Paleo.

Options

Replies

• tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Giving up legumes is stupid. Better advice is "eat more legumes"

Legumes aren't essential to human health, so giving them up or not giving them up isn't even worth thinking about.

? What do you get from legumes that you cannot get from alternative sources?
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    b31d0718e2485cc800aeb700790d7a0f2bcff83fc9cb0a1f9a4bf0dbaf8d7daa.jpg

Bad meme is bad. Yes, caves actually do come with built-in air-conditioning. Most caves stay between 50-60 degrees Fahrenheit year-round. (The more you know!)

Yes. Has anyone ever slept in a cave???

I did a couple of times and then one night got drove out by bats.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options

I am still unsure as to what a legume is

Beans, pulses, peas, lentils, peanuts, cashews.

and I've studied palaeoanthropology for years and still don't understand why legumes would be banned in a "paleo" diet....

or grains for that matter.

dairy I get... except that a lot of people have evolved the ability to digest lactose since the neolithic era
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Paleo Flex may be easier for people to stick to - it's basically where you do mostly Paleo and yet you still eat some of the foods that are considered a no-no on the strict Paleo regimen. Basically, you cut out all processed foods and then you decide if you just can't live without cheese, that you use that as a Flex item. Really what it comes down to, is that if you are interested in Paleo but think it's too strict, don't do Paleo, but you can still incorporate some of the good habits in your regimen that Paleo espouses.
    So really, it's basically not Paleo at all, but if it is easier to associate what you do food-wise to a specific name, then do that, whatever makes it easier for you to reach your goals.

I'm vegetarian flex:

I eat mostly fruits and vegetables until I wan to ea some meat.

I'm also sugar free flex:

I eat mostly non processed foods with added sugar until I want some processed foods with some added sugar.

I'm also VLCD flex:

I eat very low calories until that point in the day where I eat more and stop being very low calorie.

I'm also (insert diet name here):

Maybe it's just me but I find it hard to be (insert diet name here with strict dietary adherence rules, hence the diet getting a name in the first place) but then being able to continue to say I'm on that diet when I sometimes decide I don't want to be.

Either embrace it and say you're using that particular diet or don't and tell people you eat what you want when you feel like it because that's what you're doing when you're "flex" this or "mostly" that.
  • neandermagnon
    Options
    1. It I nothing like how actually paleolithic people ate.
    2. It is not some magical fat loss solution.
    3. too restrictive for me.
    4. There are about 1000 different versions of it, which I am still trying to figure out why. If Paleo is so great why not do it 100% of the time.
    5. If you want to do it, great. Just realize, the previous four items that I posted still hold true.

it's not restrictive...just buy our product. processed whey is as good as raw milk if we say so....

Choc30_powder_reflect__72057_zoom.jpg

I wrote a blog post about palaeolithic protein powder: http://cavepeopleandstuff.wordpress.com/2013/08/31/palaeolithic-protein-powder/

it has cartoons of Homo erectus and other humans hunting protein powder
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I'm just trying to understand your train of thought. I've made my own cola and my own root beer. It's easy and fun. We did it back when we were homeschooling. It was part of our Colonial America unit. I've never made my own bacon, but it sounds harder to me, based on the number of steps and length of time. But it sounds like you have an entirely different basis, which is fine.

When you made it, were you making it by combining purchased already-processed ingredients or did you start with the basics like non-carbonated water, sugar, etc.? I'd be pretty surprised (and impressed) if the latter. On the other hand, a brining mixture, a cut of pork belly and some smoke is much simpler and closer to the natural sources in my mind. That said, it's probably an unfair comparison, because I'm sure there's a more natural version of cola than diet coke that one could make and I'm positive there are bacon products out there with additives/preservatives/etc. that aren't simply brined and smoked.

And, by sugar, you mean honey, I suppose. Because what other non-processed sugar is there? And these spices, they are all in there natural state as berries, leaves, and such? Or they are dried and ground by man?

And where in the heck do I find apple cider vinegar in the wild?

And even "raw, organic" honey needs to be processed, at least somewhat.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

Legumes aren't essential to human health, so giving them up or not giving them up isn't even worth thinking about.

