Why does Planet Fitness get a bad rap?

Options

Replies

• SoLongAndThanksForAllTheFish
    Options
    They don't have a "bad rap". They marketed and engineered controversy so people would talk about it, and keep earning the reputation by judging in a "judgement free zone". Otherwise they'd just be a cheap, ill-equipped gym with ugly purple walls and bad food, nobody's going to talk about that. They are still a great alternative to no gym.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    But, I do have to say that some of those lunks were pretty hot.

And they're funny too. I work with a few of them and (for the most part) they're very funny in real life at work when they're not actually lunking.

Poor lunks. People always pickin' on 'em. I love 'em even if they don't want to have sex with me.

Most of them are great about spotting you if you ask too.
  • jwooley13
    jwooley13 Posts: 243
    Options
    Planet Fitness is a simple example of "you get what you pay for"
  • AlliSteff
    AlliSteff Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

Or the people who would otherwise go to the YMCA but PF's price is lower.
    [/quote]

My Y is actually awesome- way better and cheaper than the NYSC down the block.

And this man lovingly kicks my booty every week

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/07/nyregion/relentless-an-exercise-class-built-on-relentlessness.html
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options
    Pizza and other yummy foods aren't really bad, if PF just decided to teach people how calories in vs calories out works, they'd get less flamed for it I'm sure..
  • SoLongAndThanksForAllTheFish
    Options
    Pizza and other yummy foods aren't really bad, if PF just decided to teach people how calories in vs calories out works, they'd get less flamed for it I'm sure..

Oh yes they do have bad food. And Dominos is like greasy cardboard. Go have a real pizza like Round Table instead if you are going to make space in your caloric intake for it. ;)

I don't really care though, people can do what they want. My reasons for not liking Planet Fitness are no dead lifting, no squats, and no big guys "lunks" and I have a pre-paid membership, so no cost savings. Usually big guys and bodybuilders spot very competently, and are much better attitude wise than guys who can lift some and want to act tough but aren't massively strong lifters, so they tend to give attitude to those they think they are close in strength to. These are MAJOR downsides of "no lunks". Then, there is the attention factor. Currently I have a similar situation as PF, with very few "lunks" (bodybuilder types) in my gym due to being in a "high tech" area. I hadn't realized how many eyes were on me that I subconsciously noticed until this bodybuilder guy happened to come in at the same time, so all eyes were on him instead. Felt great. Plus such a good inspiration to see him doing sets of 365lb bench x6-8 without a spotter, I love having "lunks" in the gym.
  • kaaaaylee
    kaaaaylee Posts: 398
    Options
    They get a bad rap for providing fatty foods and candy and being rather "judgemental" themselves.

However, anyone who's motivated can go there and get a solid workout. I stopped going personally when I moved and the PF nearest me had no free weights in terms of bars and benches.
  • Kita328
    Kita328 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I only pay $19 a month for a gym with free weights. I went to a Planet Fitness to walk around and give it a chance but when the people tried to explain to me that a smith machine and free weights are the same I left.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

YEAH RIIIGGGGGHHHHHHHHHT!
    NO FREAKING WAY... I wonder how many people buy into that crap
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    Squats and deadlifts are the quickest most efficient way to get in shape. Why would any gym ban them????
    Think you just answered your own question. That is in direct opposition to their business model. The quicker you hit the "purple ceiling", the quicker you go spend your moola somewhere else. They have a vested interest in keeping their members from getting in shape quickly and keeping them insecure.
  • the_dude00
    the_dude00 Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    Squats and deadlifts are the quickest most efficient way to get in shape. Why would any gym ban them????
    Think you just answered your own question. That is in direct opposition to their business model. The quicker you hit the "purple ceiling", the quicker you go spend your moola somewhere else. They have a vested interest in keeping their members from getting in shape quickly and keeping them insecure.

People who don't go to the gym often don't wear out equipment or take up space very often in the gym.

More memberships can be sold.
  • TheStephil
    TheStephil Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    They preach judgment free but they seem judge a lot of people so that is where most the controversy comes from

QTF
    Don't advertise that its a judgement free zone yet judge people that don't into their target client zone.

The thing that I hate about them is that it seems to me that they target the people that they know won't stick around. They target the New Years Resolutioners and people that won't stick with it and therefore make money without having to maintain the equipment as much if those people stuck with it. I had a friend that worked at my local PF and she told me that "fit people" cost the gym more money because they put more wear on the equipment.
  • TheStephil
    TheStephil Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    I pay $10 for my local Fitness 19 and they have free weight, squat rack and no judgement against fit people or "unfit" people. I wish my gym would have more than one squat rack but I'll settle for now.
  • mereditheve
    mereditheve Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Catering to people who aren't that interested in fitness while condemning people who are and saying fit people "intimidate" others just seems like a bizarre business model to me.

