Paleo.

Options

Replies

• neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    My degree is in Biological Anthropology so I've studied my fair share of palaeo anth - enough to know that a diet calling itself Palaeo is automatically, well, coming out of the wrong end of a bull. But aside from what is actually known about the Palaeolithic era, I truly believe that the beauty of Homo sapiens sapiens is our adaptability. I don't think any (anatomically modern or not) human culture has continued doing something that is destroying it for long enough periods of time or we wouldn't be here to argue about it. I don't think our crazy modern diets are all that effed up, I don't believe a mismatch between our 'evolution' and our 'environment' is possible. I do not believe our diets are killing us. I believe we do what we do, and we eat what we eat, and it is our longevity that is killing us.

Yay :flowerforyou: :drinker: someone else who likes palaeoanthropology
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Thoughts?

It's a diet that restricts certain food groups for no good reason.

Followers often claim that it's a healthier way to eat but I'm not convinced. In fact I think the opposite, but only time will tell.

My computer guy tried to sell it to me the other day. What a funny conversation that was. :laugh: :laugh:

Here's the great thing Charlotte, you're an adult and you don't have to buy it.

You can just move on by!

Plus not all followers claim it's healthier for everyone, but I am sure they are convinced it is healthier for them (big difference).

What the followers claim, doesn't make what the diet itself claims any less ridiculous. The OP asked for opinions on the diet, not on those that chose to follow it.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    1. It I nothing like how actually paleolithic people ate.
    2. It is not some magical fat loss solution.
    3. too restrictive for me.
    4. There are about 1000 different versions of it, which I am still trying to figure out why. If Paleo is so great why not do it 100% of the time.
    5. If you want to do it, great. Just realize, the previous four items that I posted still hold true.

I have bacon cooked in butter on whole wheat bread smothered in cheese.
    If that's paleo then I am in.

It's not. I don't know how bacon could even be considered Paleo since it is a man-made food.

I'm sure that they had bacon animals back in the day.
    but then wouldn't it be processed and bad for you? If you slaughter a pig and make bacon out of it, it is then processed, right?

Ok, so I am late to this party but does this mean no corned beef? No delicious Ruben Sammies? Then I'm out!

But on a serious note: Cutting bacon from the pig means separating it from the source. When will someone define what the heck that means? Is this part of Paleo or vegetarianism? It seems everyone here has their own definition. Maybe I'n not considering Paleo cuz I'm friggin' confused!!!

/rant

The palaeolithic era is defined by the use of stone tools, and the earliest stone tools were used to butcher animal carcasses. So cutting bits off the animal you're eating is palaeolithic. Although pig isn't, because like sheep and cows, they're domestic animals which are the result of selective breeding. Wild boar is paleo but pig is not. Cooking meat is middle palaeolithic, as the use of fire is generally considered to be one of the major distinctions between lower and middle palaeolithic culture.

That said, paleo dieters have never let any actual real palaeoanthropology or archaeological evidence influence their decisions thus far about what to allow or disallow on their diet, so I don't expect the above information to have any bearing on anything at all. I don't eat paleo, I just love studying palaeoanthropology.

That's because it's a marketing strategy. It makes it more interesting than saying its a low carb high fat diet. It obviously works because 2013 it was the most googled diet and is the most google diet so far on 2014.

However much you hate the fact the are using the name in vein (in your eyes) kudos to them because someone is making plenty of cash from it!

you're using the name intravenously? How interesting :wink: do you use a drip feed for that? :tongue:

Sorry but marketing something using misleading terms usually gets you in trouble with the trade descriptions act. You're from the UK so you should be familiar with that law, and I expect the USA has a similar law.

