Members w/out Profile Pics..

Options

Replies

• Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    How do you even know if a picture a person has on their profile is even them?

You can Google it but they can easily use a picture of someone else that doesn't show up on Google. I just don't see how having a profile pic makes the person less creepy.
  • KariOrtiz2014
    KariOrtiz2014 Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Just stated how above! Thank you :-)

I don't see where you answered it.

What if:

Someone sent your child "teenager" a friend request on a social network and that person had no picture? There wouldn't be no level of concern to you AT ALL???

Hmmm... sorry that I'd be a parent that would care enough to know who's talking to my child..

And please don't tell me your child "teenager" wouldn't be allowed to have a Facebook!!

Anyway, just because we are adults and assuming that most of us are smart adults, doesn't mean that you cant be a little cautious with who you socialize on the internet.

Terrible analogy

There are many things I'll do that I won't allow my kids to do

They'll do it anyway. LOL
  • outofworkpediatrician
    Options
    I could care less if this was MySpace, "Friendster", or Facebook same concept would apply. If can't even know(see) who is commenting me or PMing me then its creepy to even have them as a 'friend'. I don't see why people would get on a social network and not add a picture of themselves.
    as far as i know, this is not a social networking site. my understanding was that the "pal" in myfitnesspal is the site, not friends you find here. either way, i am not here for social networking, more for help with food and exercise logging, and get opinions about diet and fitness things from people who have actually walked the walk. for the same reason i have not sent any friends request either. i can see how sending a friends request while one does not have any personal info or picture on the profile could be seen as a bit creepy.
    like someone else said, i do not want to put a picture up as i want my privacy and want to limit my internet footprint. i could put some other picture as avatar, but i did not see a reason to do that! viewing everyone without a profile picture as "tech un-savvy" or having no commitment to diet and fitness is judgmental and pointless. :)
  • missyjane824
    missyjane824 Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    i have very strict friend-request-acception guidelines that i completely throw out the window if the chick has a nice rack.

????????????
  • _101010_
    _101010_ Posts: 121
    Options
    I'm too sexy for a profile pic.
    That, however.. Is one sexy T-rex in your pic lol.

It never misses leg day, that's for damn sure! lol
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    No pics and blank profiles have me hitting the decline/delete button.

I mean, if you can't even put forth the effort to add some info to your MFP account, how the hell are you gonna muster up the effort required to achieve successful, long-term health and fitness goals?
    I don't accept friend requests from animals.
  • jackjb2
    jackjb2 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    amen!!!!
  • KariOrtiz2014
    Options
    I could care less if this was MySpace, "Friendster", or Facebook same concept would apply. If can't even know(see) who is commenting me or PMing me then its creepy to even have them as a 'friend'. I don't see why people would get on a social network and not add a picture of themselves.
    as far as i know, this is not a social networking site. my understanding was that the "pal" in myfitnesspal is the site, not friends you find here. either way, i am not here for social networking, more for help with food and exercise logging, and get opinions about diet and fitness things from people who have actually walked the walk. for the same reason i have not sent any friends request either. i can see how sending a friends request while one does not have any personal info or picture on the profile could be seen as a bit creepy.
    like someone else said, i do not want to put a picture up as i want my privacy and want to limit my internet footprint. i could put some other picture as avatar, but i did not see a reason to do that! viewing everyone without a profile picture as "tech un-savvy" or having no commitment to diet and fitness is judgmental and pointless. :)

ANYWAY... congrats on your weight loss. I know that I've only lost 11 pounds compared to your 29..:sad: Makes me not seem like I'm "walking the walk". But in reality, I'm still learning just like those who've "walked the walk"!!
  • KariOrtiz2014
    Options
    How do you even know if a picture a person has on their profile is even them?

Assuming that not everyone in the world are liars! That's a hell of an assumption! lol
  • KariOrtiz2014
    Options
    I have a picture of my cat as my profile picture. I have my profile filled out, a few friends and about 100 posts. The reason I don't have a picture of myself in my profile is that I hate the way i look and I refuse to take a picture of me or let someone else take a picture of me while I'm this fat.

I'm fat too. But its temporary. LOL :) You got to love yourself now. Taking a picture of yourself is a good step because you can always compare in the future of how far you've come.
  • Cheeky_and_Geeky
    Cheeky_and_Geeky Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    I typically will accept the FR, but if I don't hear from someone in a week I will delete them anyways.
  • Sinisterly
    Sinisterly Posts: 10,913 Member
    Options
    Why in the world would your profile photo / avatar matter on this site? This isn't myspace, or friendster, or facebook is it?

