• rupert2011
    rupert2011 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • SoulOfRusalka
    SoulOfRusalka Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    So many!
    My body fits wrong. It doesn't feel like mine. It's carrying more weight than my frame/genetics are meant to, and it feels strange, like wearing someone else's clothing. It's uncomfortable.
    I'm lazy and irritable when I'm binging. When I listen to my body and eat when I feel like it, I enjoy food more (strange) and feel less hungry, and my energy skyrockets.
    Also, I have a lot of pants that I really love that don't fit. My mother gave my favorite pair of jeans to my older sister without telling me, and when I fit in them again I have a reason to ask for them back! I can't be upset about it now, or they'll tell me I'm too fat for them anyway.
    So those are my whys. I feel more like myself when I'm thin.
  • MikePXstream
    MikePXstream Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    If I don't get healthy, I'll die. How's that for a "why"?

I don't think it gets much more solid than that!
  • lsgibbs83
    lsgibbs83 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Like most people, this is not the first time I have lost weight. I always gained it back when life would throw me a curve ball.

I will be 50 in the spring, I am single, a grandmother, and was fat. I REFUSE to be old and fat. I can't do anything about turning 50 or the fact that I have grandchildren. I don't even have much control over being single but I CAN control what I eat and how much I exercise. Fat is the one thing I have complete control over.

I have lost over 50lbs (I know my official stats say 47lbs but I gained a few before I started losing again). I am now just 15lbs from the upper end of my goal.

I will still be turning 50 in the spring and I still have 3 beautiful granddaughters that I wouldn't trade for the world. I have a photographer friend who wants me to do a portrait session with him but I am waiting until I reach my goal to do that. It makes me feel great that a professional photographer who has sold photos to NASA, has had photos featured in Maxxim magazine, and has done catalog work wants to photograph me. At first I was hesitant but I am actually looking forward to it.

I was also contacted by "the one that got away". He hasn't seen me in almost 9 years and at the time I was about 20-25lbs heavier than I am now. He had no idea that I had lost weight and still wanted to get back together. He never thought about my weight back then but I can tell he really likes the smaller me. So, it appears that I may not be single forever.

It was a struggle getting started but once I made this a lifestyle change instead of a diet, it just clicked and I don't even think about it now. I am happier and more confident than I have been in many, many years and apparently it shows.

I guess, in a nutshell, you could say that my WHY is that I finally realized that I am worth the effort and I deserve to make myself a priority.
  • MikePXstream
    Options
    lsgibbs83 wrote: »
    Like most people, this is not the first time I have lost weight. I always gained it back when life would throw me a curve ball.

I will be 50 in the spring, I am single, a grandmother, and was fat. I REFUSE to be old and fat. I can't do anything about turning 50 or the fact that I have grandchildren. I don't even have much control over being single but I CAN control what I eat and how much I exercise. Fat is the one thing I have complete control over.

I have lost over 50lbs (I know my official stats say 47lbs but I gained a few before I started losing again). I am now just 15lbs from the upper end of my goal.

I will still be turning 50 in the spring and I still have 3 beautiful granddaughters that I wouldn't trade for the world. I have a photographer friend who wants me to do a portrait session with him but I am waiting until I reach my goal to do that. It makes me feel great that a professional photographer who has sold photos to NASA, has had photos featured in Maxxim magazine, and has done catalog work wants to photograph me. At first I was hesitant but I am actually looking forward to it.

I was also contacted by "the one that got away". He hasn't seen me in almost 9 years and at the time I was about 20-25lbs heavier than I am now. He had no idea that I had lost weight and still wanted to get back together. He never thought about my weight back then but I can tell he really likes the smaller me. So, it appears that I may not be single forever.

It was a struggle getting started but once I made this a lifestyle change instead of a diet, it just clicked and I don't even think about it now. I am happier and more confident than I have been in many, many years and apparently it shows.

I guess, in a nutshell, you could say that my WHY is that I finally realized that I am worth the effort and I deserve to make myself a priority.

Congratulation! I am glad you realized you are worth it and making yourself a priority. Don't even worry about being 50. That is just a number. Plus, age is for people that do not know any better. I can't take credit for that quote though :smile: That is all Tony Horton.
  • MikePXstream
    edited December 2014
    Options
    If anyone is interested, I started a group page called X-STREAM Family Fitness. Feel free to join in. community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/100885-x-s-t-r-e-a-m-family-fitness
  • Milton71
    Options
    I Yoyo, go from fit and trim to the point where I cant tie my shoes without holding my breath. My daughter 10 a ball of fire and I need to be able to keep up with her.