True but anybody with the claim to the name paleo are long gone! Besides if anybody really cared I'm sure it would have been changed by now.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    My degree is in Biological Anthropology so I've studied my fair share of palaeo anth - enough to know that a diet calling itself Palaeo is automatically, well, coming out of the wrong end of a bull. But aside from what is actually known about the Palaeolithic era, I truly believe that the beauty of Homo sapiens sapiens is our adaptability. I don't think any (anatomically modern or not) human culture has continued doing something that is destroying it for long enough periods of time or we wouldn't be here to argue about it. I don't think our crazy modern diets are all that effed up, I don't believe a mismatch between our 'evolution' and our 'environment' is possible. I do not believe our diets are killing us. I believe we do what we do, and we eat what we eat, and it is our longevity that is killing us.

As far as I understand the main Paleo ethos (I eat strict Keto), it is not about eating like a caveman, it is about avoiding over processed foods and eating as naturally as possible. Cooking meals yourself from raw ingredients and such. There should be no talk of the wrong end of the Bull with Paleo. Every end of the Bull (nose to tail eating) is the correct end to start.

A nice steak with a salad or veggies is a good way to eat!

So is a bean burrito with a salad.

Noooo not beans.

Thick juicy steak withbthe fat on. Buttered carrots buttered mushrooms and sweet potato. Ideal meal.

No, the ideal meal would involve pork ribs.
  • neandermagnon
    Options

As far as I understand the main Paleo ethos (I eat strict Keto), it is not about eating like a caveman, it is about avoiding over processed foods and eating as naturally as possible. Cooking meals yourself from raw ingredients and such. There should be no talk of the wrong end of the Bull with Paleo. Every end of the Bull (nose to tail eating) is the correct end to start.

Except that bulls are not paleo because they're the product of selective breeding. The aurochs (ancestor of domestic cattle) is paleo, but they're extinct.

It's like the difference between a wolf and a poodle. One is a wild animal the other is the result of a lot of selective breeding.

I don't get why you paleo people make such a big deal over the fact that modern wheat varieties are the result of selective breeding yet you're happy to eat farm animals that have been subject to at least as much selective breeding as wheat has and have completely different macros to their wild counterparts.

Also, you really truly need to stop calling it "paleo" if it's not about "eating like a caveman" because it's nothing like actual palaeolithic diets and "caveman" isn't a scientific term either.
  • neandermagnon
    Options
    4. There are about 1000 different versions of it, which I am still trying to figure out why. If Paleo is so great why not do it 100% of the time.
    5. If you want to do it, great. Just realize, the previous four items that I posted still hold true.

It's not. I don't know how bacon could even be considered Paleo since it is a man-made food.

but then wouldn't it be processed and bad for you? If you slaughter a pig and make bacon out of it, it is then processed, right?

Ok, so I am late to this party but does this mean no corned beef? No delicious Ruben Sammies? Then I'm out!

But on a serious note: Cutting bacon from the pig means separating it from the source. When will someone define what the heck that means? Is this part of Paleo or vegetarianism? It seems everyone here has their own definition. Maybe I'n not considering Paleo cuz I'm friggin' confused!!!

/rant

The palaeolithic era is defined by the use of stone tools, and the earliest stone tools were used to butcher animal carcasses. So cutting bits off the animal you're eating is palaeolithic. Although pig isn't, because like sheep and cows, they're domestic animals which are the result of selective breeding. Wild boar is paleo but pig is not. Cooking meat is middle palaeolithic, as the use of fire is generally considered to be one of the major distinctions between lower and middle palaeolithic culture.

That said, paleo dieters have never let any actual real palaeoanthropology or archaeological evidence influence their decisions thus far about what to allow or disallow on their diet, so I don't expect the above information to have any bearing on anything at all. I don't eat paleo, I just love studying palaeoanthropology.

That's because it's a marketing strategy. It makes it more interesting than saying its a low carb high fat diet. It obviously works because 2013 it was the most googled diet and is the most google diet so far on 2014.

However much you hate the fact the are using the name in vein (in your eyes) kudos to them because someone is making plenty of cash from it!

you're using the name intravenously? How interesting :wink: do you use a drip feed for that? :tongue:

Sorry but marketing something using misleading terms usually gets you in trouble with the trade descriptions act. You're from the UK so you should be familiar with that law, and I expect the USA has a similar law.

