• KariOrtiz2014
    KariOrtiz2014 Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I love cheese

????
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    It simply means you reall need to understand the content of what you're putting into your body, and why. Paleo is strict, and if you're not well educated on why you're eating what you're eating then it could be very detrimental. Matter of fact, any diet is NOT an ideal diet for anyone who doesn't know the mitronutrition in the foods they are going to consume on the diet.
    I don't feel it is an ideal diet for anyone who doesn't know the micronutrition in the foods they are going to consume on the diet.

What do you mean by that?

translation, Paleo is only for those with genius level IQ....

That's kind Forrest, I know you feel that way sometimes, but were are all on a level playing field. Don't feel so inferior (your not, now chin up).

sigh...if only I could be on level with the Paleo People...
  • Harrisonsauntie2005
    Harrisonsauntie2005 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    1. It I nothing like how actually paleolithic people ate.
    2. It is not some magical fat loss solution.
    3. too restrictive for me.
    4. There are about 1000 different versions of it, which I am still trying to figure out why. If Paleo is so great why not do it 100% of the time.
    5. If you want to do it, great. Just realize, the previous four items that I posted still hold true.

I have bacon cooked in butter on whole wheat bread smothered in cheese.
    If that's paleo then I am in.

It's not. I don't know how bacon could even be considered Paleo since it is a man-made food.

I am pretty sure the pig mum and dad made it
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSaOKbDb2JrcwDDvPUDrjvlY8XGd-jixs0fI8ohas4sBXYWHf17
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    4. There are about 1000 different versions of it, which I am still trying to figure out why. If Paleo is so great why not do it 100% of the time.
    5. If you want to do it, great. Just realize, the previous four items that I posted still hold true.

It's not. I don't know how bacon could even be considered Paleo since it is a man-made food.

I'm sure that they had bacon animals back in the day.
    but then wouldn't it be processed and bad for you? If you slaughter a pig and make bacon out of it, it is then processed, right?
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options

I was going to say the exact same thing, but as a sarcastic post based on the stereotypical response from the BS Brigade (man it would have been so good to have done it 5 minutes ago).

well we agree..shocking..the world must be about to end...

Actually joking aside, you do have a point on some of the things you put down.

I would personally like it if it was called 'Back in the Day Diet' BITDD.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Paleo+diet+meme.jpg
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    b31d0718e2485cc800aeb700790d7a0f2bcff83fc9cb0a1f9a4bf0dbaf8d7daa.jpg

Hahaha

So funny.
  • royaldrea
    royaldrea Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    The thought of following a regime where I eat non-processed, virtuous-feeling foods appeals to me and I have gone down a 'clean eating' path before, on several occasions.

I was miserableeeeee. I was so sad. I was telling myself I was happy because I was taking better care of myself and getting rid of processed foods and horrible gluten and poisonous box foods. I lasted about a week and then I binged. And binged. Went on a bender, derailed myself. Tried it again because white sugar is bad for you (even though I would have happily jumped on a piece of sugar cane if I was lucky enough to get it. And of course demerara sugar is brown so it's much better). Rinse and repeat.

Now I've decided to try something different - no deprivation. No demonizing of foods. Just acceptance of myself, realization that food makes me happy, that cake is my favourite food and that there is nothing wrong with this, that I hate quinoa, and self-love. I'm so much happier, I can't describe how good it feels to not associate guilt with something you love. And I no longer feel the need to eat 3 cupcakes for lunch, or all the fries on my plate because they're there (even though I could if I wanted to). It's so freeing!

That said, I know persons who've done Paleo for years (cheating occasionally, but I'm not one to judge...too harshly) and they're happy and they look great. Yes, they may tell me that white potatoes are man-made and so I shouldn't eat them, and that cave men were ripped (and not scrawny and full of worms like I insist they would have to be) but if you're happy then be happy.

I'm sure my progress would be faster if I cut out bread and white sugar and everything else I love, but I am only interested in doing what is sustainable, forever. So I track calories and protein b/c of my strength training. I go out with friends and eat what I want but try to be sensible and cut out unnecessary things. I have good weekends and try to eat breakfast, and not to eat something just because it's available, unless I want it. And it's great!

Ok TL;DR Paleo is not for me, I feel that it's unnecessarily restrictive BUT a lot of persons don't and have found success doing it. IF you like a challenge go for it but realize that it's difficult to sustain.
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    Giving up legumes is stupid. Better advice is "eat more legumes"

I am still unsure as to what a legume is

Because they are so totally healthy for EVERYONE? Wrong.

