Paleo.

Options

Replies

• SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    tumblr_llt30gcMHK1qk8egjo1_500.gif

Wheat tends to make people fat, yes. But any food that raises blood sugar precipitously (as wheat and/or sugary foods do) will tend to make many people fat. So, unless you want to look like you ate an enormous doughnut and it settled around your waist, it is best to limit both wheat and sugar to an occasional indulgence (and by that, I mean once a month or less). Wheat contains gliadin (a component of wheat gluten) and amylopectin-A. Both are highly addictive. For myself, I never eat either wheat or added sugar. Formerly, I ate a lot of "healthy whole grains" even while following a calorie-restricted diet (read low-fat). It was not sustainable for me and I always reverted to eating "normally" and gaining the weight back (plus more). I have been eating lower carb--about 100--120 grams of carbs per day--(I eat everything but added sugar and wheat). I eat a bit of oats and rye in moderation. I have been following this plan for about three years. I have lost 66 pounds, and have not once regained an ounce in that three years. That is a first for me. While Paleo is a bit too restrictive for me, I recognize it is an essential diet for some people who have a severe problem with a deranged metabolism.
    Um, no. Gliadin and amylopectin certainly aren't addictive. You need to provide some evidence for that outlandish claim. Especially considering both gliadin and mylopectin are in far more foods than just wheat, so I'd be curious to see how you reached the conclusion that it's wheat that's bad, rather than rice, potatoes, corn, bananas, beans, chestnuts, carrots, or any of the other starchy foods that humans eat.

I didn't say that those other foods weren't also a problem, but wheat is unique in that white flour, in particular, is ubiquitous and included in a great many foods---without the benefit of fiber that is contained in other starchy foods. I can cite studies where the scientists came to the conclusion that gliadin and amylopectin-A are in fact "addictive". Your assertion that it is an "outlandish claim" is meaningless.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

Wheat tends to make people fat, yes. But any food that raises blood sugar precipitously (as wheat and/or sugary foods do) will tend to make many people fat. So, unless you want to look like you ate an enormous doughnut and it settled around your waist, it is best to limit both wheat and sugar to an occasional indulgence (and by that, I mean once a month or less). Wheat contains gliadin (a component of wheat gluten) and amylopectin-A. Both are highly addictive. For myself, I never eat either wheat or added sugar. Formerly, I ate a lot of "healthy whole grains" even while following a calorie-restricted diet (read low-fat). It was not sustainable for me and I always reverted to eating "normally" and gaining the weight back (plus more). I have been eating lower carb--about 100--120 grams of carbs per day--(I eat everything but added sugar and wheat). I eat a bit of oats and rye in moderation. I have been following this plan for about three years. I have lost 66 pounds, and have not once regained an ounce in that three years. That is a first for me. While Paleo is a bit too restrictive for me, I recognize it is an essential diet for some people who have a severe problem with a deranged metabolism.

OK I'm curious---I live in Italy, which is carb heaven, and we have very few obese. How is this explained if wheat makes one fat. I know the portion sizes--100g dry of pasta, and so it isn't that they are eating small portions. In the pizzarias evenings I see really skinny young people eating a huge pizza plus deserts. I also observe family members and so know the food culture here. They laugh when someone mentions the paleo diet. Would like to know how this is explained by the wheat is bad folks. Thanks. :smile:

1. Italians tend to get a LOT of exercise (as do Europeans in general). 2. Young people haven't had time to develop blood sugar problems. 3. Probably the most important reason is that Italians do not drink fluoridated water because they wisely refused to fluoridate their water after World War II. Only 3% of Europeans drink fluoridated water (fluoride was once recommended as a way to curb thyroid activity among hyperthyroid individuals in Europe). World obesity figures are directly linked to water fluoridation. Fluoride, because it fills the iodine receptors in the thyroid, impairs thyroid activity. Virtually all major cities in the U.S. fluoridate the municipal water supply and it is estimated that approximately 2/3 of Americans drink fluoridated water despite the fact that: "...[Even though Europeans have eschewed] 'one of the top ten public health achievements of the twentieth century,' [according to the propaganda from the CDC], tooth decay rates have declined in Europe as precipitously over the past 50 years as they have in the United States. This raises serious questions about the CDC’s assertion that the decline of tooth decay in the United States since the 1950s is largely attributable to the advent of water fluoridation..." Because of the thyroid impairment, there are millions of Americans who simply cannot convert blood sugar to energy and as it climbs higher, it is recognized as being a grave threat by the body which then, moves to convert it to body fat as a "safer alternative" than going into diabetic coma. :frown: Fluoride dosing was developed by the Nazis as a potential way to pacify the people. :huh: Make of it what you will.
    Well that certainly didn't take long to get to Godwin's Law. At least now we know we can ignore the nonsense.

