Paleo.

Options

Replies

• weeedlady
    Options
    My first post ever on MFP. Thank you all for providing the entertainment for a long, boring afternoon at work. This thread has been a delight.
    M
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    You only have to smoke them and you can do almost anything to them if you move slowly. I learned this from my summer working for an apiarist and her 300 hives when I was a kid. We only wore hoods and gloves and I was only stung twice.
    Then you weren't in Texas! :laugh: Our bees, like every other wild thing in Texas, have to be a little bit ornerier to survive the harshness of Texas. Most feral bees here are at least partially Africanized, so they're a little more defensive and cantankerous than the average "sweet" Italian honeybee or other mild-mannered variety.

It was when I was a kid so the Africanization hadn't made it out of Mexico yet. Though you're right, I wasn't in Texas. I don't think the area I worked has had this problem, too far north for those heat loving, poor honey producing interlopers.

Maybe they didn't sting be because, like them, I am of Italian descent. Gotta stick together!
  • Charlottesometimes23
    Charlottesometimes23 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Thoughts?

It's a diet that restricts certain food groups for no good reason.

Followers often claim that it's a healthier way to eat but I'm not convinced. In fact I think the opposite, but only time will tell.

My computer guy tried to sell it to me the other day. What a funny conversation that was. :laugh: :laugh:
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Thoughts?

Followers often claim that it's a healthier way to eat but I'm not convinced. In fact I think the opposite, but only time will tell.

My computer guy tried to sell it to me the other day. What a funny conversation that was. :laugh: :laugh:

Here's the great thing Charlotte, you're an adult and you don't have to buy it.

You can just move on by!

Plus not all followers claim it's healthier for everyone, but I am sure they are convinced it is healthier for them (big difference).

im-an-adult.gif
  • Harrisonsauntie2005
    Harrisonsauntie2005 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    new to the message boards, but if there is one topic that people could easily searctr instead of starting a new thread every time, it's this topic.

Why should I? I want to know what people think now not yesterday. Also its the discussion not just the contentthat interests me. You don't have to comment if you have an issue with.
  • Harrisonsauntie2005
    Harrisonsauntie2005 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    My first post ever on MFP. Thank you all for providing the entertainment for a long, boring afternoon at work. This thread has been a delight.
    M

You are most welcome!
  • tennisdude2004
    Options
    new to the message boards, but if there is one topic that people could easily searctr instead of starting a new thread every time, it's this topic.

Why should I? I want to know what people think now not yesterday. Also its the discussion not just the contentthat interests me. You don't have to comment if you have an issue with.

Each one of these threads get more fun each time. Long may they continue in my opinion.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    bump
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I'm just trying to understand your train of thought. I've made my own cola and my own root beer. It's easy and fun. We did it back when we were homeschooling. It was part of our Colonial America unit. I've never made my own bacon, but it sounds harder to me, based on the number of steps and length of time. But it sounds like you have an entirely different basis, which is fine.

When you made it, were you making it by combining purchased already-processed ingredients or did you start with the basics like non-carbonated water, sugar, etc.? I'd be pretty surprised (and impressed) if the latter. On the other hand, a brining mixture, a cut of pork belly and some smoke is much simpler and closer to the natural sources in my mind. That said, it's probably an unfair comparison, because I'm sure there's a more natural version of cola than diet coke that one could make and I'm positive there are bacon products out there with additives/preservatives/etc. that aren't simply brined and smoked.

And, by sugar, you mean honey, I suppose. Because what other non-processed sugar is there? And these spices, they are all in there natural state as berries, leaves, and such? Or they are dried and ground by man?

And where in the heck do I find apple cider vinegar in the wild?

And even "raw, organic" honey needs to be processed, at least somewhat.

You can't just eat it right out of the hive?

Only if you're a Bee Whisperer

h1BA4E81B
    Of course you can. I have some sitting in a tub on top of my microwave here at work that's straight outta the hive. And you don't have to eat the larvae. The queen will tend to lay her eggs in a spherical pattern to maximize temperature homeostasis of the brood nest, and the workers will place the pollen and nectar around the perimeter. If you have a queen excluder, the queen won't even be able to get up into the top frames and the workers will use that exclusively for honey storage, leaving you with bee-baby-free sweet goodness!

And you can just eat the comb and all. All-natural, organic food grade wax, the purest there is!

Cool. I'll keep getting mine from aisle 4 and let those nice people down in Peculiar, MO, deal with the bees.

http://cooperhoney.com/

:bigsmile:
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

I doubt a single person on MFP has ever changed their mind in one of these threads. :laugh:
  • TX_Rhon
    TX_Rhon Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    There are no sammies at all on the Paleo Diet because you can't have grains. You can slap meat between two pieces of lettuce and pretend it's a sandwich though.

I make "bread" from flax meal. Works a charm :)

but you just processed that...not allowed...

^^^This! Seriously decide what is or is not allowed! Maybe you Paleo people should have a meeting to come up with official guidelines.

But more importantly: Your suggestion of "slapping my reuben sammy" on lettuce truly makes me sad :cry: :cry: :noway:
  • tennisdude2004
    Options
    There are no sammies at all on the Paleo Diet because you can't have grains. You can slap meat between two pieces of lettuce and pretend it's a sandwich though.

^^^This! Seriously decide what is or is not allowed! Maybe you Paleo people should have a meeting to come up with official guidelines.