What do you get from broccoli that you cannot get from alternative sources? What do you get from coconut oil that you cannot get from alternative sources? What do you get from <insert ANY food here> that you cannot get from alternative sources?

Why would a general recommendation to eat more of something require that it be the only source of something?

Though I would not be surprised if you could not find another single food that contained as good a mix of fiber, protein and micronutrients as some legumes.
  • neandermagnon
    Options
    I'm just trying to understand your train of thought. I've made my own cola and my own root beer. It's easy and fun. We did it back when we were homeschooling. It was part of our Colonial America unit. I've never made my own bacon, but it sounds harder to me, based on the number of steps and length of time. But it sounds like you have an entirely different basis, which is fine.

When you made it, were you making it by combining purchased already-processed ingredients or did you start with the basics like non-carbonated water, sugar, etc.? I'd be pretty surprised (and impressed) if the latter. On the other hand, a brining mixture, a cut of pork belly and some smoke is much simpler and closer to the natural sources in my mind. That said, it's probably an unfair comparison, because I'm sure there's a more natural version of cola than diet coke that one could make and I'm positive there are bacon products out there with additives/preservatives/etc. that aren't simply brined and smoked.

And, by sugar, you mean honey, I suppose. Because what other non-processed sugar is there? And these spices, they are all in there natural state as berries, leaves, and such? Or they are dried and ground by man?

Homo erectus ate totally raw organic honey. It still had bee larvae in it. Great source of protein though :drinker:
  • bcattoes
    Options

You can't just eat it right out of the hive?
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

Ingredients: yeast, water, sugar, flavoring

You just soften the yeast in warm water, then add flavoring, sugar, and then hot water, all in a large glass jar. (like the kind for sun tea). Then you let it sit in a window all day. Open. Drink. Yum. Not hard at all.
    Just don't leave it closed for too long, otherwise yum becomes mess... :drinker:

It has probably been 5 years, maybe 7, since we made this. The kids thought it was the coolest thing ever. I don't remember the exact recipe, but I remember it being one the easiest crafts we did when the kids were little. I'm not very crafty, generally speaking.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

Unique yumminess! :drinker:
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    Paleo Flex may be easier for people to stick to - it's basically where you do mostly Paleo and yet you still eat some of the foods that are considered a no-no on the strict Paleo regimen. Basically, you cut out all processed foods and then you decide if you just can't live without cheese, that you use that as a Flex item. Really what it comes down to, is that if you are interested in Paleo but think it's too strict, don't do Paleo, but you can still incorporate some of the good habits in your regimen that Paleo espouses.
    So really, it's basically not Paleo at all, but if it is easier to associate what you do food-wise to a specific name, then do that, whatever makes it easier for you to reach your goals.

I'm vegetarian flex:

I eat mostly fruits and vegetables until I wan to ea some meat.

I'm also sugar free flex:

I eat mostly non processed foods with added sugar until I want some processed foods with some added sugar.

I'm also VLCD flex:

I eat very low calories until that point in the day where I eat more and stop being very low calorie.

I'm also (insert diet name here):

Maybe it's just me but I find it hard to be (insert diet name here with strict dietary adherence rules, hence the diet getting a name in the first place) but then being able to continue to say I'm on that diet when I sometimes decide I don't want to be.

Either embrace it and say you're using that particular diet or don't and tell people you eat what you want when you feel like it because that's what you're doing when you're "flex" this or "mostly" that.

My macros are 50/20/30, but my diet is:

50% vegetarian
    20% SAD
    30% Paleo

:laugh:
  • Strokingdiction
    Options

Unique yumminess! :drinker:

Not to mention the knowledge that those plants are nitrogen fixing, thereby increasing the viability of cropland.
  • SnicciFit
    SnicciFit Posts: 967 Member
    Options

Anything that advocates the following things are however good in my book... eggs... bacon....steak

Don't forget veggies & fat :)
  • TX_Rhon
    TX_Rhon Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    4. There are about 1000 different versions of it, which I am still trying to figure out why. If Paleo is so great why not do it 100% of the time.
    5. If you want to do it, great. Just realize, the previous four items that I posted still hold true.

I have bacon cooked in butter on whole wheat bread smothered in cheese.
    If that's paleo then I am in.