Because not everyone is here to socialize. It is THEIR choice and THEIR choice only what they choose to do on this site.
    For a lot of people this is simply a tool to better themselves and that is their personal choice and no one has the right to judge them, plain and simple.

If they are ADDING people then they're socializing!
    And the world isn't going to collapse if you hit decline. 1 second flat.
    Just adding isn't socializing. I've had plenty add me and then they don't say diddly to me.

If the world isn't going to collapse then why are you getting so upset over a topic?

Adding is not an attempt to socialize? I didn't know that sending a friend request was a "tool" that MFP has for fitness!??
    Ah, guess you haven't spent much time online.

:) I have a life outside of MFP too.. Some people spend too much time online!
    Some people work with computers, dear ;)
    Your trolling skills need work.

I am not "trolling". It was just a topic to bring up. No hard feelings. You add whoever you like to your page and I'll add whoever I like to mine. :) There its settled!
    Settled? Didn't know it was even an argument lol.
    I guess I should have been reading your defensiveness towards my reply. MY BAD!
    Yeah, I guess it must be settled, but I missed it lol. Whoops haha.
  • KariOrtiz2014
    Options
    Why in the world would your profile photo / avatar matter on this site? This isn't myspace, or friendster, or facebook is it?

Because not everyone is here to socialize. It is THEIR choice and THEIR choice only what they choose to do on this site.
    For a lot of people this is simply a tool to better themselves and that is their personal choice and no one has the right to judge them, plain and simple.

Just adding isn't socializing. I've had plenty add me and then they don't say diddly to me.

If the world isn't going to collapse then why are you getting so upset over a topic?

Adding is not an attempt to socialize? I didn't know that sending a friend request was a "tool" that MFP has for fitness!??

I am not "trolling". It was just a topic to bring up. No hard feelings. You add whoever you like to your page and I'll add whoever I like to mine. :) There its settled!

Silly rabbit trix's are for kids!
  • GertrudeHorse
    GertrudeHorse Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Some of us want to keep our privacy. I don't understand the need to be so open on the internet. I try to keep my internet footprint as small as possible. I don't care if others do not have pics, but they need to send me a message and their home page should give some info about what they are doing and why they are here, otherwise I reject the friend request.
    This is my approach too. Although I still think uploading *some* picture is better than leaving the grey-face there. Just uploading a random picture makes the person seem more approachable and real. I guess it also gives some indication of their personality too, without compromising their privacy. I don't think I have any grey-faces on my friend list, but then I dunno if any have added me either...
  • Sinisterly
    Sinisterly Posts: 10,913 Member
    Options

Silly rabbit trix's are for kids!
    You know, I haven't had that cereal in years. You're making me miss it. AWAY WITH THEE!!!
    -looks up prices anyway-
  • BigVeggieDream
    BigVeggieDream Posts: 1,101 Member
    Options

What if:

Someone sent your child "teenager" a friend request on a social network and that person had no picture? There wouldn't be no level of concern to you AT ALL???

Hmmm... sorry that I'd be a parent that would care enough to know who's talking to my child..

And please don't tell me your child "teenager" wouldn't be allowed to have a Facebook!!

Anyway, just because we are adults and assuming that most of us are smart adults, doesn't mean that you cant be a little cautious with who you socialize on the internet.

They could easily use a picture that is not themselves, so you still have no idea what they look like. It's how they act that tells you something about them, not how they look.
  • KariOrtiz2014
    Options
    Some of us want to keep our privacy. I don't understand the need to be so open on the internet. I try to keep my internet footprint as small as possible. I don't care if others do not have pics, but they need to send me a message and their home page should give some info about what they are doing and why they are here, otherwise I reject the friend request.
    This is my approach too. Although I still think uploading *some* picture is better than leaving the grey-face there. Just uploading a random picture makes the person seem more approachable and real. I guess it also gives some indication of their personality too, without compromising their privacy. I don't think I have any grey-faces on my friend list, but then I dunno if any have added me either...

You summed it up a lot better than I did!! I would add someone that has "some" kind of picture over someone who doesn't have one at all.

Even that rabbit that is so adorable!!:flowerforyou: :heart: :tongue:
  • KariOrtiz2014
    Options

What if:

They could easily use a picture that is not themselves, so you still have no idea what they look like. It's how they act that tells you something about them, not how they look.

APPARENTLY!!! Oh duh
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    I only have 3 friends with no profile pictures, and they're all people I know in real life.
  • missyjane824
    missyjane824 Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options

What if:

I'm not seeing how a pic makes a difference. Someone could pull a random pic and put it on their profile. How are you going to know it's not them. Seems a pic might make the equation worse.