontosaur eating trees :D
  • arenad
    arenad Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Not crazy about veggies or exercising either for that matter. If you want to be fit and healthy bad enough you will try to start eating them. Like others have suggested, try doing smoothies....
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    Shepherd's Pie, Beef Stew, Chili, etc.

All of these are fairly easy to 'sneak' veggies into. If that's still too objectionable, then you have a choice. You can eat a diet that consists of adequate nutrition or not. If the answer is not, then take a decent multi-vitamin. Seems a little limited to me, but I'm not eating for you, so w/e. It's your body.
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options

^This. ahahaha :laugh:

Seriously. Man up and eat your veggies. Pull up your big boy pants, you can do it.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    As an adult (well, about the age of 30 at least) I started eating more veggies because I knew I should. And because its hard to encourage my kids if I don't set a good example. Have since found many things I like.

Its probably not the taste. Maybe the texture, maybe head issues. That was me at least. Taste buds change too. Trying things in a new way, or trying things again after a while, can get a different result. And sometimes you just need to get used to the texture.
    I don't "like" veggies either, but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do to be healthy. pretend you're 3 years old, and your mom is breathing down your neck and eat them super fast so you can enjoy the rest of your meal.
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Are we supposed to take this post seriously? Because I just can't.
  • Carnivor0us
    Options
    Are we supposed to take this post seriously? Because I just can't.

That someone doesn't like certain foods? I can take that seriously.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I had never eaten a piece of lettuce, broccoli, carrot, or pretty much anything green before I was 21 years old. Ever.
  • WickedPineapple
    WickedPineapple Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    There's actually an eating disorder for "picky" eaters you might want to investigate.
    http://www.livescience.com/10301-adult-picky-eaters-recognized-disorder.html

I'm also a vegetable hater, but again I dislike the vast majority of foods. (Apparently, I had the above disorder until my mid-20s). When my husband gave me a California roll to try once I spit it out in the middle of the restaurant (it was either that or throw up). People can say choke it down all they want, sometimes it's not physically possible. I'm still incredibly picky, but I can usually work around it. I'm lucky in that I've always loved carrots (raw only), marinara sauce, and spinach (again, raw only). How it's cooked or not cooked makes a huge difference in taste and texture.

I would suggest keeping an open mind and trying new things. Even if you don't like the veggie raw, you might like it another way. Sneaking veggies into other things like smoothies is a great idea. Maybe try eating frozen peas without chewing (just swallow them like pills if you can).
  • Bernadette60614
    Bernadette60614 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    This sounds very weird, but I put frozen bags of one of these (or a mixture) on the top rack of the dishwasher, have my dishes on the bottom and run the dishwasher. This defrosts them.

Oh my! This doesn't melt the bag? Dishwashers get VERY hot. Also - the soap used is strong stuff - not something you want in your veggies. You could put the bag in a bowl of hot water to defrost them. Or really anything but that. The bags are made of plastic and chemicals - which will leach into your food at high temps like that.

Not yet. What I typically do is put the dishes on the bottom rack, use white vinegar for cleaning them (we rinse them thoroughly) and but the bags in the back of the top rack so they aren't assaulted by the most water.

I can see your points. Maybe one day I'll want to do more, but right now, my goal is: eat them!

Another way I like to get veggies in: Drop them into homemade or premade chili. I typically make a crockpot full of chili every week (5 cans of beans, one big package of frozen mixed veggies, chili powder to taste, medium high, one to two hours depending upon the texture you want.)

Also, if you don't want to try my weird, crazy methods (and I wouldn't blame you!), buy bags of preseasoned vegetables. Even if you have to pay a little extra, you'll get into the habit of eating them.

You can't certainly live without vegetables, but make it a challenge to try one serving a day for two weeks. It is really like anything new...e.g., the first month of weight training, I was always on the verge of quitting. After a month, I'd go to the gym to train even if I came in from a 6 hour flight.
  • IIIIISerenityNowIIIII
    IIIIISerenityNowIIIII Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I'm vegetarian and don't really "like" vegetables. I mean really if I could eat a pizza instead of any veggie in the world, the pizza wins. There are veggies I like in comparison to others, but the point of eating them for me is the health benefits. My husband hates vegetables and only willingly eats them without a fight when they are in a smoothie or chopped up and mixed with pasta sauce over pasta. That's why when I make veggies on the side and he looks at it like it is a cow patty on his plate I tell him to (with all due love and affection) choke it down.