What is your WHY?

Options

Replies

• pJohanna
    pJohanna Posts: 6
    Options
    I walked pass a mirror and that same day noticed my shadow and realized I look pregnant. I realized I didn't like looking at the mirror, looking at pictures of me and most importantly, climbing 16 steps to my bedroom from the first floor left me out of breath.

I want to be able to post a before and after picture and feel great! I want to take selfies dammit! ????
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    IDK? I guess I just feel I shouldn't look this way?

You may be right though, in the past I've had very solid "why" 's

1st time I lost around 35 lbs it was b/c I'd gained it suddenly after a traumatic event and was aware that I had likely put on the weight in some strange way as a reaction to that and I didn't want that event to change nor define me.

2nd time I lost 51 lbs and it was b/c I'd gained it again suddenly as the result of an injury and at some point I learned how to manage my pain better and taking different medicines that did not affect my weight by poor choices or hunger, combined with being told by a dr. she thought my weird food/hunger complaints were an attempt to comfort myself through the endless physical pain made me seek out other comforts and remedies. then it was just a matter of rectifying my eating situation and that time I was forced to lose all my weight through diet alone since I was not ambulatory at the time. This time my "why" was that Dr.'s were starting to blame my weight for my injury when in reality the injury was what caused me to gain the weight. I felt that if I lost the weight they'd finally stop d!cking me around with the insurance and excuses and that old crutch of an excuse "Oh when you lose the weight your back won't hurt so much" would no longer be an option. Essentially I lost the weigth so I could walk again. I was ambulatory before I completed my weight loss though b/c as I said I had researched an implemented many techniques and methods to better my pain severity and perception of it.

3rd time. This is it. It's had a success that was followed by maintenance but my "Why" this time has never been well defined as I started this post. Alternately a big major "why" I got derailed and even backslid is a family member very close to me almost died a couple months ago. It hit me very hard. I could neither make sense of what happened or the aftermath of care and trying to understand her prognosis. It consumed me and I felt helpless living far away. I guess not having a "why" was no match for that. IDK where I am now really. I have nothing that I will gain when I am at goal weight. My kids won't love me more. I won't get the man of my dreams, or the hottest dating bod, I'm already married. I have no health issues related to my weight. I won't get a raise at work or better career prospects b/c I don't work. My husbands opinion of me is not tied to my looks but rather to my character. I guess I don't have a "why" really. Other than as I stated at the beginning. I know I'm not supposed to look like this. I only have for about 5% of my life. It looks like an abomination every time I see it in the mirror. It looks like some other person. One I would not choose to be friends with back in the day. I am surprised when I am able to make friends. It totally surprises me. Every single time.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    Hey OP thanks for this thread I was gonna PM this too you b/c I thought it'd get mucky and embarrassing (and it has) but I read your profile and noticed you are married and thought you might have intended for people to answer you in the thread. So I tried to make as much sense as I could while being as open as I can in a thread like this. Sorry about your mom though and wishing you success in keeping your own health where it should be.:flowerforyou:

*looksfortendollarbilltoputattheendofaplank*
  • bridgie101
    bridgie101 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I learned through 20 yrs smoking that the 'why' of 'health and longevity' doesn't rate. It's just pap words that people mouth.

The why is something else.

Currently, my why is 'why not?' What else am i doing?

May as well. it's only 1700 cals a day, i'm not torturing myself on 1000. May as well continue.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    I learned through 20 yrs smoking that the 'why' of 'health and longevity' doesn't rate. It's just pap words that people mouth.

The why is something else.

Currently, my why is 'why not?' What else am i doing?

May as well. it's only 1700 cals a day, i'm not torturing myself on 1000. May as well continue.

Okay that will be my "why" too.
  • joybedford
    joybedford Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    My original why was my children and a specific incident that occurred. My son has ADHD he ran away from me in the street and almost got hit by a car. I was too unfit and overweight to run after him, I just stood there powerless. Thankfully he was ok but I cried and cried that evening and made the commitment to get fit and healthy and start running. Initially I struggled with the running but on holiday I read a book called "stop making excuses and start living" and it really opened my mind to the possibilities. It changed my mindset from I can't do this, to I will do this.
    My recent why is I have had some health problems over the past 18 months (fibromyalgia and a benign brain tumour). I could very easily have given up but I made the decision that I wasn't going to spend my life on heavy pain killers and antidepressants). I changed my diet and continued with the exercise and thankfully it is paying off. I need to be strong for my children, they have special needs and need the best version of me possible. I recently came off my diet (paleo) and all my symptoms returned now working on getting back to where I was.
  • crissi725
    crissi725 Posts: 82
    Options
    Because I don't want to be my mother. I don't want to be my grandmother. I don't want to be like my aunts and uncles. Because I have NO REASON NOT TO. Because I don't want children and I have plenty of time to be the best version of me. Because I am in love. Because I have always felt out of control of my body and now I'm not. Because it finally makes mathematical sense. Because its not as hard as I thought it would be. Because I hit a weight I NEVER thought I'd hit. Because I am worth it.
  • IHateThinkingOfAUsername
    Options
    Great thought provoking thread, thanks!!