• sophomorelove
    sophomorelove Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I know that at his point I either give up on myself or figure out a way to be healthy. I am resposible for my daughter's future eating habits and her body image. I want to be able to show her instead of just telling.
  • MikePXstream
    Options
    I know that at his point I either give up on myself or figure out a way to be healthy. I am resposible for my daughter's future eating habits and her body image. I want to be able to show her instead of just telling.

Definitely DO NOT give up on yourself. Only you can choose to be better than you were yesterday. Sometimes we just need someone in our corner yelling at us to keep going and wipe off our brow with the towel. Your daughter will look up to you and want to do everything you want to do. So you making he choice to show her how to live a healthier life is fabulous! If you need someone in your corner, I am there for you!
  • Betty_Canada
    Betty_Canada Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    My original why was to show up a doctor. (I get so angry at doctors who diagnose me as fat and lazy, and I started calorie counting to make a point. My ob-gyn understood my point, agreed that I'm probably IR and put me on Metformin. That's how it started.)

Part of the why was knee pain (traumatic osteoarthritis); it was diagnosed ten years ago, but I was told I wasn't a good candidate for surgery *facepalm*. I used to be able to walk for miles. All the doctors insisted that losing weight would help with my knee pain. (Turns out they were wrong and it got worse, but that's another post.)

I was doing really well. Lost about 60 lbs. Then I decided I had to try GF because I was still having horrible knee pain. Bad idea, for me anyway. Made me horribly obsessive about food, gained a bunch of weight, wasn't sleeping, and it didn't do a thing for the pain. Scratch that. (I wasn't not doing it right. Turns out it helps rheumatoid arthritis but not injury induced osteoarthritis. Not the same thing at all.)

I fell and injured the offending knee a couple of times last winter, and my workout schedule and my diet just went plain out the window then I finally really mucked it up in March of this year. I finally got an ACL brace, which helps, sort of, but it doesn't provide the miraculous lack of pain and return of function everyone promised me. They won't operate on my knee because I'm only 40, but there is absolutely NO cartilage in there.

I've put back on about 35 bs since it all went sideways. I'm starving and exhausted and freezing all the time but the last time I had bloodwork, my TSH came back as 4.2, well within Canadian normal ranges. I need a new doctor. Maybe my new doctor will give me a hard time for being fat and that will motivate me. I want a second opinion on the thyroid, but I'll probably have to argue with whoever it is first, because they'll blame my fat on being lazy, even though my sister's been under treatment for thyroid issues for nearly a decade and for her, 4.2 is cause for panic. My iron may be tanking out - anemia is an issue I've had before, and it would explain some of the tiredness, but not the other symptoms (except perhaps the acid reflux).

I guess I need a new why because what I had wasn't strong enough to overcome the injury and the pain. I'm a little lost sometimes when my coworker tells me how much she respects me for what I've accomplished and all I see is my failure. I'm absolutely ashamed at how long I've let everything lapse and I don't know if I can face my PT and have to start all over again from ground zero.

I miss feeling strong. I miss feeling in control. I miss feeling like I'm accomplishing something. Perhaps that needs to be my why, to get back to that person who felt like she could do anything, be anything, even if she was still a little too fat.

I guess right now I need something external because I feel like I can't rely on myself anymore to do the right things. The plan is to respawn while I'm on vacation for three weeks and try to at least get back into the habit of regular workouts. We'll try and get new bloodwork and work on getting the food back under control when we're not dealing with holiday stress.

Thanks for listening.

-Betty-
  • notfromarizona
    notfromarizona Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    My reason is because in order to become a firefighter I have to be the strong, lean type. Not the chubby but still cute but can't lift over 20 pounds type.
  • sarieth05
    sarieth05 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I've been trying to get pregnant for close to 2 years now and really wanted to shed some pounds to see if that increases my chances, but also because if/when I DO get pregnant, I want to be healthy for the baby during pregnancy and afterwards. I just constantly think if I had gotten pregnant two years ago close to 300 lbs, and gained weight during pregnancy, how much harder it would have been for me to lose weight if I ever decided to do it.

So my why every month that I'm not pregnant is "Great, I have one more month of focusing on MY health in case I'm pregnant next month and have to focus on OUR health".
  • MikePXstream
    Options
    My reason is because in order to become a firefighter I have to be the strong, lean type. Not the chubby but still cute but can't lift over 20 pounds type.

