Why does Planet Fitness get a bad rap?

Options

Replies

• thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    My friend goes there and yesterday she sent me a picture of a very overweight girl on one of the machines, sitting on her phone, doing nothing while my friend waited to use it. Planet Fitness is not somewhere you go if you are serious about fitness IMO. I mean a lunk alarm? Give me a break. I agree that people should try to not make grunts and slam weights or whatever, but sometimes it just happens. And feeding people bagels and pizza is just a brilliant marketing scheme to keep people coming back. Those are two of the foods you should avoid if you are trying really hard to lose weight. How genius of them to feed them to the overweight people that go there, which sabotages them and keeps them coming back as they struggle to lose weight.

So, THAT's what I've been doing wrong all this time! I should have been avoiding pizza and bagels, because they're "sabotage." Got it.
  • LassoOfTruth
    LassoOfTruth Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    So, even when solicited, we're not allowed to share our rationales for not choosing to spend our money at PF and instead spending it on other facilities?

I was referring more to the general backlash against PF on forums like this one from people who don't go to PF (and never have), but they damn sure love to talk about it and create snarky gifs mocking the people that do go to PF (like the one shown in the OP). There's typically a PF thread every week where people love to chime in about "but you can't deadlift there!" and on and on, when the reality is most people that workout don't want to deadlift and no one's forcing you to pay the $10 to join PF. With most of these threads it goes well beyond sharing a reasoned opinion when solicited and it's really more of a PF complainer bandwagon. Just my take on it though.
    It's because "lunks" aren't allowed. Guaranteed if I worked out there, you'd hear it because I'd hit some heavy deadlifts that would cause a grunt here and there.

Actually they'd get you before you even started, since I don't believe deadlifts are allowed there. :tongue:

FYI -- Just wanted to put this out there: I don't think people that go to PF are "less than" athletes than those that go to other gyms. I wasn't being snarky with the pic, it was just in fun! If we can't laugh at ourselves, we're just being idiots. PLUS, I go to PF, and I love it. For $20 I can go to my gym, bring a friend, go to my friend's PF, get a massage, tan (I don't tan--olive Italian skin)..... Where else can you do that for $20?
  • LassoOfTruth
    Options
    My friend goes there and yesterday she sent me a picture of a very overweight girl on one of the machines, sitting on her phone, doing nothing while my friend waited to use it. Planet Fitness is not somewhere you go if you are serious about fitness IMO. I mean a lunk alarm? Give me a break. I agree that people should try to not make grunts and slam weights or whatever, but sometimes it just happens. And feeding people bagels and pizza is just a brilliant marketing scheme to keep people coming back. Those are two of the foods you should avoid if you are trying really hard to lose weight. How genius of them to feed them to the overweight people that go there, which sabotages them and keeps them coming back as they struggle to lose weight.

Why is your friend taking pictures and sending pics of overweight people? That's just disrespectful. She could have just went over there and asked if she was done since she was on the phone?
  • LassoOfTruth
    Options

So, THAT's what I've been doing wrong all this time! I should have been avoiding pizza and bagels, because they're "sabotage." Got it.

Don't listen to them. Eat all the carbs. <3
  • rieann84
    rieann84 Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    To each their own I say.

I'm so happy with my gym membership. Close by, 2 squat racks, 2 smith machines and a power rack for $10/month. Never a wait for cardio equipment (I was a member at ballys that actually had a sign up list for the equipment and a 30 min max. .. people would fight all the time)

If my place had a pool, I would never leave.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    Mine's open 24 hours a day and it's $10 a month.

What's to complain about that?

Golly.

I'm a big fat broad and I've never seen so much as a nudge or an eyeroll like I've noticed at other gym memberships I've had that cost 5 times the amount and had no parking. And closed at 9 pm.

