I'm running a marathon...

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    thats okay, I'm used to life teaching me I am not good enough.

Not able to run a marathon

Not able to support my family

Not able to keep a baby alive.

Just another thing to add to the list.

I am being serious here, not insulting but genuinely concerned - have you thought about talking to someone? Your reaction to this thread is very concerning. You've had a lot of stressful events in your life, perhaps it might help with coping to find someone you can talk to.
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member

I honestly think you should speak with a mental health professional.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    I actually posted it for advice on how to ACHIEVE what I needed to, not how not to.

Information about training schedules, shoes, etc etc is great

saying 'oh don't bother you're not good enough' which is the general theme is just awful.

This is for a mans wheelchair for goodness sake!

Why is he not getting a wheelchair on the NHS? :huh:

Ah, I see that he is.

Well it's a good thing since you couldn't even keep up training through this thread - full of excellent advice.
  • laurenawolf
    laurenawolf Posts: 262 Member

Wow. Just wow.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    I actually posted it for advice on how to ACHIEVE what I needed to, not how not to.

Information about training schedules, shoes, etc etc is great

saying 'oh don't bother you're not good enough' which is the general theme is just awful.

This is for a mans wheelchair for goodness sake!

Now you are twisting the words of all those people you wanted to give advise. They are giving you hard sound advise, but because it isn't "Oh you will do great," but instead "You might want to reconsider your distance or time frame," you are mad?

You yourself said you wanted advise...and you got it. You had numerous experienced runners...runners who have done their first, second and third marathons, runners who are now ULTRA RUNNERS and completing 50/100/150K races....telling you that your goal might be a bit unrealistic and to just make sure you have a sound program in place if you do decide to go through with it. Not once did I see anyone tell you "You're not good enough." If you are not wanting pure honest advise then don't ask for it!

And while your fundraising is great and for a beautiful cause, the distance you originally decided to do (the full...I know you decided to do the HM instead which I think is a much more realistic goal for one year's time) will cause an immediate red flag to raise with seasoned and experienced runners.

It takes a while to learn how your body reacts to running. Some people's bodies are able to recover fast enough over a year's time that they can head into a full marathon. But for most people, they need the at least year for their bodily systems to fully and completely adjust to running so that when they head into training for a full marathon their bodies have adapted enough to some what endure what is going to happen.

I myself will be completing a full marathon for the first time this December. I will be running for the St. Jude Children's Research Hospital as a Hero and hope to raise about $2500 in support of their cause. My reason is for an equally just cause. But...I did not make this decision lightly; 6 months ago I was only looking at doing the half marathon. It was seasoned runners in my running group and running community here that told me that I was ready for the jump up. I have been running for 18 months and have 2 half marathons under my belt, and I still wasn't going to make that decision lightly, they had to tell me that I was ready.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member

meh. que sera sera, amirite? this seems to be where you wanted to end up all along so i'm certainly not going to stop you.

buuuuut, if you give me your paypal, i WILL send you $5 for the wheelchair fund. i'm happy to donate it just for having had the pleasure of reading this entire thread. not even kidding. this thread just out-MFP'd MFP. It should be a sticky placed at the top for both Fitness and Exercise and Motivation and Support. bravo, MFP, bravo.

PM me with your paypal address and I will send the $5 RIGHT NOW.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    I'm curious, OP. Why did you choose the Marathon distance (26.2 miles/ 42KM) as the distance for your fundraising goal?

London was last weekend, and there has been some profile of Boston over the course of the week since. I've seen several pledges from non-runners to complete marathons over the last two or three weeks.
  • DYELB
    DYELB Posts: 7,407 Member
    Wtf does losing a baby have to do with training for a marathon? How is that at all relevant?

If you want people to feel sorry for you, keep doing what you're doing (nothing).