Being a firefighter is no joke. You definitely have to be in pretty good shape to do that.

sarieth05 wrote: »
    I've been trying to get pregnant for close to 2 years now and really wanted to shed some pounds to see if that increases my chances, but also because if/when I DO get pregnant, I want to be healthy for the baby during pregnancy and afterwards. I just constantly think if I had gotten pregnant two years ago close to 300 lbs, and gained weight during pregnancy, how much harder it would have been for me to lose weight if I ever decided to do it.

So my why every month that I'm not pregnant is "Great, I have one more month of focusing on MY health in case I'm pregnant next month and have to focus on OUR health".

Sounds like a great why to me. You want to be healthy for the both of you!
  • GingerbreadCandy
    GingerbreadCandy Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Well, 1) I want to be at a healthy weight 2) I want to go on holiday and not worry that I may not be fit enough to do some of the more physically demanding activities.
  • PipeWrencher
    PipeWrencher Posts: 6
    edited December 2014
    Options
    This is my why it's copied from my about section on my profile..
    I moved to a city from a small town just over a year ago, in support of my man. Also in hopes of furthering my career and options in the trades.
    We bought a house , took on a massive full renovation. I got a Plumbing apprenticeship that I wanted, bought a new vehicle, learned to drive in the city, learned to navigate with the aid of GPS.
    My whole world has changed, I am lonely in the midst of so many others. I miss my home and family, I miss the comfort of the familiar.
    As a consequence in this flurry of newness, stress and acclimation my physique has been neglected. I am strong always have been from working physical jobs.. I am now also larger than I would like to be.
    This was driven home recently when I allowed myself to hope that my dreams of marriage and starting a family one day may finally be on the horizon. I attempted to have a family planning conversation with my bearded half, it did not go well.
    In summary we are not healthy enough to consider kids yet, and by we he meant me. Apparently I exceed the weight limits to start a family yet and he fears I will let go of myself even more. *kitten* hole.( After 5 years of sacrifice for his goals!)
    I know I deserve to be loved no matter my size.
    So to be truthful I am going reduce my size in an anger fueled quest.. that will result in more confidence and health for me. And the best part about renewed confidence is leaving the *kitten* holes in the dust!
  • PandoraGreen721
    PandoraGreen721 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    My why - because it's time.
  • jabx1962
    jabx1962 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I decided to stop being a workaholic, and start doing things for myself. At my age, its not easy. But, I eat right and exercise everyday. The exercise is my new addiction.
  • Greensherbert
    Greensherbert Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Great read!! &Definitely so true!
  • SkFarmMom
    SkFarmMom Posts: 46 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    For me, it's not a fear of dying that motivates me (that's going to come no matter what I do), it's a fear of not living well. I don't want to go through life dreaming, without the ability of doing.

I spent my youth actively, camping in the mountains, hiking, water skiing, going with work crews to foreign countries (short term missions), white water canoeing, horseback riding, downhill skiing...then adulthood hit (the weekend after I graduated from high school)...I got a job, became a (mostly) responsible adult. I worked mostly sedentary jobs, and didn't have the time...and later the energy for active pursuits. I gained weight.

I got married, had two awesome kids, gained more weight.

I chased lifetime dreams with my Hubby, relocated, bought a farm.

We got the horses I'd been wanting since I was a kid. I found out I was too out of shape to really train or ride them...too hard to get into the saddle, too easily injured with extra weight and weak muscles. It made me fearful, so for 5 years I sat back and dreamed of riding, instead of actually climbing up in the saddle.

I spent winter months dreaming of landscaping our yard, knowing I didn't have the energy to follow through with the plans. I got tired of it.

I got tired of watching the house get more and more disorganized, because I didn't have the energy to keep up with kids and farm and house.

I got tired of wanting to play hockey, or football, or baseball with my boys, but being too out of shape to run...or having feet too sore to skate.

I don't want to wake up one day and realize my life is nearly over, and that I wasted this precious gift...spent daydreaming, but not doing.

I want my kids to know it's okay to chase crazy dreams, that it's good to work hard, that life is meant to be lived.

This summer I finally got back on a horse. I took a fall and hurt my shoulder, but it's on the mend. The same day that I fell, I got back on again. My knees hurt climbing fences, but they didn't stop me. I ran after, away from, and with my kids, playing tag and baseball and football.

This winter I'm dropping weight, starting strength training and keeping active. I need some serious upper body strength, flexibility and agility for what I want to do next.

Next summer, Lord willing, I'm going to fulfill another childhood dream and ride bucking stock in a small town rodeo...WHY?

Because I don't want to look back and wish I had.

Life's too short to live with regret.
  • addokai
    addokai Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    bump