It's not. I don't know how bacon could even be considered Paleo since it is a man-made food.

I'm sure that they had bacon animals back in the day.
    but then wouldn't it be processed and bad for you? If you slaughter a pig and make bacon out of it, it is then processed, right?

Ok, so I am late to this party but does this mean no corned beef? No delicious Ruben Sammies? Then I'm out!

But on a serious note: Cutting bacon from the pig means separating it from the source. When will someone define what the heck that means? Is this part of Paleo or vegetarianism? It seems everyone here has their own definition. Maybe I'n not considering Paleo cuz I'm friggin' confused!!!

/rant
  • neandermagnon
    Options

It's not. I don't know how bacon could even be considered Paleo since it is a man-made food.

but then wouldn't it be processed and bad for you? If you slaughter a pig and make bacon out of it, it is then processed, right?

Ok, so I am late to this party but does this mean no corned beef? No delicious Ruben Sammies? Then I'm out!

But on a serious note: Cutting bacon from the pig means separating it from the source. When will someone define what the heck that means? Is this part of Paleo or vegetarianism? It seems everyone here has their own definition. Maybe I'n not considering Paleo cuz I'm friggin' confused!!!

/rant

The palaeolithic era is defined by the use of stone tools, and the earliest stone tools were used to butcher animal carcasses. So cutting bits off the animal you're eating is palaeolithic. Although pig isn't, because like sheep and cows, they're domestic animals which are the result of selective breeding. Wild boar is paleo but pig is not. Cooking meat is middle palaeolithic, as the use of fire is generally considered to be one of the major distinctions between lower and middle palaeolithic culture.

That said, paleo dieters have never let any actual real palaeoanthropology or archaeological evidence influence their decisions thus far about what to allow or disallow on their diet, so I don't expect the above information to have any bearing on anything at all. I don't eat paleo, I just love studying palaeoanthropology.
  • TX_Rhon
    TX_Rhon Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    The palaeolithic era is defined by the use of stone tools, and the earliest stone tools were used to butcher animal carcasses. So cutting bits off the animal you're eating is palaeolithic. Although pig isn't, because like sheep and cows, they're domestic animals which are the result of selective breeding. Wild boar is paleo but pig is not. Cooking meat is middle palaeolithic, as the use of fire is generally considered to be one of the major distinctions between lower and middle palaeolithic culture.

That said, paleo dieters have never let any actual real palaeoanthropology or archaeological evidence influence their decisions thus far about what to allow or disallow on their diet, so I don't expect the above information to have any bearing on anything at all. I don't eat paleo, I just love studying palaeoanthropology.

Too much to remember after a long day at work so I'll stick to the HEB diet and eat whatever I can buy there!! Luckily, they sell bacon!! ;)
  • Strokingdiction
    Options

/rant

Bacon is more than just butchering it from the whole animal. Bacon, almost exclusively, is a cured meat. A large slab of meat is cut from the belly, sides or back (usually the belly) and then dry cured. It's process of rubbing the bacon with spices and then letting it refrigerate for a couple of days. A follow up smoking the now cured meat is another common process in a lot of bacon making.

I have no idea of it is paleo or not. I honestly don't know what qualifies some foods and disqualify others. Did paleolithic man make bacon? I don't know. I know some of the paleolithic species definitely smoked meats, knowledge I've lightly maintained from that Anthro class I took a fair time ago. So while there is an amount of processing to be done before you can call that hunk of pork meat bacon, I don't know if would disqualify it from this particular diet's rules.
  • bcattoes
    Options

/rant

There are no sammies at all on the Paleo Diet because you can't have grains. You can slap meat between two pieces of lettuce and pretend it's a sandwich though.
  • bcattoes
    Options
    Bacon is more than just butchering it from the whole animal. Bacon, almost exclusively, is a cured meat. A large slab of meat is cut from the belly, sides or back (usually the belly) and then dry cured. It's process of rubbing the bacon with spices and then letting it refrigerate for a couple of days. A follow up smoking the now cured meat is another common process in a lot of bacon making.

Technically, bacon is always smoked. Cured, but not smoked, pork belly is panchetta.