Why did I gain a pound back if I didn't even eat!

Options

Replies

• rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,136 Member
    Options
    Water weight.
  • BadKittie05
    BadKittie05 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    "Guess we will see" was in response to the idea that someone knows exactly what will happen to me. In other words, I guess we will see if you know everything like you think, or if I will be successful in counting my calories properly, eating properly, working out properly AND taking the "evil little pill". I don't understand how it can be possible to automatically be labeled as "lazy" when I'm putting the work in as well. If I were taking the pill and just sitting around and not eating, sure you could call me "stupid", "uneducated", or accuse me of "not firing on all pistons", but that is simply not the case. I don't expect this to be an easy journey, and contrary to what it seems as though people believe will happen, I PLAN (there's the word you're looking for) to continue to eat properly and exercise after I reach my "goal". And BTW, I don't say "goal weight" because I am more concerned with getting this under control and forming new HABITS that will last me a lifetime. Goal means healthy. Some people need surgery, some people take pills, and some people don't do anything extra. You shouldn't put someone else down just for doing something different from you.
    So, I don't even care about the pills. All I was talking about was posting what you did on a public forum and having an expectation that people weren't going to say negative things. I was thinking of "the definition of insanity", but it's not quite the same. In 100% seriousness, I am glad to hear that you see a counselor. I manage mental illness myself (and I take pills for it, horror of horrors! but there's no talk of how I'm going to manage when I stop taking them, because there is no such time to look forward to), so sometimes I make light of it. If that is the case for you too, but you do not appreciate jokes about it, I sincerely apologize.

If the kind of counseling that you do is cognitive behavioral therapy, then something you might want to keep in mind is, if you have to start out by saying "Y'all don't badger me, but..." on a public forum, you might wanna rethink that course of behavior. It's not likely to lead where you want to go. It's a little bit like starting off with "I'm not a racist, but...", if you see what I mean. It's a red flag.

I understand where I went wrong in this. Point well made, and I am sincerely thanking you because that was something that I honestly did not even think about. So again, thank you.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    There are no absolutes, but the percentage of success with phentermine and keeping the weight off WITHOUT isn't in your favor. You MAY be one of the 10% who succeed, but I wouldn't count on that.
    What you can count on is that if you CAN do it without the medication now, your chances of weight gain will be greatly reduced.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

So then just stop taking it and hope for the best with only the exercise and tracking my food intake when that hasn't worked in the past?

Well you're on a prescription medication, so you should speak with your doctor before you stop. Don't take medical advice from yahoos on the internet.

That said, exercise and food tracking work. Well, let's rephrase that. You can track all you want but you won't lose weight unless you consistently hit your calorie goal. So let's not pretend that wouldn't work. It does work. It works all the time for everyone. Calorie deficit is literally the only thing that works.

You have issues with foods, you have cravings, etc. The critical thing for you is to exercise control over those cravings, and thus exercise control over your intake. That's what you'll need to do for the rest of your life.
  • BadKittie05
    Options
    I think these pills have such a low success rate because people don't change any of their habits. They expect these pills to be a miracle "take this you'll be thin" type of fad. But I've not seen where using the meds (in the manner she is using them: with regular meetings with her doc and therapist, having a healthier eating plan/patterns and exercising) won't help her control her out of control eating patterns (while doing the aforementioned) and form new habits. So that when she comes off the meds (which you typically do around the end of month three right?) she already has these healthy habits in place which will help her in future cravings and if used correctly could have completely new eating patterns. I mean you'll fail with the pills if you don't change behavior, but she is saying she is changing behaviors. Who is to say she'll not form new healthier habits that will be sustaining in the long run?

No one has answered this yet. I've been given "no one is saying ______" but other than you, I've not seen any real support for the method I am trying. Seems like the answer I'm getting from everyone is "Workout every day all day, eat clean, win!"
  • ldocampo
    ldocampo Posts: 34
    Options
    Wow. Stop taking pills and do it the right healthy way. That's not good for your body. Like, at all. You have no idea what sort of long term damage you could be doing.
  • JessG11
    JessG11 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I think these pills have such a low success rate because people don't change any of their habits. They expect these pills to be a miracle "take this you'll be thin" type of fad. But I've not seen where using the meds (in the manner she is using them: with regular meetings with her doc and therapist, having a healthier eating plan/patterns and exercising) won't help her control her out of control eating patterns (while doing the aforementioned) and form new habits. So that when she comes off the meds (which you typically do around the end of month three right?) she already has these healthy habits in place which will help her in future cravings and if used correctly could have completely new eating patterns. I mean you'll fail with the pills if you don't change behavior, but she is saying she is changing behaviors. Who is to say she'll not form new healthier habits that will be sustaining in the long run?

No one has answered this yet. I've been given "no one is saying ______" but other than you, I've not seen any real support for the method I am trying. Seems like the answer I'm getting from everyone is "Workout every day all day, eat clean, win!"

For some people changing behaviors is easy for others, not so much. I do believe that weight loss is as simple as less calories in versus burned. But I will never believe that only one "Behavior" is the way to get there. We all come from different environments and different psychosocial factors that can drastically effect our behaviors. To me modifying them should take these into account as well.
  • BadKittie05
    Options
    There are no absolutes, but the percentage of success with phentermine and keeping the weight off WITHOUT isn't in your favor. You MAY be one of the 10% who succeed, but I wouldn't count on that.
    What you can count on is that if you CAN do it without the medication now, your chances of weight gain will be greatly reduced.

