People who back into parking spaces

Options

Replies

• larrodarro
    larrodarro Posts: 2,512 Member
    Options
    When my wife was in her old office, she would get to work early and back in before the parking lot got crowded. Now that her office was moved, she can drive in from the back side. But she will always get a space she can pull out of. And she drives a Prius.
  • BigMech
    BigMech Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Because my car looks better backed into the space, and I can look at it as I walk away :)

Plus, I have a backup camera, so backing into the space is easy!

20130425_075632.jpg
  • Sobus76
    Sobus76 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    For me if i can back in i will because i am pretty good at it and it seems to me that its easier to pull out of a spot rather then backout, because i can look for people/cars easier then if i have to have my head turned around.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Just leave this on their windshield:

bf5a0838413852a97b2918784ad40c20-bad-parking-postcard.jpg
  • Blacklance36
    Blacklance36 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    to piss you off...

This is my current understanding.

I used to drive a 1/2 ton truck for a living. They taught us to do this as a safety measure. As you drive by you get a good look at the space you want to park in. When you leave your line of sight is perfect.

Just be sure to park between the lines...LOL, some people just cant seem to do this whether they pull in or back in.
    If you cant park it you shouldn't be driving it.
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    Thumbsup-alec.gif
  • gracielynn1011
    gracielynn1011 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I only back into spots at my kids school, because they have a horrible parking lot, and without backing in it is hard to get someone to allow you to back out. So if you back in, then you can just pull out quick in a break in traffic.

But in shopping centers or whatever, I pull through whenever I can. But I also don't mind just straight parking. I usually also park at the end of the row, because I think its a waste of time to cirble around 15 different times to get a front row spot. The only time I've done that was when I was pregnant and 2 weeks overdue. I could barely waddle straight, so I guess it was okay.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Because my car looks better backed into the space, and I can look at it as I walk away :)

Plus, I have a backup camera, so backing into the space is easy!

20130425_075632.jpg

I'm liking that blue! And agreed, it's really pretty simple with backup camera(s) and sensors that tell you when you're close to the garage wall.
  • jo_madre
    jo_madre Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    I'm amazing at it. Or I pull through. I can get out easier and have a better line of sight. I see plenty of people who can't seem to pull into spots, either.

I can understand pulling through, but actually backing in doesn't seem to have any time benefit at all.

Oh it does. The increased view of the world you are about to pull out into when you're leaving your stall that you took the extra time to back into will aid you in not mowing down any people too short for your pulling-in-head-first-so-you-must-back-out-when-you-leave perspective. If you run someone down, barring a hit and run situation, you're gonna be there forever.
  • Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    The jack *kitten* with a parking spot next to mine at work backs into his parking spot and he drives a gigantic truck. He also completely sucks *kitten* at parking his gigantic truck and leaves me absolutely no room between his car and the pole next to my parking spot.
  • RockWarrior84
    RockWarrior84 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    did this today....and took 2 parking spots

BECAUSE I CAN!!!!
  • NewCaddy
    NewCaddy Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    Because I am good at it...can back my big old van into a spot better than some of those big rigs can go in forward.
  • TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    Options
    this is the only way i'm going to park now
  • gangsterfurious
    Options
    People do terrible parking jobs when they go in nose-first, what's the difference? A crappy driver is a crappy driver.
  • gangsterfurious
    Options
    Me too. Starting today.
  • skeo
    skeo Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I'm amazing at it. Or I pull through. I can get out easier and have a better line of sight. I see plenty of people who can't seem to pull into spots, either.

Yup.
  • molonlabe762
    molonlabe762 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Cops do it all the time. Even in their personal vehicles. It makes for a quick exit when needed - or so they say............

This
  • navygrrl
    navygrrl Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    My husband has this same pet peeve. I don't care as long as the person parked between the lines. What I hate is when I deliberately park far away and am surrounded by nothing but empty spaces, but when I come out of the store, it's like a car village popped up around me.
  • Tiff050709
    Tiff050709 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    hahaha
    It's one thing if your car is cool (mine isn't)... but minivan and Camry driver need to refrain. Please!
  • hananah89
    hananah89 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    I only back into spots at my kids school, because they have a horrible parking lot, and without backing in it is hard to get someone to allow you to back out. So if you back in, then you can just pull out quick in a break in traffic.

But in shopping centers or whatever, I pull through whenever I can. But I also don't mind just straight parking. I usually also park at the end of the row, because I think its a waste of time to cirble around 15 different times to get a front row spot. The only time I've done that was when I was pregnant and 2 weeks overdue. I could barely waddle straight, so I guess it was okay.

Same! I don't get driving around in circles just to get the closest spot ever. I also think other people won't respect my car and would prefer parking away from people and park on the end of the row.

I back into a spot at my apt complex. I take the bus to/from work most days so my car sits there. I use a sunshade on the dash and its not so effective unless the car faces the sun!