What about the minor detail that flouride is a major component in tea? I'd ask for evidence of your claims again, but you've shown clearly that you're a conspiracy nut that doesn't want anything to do with facts or evidence.
  • tigersword
    Options

Um, no. Gliadin and amylopectin certainly aren't addictive. You need to provide some evidence for that outlandish claim. Especially considering both gliadin and mylopectin are in far more foods than just wheat, so I'd be curious to see how you reached the conclusion that it's wheat that's bad, rather than rice, potatoes, corn, bananas, beans, chestnuts, carrots, or any of the other starchy foods that humans eat.

I didn't say that those other foods weren't also a problem, but wheat is unique in that white flour, in particular, is ubiquitous and included in a great many foods---without the benefit of fiber that is contained in other starchy foods. I can cite studies where the scientists came to the conclusion that gliadin and amylopectin-A are in fact "addictive". Your assertion that it is an "outlandish claim" is meaningless.
    I asked you to cite them. Telling me you can doesn't mean anything without the actual citations.
  • SanteMulberry
    Options

OK I'm curious---I live in Italy, which is carb heaven, and we have very few obese. How is this explained if wheat makes one fat. I know the portion sizes--100g dry of pasta, and so it isn't that they are eating small portions. In the pizzarias evenings I see really skinny young people eating a huge pizza plus deserts. I also observe family members and so know the food culture here. They laugh when someone mentions the paleo diet. Would like to know how this is explained by the wheat is bad folks. Thanks. :smile:

1. Italians tend to get a LOT of exercise (as do Europeans in general). 2. Young people haven't had time to develop blood sugar problems. 3. Probably the most important reason is that Italians do not drink fluoridated water because they wisely refused to fluoridate their water after World War II. Only 3% of Europeans drink fluoridated water (fluoride was once recommended as a way to curb thyroid activity among hyperthyroid individuals in Europe). World obesity figures are directly linked to water fluoridation. Fluoride, because it fills the iodine receptors in the thyroid, impairs thyroid activity. Virtually all major cities in the U.S. fluoridate the municipal water supply and it is estimated that approximately 2/3 of Americans drink fluoridated water despite the fact that: "...[Even though Europeans have eschewed] 'one of the top ten public health achievements of the twentieth century,' [according to the propaganda from the CDC], tooth decay rates have declined in Europe as precipitously over the past 50 years as they have in the United States. This raises serious questions about the CDC’s assertion that the decline of tooth decay in the United States since the 1950s is largely attributable to the advent of water fluoridation..." Because of the thyroid impairment, there are millions of Americans who simply cannot convert blood sugar to energy and as it climbs higher, it is recognized as being a grave threat by the body which then, moves to convert it to body fat as a "safer alternative" than going into diabetic coma. :frown: Fluoride dosing was developed by the Nazis as a potential way to pacify the people. :huh: Make of it what you will.
    Well that certainly didn't take long to get to Godwin's Law. At least now we know we can ignore the nonsense.

What about the minor detail that flouride is a major component in tea? I'd ask for evidence of your claims again, but you've shown clearly that you're a conspiracy nut that doesn't want anything to do with facts or evidence.

Your reference to Godwin's Law is the resort of those who do not know the facts and are merely interested in destroying dissenting opinion. Is yours a political agenda then? Referring to me as a "conspiracy nut" is an ad hominem and intelligent people usually refrain from such.

Fluoride in tea is a problem: "...Perhaps the tea on its own would not be as much of an issue if Americans weren't already exposed to fluoride from other sources, but this isn't the case. Americans get fluoride from fluoridated water (which is also likely used to steep the tea), toothpastes, Teflon-coated cookware, some wines and sparkling mineral waters and chewing tobacco...Even so, British and African studies conducted in the 1990s have found that some people are drinking between 5.8 ppm and 9 ppm of fluoride everyday from tea alone! Remember that the EPA's safe limit for drinking water is 4 ppm..."