Some people can eat legumes. Some cannot. So the ones who get sick from them should just keep eating them because you say they are good for everyone? Yeah, I was stupid like that for 20 years. Now I'll use my own brain and trust my own experience. But thanks anyway.

So people who CAN eat them SHOULDN'T because of your "biological issues"?

This is what starts to PISS ME OFF. I was responding to the previous blanket statement. I am talking about SOME PEOPLE like ME. I live with an entire group of people that do not tolerate legumes (Inuit) so I am far from a special snowflake. I did not make the blanket statement that NO ONE should eat legumes. SOME people should not eat legumes IF they get sick from them. (Is it logical to keep eating a food that makes one sick? I know it seems logical to some, not me!) OTHER PEOPLE CAN EAT LEGUMES WITH NO PROBLEMS. So, if they want to eat legumes- eat the legumes! DUH

Clear enough yet?

Reading skills and comprehension might come in handy.

The Paleo diet may lead to becoming hangry...

Calm down, take a deep breath.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    Options

I'm sure that they had bacon animals back in the day.
    but then wouldn't it be processed and bad for you? If you slaughter a pig and make bacon out of it, it is then processed, right?

I would be tthat the whole bacon making process was a valuable way to prolong the safety of eating the calories from that pig...
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Go to the Primal/Paleo Support Group. It gets stupid here. Unless you just want to hear how terrible and dangerous etc it is by people who know nothing about it and have never tried to eat a more biologically appropriate diet. Because everything in a box is the best food that we all should be eating. And the fact that most of society is fat/sick? Only because they lack "willpower". Nothing at all to do with the food we put in our bodies. :noway:

Or HOW MUCH food we put in our bodies.
    Gotta agree... it's getting stupid in here.

LOL at "biologically appropriate"

You need to study history, biology, anthropology, nutrition, metabolic processes etc then. We've been highly processed foods for less than a hundred years. If you think that doesn't impact our physiology/health at all (and haven't read any of the mountains of research that supports it) then it's you that I'm LOLing at.

Mountains of research? Meh - there is also plenty of research that suggests that processed foods are not dangerous.

Overeating any type of food will cause health related issues and weight gain.

Additionally, to suggest that humans have not changed or evolved over the last 10,000 years is a clear indication that you do not have a grasp on the subjects that you referenced.

This is why I usually stay out of these forums.

How much evolution is thought to occur in 10,000 years??? How genetically different are we from Paleolithic peoples?

Actually it is YOU that has little grasp. I did not reference anything specifically- do your own research and draw your own conclusions but please don't ridicule the views of others. I have spent thousands of hours studying all manner of subjects. Maybe you should spend a few hours doing the same.

I'm done with the condescension here.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

Some people can eat legumes. Some cannot. So the ones who get sick from them should just keep eating them because you say they are good for everyone? Yeah, I was stupid like that for 20 years. Now I'll use my own brain and trust my own experience. But thanks anyway.

This is what starts to PISS ME OFF. I was responding to the previous blanket statement. I am talking about SOME PEOPLE like ME. I live with an entire group of people that do not tolerate legumes (Inuit) so I am far from a special snowflake. I did not make the blanket statement that NO ONE should eat legumes. SOME people should not eat legumes IF they get sick from them. (Is it logical to keep eating a food that makes one sick? I know it seems logical to some, not me!) OTHER PEOPLE CAN EAT LEGUMES WITH NO PROBLEMS. So, if they want to eat legumes- eat the legumes! DUH

Clear enough yet?

Well, taking a general statement and applying to those with intolerances is pretty ridiculous, don't you think? Legumes are healthy food. That is a true statement. Just as shrimp is healthy food, is a true statement. Eggs are a healthy food is a true statement. Even though some people will go into anaphylaxis if they eat either of these foods.

I think it’s perfectly reasonable to expect a certain level of intelligence on a public forum. And that level of intelligence should cover knowing that a “general” statement or recommendation would not apply to someone with a specific intolerance or allergy.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options

it's not restrictive...just buy our product. processed whey is as good as raw milk if we say so....

Choc30_powder_reflect__72057_zoom.jpg

Lol. Is it any good. I've been eating Primal Blueprint for a while now and have never been asked to buy any of the products.

I think because it's got sugar and processed stuff in, it's just sold to you lot, because apparently as long as it fits your macro's you'll eat any old crap!
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options

Clear enough yet?

The Paleo diet may lead to becoming hangry...

Calm down, take a deep breath.

