People who back into parking spaces

Options

Replies

• NH_Norma
    NH_Norma Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I'm amazing at it. Or I pull through. I can get out easier and have a better line of sight. I see plenty of people who can't seem to pull into spots, either.

THIS!
  • NH_Norma
    NH_Norma Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    When I was a Girl Scout Leader, it is GS policy that everyone back in park at any GS events. This ensures a safer and organized exit if there is an emergency. Everyone takes turns pulling out behind one another. If some are pulled in, some are backed in, it is a recipe for fender benders if everyone tries to leave at once. I've been a back in parker ever since.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Even though this is a stupid thread some places require you to back in

Of all the threads in Chit Chat, THIS one strikes you as stupid? You must be a very special person. Also, many places in the US actually prohibit backing in.
  • EllenKay63
    EllenKay63 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I'm not good at backing up into the parking space so I don't. I hate when other people do it because...they pass up the spot and start to back up and I am on their tail (and thinking I got a spot). Then if they won't move, If I am in a hurry, then I have to back up so they can have the parking spot I could have had. And they are sooo damn slow and they have to adjust. Just get the heck out of my way if you want to do it.
  • Laura732
    Laura732 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I only back into a space when I have to choose between parking in the boondocks or parking between two gargantuan pickup trucks or SUVs. Its easier to see what's coming at ya when you go out nose first.
  • live68
    live68 Posts: 9
    Options
    I'm not the best at backing in so I only do it if no one will be inconvenienced. I like the challenge.
    I was behind the old man with the big-assed truck who decided to back in this afternoon. He had to make FIVE maneuvers before I could get by him! I think that's inconsiderate?
  • bryttanid
    bryttanid Posts: 14
    Options
    I back into my parking spot....but only at my apartment. I'll take the corner spot and am pro at lining my passenger side up with the curb and it really helps prevent idiots from slamming their doors into my car. I've got all the room in the world to get out and get my groceries, etc. out of my trunk since I'm backed up to the sidewalk and can just walk straight to my door. I agree, not everyone should be backing into their spots, the guy above me is a good example and his big truck takes up two spots. But since I am against a curb it is easier to back in and just be able to pull out in the morning when I need to go. At stores, I will pull through, but I am always at the back of the lot as far from other people as possible.
  • Ke11er
    Ke11er Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Many people park facing out of stalls because the National Safety Council recommends it. 25% of accidents happen when drivers are reversing, and children are especially in harms way because the blind spot behind a vehicle is huge and they're small.
  • Goal179
    Goal179 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I don't have a back up camera and my SUV is a little difficult to see over the back. I have a two year old and so I have this fear of backing up and not being able to see a little one behind me. It is probably not very rationale but so many stories have come out lately in our area about little babies being backed over that I just have a fear and I like to clearly see what is going on.
  • Ke11er
    Ke11er Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Nope, not an irrational fear. You have good intuition.
  • NormInv
    NormInv Posts: 3,302 Member
    Options
    My husband has some theory that it's better for the vehicles to be pointed with the front down the hill that is our driveway, so I do it when I'm driving his truck, or if I have groceries to unload, or at work if I have my bike on the back of the vehicle.

But I suck at parking forward too.

You need a new husband
  • NormInv
    NormInv Posts: 3,302 Member
    Options
    Only thing worse is people taking selfies in their cars. Why dear lord why?
  • HerkMeOff
    HerkMeOff Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    mstk.gif
  • RomulanWarbird
    Options
    5257.jpg
  • wheird
    Options
    mstk.gif

:laugh:
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    Because I'm a boss like that. First world problems man, overcome.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I do it.

I'm good at it. I park better backwards than most others do forwards.

And it's so I can get away more quickly.
  • stephanniehall
    stephanniehall Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    do you even park bro?

haha, this.
  • wheird
    Options
    I do it.

I'm good at it. I park better backwards than most others do forwards.

And it's so I can get away more quickly.

Well of course, those women following you on your walks are pretty sketch.
  • CompressedCarbon
    CompressedCarbon Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I always back into parking places.

I do this for a lot of reasons but the main two are (1) it lessens the chances of me running into little old ladies when I back out of the space as I'm leaving. When I back in to a space, I can see more as I'm leaving that spot; (2) I've always driven crappy cars that break down a lot and backing in insures that when the beast breaks down, and it will that I have access to the engine for a jump or any other engine beating activity that needs to happen. I once got to change a battery on Christmas Eve when it was about 3 degrees outside and having backed it gave me more room to move around when I was working on it.