Personally, I find working out with people who lift more than me or who are in better shape that me to be motivating.
  • JengaJess
    JengaJess Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I just came home from PF about an hour ago.
    I did squats and dead lifts.
    I make less than $1,000 a month. I pay $10 a month for PF. I literally can't afford to pay anymore than that. Works for me.

I get a little tired of reading these forums about PF because they make it seem like 100% of the people who go there are not committed to becoming healthy. There are a lot of incredibly fit people at my PF, and I consider myself to be extremely serious about fitness. I'm just also living pay check to pay check right now. When I was at Gold's or NYSC, I saw the same amount of people who were doing jack **** as I do at PF.
    I think the real problem with Planet Fitness is their judgey "judgement free" zone. I have never experienced it at either of the two locations I've been to. There are quite a few "lunks" at my PF, which I appreciate because they were super helpful when I started lifting. If you're going to criticize PF, do it. Their marketing campaign is a mess. I'm not denying that. Some locations are way too judgmental for being a judgement free zone and their commercials can be offensive... but don't criticize the people who work out there. That's not fair.
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,716 Member
    Options
    I don't think I see people criticizing those who choose to work out there.

But it IS apparent PLANET FITNESS is looking to bank on those who aren't as invested in their personal fitness.
  • nkeklund
    nkeklund Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I left PF because I wanted to go to a place with a pool and basketball court. The problem? This place I changed to has less quality exercise equipment. I'm not talking weights, I'm talking machines. I may re-join PF in the near future again as it has better and more equipment and later hours. The place I switched to the bb court is always full. I am leaving the place.

PF problems are that they have a pizza day during the month. It's nice to reward members, but pizza is not healthy for you. My only other issue was all this talk about free exercise drinks. These are just gatorade mostly. Not a real nutrional shake like I had at a former gym they they mixed up with chocolate and vanilla, and peanut butter.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    pizza is not healthy for you.
    Well, sure, if you keep eating that arsenic and anchovy pizza you insist on eating. :huh:
    I make less than $1,000 a month. I pay $10 a month for PF. I literally can't afford to pay anymore than that. Works for me.
    I am honestly glad that your PF affords you this opportunity. I wish they would do it for everyone similarly situated, but alas, the majority of them appear not to have the equipment and/or artificially limit the ways in which members use the equipment. I'm really glad you have a way to get it done! :happy:
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

I get a little tired of reading these forums about PF because they make it seem like 100% of the people who go there are not committed to becoming healthy. There are a lot of incredibly fit people at my PF, and I consider myself to be extremely serious about fitness. I'm just also living pay check to pay check right now. When I was at Gold's or NYSC, I saw the same amount of people who were doing jack **** as I do at PF.
    I think the real problem with Planet Fitness is their judgey "judgement free" zone. I have never experienced it at either of the two locations I've been to. There are quite a few "lunks" at my PF, which I appreciate because they were super helpful when I started lifting. If you're going to criticize PF, do it. Their marketing campaign is a mess. I'm not denying that. Some locations are way too judgmental for being a judgement free zone and their commercials can be offensive... but don't criticize the people who work out there. That's not fair.

We're saying it's a crap gym with crap policies and crap marketing. We're not saying you're a bad person for going there. Get your workout on. I'm glad it works for you. I'm positive that it's the best choice for many people.

PF can still KMA tho because they're marketing is centered around making people feel weak, insecure, and helpless. That's the polar opposite of how a gym should make people feel.
  • lookin4gains
    lookin4gains Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    I tried that gym for a while in Alaska and in Texas. With my own personal experience I didn't like it there. It took months to fix faulty equipment. Very little weight lifting equipment with an excess of cardio equipment. Waiting for equipment turned an hour workout into almost a two hour workout. Also, got sick of being called a Lunker and hearing that stupid alarm everytime I set the weights down too hard. There is a difference between reaching muscle failure and setting them down a little harder than usual, and forcefully dropping the weights. A judgement free zone, yet when you do that they sound a huge alarm and bring everyone's attention to you. A little bit hypocritical don't you think? Also, the management was horrible in both facilities. I am in the Army and I am supposed to be able to end a contract with orders to another assignment. Both facilities took months to end my contract and I am still waiting for reimbursement. I will never get another membership with this company.