Paleo.

Options

Replies

• DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    Giving up legumes is stupid. Better advice is "eat more legumes"

I am still unsure as to what a legume is

Because they are so totally healthy for EVERYONE? Wrong.

Some people can eat legumes. Some cannot. So the ones who get sick from them should just keep eating them because you say they are good for everyone? Yeah, I was stupid like that for 20 years. Now I'll use my own brain and trust my own experience. But thanks anyway.

So people who CAN eat them SHOULDN'T because of your "biological issues"?

This is what starts to PISS ME OFF. I was responding to the previous blanket statement. I am talking about SOME PEOPLE like ME. I live with an entire group of people that do not tolerate legumes (Inuit) so I am far from a special snowflake. I did not make the blanket statement that NO ONE should eat legumes. SOME people should not eat legumes IF they get sick from them. (Is it logical to keep eating a food that makes one sick? I know it seems logical to some, not me!) OTHER PEOPLE CAN EAT LEGUMES WITH NO PROBLEMS. So, if they want to eat legumes- eat the legumes! DUH

Clear enough yet?

Reading skills and comprehension might come in handy.

You responded to the statement, "I am still unsure as to what a legume is" (see bolded), so perhaps following your own advice would be a good thing for you. As would be an attempt to read my other several posts that said that avoiding foods that cause problems is a good policy.

You are obviously not having a good forums day. Perhaps you should abstain.
  • DamePiglet
    Options
    I bought a paleo cookbook after researching controlling my diet for IBS. I also am lactose intolerant.

I don't follow the paleo diet though. I use the cookbook (plus a few others I got free from Amazon) to make a few paleo recipes. Otherwise I just eat what I want. I've learned to control IBS by not stressing myself out as much. I've learned which dairy prodcuts seem to upset me more. I cut those (or just eat less, who can resist yummy ice cream?)

You have good sense. :drinker:
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Bacon is just pork belly that's usually brined and, if you're doing it right, smoked. It's not "man made" in the way, say, a diet coke is.

That actually doesn't make any sense. What is the difference in the processing, in your mind? Is it the number of steps required, the length of time it takes, the number of tools used?
    Incidentally, Diet Coke has less ingredients than bacon.
  • DamePiglet
    Options
    1. It I nothing like how actually paleolithic people ate.
    2. It is not some magical fat loss solution.
    3. too restrictive for me.
    4. There are about 1000 different versions of it, which I am still trying to figure out why. If Paleo is so great why not do it 100% of the time.
    5. If you want to do it, great. Just realize, the previous four items that I posted still hold true.

it's not restrictive...just buy our product. processed whey is as good as raw milk if we say so....

Choc30_powder_reflect__72057_zoom.jpg

Lol. Is it any good. I've been eating Primal Blueprint for a while now and have never been asked to buy any of the products.

I think because it's got sugar and processed stuff in, it's just sold to you lot, because apparently I'll type any old crap!

FIFY. :flowerforyou:
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Bacon is just pork belly that's usually brined and, if you're doing it right, smoked. It's not "man made" in the way, say, a diet coke is.

That actually doesn't make any sense. What is the difference in the processing, in your mind? Is it the number of steps required, the length of time it takes, the number of tools used?
    Incidentally, Diet Coke has less ingredients than bacon.

I left out "number of ingredients," but yes, that's true too. I'm thinking that carbonated colas are actually pretty "lightly" processed if you are going to put "processed foods" on a spectrum of some sort.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options

You really can't see a difference in the processing? Bacon is traditionally made with pork belly and brine, which varies but generally we're talking liquid (water, apple cider, etc.) and spices (salt, sugar, pepper, etc.). These aren't modern ingredients and are pretty much all taken directly from natural sources. I suspect most people can tell you where these ingredients come from and how they're made from natural sources. Making bacon is a pretty simple process actually, assuming you have the setup for smoking.

Compare that to a diet coke. Aspartame... how many people can explain to you how this is made from natural sources? Phosphoric acid.. caramel color... etc. Where would you even begin? You really can't see that there's less processing involved in a simple brine for a piece of pork and the manufacture of a diet coke? With a farm and some time, most people could make bacon no problem. Would you even know where to begin with making a can of cola from scratch?

That said, we're arguing over nothing. I'm not saying you shouldn't drink cola just because you can't make it yourself, and I realize that any prepared food is man made in a literal sense (which is why I put it in quotes to begin with). But I do think there's a difference in processing between something that can easily be made with natural ingredients versus something that pretty much requires a lab to manufacture.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    Yes for some, no for others!

^^^This. It works for me.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Personally, I'll start to take paleo people seriously when I see them eating insects. Until then, no.

...Especially when I see them making "faux, non-paleo" stuff, like the way "vegetarians" eat "faux meat." It's like, if your diet is so great, then why are you trying to make a bastardized version of my diet? :laugh:

But ... cauliflower. :flowerforyou:
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    Personally, I'll start to take paleo people seriously when I see them eating insects. Until then, no.

...Especially when I see them making "faux, non-paleo" stuff, like the way "vegetarians" eat "faux meat." It's like, if your diet is so great, then why are you trying to make a bastardized version of my diet? :laugh:

I like the paleo brownie recipes.. Ummm, what?

giphy.gif

Exhibit A, your Honor. Next witness.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

But ... cauliflower. :flowerforyou:

:laugh:
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    Really good if you maintain the CrossFit lifestyle - near impossible if you aren't a daily gym rat though.

I don't follow strict paleo, but I am keen to understand why you need to be a gym rat for it to be possible?

I am wondering the same thing. We walk, sprint on occasion and lift heavy things at work and home and do some other exercises using our own body as the gym.

