Why does Planet Fitness get a bad rap?

Options
Just as the title suggests, why does it get such a bad rap? I've read the news stories about the PF employees asking certain gym goers to leave or cover up because they were "disrupting" others. Or, their pizza Monday or bagel mornings. Another story had something to do with the founder of PF being overweight himself. Oh, and the ever-famous lunk alarm.

With the slew of gym choices (PF, Retro, YMCA, Powerhouse, Anytime) so what if one of the hundreds (maybe even thousands) out there isn't just like the rest of the gyms? Why make sure a big deal that Planet Fitness is serving bagels and pizza to their clients? Aren't we supposed to eat carbs and not deprive ourselves?

20cfcd4ce784879609ba46f1e33e1e4a5d933107b4916047313da24b9a21c8c2.jpg

Replies

• Mattyb41185
    Options
    People are always going to say there gym is better do this or do that, Personally I go to PF and i'm fine with it they do have a lack of weights for lifting but once im ready for that stage in my journey ill see what exercise are compatible with what they have. I like it i see people work out there in the same outfit as previous gyms i went to and i still haven't seen this lunk alarm go off yet
  • patrickblo13
    patrickblo13 Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    They preach judgment free but they seem judge a lot of people so that is where most the controversy comes from
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    I don't get it. I'm assuming they offer a free trial? If its not a good fit for someone they can find a gym that is. Its not rocket science.
  • cedens312
    cedens312 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I use a PF as my gym, because it's cheap, and honestly I think that it's probably situation where every gym is different. My PF has a lot of free weights, and I've never heard of anyone getting asked to leave. But then again, I live in a relatively small area, so most people know each other. As for the Lunk Alarm, ours only goes off if someone presses it.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,622 Member
    Options
    As mentioned, if it's a "judgement free zone" then it should be judgement free from ANYONE. That's simply not the case. If they are going to say "no lunks, gym bunnies, etc." then just come out and say that they are a gym for the health improvement. Calling themselves Planet Fitness and dissuading some really fit individuals to attend is hypocritical.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Because of how they market themselves. They call people who lift heavy and people who are fit "lunks" and have a "lunk alarm" to shame people for doing things that fit people and those who like to lift heavy weights do, like grunting or dropping weights on the floor (which usually happens by accident).

Based purely on their marketing, I don't want to go there because I don't want to be the one who sets off the "lunk alarm". I don't like being the centre of attention, especially if I'm new to a place. Also it's very hypocritical to call yourself a "judgement free zone" yet have a "lunk alarm" to shame people that you judge to be "lunks". I'm pretty much what they'd consider to be a "lunk" because I'm naturally strong and like to lift heavy. I do sometimes drop weights, because that's the only safe way to get out of trouble if you get stuck at the bottom of a squat (I have rubber plates that can take being dropped and work out at home)

Also, they don't have squat racks (or at least most of their branches don't) - without a squat rack there's not much point me being in a gym, seeing as squats are a major part of my routine. And they banned deadlifting, which is also an important part of my routine.

So all in all, I can't see a reason to ever go to planet fitness.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    Yep, it's a combination of not having the equipment that a lot of people consider necessary to a "real gym" (note, I'm not bagging on cardio machines and weight machines; I think "real gyms" should have all of those things TOO!) and the fact that people who want to push themselves outside of their comfort zone are not welcome there.

If somebody essentially gives me the finger, it's no surprise that I'm going to want to give it right back.
  • Christine1701
    Options
    I LOVE my PF! People of all shapes, sizes & manner of dress workout there.I'm totally comfortable in my baggy sweats & a tee. Plus, the staff is wonderful. No one is FORCING anyone to eat pizza & bagels. Just because it is offered does not mean you have to eat it. I never have... Btw, way to go LassoOfTruth!!
  • matuskap
    matuskap Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    IMO this kind of place should be everywhere to take away the weak-willed people who "kind-of" work out from the "old-fashioned" gyms. Not trying to bash anyone but theres plenty of people who just come in, sit on a piece of equipment for 20 minutes working with smallest possible weight attached thinking about what are they gonna eat next and looking at clock just dying to get out of there guilt free(because the time was spent there...). This way they dont waste space in more hardcore gyms where people are more serious about working out. Also these kind of people usualy complain about the grunting and dropping weights and such so thats a perfect place for them. Its a win-win for all types of lifters.
  • corgarian
    corgarian Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I use PF because for $20 a month I can bring my best friend to work out with me for free. Their weights are a little limited which sucks, but again only $20.