Skeletal fluorosis is a serious problem in many parts of the world but it tends to impair the thyroid long before skeletal fluorosis is contracted.
  • Wtn_Gurl
    Wtn_Gurl Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    to me, Paleo is pretty much one of the various kinds of low carb diet, however, I looked at the foods on it, and I think i can enjoy most of the food on it, but i want to drink milk, which i do not think is allowed on paleo. i got to thinking, i dont want to be a follower of any kind of Diet, almost like a religion - to that extent - but most of it i can follow, maybe the 80/20 paleo method would work for me. I think a person can lose weight better on a paleo diet than one with grains and stuff like that.
  • Charlottesometimes23
    Charlottesometimes23 Posts: 687 Member
    Options

Your reference to Godwin's Law is the resort of those who do not know the facts and are merely interested in destroying dissenting opinion. Is yours a political agenda then? Referring to me as a "conspiracy nut" is an ad hominem and intelligent people usually refrain from such.

Fluoride in tea is a problem: "...Perhaps the tea on its own would not be as much of an issue if Americans weren't already exposed to fluoride from other sources, but this isn't the case. Americans get fluoride from fluoridated water (which is also likely used to steep the tea), toothpastes, Teflon-coated cookware, some wines and sparkling mineral waters and chewing tobacco...Even so, British and African studies conducted in the 1990s have found that some people are drinking between 5.8 ppm and 9 ppm of fluoride everyday from tea alone! Remember that the EPA's safe limit for drinking water is 4 ppm..."

Skeletal fluorosis is a serious problem in many parts of the world but it tends to impair the thyroid long before skeletal fluorosis is contracted.

Can you cite your sources please.
  • SanteMulberry
    Options

I asked you to cite them. Telling me you can doesn't mean anything without the actual citations.

I do not play games with rude individuals who wouldn't respect a fact if it stood up and smacked them in the face. Does it frighten you that you may have been poisoned by the dunderheads who control our municipal water supplies? Is that why you refuse to look at facts that are actually becoming more and more supported? There is a growing movement in N. America to end the water fluoridation experiment. Could be that they know more than you.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Do you drink unfluorinated water?
    Torture using unfluorinated water is currently used to TORTURE people by the American government.
    Make of that what you will.

;)
  • tigersword
    Options

I do not play games with rude individuals who wouldn't respect a fact if it stood up and smacked them in the face. Does it frighten you that you may have been poisoned by the dunderheads who control our municipal water supplies? Is that why you refuse to look at facts that are actually becoming more and more supported? There is a growing movement in N. America to end the water fluoridation experiment. Could be that they know more than you.
    I don't drink municipal tap water without filtering it. Never have. Still waiting for those citations. You continue to make wilder and wilder claims, yet have not produced a shred of evidence.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Really good if you maintain the CrossFit lifestyle - near impossible if you aren't a daily gym rat though.

I've done crossfit. I've done paleo. I can't even begin to understand the logic behind your post...probably because it makes zero sense whatsoever.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    Really good if you maintain the CrossFit lifestyle - near impossible if you aren't a daily gym rat though.

i'm a crossfitter and i don't agree with it. i mean, yes, i don't eat a lot of grains but i'm not going to cut out whole food groups if they fit my macros. i don't like it being pushed on people as better than something else. if you want to do it, fine. however, when someone approaches me and tries to talk me into eating a certain way, i feel like someone is coming to my door trying to discuss literature with me to show me the way.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options

Come and drink the natural spring waters of Bahrain. Naturally containing too much fluorine to make it safe for long term human consumption. It comes out of the ground containing high enough levels of fluorine to cause long term health problems if drunk for a lifetime (but won't harm you if you only drink it once in a while).

Lots of natural spring waters contain fluorine. Not usually as high as the levels you find in Bahraini spring water, but it can be as high as or higher than the amount of fluorine added to tap water in some western countries.

I've drunk Bahraini tap water though.... it's not something I intend to do very often though. Not because of the fluorine, but because it's hands down the worst tasting water I've ever tasted in my entire life. It actually tastes that vile that i can't drink tea made from it, because even the tea doesn't disguise the general taste and sliminess of it. Yes it tastes slimy. No idea how they managed to make it taste slimy while it still being kind of fit for human consumption, but it does.

