Nervous for my first 10k in over a year

Options

Replies

• likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Trolling--I think she read that "I am running a marathon" thread from yesterday and got inspired :drinker:

She actually contributed to yesterday's "I am running a marathon" thread and can run a Boston qualifyng marathon, so I am guessing this is about racing strategy as opposed to a training issue. Or trolling. I don't know, I'm a little confused.

My guess? She's a little nervous running the 10k because of the reasons she listed and thought to post questions in the LDR group. Then she realized that it could be framed in a way that suggests the thread from yesterday.

Note the mile 20 sign in her profile picture.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    So we aren't exactly comparing apples to apples here since my first 10k in over a year will likely be somewhere in the 55-60 min range, but I'll offer my 2 cents. Take the pressure off. Don't worry about it. Just go out and run and see what time you get. You may surprise yourself. Or you'll know where you are at in relation to your goal. Find another 10k in 6 weeks and do some specific training for it, you know, only if you can spare 6 weeks in your schedule of running marathons and 100 milers. ;-) You are fast!

GREAT picture of Meb!
  • _Josee_
    _Josee_ Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    This is funny :)

It had the potential to be, but no it wasn't really funny. The idea was there but the delivery didn't really nail it.

If you know her, it is!
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options

It had the potential to be, but no it wasn't really funny. The idea was there but the delivery didn't really nail it.

If you know her, it is!

No. No it isn't.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Trolling--I think she read that "I am running a marathon" thread from yesterday and got inspired :drinker:

She actually contributed to yesterday's "I am running a marathon" thread and can run a Boston qualifyng marathon, so I am guessing this is about racing strategy as opposed to a training issue. Or trolling. I don't know, I'm a little confused.

My guess? She's a little nervous running the 10k because of the reasons she listed and thought to post questions in the LDR group. Then she realized that it could be framed in a way that suggests the thread from yesterday.

I don't know her and didn't look too closely at her profile picture. I did remember her from yesterday's post, I was aware she was a good runner. I only skimmed the thread and I realized after posting what was likely going on.

(I could be wrong again but I'm guessing your guess isn't really a guess)
  • likitisplit
    Options

I don't know her and didn't look too closely at her profile picture. I did remember her from yesterday's post, I was aware she was a good runner. I only skimmed the thread and I realized after posting what was likely going on.

(I could be wrong again but I'm guessing your guess isn't really a guess)

It's a guess. I don't know the whole psychology behind her motivation. For all I know, the Colorado thing could be right.

ETA - That's also how I've come up with my silly posts...that I put squarely into Fun & Games.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

Truth.

It would seem that OP's attempt at cleverness has shown a distinct lack thereof.

Well, at least she's fast?
  • DavPul
    Options

If you know her, it is!

Oh, then she should definitely use all of F&E for personal jokes that only her super secret cool kids clique will understand
  • fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    I thought it was funny. But I read through the "I am going to run a marathon in a year" thread from yesterday.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    You're 22... think of your ovaries!

Running isn't bad for ovaries. Where did you get this nonsense???

:huh:

It will, however, make her uterus fall out.

True story.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Slow down. Your pace is probably too fast. Shoot for a pace you can comfortably carry on a conversation with another person. Once you build up your stamina for that, speed will come.

I can barely speak after the first 2 miles of a 5k or 10k... Is that too fast?

Yes, it is. Think of your energy for a run like a gas tank. You can floor it and go 100 and burn through the gas super fast or you can go slower, say 60, and make it to your destination without hitchhiking. You can burn yourself out. A 10k is 6 miles, you need to plan accordingly. Most people plan for negative splits, meaning as they progress in the race, they start going faster for their mile times. It means conserving your energy in the beginning for a strong finish.

What if I get tired either way? :(

Well of course you'll be tired, you're running after all. But have you actually tried slowing down? Really?