For me...today...
    1) I want to run again. (Or at least be fit enough that should my knees allow, I could go for a run)
    2) I want to save money. I'm paying off my debts and cannot justify buying new clothes when I have a whole wardrobe of smaller clothes I can no longer wear.
  • MikePXstream
    MikePXstream Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Love this <3!

My why is my daughter. I want her to see first hand what living a proactive healthy lifestyle is instead of growing up with a mom who is reacting to weight gain. I want her to understand that eating well and exercising are important to having a balanced healthy and long life!

Fabulous. Our kids are so much more observant than we give them credit for sometimes. Way to go setting the example now!
  • MikePXstream
    Options
    For every one of my previous weight loss attempts, it was to look better and perhaps appear more approachable (Something like that. My self-esteem was almost nonexistent). Today, I have been at this exercising and eating better thing for about 3 months now. This is longer than any other time I had tried losing weight! I hope that I can double this time ... and hopefully, be able to keep doing so year after year!

This time, my motivation is to preserve my mobility. My mom is sedentary (and had not really exercised in her youth) and I see, first-hand, what my fate will be if I do not get active, now. Her back is completely immobile, her legs have atrophied, and she does not go out or do much because she has so little strength. I do not want a life like that when I am in my 60s. I want to be able to be free to do what I want, whether it is traveling, cooking, or seeing my future family.

Eating better just seems to go hand-in-hand with exercising, so naturally, the weight started to come off.

Congrats for hitting the 3 month mark. Keep it going. Just take it one day at a time and you will get there! Thanks for sharing!
  • MikePXstream
    Options
    Amazing post ...

Ive never really had a problem being overweight. I have always been pretty confident in myself but once I did lose weight in the past I got so much more confidence. When Im not as confident in myself I accept less for myself than I deserve. The more confident I am, the better decisions I make in life... That is my "why" if that makes any sense.

Makes perfect sense. I have found myself more confident as well. In fact, I even hold a better posture when walking through stores or down halls. I used to look at the floor in front of me as I walked. Now I look straight ahead, and try to greet more people at work. It's the little things you know!
  • MikePXstream
    Options
    it felt so good to finally have enough energy to get through a workout last night. I hate being sick. I have been sick more these past few months than I have been in over a year. I'm sure it is related to stress.
  • itsmeheatherp
    itsmeheatherp Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Almost 45 years old and I have found my WHY!

It is to finally be me again. I used to be outgoing, fun and enjoy being around other people. I have, over the years, changed into an overweight MOM and WIFE. I had lost sight of what I was in the past. I have emerged from the fog and finally found me again!
    I will: Lose this weight/ Be social again/ Have friends that are not my immediate family/ Enjoy extracurricular activities with my children/ Be the mom that camps and hikes and digs through the caves!
    I want this for myself. I used to want it for others and wait fir them to join in with me, but not anymore! I want this for me and me alone! That is my WHY..........
  • babymulanz
    babymulanz Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I want to be able to say to myself that I'm proud of myself. I want to be able to believe that I can be attractive & not some fat geeky slob. I want to have the energy, drive & passion to really set a goal & achieve it. I don't want to be afraid anymore. I want to go out & feel beautiful, confident & social. I don't ever ever ever want to have to dig through all my wardrobe every single time I go out & try on a million different clothes all the while knowing it is fruitless because I will look fat & disheveled in all of the outfits.

I want to make my parents proud & my fiance proud. I want them to look at me and see a healthy, passionate, beautiful young lady.
  • MikePXstream
    Options
    Itsmeheatherp – Thank you for sharing. You will be that outgoing fun person again. She is not gone, just took a break. It is time for her to come back and you are on your way to doing that. There is nothing wrong with being a little bit selfish and taking care of you. Keep up the good work. We are behind you!