Anyway, point is that fluorine can and often does occur naturally in the water. Fluorine is a mineral that the human body needs and helps with bone and teeth mineralisation. Adding it to water that doesn't have naturally high levels of fluorine is just making it more like the water that has naturally higher amounts of fluorine in it. Yep, it's harmful in excess..... but plenty of other vitamins and minerals are harmful in excess, such as iron and vitamin A. And I don't see *ANY* of the harmful effects of fluorine in the USA population that were found in traditional Bahraini populations. Long term excessive doses of fluorine cause specific problems with the skeleton that were so endemic in traditional Bahraini populations (i.e. pre-industrial Bahraini populations) they were considered a normal part of old age... these problems are not found in the USA population even though they're living to older ages than traditional Bahraini people did, so clearly they're not putting too much fluorine in the water.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options

I notice you didn't address the question AT ALL. A rude personal attack doesn't resolve the issue.
  • aarondnguyen
    aarondnguyen Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Faileo.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Faileo.

:laugh:
  • Charlottesometimes23
    Charlottesometimes23 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Faileo.

You win!! :flowerforyou:
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

Excuse me again, but didn't you claim that wheat made one fat? Older people in Italy are also not obese. I will say that they walk much more than Americans, but doesn't that substantiate calories in--calories out? As to the fluroride claim, thank God the Nazis didn't pacify Italy---only America!

PS Italians do have thyroid issues since they did not put iodine in their salt. Since I've been here they've started to add it about 15 years ago. Now, if I understand your claim here, they should be obese because of thyroid malfunction. But they're not. :noway:
  • SanteMulberry
    Options

Excuse me again, but didn't you claim that wheat made one fat? Older people in Italy are also not obese. I will say that they walk much more than Americans, but doesn't that substantiate calories in--calories out? As to the fluroride claim, thank God the Nazis didn't pacify Italy---only America!

PS Italians do have thyroid issues since they did not put iodine in their salt. Since I've been here they've started to add it about 15 years ago. Now, if I understand your claim here, they should be obese because of thyroid malfunction. But they're not. :noway:

There are many factors in the obesity puzzle. First, I did not say that wheat "makes people fat"--I said that it "tends" to make people fat but I should have said that it "tends to make SOME people fat" (but I spoke to that in the next sentence when I also mentioned sugar). I also said that ANY food that precipitously raises blood glucose levels is a problem for obese folk. I know that from my own and other people's experience as well as from reading a lot of scientific literature on the subject.

The administration of iodine salts protects the thyroid from the ravages of fluoride. But, if there is little or no fluoride exposure, then there is nothing to fend off (and anyway, the Italians eat a LOT of seafood--getting their iodine that way). In areas where the people eat lots of seafood, there is little need for supplemental iodine (in fact, it can be counter-productive in terms of thyroid health). The reason why the mid-western U.S. is called the "goiter-belt" is because the people get very little iodine (without supplementation) and they develop goiters because of it. I didn't say that the Nazis "pacified the U.S.--only that they came up with the idea of using fluoride to "sedate" conquered populations. By the way, the mineral selenium is useful to help the body rid itself of fluoride. But selenium is, itself, toxic. Brazil nuts vary in the amount of selenium they contain but in general, they contain a lot of selenium. Our soils in North America are selenium poor. Haven't looked at what they are like in Europe.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

There are many factors in the obesity puzzle. First, I did not say that wheat "makes people fat"--I said that it "tends" to make people fat but I should have said that it "tends to make SOME people fat" (but I spoke to that in the next sentence when I also mentioned sugar). I also said that ANY food that precipitously raises blood glucose levels is a problem for obese folk. I know that from my own and other people's experience as well as from reading a lot of scientific literature on the subject.

The administration of iodine salts protects the thyroid from the ravages of fluoride. But, if there is little or no fluoride exposure, then there is nothing to fend off (and anyway, the Italians eat a LOT of seafood--getting their iodine that way). In areas where the people eat lots of seafood, there is little need for supplemental iodine (in fact, it can be counter-productive in terms of thyroid health). The reason why the mid-western U.S. is called the "goiter-belt" is because the people get very little iodine (without supplementation) and they develop goiters because of it. I didn't say that the Nazis "pacified the U.S.--only that they came up with the idea of using fluoride to "sedate" conquered populations. By the way, the mineral selenium is useful to help the body rid itself of fluoride. But selenium is, itself, toxic. Brazil nuts vary in the amount of selenium they contain but in general, they contain a lot of selenium. Our soils in North America are selenium poor. Haven't looked at what they are like in Europe.

Selenium is an essential nutrient. What makes it more toxic than other essential nutrients? Most nutrients are toxic if you get too much of them.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    Another paleo thread? Just do a search for the other 100. This topic has been beat to death...