If you want to actually make an attempt, then do something about it. Just run, it doesn't matter. Put in some initial effort to show that you're actually serious about completing this. Right now you've given absolutely nothing to indicate that you'll do anything but give up, why should someone bother to put together a program for you? There are a million different ways to go from overweight and sedentary to marathoner. whining doesn't help with any of them.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    this thread just out-MFP'd MFP

It certainly did!
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Threads like this make me sad that I have a job and can't devote more time to the forums . . .
  • FeebRyan
    FeebRyan Posts: 738 Member
    I don't require anybodies pity and the NHS don't give you therapists unless you are going to kill yourself (trust me I've asked)

Just like they give you sub-standard rubbish wheelchairs that don't work on old cobbled streets and expect you to deal with it.

Nope it was a crap idea, I know that now, I will just have to tell him I can no longer run in any way and therefore can't fundraise for him. He hasn't lost anything I suppose, its just a shame for all of us. I would have crawled round that course if need be but you are all right, when it comes to 'going the distance' I am just a bit crap.

So I quit right now.

Was a stupid idea.
  • TheBrolympus
    TheBrolympus Posts: 586 Member
    I don't require anybodies pity and the NHS don't give you therapists unless you are going to kill yourself (trust me I've asked)

Just like they give you sub-standard rubbish wheelchairs that don't work on old cobbled streets and expect you to deal with it.

Nope it was a crap idea, I know that now, I will just have to tell him I can no longer run in any way and therefore can't fundraise for him. He hasn't lost anything I suppose, its just a shame for all of us. I would have crawled round that course if need be but you are all right, when it comes to 'going the distance' I am just a bit crap.

So I quit right now.

Was a stupid idea.

So was the purpose of this post just to stir the pot. If so, well done!
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Right guys, it's ALL OUR FAULT. That nice man will never have a decent wheelchair and its because OF US!!!

Holy jeebus.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    I've cancelled the JustGiving page. I won't be running at all.

Thanks for all your 'help' in coming to that decision. I guess he will just have to suffer with the NHS issue wheelchair he has been allocated.

When the going gets tough . . . Scratch that, e'hm "mildly realistic" the delusional just quit.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Wtf does losing a baby have to do with training for a marathon? How is that at all relevant?

I can answer that... OP said she had gone through labour 3 times so had the mental toughness to do a marathon.... Another poster (who tried to be really helpful and give loads of good advice) said it wasn't the same thing... OP said how dare anyone say that giving birth to a still born baby wasn't an awful experience....
  • SHHitsKaty
    SHHitsKaty Posts: 301
    Yikes! If that is the mental stability you are working with, perhaps running a marathon isn't a great idea because it's going to take a lot more than getting upset because some people say you can't do it and you quitting.

I fundraise for a lot of my races, currently am now for one of the half marathons I am running but I don't post it here expecting a bunch of strangers to donate money towards me, my goal or my charity.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member

So I quit right now.

Was a stupid idea.

yes, go tell him that the people on the internet made you quit.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member

So I quit right now.

Was a stupid idea.

Better than you quitting 6 months down the line when he already has his hopes up.

Oh and several people I know deal quite well with their supplied by the NHS wheelchairs. :noway:

Edit: and there are plenty of places to get free counselling if you need it
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member

So I quit right now.

Was a stupid idea.

How about not crawling the course? How about enjoying the course and feeling powerful in your body?

That's what running's done for me. That's what everybody wants for you. They want you to be amazed at what you CAN do and do WELL.
  • FeebRyan
    FeebRyan Posts: 738 Member

So I quit right now.

Was a stupid idea.

How about not crawling the course? How about enjoying the course and feeling powerful in your body?

That's what running's done for me. That's what everybody wants for you. They want you to be amazed at what you CAN do and do WELL.

That isn't what it is about right now, its just about any way I can help him get a wheelchair. Am applying to charities that can help, looking for any way to fundraise, this is just something I thought I could do. Obviously not. Lesson learnt.

Life carries on I suppose.
This discussion has been closed.