Babymulanz – you have taken the first steps to regaining the person you want to be. You should be proud of yourself already. You have made the decision that you want to better yourself. That’s half the battle right there. The other is staying committed. With those two things, you will succeed. Thank you for sharing!
  • stevefisher4274
    stevefisher4274 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    My why is simple. My wife. In May of 2013 I had to have knee replacement surgery, at least in part because of my weight. I weighed over 400 lbs and had to witness my 145 lb wife have to try and physically assist me. It was eye opening. I lost 30 lbs during a 3 month rehab. As a result of my new knee, I had to move from a physical job to a desk job. With that move and the winter hibernation, I recklessly ballooned back past the 30 lbs I had just lost all the way to nearly 450 lbs. In March of this year, my wife detailed how scared and vulnerable it made her feel seeing me so dependent on others just to move around. When she told me this my heart sank. I felt ashamed for having allowed myself to get to that point. She deserves better than that. I love her too much to cause her needless worry or insecurity. My weight issues and overall health are self inflicted wounds that I can control. So shortly after that conversation, I joined a gym and pledged to myself to exercise 3 days a week. I have since gone at least 3 days and sometimes more days each and every week. 3 weeks ago, I joined mfp and began logging my food and exercise. In the two months since I have joined the gym I have reached my pre-surgery weight (about 30 lbs loss). I am still at the onset of my new found commitment to a better and healthier me. My why is my wife. She deserves my exit in our death due us part commitment to not be a self inflicted one.
  • tabbyblack13
    tabbyblack13 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    My family has a lot of diseases stroke, heart disease, and diabetes to name a few. But there are two that really scare me. Alzheimer’s and Lupus are the two that I so scared of getting. I don’t know if my exercising and diet will prevent me from getting Lupus but I am willing to give it a shot. I know from studies that exercise does help a lot with Alzheimer’s and may even prevent it to an extent. This is why I want to lose weight and exercise. Alzheimer’s is to me very terrifying because you lose yourself.

I admit that I am a homebody too. I don’t get out enough and see things but, I hope this weight lost will help me get out more and enjoy the life I have.
  • MikePXstream
    Options
    My why is simple. My wife. In May of 2013 I had to have knee replacement surgery, at least in part because of my weight. I weighed over 400 lbs and had to witness my 145 lb wife have to try and physically assist me. It was eye opening. I lost 30 lbs during a 3 month rehab. As a result of my new knee, I had to move from a physical job to a desk job. With that move and the winter hibernation, I recklessly ballooned back past the 30 lbs I had just lost all the way to nearly 450 lbs. In March of this year, my wife detailed how scared and vulnerable it made her feel seeing me so dependent on others just to move around. When she told me this my heart sank. I felt ashamed for having allowed myself to get to that point. She deserves better than that. I love her too much to cause her needless worry or insecurity. My weight issues and overall health are self inflicted wounds that I can control. So shortly after that conversation, I joined a gym and pledged to myself to exercise 3 days a week. I have since gone at least 3 days and sometimes more days each and every week. 3 weeks ago, I joined mfp and began logging my food and exercise. In the two months since I have joined the gym I have reached my pre-surgery weight (about 30 lbs loss). I am still at the onset of my new found commitment to a better and healthier me. My why is my wife. She deserves my exit in our death due us part commitment to not be a self inflicted one.

Thank you for sharing. That is a powerful why. It is scary that changes can be made so quickyl that sometimes we dont even realize it, or how it will effect the ones we care for around us, the additional burdens that my be hiding, and so on. Good for you realizing this and committing to makeing a difference. If you ever need additional support, I am right here as well as plenty others I am sure. Don't be afraid to ask
  • MikePXstream
    Options
    My family has a lot of diseases stroke, heart disease, and diabetes to name a few. But there are two that really scare me. Alzheimer’s and Lupus are the two that I so scared of getting. I don’t know if my exercising and diet will prevent me from getting Lupus but I am willing to give it a shot. I know from studies that exercise does help a lot with Alzheimer’s and may even prevent it to an extent. This is why I want to lose weight and exercise. Alzheimer’s is to me very terrifying because you lose yourself.

I admit that I am a homebody too. I don’t get out enough and see things but, I hope this weight lost will help me get out more and enjoy the life I have.

Exercise and proper nutrition will do wonders for you. I have a friend at work who has Lupus, and most days she does just fine, but when it kicks her down, she stays down hard. She has figured out that certain things she eats does seem to make it worse, so she avoids those and it seems to help. I am no doctor, so I can't say one way or the other, but I do not that the cleaner you eat, the better your body reacts to that. Those are definitely good reasons why. Thank you for sharing.
  • vozi_15
    vozi_15 Posts: 1
    Options
    I want to do this because I'm 21 and I'm tired of saying "well I almost hit my goal" or "if I would've continued I would be so happy and healthy". As a student and young adult I have enough to worry about and I think being unhealthy and physically not confident should be one of them. I'm just ready to be happy and love myself. I want to lose the 70 pounds and never have to think about them again! I have to remain myself how worth it this is and how much self hate and shame I had when I allowed myself to give up so many times before.