People who back into parking spaces

Options

Replies

• gaylelynnbell
    gaylelynnbell Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I usually park far away where I can pull through. I drive an SUV with a blind spot when I back up. Better safe than sorry. For this same reason, I never back into parking spots. No backup camera.
  • bloominheck
    bloominheck Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    I do all the time. Yet, I am very good at it.:smokin:
  • trojan_bb
    trojan_bb Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I do this.

My parking garage is impossible to park into directly without lots of maneuvering. Going in backwards lets me do it with one turn.
  • EllaBelleAces
    Options
    Because I like to, because I can, and because I find it convenient. Why does no one signal? Or actually stop at stop signs? Or yield for pedestrians. Etc etc etc
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    this is the only way i'm going to park now

I am sure he likes when you back up in his parking space... :laugh: :smokin:
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Y u do this?!

Especially when most of you are bad at it!!!

I'll do this when I'm in my pickup because it's safer to back in due to visibility issues. When it's time to leave, I can't see oncoming traffic for a long time due to the truck bed and have no desire to be rear ended by someone not paying attention or going too fast. If I can see cars coming, as I can when I've backed in, then I can wait until they pass before pulling out.

I don't back up when I'm in a car even though you could argue the same logic since the front end of most cars is much shorter than the car behind the front seats.

Usually, I just park far enough back in the lot that I just pull through, getting the same safety effect without the hassle of any backing up.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    Easier to park my truck that way. I always park way out anyways.

Why should it matter?
  • SoLongAndThanksForAllTheFish
    Options
    Because I like to, because I can, and because I find it convenient. Why does no one signal? Or actually stop at stop signs? Or yield for pedestrians. Etc etc etc

^ yeah, more serious issues above. Backing up is only annoying when they make you wait to do it, or they disrupt an already tight spacing causing one side to not have room to open the door and get out of the car.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    Just leave this on their windshield:

bf5a0838413852a97b2918784ad40c20-bad-parking-postcard.jpg

I'm making some of these cards up. That's awesome!

When I was first learning to drive, my dad told me not to back in because if someone hits you from the front it's more expensive to repair, so I almost never do it. I love the people who pull through without giving a thought as to whether someone else is also pulling in. LOVE them. :angry:
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    depending on the parking space it's actually easier to back into the space than go in forwards, because wing mirrors. And because I'm too short to see the bonnet (hood) of the car while driving.
  • zacksnana
    zacksnana Posts: 3,230 Member
    Options
    Because my secret identity is Batman. ????
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    Down here most people back into spaces. I will depending on the parking lot, some are just way too tight for me to pull it off easily.
  • Monkey_Business
    Monkey_Business Posts: 1,800 Member
    Options
    Most of the folks I know who do this, are military or prior military (myself included). We call it combat parking, cause when it is time to 'pop smoke' (leave). You had to be able to do it in a hurry.

I still do it today, its only been 21 years since I retired, so the habit not going to fade anytime soon. Besides I like to pee off the asshats.
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    I do what I want....
    118f1og.jpg
    tar87r.jpg
    2pry06f.jpg
    14lafr.jpg
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Less of an in issue in mercan-land I expect, but in the UK out parking spaces are pretty tight.

By nature backing in lets you get it in more accurately - there's a reason the smaller fork lifts tend to be rear wheel steering - so they can line up nicely.

You'll be expected to back it in to pass your test in the UK.

Generally people that go front-in around here are just rather unconfident with these, ah, 'basic' skills :).
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    I had no idea this was a pet peeve of people. Sigh. So much to remember.
  • redsnapper8
    redsnapper8 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Less of an in issue in mercan-land I expect, but in the UK out parking spaces are pretty tight.

By nature backing in lets you get it in more accurately - there's a reason the smaller fork lifts tend to be rear wheel steering - so they can line up nicely.

Generally people that go front-in around here are just rather unconfident with these, ah, 'basic' skills :).

Yup, it's about visability when leaving
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options

^^^^ all of this