When you sign up for a gym you sign a contract, that mean you have to abide by their rules. So if you are breaking dress code or grunting like an animal while there they have the right to ask you to leave. It's that simple. If you dont like it, dont sign the contract and work out somewhere else.
  • Dube11
    Dube11 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Everything is too purple there.
  • LassoOfTruth
    LassoOfTruth Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    People are always going to say there gym is better do this or do that, Personally I go to PF and i'm fine with it they do have a lack of weights for lifting but once im ready for that stage in my journey ill see what exercise are compatible with what they have. I like it i see people work out there in the same outfit as previous gyms i went to and i still haven't seen this lunk alarm go off yet

I've been working out there since last October. I've yet to hear the lunk alarm go off either.
  • _Resolve_
    _Resolve_ Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    I lost 100 lbs at my local planet fitness, I did eventually grow out of it and needed to join a club with more options. As other posters have pointed out they typically don't allow dropping weights, squats or dead lifts. One the other hand membership is only $10.00 a month.. so who cares what they allow and don't allow, if its close by and you only need it as a place to do some cardio or light free weights during a lunch break it is ideal.

I'd still be a member if they had real trainers to work with, a squat rack and classes like cxworx, rpm and a pool.. but they don't
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Options
    I use PF because for $20 a month I can bring my best friend to work out with me for free. Their weights are a little limited which sucks, but again only $20.

When you sign up for a gym you sign a contract, that mean you have to abide by their rules. So if you are breaking dress code or grunting like an animal while there they have the right to ask you to leave. It's that simple. If you dont like it, dont sign the contract and work out somewhere else.
    What's wrong with grunting like an animal? Ohai, you're an animal.

*shrug* I'm entitled to my opinion that the contract's stipulation is stupid. If I wanted to be quiet, I'd go to church. (Uh, no, Peg!)
  • thelms77
    thelms77 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    When i first started working out, I went to PF. It was only $10 and open 24 hours. I went early in the morning and worked out to my heart's content. It was close to the house which was also a plus. They had a lot of free weights as well as machines. When I moved a little further, I joined a more expensive gym paying $85 a month. While that gym had classes, pools, and all the other stuff, I rarely used them because I still worked out in the early morning. I'm not a body builder or heavy lifter so I guess it wasn't an issue for me. Now i go to the Y which is a little more expensive than PF but cheaper than that other gym. Downside is it's not open 24 hours! Got to take the good with the bad wherever you go.:smile:
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Because people like to think they're better and they need something to complain about. If PF fits your goals, go for it. The price is certainly reasonable and obviously plenty of people are happy enough going there, since the franchise seems to be doing well and has shown strong growth the past few years. If you need equipment they don't have at PF, find a different gym, but it never ceases to amaze me how much people like to complain about what they didn't spend their money on.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Options
    Because people like to think they're better and they need something to complain about. If PF fits your goals, go for it. The price is certainly reasonable and obviously plenty of people are happy enough going there, since the franchise seems to be doing well and has shown strong growth the past few years. If you need equipment they don't have at PF, find a different gym, but it never ceases to amaze me how much people like to complain about what they didn't spend their money on.
    So, even when solicited, we're not allowed to share our rationales for not choosing to spend our money at PF and instead spending it on other facilities?

166.gif
  • Jlmervin03
    Jlmervin03 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I went for a year and it was ok. I had to find a babysitter every time I went. I like the YMCA because they have a childcare and they offer fitness classes.
  • LassoOfTruth
    Options
    Um, I just got a message.... and I hope I didn't mislead, but that is NOT me in the picture. It's just a meme I found........ I am partial to animal prints. :laugh:
  • LassoOfTruth
    Options
    Everything is too purple there.

Invalid_16a835_2703824.jpg