IDEA Fitness member

So then just stop taking it and hope for the best with only the exercise and tracking my food intake when that hasn't worked in the past?

Well you're on a prescription medication, so you should speak with your doctor before you stop. Don't take medical advice from yahoos on the internet.

That said, exercise and food tracking work. Well, let's rephrase that. You can track all you want but you won't lose weight unless you consistently hit your calorie goal. So let's not pretend that wouldn't work. It does work. It works all the time for everyone. Calorie deficit is literally the only thing that works.

You have issues with foods, you have cravings, etc. The critical thing for you is to exercise control over those cravings, and thus exercise control over your intake. That's what you'll need to do for the rest of your life.

I think I just need to reevaluate my whole mindset on all of this. That is what I am understanding from all of this. Seems like I can't win any support or understanding with what I am currently doing, with the exception of one person. Here goes nothing. Feels like in putting myself on a plan for failure, but hell why not? Everyone seems to be agreeing that I am wrong.
  • YorriaRaine
    YorriaRaine Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Eat actual food, stop taking lax, see a doctor, get a life coach.
  • jonnythan
    Options

Work out all day every day? Eat clean?

No one said either of those.

In fact, this is what I recommend:

1) Set a reasonable calorie, protein, and fat goal. Stick to them. Every day.
    2) Do resistance training 2-4 times per week.
    3) Regularly (1-2x a week) engage in some sort of aerobic activity that you enjoy. This may be playing with your dog, playing tennis, hiking, whatever.
    4) Eat 4+ servings of vegetables a day.

Done.

That's it.

No "Workout every day all day"

No "eat clean."

Reasonable food intake, regular but not excessive exercise. No magic, no torture.
  • jonnythan
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

I think I just need to reevaluate my whole mindset on all of this. That is what I am understanding from all of this. Seems like I can't win any support or understanding with what I am currently doing, with the exception of one person. Here goes nothing. Feels like in putting myself on a plan for failure, but hell why not? Everyone seems to be agreeing that I am wrong.

I find this post encouraging.

Let's start with the one most critical, inescapable fact of this process: calorie deficit is the only means by which you can lose weight (barring some serious medical condition).

If you eat fewer calories than you use in a day, your body consumes its own mass to make up the difference.
  • BadKittie05
    Options

3) Regularly (1-2x a week) engage in some sort of aerobic activity that you enjoy. This may be playing with your dog, playing tennis, hiking, whatever.

Done.

That's it.

No "eat clean."

Reasonable food intake, regular but not excessive exercise. No magic, no torture.

That was a generalization based on what I see a lot of on MFP.
  • jonnythan
    Options

Done.

That's it.

No "eat clean."

I've literally never ever seen anyone suggest that you need to, let alone should, work out every day, and especially not all day.
  • hastingsmassage
    hastingsmassage Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    what a stupid girl..losing weight takes time. It takes months and years, its a life style change....stop what are you doing right now!
  • ZombieEarhart
    ZombieEarhart Posts: 320 Member
    Options

No way, you don't need to workout every day or "eat clean." I workout maybe 4 hours a week, and I don't eat clean by anyone's definition. But I stay under my calorie goals, and it works! If you're open to it, I know it can work for you too. Best of luck, friend!
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options

Done.

That's it.

No "eat clean."

I'm sorry, but I'm with Jonny here, and we're saying this precisely to be supportive to help you reach your goals. Take the pills, or don't take them. But all of the things above are still going to be needed. You may notice that I have been here for a good long while, yet my ticker has only moved 7 pounds. Because I usually choose not to be in a caloric deficit. And as a result, I have no right to expect that any fat will be removed from my body. Yet I still practice all of the above and log all my food, even when I'm eating at a surplus. I'm choosing to get stronger for one year before I shift focus back to fat loss again, but when I do, all of these things will still be in place, ready to go. Then the only thing I have to change is the number of calories I eat. I will also have a year of practice of living a healthful lifestyle and being OK with myself just the way I am, even if I'm carrying extra fat. So the number on the scale has no power over me. When the time comes to change, nothing will be standing in my way, and I will reach my goals with a lot less self-inflicted torture.

It can be that way for you, too, if you choose it.
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options

I don't work out every day. I also don't eat clean. I eat whatever I want. Stop lumping everyone together in this group you seem to think exists.
  • BadKittie05
    Options

Done.

That's it.

No "eat clean."

I've literally never ever seen anyone suggest that you need to, let alone should, work out every day, and especially not all day.

Generalization was not the best word, and I did not mean what I said in the literal sense of "every day, all day".
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Generalization was not the best word, and I did not mean what I said in the literal sense of "every day, all day".

Indeed.
  • BadKittie05
    Options

I don't work out every day. I also don't eat clean. I eat whatever I want. Stop lumping everyone together in this group you seem to think exists.

You are definitely not lumped with everyone else because I think you might be the only one who took that to heart.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I don't eat clean. I eat the appropriate # of calories to lose weight, and an appropriate combination of protein/carbs/fat.