But more importantly: Your suggestion of "slapping my reuben sammy" on lettuce truly makes me sad :cry: :cry: :noway:

48617557.jpg
  • TX_Rhon
    TX_Rhon Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options

48617557.jpg

Sorry but if I invite you, I'd have to share my sammy and that is not happening!

tumblr_m53ymrC9fw1qmy2v9o1_500.gif
  • onefortyone
    onefortyone Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    My degree is in Biological Anthropology so I've studied my fair share of palaeo anth - enough to know that a diet calling itself Palaeo is automatically, well, coming out of the wrong end of a bull. But aside from what is actually known about the Palaeolithic era, I truly believe that the beauty of Homo sapiens sapiens is our adaptability. I don't think any (anatomically modern or not) human culture has continued doing something that is destroying it for long enough periods of time or we wouldn't be here to argue about it. I don't think our crazy modern diets are all that effed up, I don't believe a mismatch between our 'evolution' and our 'environment' is possible. I do not believe our diets are killing us. I believe we do what we do, and we eat what we eat, and it is our longevity that is killing us.
  • FXOjafar
    FXOjafar Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    My degree is in Biological Anthropology so I've studied my fair share of palaeo anth - enough to know that a diet calling itself Palaeo is automatically, well, coming out of the wrong end of a bull. But aside from what is actually known about the Palaeolithic era, I truly believe that the beauty of Homo sapiens sapiens is our adaptability. I don't think any (anatomically modern or not) human culture has continued doing something that is destroying it for long enough periods of time or we wouldn't be here to argue about it. I don't think our crazy modern diets are all that effed up, I don't believe a mismatch between our 'evolution' and our 'environment' is possible. I do not believe our diets are killing us. I believe we do what we do, and we eat what we eat, and it is our longevity that is killing us.

As far as I understand the main Paleo ethos (I eat strict Keto), it is not about eating like a caveman, it is about avoiding over processed foods and eating as naturally as possible. Cooking meals yourself from raw ingredients and such. There should be no talk of the wrong end of the Bull with Paleo. Every end of the Bull (nose to tail eating) is the correct end to start.

A nice steak with a salad or veggies is a good way to eat!
  • Charlottesometimes23
    Charlottesometimes23 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Thoughts?

Here's the great thing Charlotte, you're an adult and you don't have to buy it.

You can just move on by!

Plus not all followers claim it's healthier for everyone, but I am sure they are convinced it is healthier for them (big difference).

im-an-adult.gif

63131d7b.gif
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

As far as I understand the main Paleo ethos (I eat strict Keto), it is not about eating like a caveman, it is about avoiding over processed foods and eating as naturally as possible. Cooking meals yourself from raw ingredients and such. There should be no talk of the wrong end of the Bull with Paleo. Every end of the Bull (nose to tail eating) is the correct end to start.

^^ Only if you don't forget the potato with sour cream!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

So is a bean burrito with a salad.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    1. It I nothing like how actually paleolithic people ate.
    2. It is not some magical fat loss solution.
    3. too restrictive for me.
    4. There are about 1000 different versions of it, which I am still trying to figure out why. If Paleo is so great why not do it 100% of the time.
    5. If you want to do it, great. Just realize, the previous four items that I posted still hold true.

I have bacon cooked in butter on whole wheat bread smothered in cheese.
    If that's paleo then I am in.

It's not. I don't know how bacon could even be considered Paleo since it is a man-made food.

I'm sure that they had bacon animals back in the day.
    but then wouldn't it be processed and bad for you? If you slaughter a pig and make bacon out of it, it is then processed, right?

Ok, so I am late to this party but does this mean no corned beef? No delicious Ruben Sammies? Then I'm out!

But on a serious note: Cutting bacon from the pig means separating it from the source. When will someone define what the heck that means? Is this part of Paleo or vegetarianism? It seems everyone here has their own definition. Maybe I'n not considering Paleo cuz I'm friggin' confused!!!

/rant

The palaeolithic era is defined by the use of stone tools, and the earliest stone tools were used to butcher animal carcasses. So cutting bits off the animal you're eating is palaeolithic. Although pig isn't, because like sheep and cows, they're domestic animals which are the result of selective breeding. Wild boar is paleo but pig is not. Cooking meat is middle palaeolithic, as the use of fire is generally considered to be one of the major distinctions between lower and middle palaeolithic culture.

That said, paleo dieters have never let any actual real palaeoanthropology or archaeological evidence influence their decisions thus far about what to allow or disallow on their diet, so I don't expect the above information to have any bearing on anything at all. I don't eat paleo, I just love studying palaeoanthropology.

That's because it's a marketing strategy. It makes it more interesting than saying its a low carb high fat diet. It obviously works because 2013 it was the most googled diet and is the most google diet so far on 2014.

However much you hate the fact the are using the name in vein (in your eyes) kudos to them because someone is making plenty of cash from it!

you're using the name intravenously? How interesting :wink: do you use a drip feed for that? :tongue:

Sorry but marketing something using misleading terms usually gets you in trouble with the trade descriptions act. You're from the UK so you should be familiar with that law, and I expect the USA has a similar law.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

So is a bean burrito with a salad.

Noooo not beans.

Thick juicy steak withbthe fat on. Buttered carrots buttered mushrooms and sweet potato. Ideal meal.