I've never heard so much as a mumble or a snicker when I'm working my fat butt on the treadmill. Like to the two guys that felt compelled to marvel loudly at my appearance at the yuppie gym I once belonged to as I minded my own business on the elliptical. And they were fit and trim married *kitten* in their 40s. I was in my 30s then. Try it now fellas. I'm in my 40s and I'll give you a run for your money. Figuratively speaking.

I love Planet Fitness.

I don't care what other people do around me, including lunking and dressing skimpily, as long as they don't bother me. I would never complain about that.

If it's true that Planet Fitness is for fat unfit people, then it's for me and I'm grateful for it :)

I agree, I suppose I am a "fat unfit person" and I am grateful for PF as well. I am nowhere near the "expert level" of other people... and grateful is the precise word. I wouldn't feel comfortable working out at another gym... not YET anyway. I think it's a great beginner gym for the fat *kitten* like me.
    See, and I think it sends the wrong message to say (and we do ourselves a disservice to allow ourselves to accept the message), "Hey, you fat broads need your own special place where you will be shielded from the achievements of others, because you're not good enough for a real gym and seeing people working hard will damage your fragile psyche." I got a big ol' one finger salute for them.
  • LassoOfTruth
    Options

Golly.

I'm a big fat broad and I've never seen so much as a nudge or an eyeroll like I've noticed at other gym memberships I've had that cost 5 times the amount and had no parking. And closed at 9 pm.

I've never heard so much as a mumble or a snicker when I'm working my fat butt on the treadmill. Like to the two guys that felt compelled to marvel loudly at my appearance at the yuppie gym I once belonged to as I minded my own business on the elliptical. And they were fit and trim married *kitten* in their 40s. I was in my 30s then. Try it now fellas. I'm in my 40s and I'll give you a run for your money. Figuratively speaking.

I love Planet Fitness.

I don't care what other people do around me, including lunking and dressing skimpily, as long as they don't bother me. I would never complain about that.

If it's true that Planet Fitness is for fat unfit people, then it's for me and I'm grateful for it :)

I agree, I suppose I am a "fat unfit person" and I am grateful for PF as well. I am nowhere near the "expert level" of other people... and grateful is the precise word. I wouldn't feel comfortable working out at another gym... not YET anyway. I think it's a great beginner gym for the fat *kitten* like me.
    See, and I think it sends the wrong message to say (and we do ourselves a disservice to allow ourselves to accept the message), "Hey, you fat broads need your own special place, because you're not good enough for a real gym." I got a big ol' one finger salute for them.

As much as I agree with you, I still have reservations about going to another gym. Some of us aren't as kick *kitten* as you are dear. Personally, its taken me YEARS to get to the level of self esteem I'm at now. Once my skin is thicker, I might look into another gym altogether... but, for now, women like me need PF in their lives.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
  • likitisplit
    Options

Golly.

I love Planet Fitness.

See, and I think it sends the wrong message to say (and we do ourselves a disservice to allow ourselves to accept the message), "Hey, you fat broads need your own special place, because you're not good enough for a real gym." I got a big ol' one finger salute for them.

As much as I agree with you, I still have reservations about going to another gym. Some of us aren't as kick *kitten* as you are dear. Personally, its taken me YEARS to get to the level of self esteem I'm at now. Once my skin is thicker, I might look into another gym altogether... but, for now, women like me need PF in their lives.

Maybe if you went to a different gym, you'd realize that you are no different than anybody else who's just starting.
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,716 Member
    Options
    It is possible to lift heavy there.

Do you deadlift and squat there?
  • likitisplit
    Options
    They didn't "get" a bad rep. They earned one

They purchased and promoted it.
  • DavePFJ
    DavePFJ Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Planet Fitness is my local box where we hold elite fitness competitions.
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,716 Member
    Options

LOL! Can you even imagine the backlash if a new business advertised "No fatties allowed! Fit people only! We aren't a fitness center…we are a gym!"

Ridiculous.