True but anybody with the claim to the name paleo are long gone! Besides if anybody really cared I'm sure it would have been changed by now.

The diet would be subject to an awful lot less ridicule if it wasn't called paleo. If it was called the "allergy/intolerance avoidance diet" it would probably subject to no ridicule at all.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options
    Thoughts?

It's a diet that restricts certain food groups for no good reason.

Followers often claim that it's a healthier way to eat but I'm not convinced. In fact I think the opposite, but only time will tell.

My computer guy tried to sell it to me the other day. What a funny conversation that was. :laugh: :laugh:

Here's the great thing Charlotte, you're an adult and you don't have to buy it.

You can just move on by!

Plus not all followers claim it's healthier for everyone, but I am sure they are convinced it is healthier for them (big difference).

What the followers claim, doesn't make what the diet itself claims any less ridiculous. The OP asked for opinions on the diet, not on those that chose to follow it.

Yes but I shoukd think that most people embarking on the diet will have the intellegence to understand the claims will work for some and not for others - as most things in life.

Plus my suspion is the thread was posted to generate this kind of debate - which is cool.
  • atfirstblush
    atfirstblush Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    After two of my sisters got diagnosed with auto immune diseases, my Internist suggested I go to a Paleo diet because he suspected we are prone to food allergies (my daughter has wheat allergies). I have been following the Paleo diet for a month now and I feel great. I'm not tired, my mood has been terrific and I've lost over 20 pounds. I substitute almond and coconut flour in place of wheat flour and you really can't tell the difference. It's not for everyone, just some of us.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

/rant

The diet would be subject to an awful lot less ridicule if it wasn't called paleo. If it was called the "allergy/intolerance avoidance diet" it would probably subject to no ridicule at all.

Lol probably, but where's the fun in that?
  • neandermagnon
    Options

Noooo not beans.

Thick juicy steak withbthe fat on. Buttered carrots buttered mushrooms and sweet potato. Ideal meal.

I disagree. I think the ideal meal for humans would involve mammoth ribs and whatever root vegetables grew in Pleistocene Europe, i.e. the middle palaeolithic answer to ribs n chips* at least for those of us with some neanderthal ancestry :drinker:

Maybe the idea homo sapiens meal would be hippo and whatever root root vegetables grew in Africa around that time. And fish. I.e. fish, hippo ribs and chips* :drinker:

*french fries on the other side of the pond

ETA: hippos and mammoths are quite closely related to pigs, so I think they'd taste like pork ribs, only much, much, much bigger
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

Except that bulls are not paleo because they're the product of selective breeding. The aurochs (ancestor of domestic cattle) is paleo, but they're extinct.

It's like the difference between a wolf and a poodle. One is a wild animal the other is the result of a lot of selective breeding.

I don't get why you paleo people make such a big deal over the fact that modern wheat varieties are the result of selective breeding yet you're happy to eat farm animals that have been subject to at least as much selective breeding as wheat has and have completely different macros to their wild counterparts.

Also, you really truly need to stop calling it "paleo" if it's not about "eating like a caveman" because it's nothing like actual palaeolithic diets and "caveman" isn't a scientific term either.

Yes but I follow primal, and we dont claim to eat exactly like cave men anymore - you read the blog!
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

Noooo not beans.

I disagree. I think the ideal meal for humans would involve mammoth ribs and whatever root vegetables grew in Pleistocene Europe, i.e. the middle palaeolithic answer to ribs n chips* at least for those of us with some neanderthal ancestry :drinker:

Maybe the idea homo sapiens meal would be hippo and whatever root root vegetables grew in Africa around that time. And fish. I.e. fish, hippo ribs and chips* :drinker:

ETA: hippos and mammoths are quite closely related to pigs, so I think they'd taste like pork ribs, only much, much, much bigger

Or maybe it would to eat whatever moved at the time and somethings that didn't - hey that sounds a bit like IIFYM.
  • neandermagnon
    Options

Noooo not beans.