People cannot read and comprehend yet they persist in posting in the forums. I am justified in being frustrated with ignorance.
  • tech_kitten
    tech_kitten Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Paleo Flex may be easier for people to stick to - it's basically where you do mostly Paleo and yet you still eat some of the foods that are considered a no-no on the strict Paleo regimen. Basically, you cut out all processed foods and then you decide if you just can't live without cheese, that you use that as a Flex item. Really what it comes down to, is that if you are interested in Paleo but think it's too strict, don't do Paleo, but you can still incorporate some of the good habits in your regimen that Paleo espouses.
    So really, it's basically not Paleo at all, but if it is easier to associate what you do food-wise to a specific name, then do that, whatever makes it easier for you to reach your goals.
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    Go to the Primal/Paleo Support Group. It gets stupid here. Unless you just want to hear how terrible and dangerous etc it is by people who know nothing about it and have never tried to eat a more biologically appropriate diet. Because everything in a box is the best food that we all should be eating. And the fact that most of society is fat/sick? Only because they lack "willpower". Nothing at all to do with the food we put in our bodies. :noway:

Or HOW MUCH food we put in our bodies.
    Gotta agree... it's getting stupid in here.

LOL at "biologically appropriate"

You need to study history, biology, anthropology, nutrition, metabolic processes etc then. We've been highly processed foods for less than a hundred years. If you think that doesn't impact our physiology/health at all (and haven't read any of the mountains of research that supports it) then it's you that I'm LOLing at.

Mountains of research? Meh - there is also plenty of research that suggests that processed foods are not dangerous.

Overeating any type of food will cause health related issues and weight gain.

Additionally, to suggest that humans have not changed or evolved over the last 10,000 years is a clear indication that you do not have a grasp on the subjects that you referenced.

This is why I usually stay out of these forums.

How much evolution is thought to occur in 10,000 years??? How genetically different are we from Paleolithic peoples?

Actually it is YOU that has little grasp. I did not reference anything specifically- do your own research and draw your own conclusions but please don't ridicule the views of others. I have spent thousands of hours studying all manner of subjects. Maybe you should spend a few hours doing the same.

I'm done with the condescension here.

Okay, let's throw around sources then.

Per an article in Scientific American:

"The Paleo diet not only misunderstands how our own species, the organisms inside our bodies and the animals and plants we eat have evolved over the last 10,000 years, it also ignores much of the evidence about our ancestors' health during their—often brief—individual life spans (even if a minority of our Paleo ancestors made it into their 40s or beyond, many children likely died before age 15). In contrast to Grok, neither Paleo hunter–gatherers nor our more recent predecessors were sculpted Adonises immune to all disease. A recent study in The Lancet looked for signs of atherosclerosis—arteries clogged with cholesterol and fats—in more than one hundred ancient mummies from societies of farmers, foragers and hunter–gatherers around the world, including Egypt, Peru, the southwestern U.S and the Aleutian Islands. "A common assumption is that atherosclerosis is predominately lifestyle-related, and that if modern human beings could emulate preindustrial or even preagricultural lifestyles, that atherosclerosis, or least its clinical manifestations, would be avoided," the researchers wrote. But they found evidence of probable or definite atherosclerosis in 47 of 137 mummies from each of the different geographical regions. And even if heart disease, cancer, obesity and diabetes were not as common among our predecessors, they still faced numerous threats to their health that modern sanitation and medicine have rendered negligible for people in industrialized nations, such as infestations of parasites and certain lethal bacterial and viral infections."

Source:

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/why-paleo-diet-half-baked-how-hunter-gatherer-really-eat/
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

I am pretty sure the pig mum and dad made it

Even if a mom and dad pig existed in the paleolithic era, I highly doubt they made smoked, cured pork belly. :huh:
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    It is a very healthy way to alter one's diet, but moreso it is altering one's lifestyle. I highly recommend going to crossfit.com, paying the small fee to get access to the Crossfit Journal (I thin it is $25 for a year?), and spend a lot of time reviewing the material on Paleo. They have excellent articles, podcast/radio clips, and even videos all specific to the Paleo lifestyle. Excellent commentary on how it has assisted the level of effort the athletes can put forth during their WODs, too. Keep in mind that the Crossfit community is there because they focus on living a very healthy lifestyle, and Paleo is just one part of it.

2yjo9iv.jpg
    Ironic t-shirt is ironic.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    I bought a paleo cookbook after researching controlling my diet for IBS. I also am lactose intolerant.

I don't follow the paleo diet though. I use the cookbook (plus a few others I got free from Amazon) to make a few paleo recipes. Otherwise I just eat what I want. I've learned to control IBS by not stressing myself out as much. I've learned which dairy prodcuts seem to upset me more. I cut those (or just eat less, who can resist yummy ice cream?)