I am no longer a gym rat and I am losing weight finally at a "normal" pace.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

You really can't see a difference in the processing? Bacon is traditionally made with pork belly and brine, which varies but generally we're talking liquid (water, apple cider, etc.) and spices (salt, sugar, pepper, etc.). These aren't modern ingredients and are pretty much all taken directly from natural sources. I suspect most people can tell you where these ingredients come from and how they're made from natural sources. Making bacon is a pretty simple process actually, assuming you have the setup for smoking.

Compare that to a diet coke. Aspartame... how many people can explain to you how this is made from natural sources? Phosphoric acid.. caramel color... etc. Where would you even begin? You really can't see that there's less processing involved in a simple brine for a piece of pork and the manufacture of a diet coke? With a farm and some time, most people could make bacon no problem. Would you even know where to begin with making a can of cola from scratch?

That said, we're arguing over nothing. I'm not saying you shouldn't drink cola just because you can't make it yourself, and I realize that any prepared food is man made in a literal sense (which is why I put it in quotes to begin with). But I do think there's a difference in processing between something that can easily be made with natural ingredients versus something that pretty much requires a lab to manufacture.

I'm not arguing. :laugh:

I'm just trying to understand your train of thought. I've made my own cola and my own root beer. It's easy and fun. We did it back when we were homeschooling. It was part of our Colonial America unit. I've never made my own bacon, but it sounds harder to me, based on the number of steps and length of time. But it sounds like you have an entirely different basis, which is fine.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I'm just trying to understand your train of thought. I've made my own cola and my own root beer. It's easy and fun. We did it back when we were homeschooling. It was part of our Colonial America unit. I've never made my own bacon, but it sounds harder to me, based on the number of steps and length of time. But it sounds like you have an entirely different basis, which is fine.

When you made it, were you making it by combining purchased already-processed ingredients or did you start with the basics like non-carbonated water, sugar, etc.? I'd be pretty surprised (and impressed) if the latter. On the other hand, a brining mixture, a cut of pork belly and some smoke is much simpler and closer to the natural sources in my mind. That said, it's probably an unfair comparison, because I'm sure there's a more natural version of cola than diet coke that one could make and I'm positive there are bacon products out there with additives/preservatives/etc. that aren't simply brined and smoked.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

When you made it, were you making it by combining purchased already-processed ingredients or did you start with the basics like non-carbonated water, sugar, etc.? I'd be pretty surprised (and impressed) if the latter. On the other hand, a brining mixture, a cut of pork belly and some smoke is much simpler and closer to the natural sources in my mind. That said, it's probably an unfair comparison, because I'm sure there's a more natural version of cola than diet coke that one could make and I'm positive there are bacon products out there with additives/preservatives/etc. that aren't simply brined and smoked.

Ingredients: yeast, water, sugar, flavoring

You just soften the yeast in warm water, then add flavoring, sugar, and then hot water, all in a large glass jar. (like the kind for sun tea). Then you let it sit in a window all day. Open. Drink. Yum. Not hard at all.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

And, by sugar, you mean honey, I suppose. Because what other non-processed sugar is there? And these spices, they are all in there natural state as berries, leaves, and such? Or they are dried and ground by man?

And where in the heck do I find apple cider vinegar in the wild?
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options

I love legumes and many other foods that eating a strict paleo diet would not allow. But if it floats your boat...
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    1. It I nothing like how actually paleolithic people ate.
    2. It is not some magical fat loss solution.
    3. too restrictive for me.
    4. There are about 1000 different versions of it, which I am still trying to figure out why. If Paleo is so great why not do it 100% of the time.
    5. If you want to do it, great. Just realize, the previous four items that I posted still hold true.

it's not restrictive...just buy our product. processed whey is as good as raw milk if we say so....

Choc30_powder_reflect__72057_zoom.jpg

Lol. Is it any good. I've been eating Primal Blueprint for a while now and have never been asked to buy any of the products.

I think because it's got sugar and processed stuff in, it's just sold to you lot, because apparently I'll type any old crap!

FIFY. :flowerforyou:

Lol, sorry was it edited for 'to close for comfort'! :flowerforyou:
  • tigersword
    Options

1. Aspartame is an amino acid chain made of aspartic acid and phenylalanine, you eat tons of it naturally occurring in bacon, actually. 1 ounce of bacon has as much aspartic acid and phenylalanine as 8 cans of diet soda.

2. Phosphoric acid is, well, phosphorus, which is an essential mineral for human life.

3. Caramel coloring is just food coloring, very easy to make (literally, it's liquid caramel.)

Heck, sodas are very easy to make. Ginger ale is very simple, dissolve sugar into water, steep some ginger in it, then pour it into a bottle with some more water, add a bit of yeast, maybe some fresh lemon, and let it sit for a couple days on the counter. The yeast will make the bubbles and carbonate it (just make sure to open the bottle once in a while, so the pressure doesn't build and explode.) If you don't want to use yeast, you could always also use water from any of the thousands of naturally carbonated springs around the world.

Not arguing for or against anything here, just making a point, that the only thing that makes one thing simple, and another complex is the level of knowledge about the topic and perception. Objectively, there's really no difference.
  • tigersword
    Options

Ingredients: yeast, water, sugar, flavoring

You just soften the yeast in warm water, then add flavoring, sugar, and then hot water, all in a large glass jar. (like the kind for sun tea). Then you let it sit in a window all day. Open. Drink. Yum. Not hard at all.
    Just don't leave it closed for too long, otherwise yum becomes mess... :drinker:
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options

Legumes aren't essential to human health, so giving them up or not giving them up isn't even worth thinking about.