Or maybe it would to eat whatever moved at the time and somethings that didn't - hey that sounds a bit like IIFYM.

well there's archaeological evidence of neanderthals eating mammoths and root vegetables, which they are known to have cooked on open fires. So barbequed ribs and chips sounds very paleo to me.

10/10 would eat

ETA: and of Homo sapiens idaltu (i.e. the earliest Homo sapiens people) eating a lot of hippos.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Nice post!
    So is a fast food burger with a milk shake and dessert from the same joint. Depends what I'm feeling like.

What makes a food 'over processed'.

Hell, can any pro-paleoers even define what makes a food 'processed' which still includes the foods they eat?
  • KombuchaCat
    KombuchaCat Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Too restrictive for me. I think cutting out the added sugar, processed food and eating whole food including whole grains in moderation is a better bet. Unless you have food allergies or celiac disease I think a healthy whold food diet can and should include whole grains...maybe just not so much as we usually eat. However if you can live without grains I think Paleo would be a totally healthy way to go.
    I also think that people get too caught up in the name "Paleo." It's just a buzzword...of course you wouldn't be eating exactly as pre-historic man ate. You would be following some basic principles to more closely align yourself with thier diet.
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    This thread again?

tumblr_ljei5f5UCs1qcngqb.gif

LOVE IT!!!! Love that scene!
  • tennisdude2004
    Options
    Nice post!
    So is a fast food burger with a milk shake and dessert from the same joint. Depends what I'm feeling like.

What makes a food 'over processed'.

Hell, can any pro-paleoers even define what makes a food 'processed' which still includes the foods they eat?

With the meat in the burger aside (because I know you like that), for me personally its the nutrients per calorie ratio.

Plus if anything contains too high a volume of trans fats.

If I've covered my bases for my micro nutrients I will have a burger if I really want one. I will steer clear of the fries because I do not like the oil they fry them in.

Like the new profile pic by the way, looking good - more power to your elbow!
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    Giving up legumes is stupid. Better advice is "eat more legumes"

I am still unsure as to what a legume is

It's a horrible pea like thing!

Lord....it's a bean. a peanut is a bean, a kidney bean is a bean, it's a BEAN!
  • neandermagnon
    Options

I also think that people get too caught up in the name "Paleo." It's just a buzzword...of course you wouldn't be eating exactly as pre-historic man ate.

If someone was promoting the "Viking diet" and it bore no resemblence to what vikings actually ate, then people would object to that. So why is it okay to call the diet paleo and then say it's not about trying to eat like palaeolithic people....

seems to me it was made up by internet gurus with no background in palaeoanthropology based on whatever incorrect ideas they had about palaeolithic diets, or whatever they happened to dream up, or even from watching the Flintstones or whatever... they they marketed it.... then everyone who knows anything about palaeoanthropology pointed out that it doesn't bear any resemblence to actual palaeolithic diets, then they did a major backtrack by saying "it's not supposed to imitate the diets of palaeolithic people, it's just some blah blah blah (add excuse/backtrack thing here)" because they don't want people to stop buying their books or visiting their websites. That's what seems to be going on to me.....
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

I also think that people get too caught up in the name "Paleo." It's just a buzzword...of course you wouldn't be eating exactly as pre-historic man ate.

If someone was promoting the "Viking diet" and it bore no resemblence to what vikings actually ate, then people would object to that. So why is it okay to call the diet paleo and then say it's not about trying to eat like palaeolithic people....

seems to me it was made up by internet gurus with no background in palaeoanthropology based on whatever incorrect ideas they had about palaeolithic diets, or whatever they happened to dream up, or even from watching the Flintstones or whatever... they they marketed it.... then everyone who knows anything about palaeoanthropology pointed out that it doesn't bear any resemblence to actual palaeolithic diets, then they did a major backtrack by saying "it's not supposed to imitate the diets of palaeolithic people, it's just some blah blah blah (add excuse/backtrack thing here)" because they don't want people to stop buying their books or visiting their websites. That's what seems to be going on to me.....

And boy are they getting rich.