Are Quest Bars clean?

Options

Replies

• neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Food marketing is an interesting subject especially given that many descriptions and benefits given to a product seem to be based on nothing tangible but rather smoke and mirrors.

I remember as a kid growing up in the UK that there was a long running campaign for "Mars" chocolate bars based on the idea that "A Mars a day helps you work, rest and play."

I must eat that, I thought. It will help me work, rest and play. What magic! I felt almost virtuous.

In fact any food will help you work, rest and play as it contains calories (energy) as well as nutrients. All the Mars Bar was proudly proclaiming was that it had the same benefit of just about anything else...

a mars a day helps you work rest and play..... that's going to be in my head for the rest of the day now lol

actually when I was a kid everyone in my school sang "a mars a day helps your teeth rot away" (thinking we were rebels because we'd changed it, like how singing "he jumped without a parachute for 40,000 feet" instead of "mine eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the lord" in assembly was rebellious) - this version was probably coined by a dentist with a good head for marketing lol

I still love mars bars, to me they're the archetypal chocolate bars and all others are just a variation of the mars bar...
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    :smile:

article-2304612-191D36BD000005DC-576_634x362.jpg
  • tennisdude2004
    Options
    Food marketing is an interesting subject especially given that many descriptions and benefits given to a product seem to be based on nothing tangible but rather smoke and mirrors.

I remember as a kid growing up in the UK that there was a long running campaign for "Mars" chocolate bars based on the idea that "A Mars a day helps you work, rest and play."

I must eat that, I thought. It will help me work, rest and play. What magic! I felt almost virtuous.

In fact any food will help you work, rest and play as it contains calories (energy) as well as nutrients. All the Mars Bar was proudly proclaiming was that it had the same benefit of just about anything else...

a mars a day helps you work rest and play..... that's going to be in my head for the rest of the day now lol

actually when I was a kid everyone in my school sang "a mars a day helps your teeth rot away" (thinking we were rebels because we'd changed it, like how singing "he jumped without a parachute for 40,000 feet" instead of "mine eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the lord" in assembly was rebellious) - this version was probably coined by a dentist with a good head for marketing lol

I still love mars bars, to me they're the archetypal chocolate bars and all others are just a variation of the mars bar...

How about a finger of fudge!
  • TheStephil
    TheStephil Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    They advertise "#CheatClean" but the definition of "clean" is different to so many different people.

My opinion? Who cares. They are delicious, full of fiber and protein, decent on calories. Did I mention they are delcious?

This post was made possible by the quest bar that I'm shoving in my mouth.
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    depends if you drop 'em on the floor or not. remember, you can always rely on the 5 second rule.

Depends on the floor too.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options

Is just enough to give your kids a treat
    A Cadbury's fudge is just enough
    Until it's time to eat
    It's full of Cadbury's goodness
    And very small and neat....

Noooooooo, now I will be humming that!
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

Until it's time to eat

I haven't stopped humming it since I thought of it 15 minutes ago.
  • trisha986
    trisha986 Posts: 139
    Options
    What does it matter if they are "clean" or not? What is really considered "clean" anyway? All natural, organic and no preservatives? In that case, I guess no.

But really, who cares. As long as it fits your macro nutrients you have set as your goal, thats all that matters. It's a whole lot better than eating a bag of potato chips that's for sure.
  • jmv7117
    jmv7117 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    Serious question. Do you consider Quest Bars clean?

NO
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    The ad for Oreo looking quest 'bars' referred to as #cheatclean has been an ad on my MFP home page for a couple of days now. This is a little off subject, but it says it has 3 "active carbs".

I've never heard the term "active carbs" before. Anyone know what the means? Is it the same as 'net carbs"?
    Way way back when I was losing weight, low carb was all the rage. Folks on the fit day forums used the term active carbs to refer to non-fiber carbs. The ones that do impact insulin and blood sugar levels. So, yes, basically the same concept as net carbs probably. I'd never heard of net carbs (or net calories, in fact) til I joined MFP.
  • jmv7117
    Options
    why have none of the die hard clean eaters come to comment on this thread?

I commented :huh:
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    I'm going with "not clean." I'm interested to see what their response is to the question posted on their Facebook page.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    No you aren't. You make your own definition of clean eating so what exactly do you think the answer is to your question? Your are clearly trolling...

I have no definition of clean eating. I've stated many times all over the forum that the very concept of "clean" food makes no sense.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    The ad for Oreo looking quest 'bars' referred to as #cheatclean has been an ad on my MFP home page for a couple of days now. This is a little off subject, but it says it has 3 "active carbs".

I've never heard the term "active carbs" before. Anyone know what the means? Is it the same as 'net carbs"?
    Way way back when I was losing weight, low carb was all the rage. Folks on the fit day forums used the term active carbs to refer to non-fiber carbs. The ones that do impact insulin and blood sugar levels. So, yes, basically the same concept as net carbs probably. I'd never heard of net carbs (or net calories, in fact) til I joined MFP.

I learned the term "net carbs" back when Atkins first became popular. It's total carbs minus fiber, so yeah, same thing.
  • allana1111
    allana1111 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    yes
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options

Until it's time to eat

Damn you all! I just got the Mars one out of my head, and now you make me sing this!

How about "Everyone's a Fruit and Nut case!" Darn catchy jingles :-(
  • jmv7117
    Options
    why have none of the die hard clean eaters come to comment on this thread?

maybe you need to start one "are quest bars paleo" just for the mental image of Homo erectus people hunting quest bars or picking them off fruit trees :laugh:

Maybe the clean eaters are not going to rise to the flame baiting!!! :smile:

Flame baiting? I find that kinda funny coming from a guy who posted a thread earlier in the week called "sugar and processed food good or bad?" Just sayin'...........

A thread which got locked because it was intentionally divisive and baiting.

Anyway, I find it genuinely interesting that Quest is fairly heavily marketing their products as "clean" but no one, even on MFP, appears to be willing to characterize them that way.

Sure you're interested :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh:
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

Until it's time to eat

Damn you all! I just got the Mars one out of my head, and now you make me sing this!

How about "Everyone's a Fruit and Nut case!" Darn catchy jingles :-(

Oh touché!

Hunky, chunky almonds!!
  • Lynn8100
    Lynn8100 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I use them as a meal supplement when I am on the go! With about 20 grams of protein and 20 grams of fiber at only 170 calories, no gluten, and one gram of sugar (net 5 carbs) they are a delicious replacement that is easy and keeps me on track. I always wash before I eat so I guess I would still be clean.

:drinker:
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

I learned the term "net carbs" back when Atkins first became popular. It's total carbs minus fiber, so yeah, same thing.
    Interesting!
This discussion has been closed.