Dont be afraid to EAT MORE ladies!

Options

Replies

• LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Not everyone can eat more. The older you get the less you need to eat, so for me my TDEE is 1900.... in a few years I'm guessing even less.... soo it will be less than 1200 I'm guessing & if I eat more then I'll gain.

I don't think people need to eat if they are not hungry, and have real hunger not just think they are hungry. I for one am not going to put food in my mouth unless I know I am hungry.

But this topic has been done to death. How about letting people do what they want & you concentrate on your own life & eating? I don't care what others do.

Well... someone ain't getting enough eatin done...
  • hirstrl
    hirstrl Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I am fairly new to this. i started briefly last year then started back up a couple of months ago. I log everything good and bad and the days i exercise and stay under i feel wonderful but the days i go over i feel horrible!... but on the occassion i do go over and dread that weigh in. im still down. have been consistantly. my thoughts are this. its your total calorie intake vs burn per week. if i stay under 5-6 days a week and i go over a little say 500 cal on the 7th day i will still lose. Not a habit i want to get into but it is nice to know that there is wiggle room :)
  • spicy618
    spicy618 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    Not everyone can eat more. The older you get the less you need to eat, so for me my TDEE is 1900.... in a few years I'm guessing even less.... soo it will be less than 1200 I'm guessing & if I eat more then I'll gain.

I don't think people need to eat if they are not hungry, and have real hunger not just think they are hungry. I for one am not going to put food in my mouth unless I know I am hungry.

But this topic has been done to death. How about letting people do what they want & you concentrate on your own life & eating? I don't care what others do.

Well... someone ain't getting enough eatin done...

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options

I am 57 1/2 and work out fairly heavily 6 days a week. My TDEE is 1,168. At 80%, I would have to eat 934 calories in order to lose weight. This is just NOT for everyone.

This makes me confused.

Some posters, who are in the 40s have responded, stating eating more works for them.

I'm curious to know from those people who are 40s and eating, over 1500 calories; what types of workouts and how often and at what intensity are these workouts done?

I'm 5'4, 165, 45 y/o female, desk job. Workout at least 3 times a week, sometimes 5 (rollerblading, stairmaster, 5x5, elliptical, walking at least 4 miles).

Why when I tried eating at 1600 plus exercise I gained (tired it for about 6 months)? Yes, the gain was slow, but i gained. It seems I can only lose at 1400, with at least 5 hours of exercise a week.:grumble: I've had my thyroid and hormones checked... all good.

I have a sweet tooth, but isn't it calories in/calories out?

I've just given up and went back to 1200. :cry:

I'm 42, 5'2", 125 lbs. I run 3 days a week, and that's about all the exercise I'm doing at the moment. I maintain at 1800 PLUS excercise calories, so most days I can eat 2100 or more, and not gain. I can lose at 1500 PLUS exercise calories.

Most women do not need to eat so low as 1200.
  • wazert
    wazert Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Eat more but how much more?
    Do you guys think we should eat at least our BMR?
    My BMR is 1350, TDEE 1850. MFP always puts me on a 1200 calories diet. I had set my goal manually at 1400 and was targeting 1200 (I always set a bit higher as I don't like seeing the red color, a psychological thing, it makes me feel like being over by 5 cals is a big deal though I know it's not).
    Anyway, after reading this thread I have changed my goal to 1500 and will target 1400 I think.
  • mycupyourcake
    mycupyourcake Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why you were afraid to eat your exercise calories back using the MFP method, but you weren't afraid of eating 1700 calories per day.

This!
  • choll80
    choll80 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I just calculated my TDEE and it was 2182. I am currently at 1440 MFP cals per day. I can't imagine 500 cals or more than that? My daily average is about 1500 which puts me under goal on workout days (4-5 days a week), and I feel satisfied (i.e. not hungry) most days. I am usually close on my macros too but have seemed to stall out a little this week (only down .2 lbs). Advice?
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Also, OP.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAjX2en-XDg (explicit lyrics)
  • Cathalain
    Cathalain Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I'm curious to know from those people who are 40s and eating, over 1500 calories; what types of workouts and how often and at what intensity are these workouts done?

