Are Quest Bars clean?

Options

Replies

• jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I've watched the youtube clip and read the rest of the details of the product and apart from that strap line (which is ambiguous) it does not promote or even suggest the product is aimed at the clean eating community.

What Youtube clip?

And if you don't think they're suggesting their products are clean, what do you think they mean with the #CheatClean advertising campaign?
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    I have no idea what quest bars are but if they are simply another version of chocolate bars disguised as a protein "supplement" then I will take the chocolate bar (or preferably cake.)

At my health club there has been a big upswing in protein products. You can get protein ice cream. You can get a "shot" of protein powder in your smoothie or coffee. You can get protein chicken and protein protein (this might be a lie...)

Which is fine except the mark up on the products is ridiculous.

Clean is marketing term primarily and it seems the people at Quest like marketing...
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    I've watched the youtube clip and read the rest of the details of the product and apart from that strap line (which is ambiguous) it does not promote or even suggest the product is aimed at the clean eating community.

I think you're barking up the wrong tree with this one!

DYEL?
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options

What Youtube clip?

And if you don't think they're suggesting their products are clean, what do you think they mean with the #CheatClean advertising campaign?

theultimate#cheatclean - directs you to their the ultimate taste test at some expo a couple of months ago. Just lots of high fives but no mention that the bars are a clean eating food.

edited: for spelling - I know you like me to get it right!
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    Options
    I would call them "clean", but I don't have an almost religious view of the sanctity of all my food. Conventional veggies and fruits are "clean" to me, conventionally raised steak is "clean" to me, instant oatmeal (plain) is "clean" to me...

Especially the ones with sucralose btw...because erthyritol/stevia just has a nasty after taste...

I like how the website "justifies" the inclusion of sucralose by explaining that unlike the filler laden packets that the companies use so idiots don't use to much, when formulated for people, they're only included in VERY small amounts.
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options

What Youtube clip?

Speaking as someone who works in marketing for a very large company, advertisers can say whatever they want to make certain demographics believe that their product fits into their lifestyle. There are people who literally get paid to twist words to make them sound appealing no matter what. At my job, we sit around a table for hours just trying to think of catchy ways to word things to make people believe that they need our products in their lives. Tricky marketing jerks.

Take it as you will. If you read the list of ingredients and think that they fit into your diet, go for it. If not, then don't eat it. Quite simple.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

I think you're barking up the wrong tree with this one!

DYEL?

Yes on Thursdays and Sundays - but not heavy.
  • jonnythan
    Options

What Youtube clip?

theultimate#cheatclean - directs you to their the ultimate taste test at some expo a couple of months ago. Just lots of high fives but no mention that the bars are a clean eating food.

I'm having trouble following you. If I click on the large "#CHEATCLEAN" at the top of the site, it brings me to an ordering page for the bars.

What are you clicking on to get to this taste test?
  • Kadoober
    Kadoober Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I've just creeped through their FB page, and there appears to be a series called 'Cooking Clean with Quest', which would suggest that they feel Quest bars are clean.

The 'About' section says 'Quest Bars have No added sugar, are gluten free and totally junk free!' I wonder if that is how they define 'clean'?

I asked em for their definition, we'll see if they respond.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

What Youtube clip?

I'm having trouble following you. If I click on the large "#CHEATCLEAN" at the top of the site, it brings me to an ordering page for the bars.

typing 'theultimate#cheatclean' into google.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options
    I've just creeped through their FB page, and there appears to be a series called 'Cooking Clean with Quest', which would suggest that they feel Quest bars are clean.

The 'About' section says 'Quest Bars have No added sugar, are gluten free and totally junk free!' I wonder if that is how they define 'clean'?

That would be interesting. :smile:
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options

Also this....

If you check out the facebook page there's a ton of broscience bikini models that use it a "clean desert" after their months of dieting down on a cookie cutter meal plan with excessive amounts of cardio.
  • jonnythan
    Options

What Youtube clip?

typing 'theultimate#cheatclean' into google.

Oh, I see.

So you think that Quest using "Cheat Clean" heavily in their marketing doesn't mean they are advertising the bars as "clean"?

Also, as another poster noted, they have a "Cooking Clean with Quest" series.

Do you still feel Quest "does not promote or even suggest the product is aimed at the clean eating community"?
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    As long as I keep them in my top shirt pocket.
    Made the mistake of putting one in my front pants pocket.
  • JossFit
    JossFit Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Serious question. Do you consider Quest Bars clean?

What does "clean" mean to you?

Its an arbitrary term. To a vegan, eating animal products is not clean. To a Paleo dieter, oatmeal isn't clean. It's all perspective, and what someone else thinks really has no bearing on you and your diet. I suggest you read the following article if you haven't already;

http://www.wannabebig.com/diet-and-nutrition/the-dirt-on-clean-eating/
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Sure, they are clean....but so is a Zinger.
  • DebraYvonne
    DebraYvonne Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I love them!
  • TX_Rhon
    TX_Rhon Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    depends if you drop 'em on the floor or not. remember, you can always rely on the 5 second rule.

I obviously am a "cleaner" eater - we only have a 3-second rule!

OP - Good question but I have yet to find a "clean eater" who follows a particular pattern as to what is and is not clean. So, I'm in for the answer. Happy Friday :flowerforyou:
  • laurenawolf
    laurenawolf Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Clean enough for me. But poptarts are also clean. And M&Ms and donuts :)
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

and the crux of the issue- why is their bar so much less full of junk than my delicious snickers bar??

THAT is the question!!
This discussion has been closed.