And as for ending a 5k with a full blown asthma attack, 5ks are half the distance, you can push harder for a shorter amount of time and end on a really strong note. I sprint the ends of my races, no matter what, maybe with the exception of a marathon. But that doesn't mean I was sprinting the entire time.

Different distance races, different paces. Or just go all out and see what happens. It just depends on how and when you want to finish.

I ran slow at my first 10k in fear not not finishing. I could have ran much faster.

I can't find the balance

Appropriate race pace comes with practice. Lots and lots of practice...and even then, it can be elusive.

Enjoy your race in a few days...and then, when you get back to regular and consistent training for your next race, start figuring out the right pace for the distance for you at that particular time.

ETA: And in case I'm just dropping this into the middle of an inside joke in some MFP clique, this information may still be helpful for someone reading this thread not realizing the joke...since, you know, Fitness and Exercise.
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    bump
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Slow down. Your pace is probably too fast. Shoot for a pace you can comfortably carry on a conversation with another person. Once you build up your stamina for that, speed will come.

Yes, it is. Think of your energy for a run like a gas tank. You can floor it and go 100 and burn through the gas super fast or you can go slower, say 60, and make it to your destination without hitchhiking. You can burn yourself out. A 10k is 6 miles, you need to plan accordingly. Most people plan for negative splits, meaning as they progress in the race, they start going faster for their mile times. It means conserving your energy in the beginning for a strong finish.

Well of course you'll be tired, you're running after all. But have you actually tried slowing down? Really?

And as for ending a 5k with a full blown asthma attack, 5ks are half the distance, you can push harder for a shorter amount of time and end on a really strong note. I sprint the ends of my races, no matter what, maybe with the exception of a marathon. But that doesn't mean I was sprinting the entire time.

Different distance races, different paces. Or just go all out and see what happens. It just depends on how and when you want to finish.

I ran slow at my first 10k in fear not not finishing. I could have ran much faster.

I can't find the balance

Appropriate race pace comes with practice. Lots and lots of practice...and even then, it can be elusive.

Enjoy your race in a few days...and then, when you get back to regular and consistent training for your next race, start figuring out the right pace for the distance for you at that particular time.

ETA: And in case I'm just dropping this into the middle of an inside joke in some MFP clique, this information may still be helpful for someone reading this thread not realizing the joke...since, you know, Fitness and Exercise.

It's a real question, just lacking in some context. Running a one miler well can be difficult for somebody used to running 10ks,
  • soberlicious
    soberlicious Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    it's in over a year. why are you nervous? you have more than enough time to train for a marathon....if you just want to run a 10K, you've got pleeeeeeeeeeeenty of time to tackle your fears and setbacks so you can come out on top. all the people here have given great advice.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

I can't find the balance

It's a real question, just lacking in some context. Running a one miler well can be difficult for somebody used to running 10ks,

Racing a one miler is the devil, period. :laugh:
  • vmclach
    vmclach Posts: 670 Member
    Options

Which leads into my next topic... I have my first 1 mile road race in less than a month. The thought of a one mile race has me nervous. My lungs burn, I lose my vision, my arms pump so hard, every part of my body aches. I feel as if I can't breathe from .12 into the race... I'd like to run sub 5:40

Help!!!
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options

Which leads into my next topic... I have my first 1 mile road race in less than a month. The thought of a one mile race has me nervous. My lungs burn, I lose my vision, my arms pump so hard, every part of my body aches. I feel as if I can't breathe from .12 into the race... I'd like to run sub 5:40

Help!!!

I guess I'm not part of your cool kid's clique, b/c I don't get it. Dang. This is how you find out you're not cool, huh?

ngbbs4dbee0a03a0d1.jpg
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options

Help!!!

Hijacking your own troll thread? What the hell?
  • DavPul
    Options

Help!!!

Hijacking your own troll thread? What the hell?

it would make sense if you knew her
  • likitisplit
    Options

Help!!!

That sounds about the right pacing to me.
This discussion has been closed.