I'm 42. Currently eating 1650/day. I'm working out 3 to 4 times per week, most often cardio (but slowly starting weight training). Elliptical, stationary bike, Arc trainer, treadmill, whatever takes my fancy for that day. When I do treadmill, I do the C25K program (restarting it right now but got up to Week 4 at one point). I burn 600 calories on the low (each session), as much as 850 to 900 on a "high" night. 60 minutes a session. I also walk to work and back, and as much as possible otherwise. I average probably about 4 to 6 miles a day, depending on the time of the week (measured with a FitBit).

ETA: I split my workout sessions between two machines; 30 minutes of this, 30 minutes of that. It's rare I'll do the whole 60 minutes on one machine (and it's not a good idea for me in particular, as I need different exercises to 'stimulate' me).

I have never had a problem meeting/staying under my calorie goals. My macros, though, another story. I'm still working on controlling a lot of things (I have a particular problem with too much sodium and protein). But it seems to work, as I'm still losing weight.

ETA: I still have 83 pounds left to go, but I've lost 117 already (17 here on MFP, 100 pre-MFP), if that makes a difference. 5'4", currently 226 pounds, started at 343 (ugh). Goal weight 143. Okay, I'm done now. :bigsmile:
  • mycupyourcake
    mycupyourcake Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Everyone has a different body composition, metabolism and lifestyle. We all need to find what works for us. For myself I have been logging for 3 plus months now and have not lost weight or inches. I guess I haven't found my sweet spot yet. Oh and I don't have cheat days per se. I have days where I eat whatever I want but I log it all. TDEE calcs don't work for everyone. I know because I know my maintenance calories now after 3 months and they are much MUCH lower than what the TDEE has calculated. I also don't have a ton of weight to lose. I am 4 pounds overweight by the charts but would like to be down 25-30 pounds and the last 5-7 are vanity pounds. It's just harder to lose weight the closer you are to a healthy body weight.
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry the title still has me giggling.

I like eating like a lady...Two hands in the cookie jar. I'm 26 5'3.5" and have been maintaining around 2300 calories a day. It's nice. Have fun eating ladies!
  • Squamation
    Squamation Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Maybe this topic should be called: Try and eat at your TDEE -20% if you're looking to lose weight?

My TDEE -20% (according to the ever popular Scooby website) IS 1200 (1281 to be exact) so eating more for me WOULD cause weight gain.

I'm very happy to hear OP that you're enjoying being able to eat more on your weight loss journey and MFP is a great website, mostly. I wish you all the best of luck!
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options

I am 57 1/2 and work out fairly heavily 6 days a week. My TDEE is 1,168. At 80%, I would have to eat 934 calories in order to lose weight. This is just NOT for everyone.

This makes me confused.

Some posters, who are in the 40s have responded, stating eating more works for them.

I'm 5'4, 165, 45 y/o female, desk job. Workout at least 3 times a week, sometimes 5 (rollerblading, stairmaster, 5x5, elliptical, walking at least 4 miles).

Why when I tried eating at 1600 plus exercise I gained (tired it for about 6 months)? Yes, the gain was slow, but i gained. It seems I can only lose at 1400, with at least 5 hours of exercise a week.:grumble: I've had my thyroid and hormones checked... all good.

I'm 42, 5'2", 125 lbs. I run 3 days a week, and that's about all the exercise I'm doing at the moment. I maintain at 1800 PLUS excercise calories, so most days I can eat 2100 or more, and not gain. I can lose at 1500 PLUS exercise calories.

I'm pretty sure that a lot of people *think* they are eating 1200 but are actually eating 1500-1700. So when they eat "1700" and gain, they are probably eating closer to 2000. I refuse to believe that I am a unique snowflake with a ridiculously high metabolism, considering that I've bounced up and down and been overweight-obese while sedentary for long periods of time.

