Dont be afraid to EAT MORE ladies!

Options

Replies

• mzbek24
    mzbek24 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    This is actually the kind of post I needed to read! I'm in the process of coming to terms with the whole eating more thing. I'm scared about it...I'm going up from 1200 to 1499, according to my TDEE, so it is good to read someone elses experience with this kind of thing.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I agree with you, OP! I'm 42 years old, moderately active and my TDEE is right around 2400. I lost 66 pounds and reached my goal of 135 lbs eating well over 2000 calories a day.
  • nygrl4evr
    nygrl4evr Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Good discustion, we were just talking about this at work yesterday.
  • Blueeyedgirl4
    Blueeyedgirl4 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    UpEarly, do you mind if I message you? I'm also 42 and have about 55 ibs. To lose and had a question about how you used the TDEE method?
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    UpEarly, do you mind if I message you? I'm also 42 and have about 55 ibs. To lose and had a question about how you used the TDEE method?

Sure! Message away! :smile:
  • AlliSteff
    AlliSteff Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Agreed! I switched to TDEE last week and am feeling good. 1600 for me
  • mandasalem
    mandasalem Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    See, this is where grammar is important.

Don't be afraid to eat more, ladies. Otherwise this is cannibalistic/sexual advice.

Came in for this. Thanks :D
  • purplemurfy
    purplemurfy Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    You are soooo right! I've been eating 1900-1950 calories, even started out at 2050 calories and I've lost 45 lbs....yes, by eating more than pretty much any other "diet" suggests. That's why this is a lifestyle change and not a diet. I can live on this and the gradual decrease in calories as I lose more.

Ignore the negative posts - there will always be some. Clearly this doesn't work for every single person on earth. But guess what? I have low thyroid and PCOS and both of those make it much harder to lose weight and the "negative" people would think I'd need to eat less, but eating more has worked wonders. :happy:

Keep up the good work OP!
  • loconnor466
    loconnor466 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I also upped my calories here, from 1430 to 1560 and started seeing the scale move, My TDEE is 1700. So if I go over my MFP goal a little, I still feel pretty good and I am still losing about 1 to 1.5 pounds per week!
  • craftywitch_63
    craftywitch_63 Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    When I started MFP I set my goals for 1200 calories - no cheating (eating back calories kind of felt like "cheating" to me). I lost weight but then would sabotage myself by bingeing. Then I decided to find out how many calories I REALLY need - according to Scooby is 1455, MFP says 1410 so I go with the 1410. I eat most of my calories back, according to MFP. The bingeing has stopped and I eat 6 or 7 times a day so I'm never hungry. And my weight loss is set for 0.5 pounds/week but I've actually been losing more. Cheating has never been so effective!! :laugh:
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Not everyone can eat more. The older you get the less you need to eat, so for me my TDEE is 1900.... in a few years I'm guessing even less.... soo it will be less than 1200 I'm guessing & if I eat more then I'll gain.

I don't think people need to eat if they are not hungry, and have real hunger not just think they are hungry. I for one am not going to put food in my mouth unless I know I am hungry.

But this topic has been done to death. How about letting people do what they want & you concentrate on your own life & eating? I don't care what others do.

if you do not care what others do why even post in the thread????
  • DrJenO
    DrJenO Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I think the reason that "I can't lose on 1200 ZOMG!!!" thing happens is that people are STARVING on 1200 calories and then binge enough to negate that huge deficit, but they don't track those days b/c they are all like "hey, cheat day, won't log it".

I do a sort of hybrid of NEAT+exercise/TDEE, where I watch my weekly calories and make sure I stay below my total weekly allotment. It's amazing how narrow a window I stay within week after week, when my daily calories range from 1700-2300.
  • ChristinWrites
    ChristinWrites Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I agree also. I started out on the 1200 recommended here and it was just not enough. I was hungry, cranky etc. It's a real challenge to fit enough nutrients into the small calories too in my opinion. I bought a bodymedia armband and have used those numbers and increased my calories to 1500 a day and I am seeing better results and not feeling like I want to chew off my arm. Everyone's metabolism/lifestyle is different of course, but I think the 1200 number is thrown around here very often and I don't think it's right for many.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why you were afraid to eat your exercise calories back using the MFP method, but you weren't afraid of eating 1700 calories per day.
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    I think the reason that "I can't lose on 1200 ZOMG!!!" thing happens is that people are STARVING on 1200 calories and then binge enough to negate that huge deficit, but they don't track those days b/c they are all like "hey, cheat day, won't log it".

I do a sort of hybrid of NEAT+exercise/TDEE, where I watch my weekly calories and make sure I stay below my total weekly allotment. It's amazing how narrow a window I stay within week after week, when my daily calories range from 1700-2300.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^ +1 AGREED!
  • gmthisfeller
    gmthisfeller Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    The title of this thread cries out for a strategically place comma!
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Amen to the OP! I am a woman who is not afraid to eat :happy: I eat between 1900-2200 per day to maintain my weight loss. I know there are people, women especially, who think if they eat more they will gain weight but I'm here to say not so. Even as I was losing weight I found I had to increase my calories to lose more weight. Sounds backwards and it goes against everything we think we know but it works :smile:

I wish my sister was here to see this...she insists that is she eats more than 1700 she gains.

I told her what I ate yesterday which at that point was about 1500...french toast, bacon, pasta, shrimp cooked in bacon fat, bbq chicken and carrots along with coffee etc and I still have my chocolate to eat and 200 left...

Guess what she can eat what I do and still lose weight her TDEE is about 2300....if not higher...I can eat 2300 and maintain my weight...

Everyone's goal here should be to eat the maximum number of calories possible and still lose weight...no need for most to eat so little...

^^^^ I agree

also I think the reason why many people think they gain at lower numbers than they really do, like your sister thinking she gains at 1700 cals/day, is because when you increase your calories, even if still in deficit, you usually get a glycogen/water weight gain, which shows on the scale as 1-2lb increase in a short time.... a lot of people don't realise that this happens and they freak out and think they're above maintenance when they're not. Once you let the water/glycogen weight gains stop, if you're still in deficit the result is that the weight goes down again. But it can take a week or two before you see the loss on the scale. Most people don't give higher calorie numbers a chance. Also having more glycogen in your system means having more energy and doing better workouts, which means people may end up burning more calories in their daily activity, so their TDEE gets higher as a result of eating more, so that increases the amount of fat lost as well.
  • BigTireFlipper
    BigTireFlipper Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Not everyone can eat more. The older you get the less you need to eat, so for me my TDEE is 1900.... in a few years I'm guessing even less.... soo it will be less than 1200 I'm guessing & if I eat more then I'll gain.

Everyone that's here to lose weight has proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that they can eat more.
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    See, this is where grammar is important.

Don't be afraid to eat more, ladies. Otherwise this is cannibalistic/sexual advice.
    c893656c4bc54cfbe88e59d5f956dbd27f1_zps829f2d0e.gif
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    In for eating more ladies, i mean ladies eating more.