But man, what a brilliant marketing campaign and business strategy. I really hate that I didn't think of it, honestly. t would love to know the stats of how often (per month and over the course of the year) members work out.
  • Archon2
    Archon2 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    They seem to cater to people that are self conscious about starting a work out regimen. I think the idea is great -- more power to them. Good business model. And affordable too. I don't belong to a gym, but I would pick them first, just for the price.

The lunk alarm thing is off-putting though; but it fits into their philosophy in a smarmy way. A not-so-nice way to turn the tables.

Plus, this commercial I found hilarious https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQfmpXsLV_4
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I see your point, and I regularly participate in those threads. Because I think it's reasonable to call them on their "no judgement" hypocrisy. You're allowed to be bothered by that, but that feeling is yours to deal with, not mine. drinker (I'm affirming that to myself, not being testy)

I wouldn't say I'm bothered by it - you're the one sarcastically responding to my comments. I just said people like to complain about PF probably a bit more than they should and many seem to feel like they're better than other people simply because they workout somewhere other than PF. You can even see some posts along those lines in this very thread. I also seem to recall a bunch of people that don't go to PF (and never have) were in an uproar when PF removed their squat racks. I guess it's just me, but when a business I have no affiliation with does something that doesn't affect me, I suppose I just don't care all that much. Threads have even popped up where people try to spin a simple dress code violation as "PF is fit shaming!" and other nonsense.

At the end of the day, it's a health club that's dirt cheap, open 24/7 and obviously works for a lot (but not all) people. Beyond that, I don't see much to discuss, and certainly not enough to justify all the threads that pop-up weekly on fitness forums. My personal opinion is they have way too many rules and restrictions, and so I'm happy to pay more for gyms that better fit my preferences.
  • LassoOfTruth
    Options

Well, that was super judgmental on PF's part. Damn.
    But, I do have to say that some of those lunks were pretty hot. Lolz.
    Is that the eye candy I'm missing by going to PF??? :love:
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options

Great propaganda and marketing. Tapping straight into insecurities.
  • HannahJDiaz25
    HannahJDiaz25 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Because of how they market themselves. They call people who lift heavy and people who are fit "lunks" and have a "lunk alarm" to shame people for doing things that fit people and those who like to lift heavy weights do, like grunting or dropping weights on the floor (which usually happens by accident).

Based purely on their marketing, I don't want to go there because I don't want to be the one who sets off the "lunk alarm". I don't like being the centre of attention, especially if I'm new to a place. Also it's very hypocritical to call yourself a "judgement free zone" yet have a "lunk alarm" to shame people that you judge to be "lunks". I'm pretty much what they'd consider to be a "lunk" because I'm naturally strong and like to lift heavy. I do sometimes drop weights, because that's the only safe way to get out of trouble if you get stuck at the bottom of a squat (I have rubber plates that can take being dropped and work out at home)

Also, they don't have squat racks (or at least most of their branches don't) - without a squat rack there's not much point me being in a gym, seeing as squats are a major part of my routine. And they banned deadlifting, which is also an important part of my routine.

So all in all, I can't see a reason to ever go to planet fitness.
    This sums it up very nicely. I lived in Fairbanks and I had three choices for a gym. One was nice but cost over 100 a month, the other two were Planet Fitness and a 24 hour tiny place that was mostly treadmills and a few machines. SO I went with PF. It was clean well kept. It had a TON of cardio machines and the usual circuits of lifting machines. I stayed in ok shape but now that I have joined a gym with free weights and barbells and such I would never- ever go back. Squats and deadlifts are the quickest most efficient way to get in shape. Why would any gym ban them????
  • likitisplit
    Options

Well, that was super judgmental on PF's part. Damn.
    But, I do have to say that some of those lunks were pretty hot. Lolz.
    Is that the eye candy I'm missing by going to PF??? :love:

Not necessarily. Most of the people who go to gyms are like you and I.

Most of the people who join gyms never go. That's the business model of all the gyms and why it sucks to go during the first of the year.