Right now, I meticulously count calories and weigh/measure every single thing I eat, overestimate when I eat out/at family dinners. I go over my -20% figure 2 days a week and am still losing .5-1 lbs a week. I can't imagine gaining on 1600 calories.
  • suzywantsitall
    suzywantsitall Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Because of the Very Negative post by the first person is the reason a lot of us don't like posting subjects, no one likes to be slapped in front of thousands of people. Just my thoughts, and they are just that "my thoughts"
  • spicy618
    Options

I'm 42. Currently eating 1650/day. I'm working out 3 to 4 times per week, most often cardio (but slowly starting weight training). Elliptical, stationary bike, Arc trainer, treadmill, whatever takes my fancy for that day. When I do treadmill, I do the C25K program (restarting it right now but got up to Week 4 at one point). I burn 600 calories on the low (each session), as much as 850 to 900 on a "high" night. 60 minutes a session. I also walk to work and back, and as much as possible otherwise. I average probably about 4 to 6 miles a day, depending on the time of the week (measured with a FitBit).

ETA: I split my workout sessions between two machines; 30 minutes of this, 30 minutes of that. It's rare I'll do the whole 60 minutes on one machine (and it's not a good idea for me in particular, as I need different exercises to 'stimulate' me).

I have never had a problem meeting/staying under my calorie goals. My macros, though, another story. I'm still working on controlling a lot of things (I have a particular problem with too much sodium and protein). But it seems to work, as I'm still losing weight.

ETA: I still have 83 pounds left to go, but I've lost 117 already (17 here on MFP, 100 pre-MFP), if that makes a difference. 5'4", currently 226 pounds, started at 343 (ugh). Goal weight 143. Okay, I'm done now. :bigsmile:

Thank you for your detailed response! Good information. You have some high burn days. :happy: Like you, when I put in some serious hours with cardio, that's when i saw losses. We have the same Goal weight! Congrats for the weightloss so far! You are doing a great job. :flowerforyou:
  • spicy618
    Options

This makes me confused.

Thank you for your response. I do go over 1200 most days anyway. :laugh: I really need to find my numbers. All calculators show i should only eat 1400 for losses.
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    Maybe this topic should be called: Try and eat at your TDEE -20% if you're looking to lose weight?

My TDEE -20% (according to the ever popular Scooby website) IS 1200 (1281 to be exact) so eating more for me WOULD cause weight gain.

I'm very happy to hear OP that you're enjoying being able to eat more on your weight loss journey and MFP is a great website, mostly. I wish you all the best of luck!

Are you sure that isn't your BMR? Scooby has me at like 1700 calories to maintain my weight, which is ludicrous and to -20% is 1400...which I would never eat that little. I actually maintain at 2300. Calculators are just that, simple machines that cannot factor in all the variables but that seems like a crazy low amount for someone who is 5'7". I'm only 5'3.5 " and getting a higher -20%
  • aarar
    aarar Posts: 684 Member
    Options

Actually it was topics like this a year and a half ago that got me to realize I don't need to starve to lose weight. Having lost nearly 100lbs and maintained for 6 months and counting I'd say this method has worked much better than anything I've ever tried in the past. I'm thankful for these topics and hope others come to the same realization that I did.

Keep it up OP!
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options
    I'm sure it's illegal to eat someone...well..
  • spicy618
    Options

This makes me confused.

I'm pretty sure that a lot of people *think* they are eating 1200 but are actually eating 1500-1700. So when they eat "1700" and gain, they are probably eating closer to 2000. I refuse to believe that I am a unique snowflake with a ridiculously high metabolism, considering that I've bounced up and down and been overweight-obese while sedentary for long periods of time.

Right now, I meticulously count calories and weigh/measure every single thing I eat, overestimate when I eat out/at family dinners. I go over my -20% figure 2 days a week and am still losing .5-1 lbs a week. I can't imagine gaining on 1600 calories.

Thank you. :flowerforyou:

You are also, 15 years younger than I am. :flowerforyou: