Are Quest Bars clean?

Options

Replies

• chani8
    chani8 Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    Wouldn't touch them. Clean?? Clean means unprocessed. Those ingredients do not occur naturally. Last I looked, you can't grow or even make in your own home "whey protein isolate" or "Isomalto-Oligosaccharides".
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    I've just creeped through their FB page, and there appears to be a series called 'Cooking Clean with Quest', which would suggest that they feel Quest bars are clean.

The 'About' section says 'Quest Bars have No added sugar, are gluten free and totally junk free!' I wonder if that is how they define 'clean'?

I asked em for their definition, we'll see if they respond.

That would be interesting. :smile:

Clearly sugar and gluten are dirty. Especially so for non diabetics and non celiacs.

There was something about the fibre amounts being bs also. As well as the fact that they were being sued for nutrition label errors.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options

Do you still feel Quest "does not promote or even suggest the product is aimed at the clean eating community"?

I do not think they are targeting any "community" in reality but rather using vague unconscious associations many people have with the word "clean" to market themselves to as many people as possible.

It's pretty much like saying "full of natural goodness" or "good for your health".

Sounds impressive but ultimately meaningless.
  • TX_Rhon
    TX_Rhon Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    why have none of the die hard clean eaters come to comment on this thread?

maybe you need to start one "are quest bars paleo" just for the mental image of Homo erectus people hunting quest bars or picking them off fruit trees :laugh:

Maybe the clean eaters are not going to rise to the flame baiting!!! :smile:

Flame baiting? I find that kinda funny coming from a guy who posted a thread earlier in the week called "sugar and processed food good or bad?" Just sayin'...........
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    why have none of the die hard clean eaters come to comment on this thread?

maybe you need to start one "are quest bars paleo" just for the mental image of Homo erectus people hunting quest bars or picking them off fruit trees :laugh:

Maybe the clean eaters are not going to rise to the flame baiting!!! :smile:

Flame baiting? I find that kinda funny coming from a guy who posted a thread earlier in the week called "sugar and processed food good or bad?" Just sayin'...........

A thread which got locked because it was intentionally divisive and baiting.

Anyway, I find it genuinely interesting that Quest is fairly heavily marketing their products as "clean" but no one, even on MFP, appears to be willing to characterize them that way.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    I've watched the youtube clip and read the rest of the details of the product and apart from that strap line (which is ambiguous) it does not promote or even suggest the product is aimed at the clean eating community.

What Youtube clip?

And if you don't think they're suggesting their products are clean, what do you think they mean with the #CheatClean advertising campaign?

theultimate#cheatclean - directs you to their the ultimate taste test at some expo a couple of months ago. Just lots of high fives but no mention that the bars are a clean eating food.

edited: for spelling - I know you like me to get it right!

I'm having trouble following you. If I click on the large "#CHEATCLEAN" at the top of the site, it brings me to an ordering page for the bars.

What are you clicking on to get to this taste test?

typing 'theultimate#cheatclean' into google.

Oh, I see.

So you think that Quest using "Cheat Clean" heavily in their marketing doesn't mean they are advertising the bars as "clean"?

Also, as another poster noted, they have a "Cooking Clean with Quest" series.

Do you still feel Quest "does not promote or even suggest the product is aimed at the clean eating community"?

No I don't - in fact I think they are claiming their bars are junk free and using the term clean - to convey a sense of healthiness.

Not sure I agree with their message, but I certainly do no think they are aiming their bars at the clean eating community - in fact I have looked through their facebook page and there website and they do not use the term clean eating, clean eaters (or at least I cannot see it).
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Not sure I agree with their message, but I certainly do no think they are aiming their bars at the clean eating community - in fact I have looked through their facebook page and there website and they do not use the term clean eating, clean eaters (or at least I cannot see it).

I'm not sure what the distinction is, but you're the only one talking about "the clean eating community" or "clean eaters." Quest isn't using those terms and I'm not using those terms so I'm not sure why you're using them. I'll just leave that be.

I'm not asking if they're targeting those groups. I asked if people consider Quest Bars clean.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

I do not think they are targeting any "community" in reality but rather using vague unconscious associations many people have with the word "clean" to market themselves to as many people as possible.

It's pretty much like saying "full of natural goodness" or "good for your health".

I think this.

They're not targeting a community, but by calling themselves "clean," they are trying to appeal to consumers' desire to eat more healthy.

ETA: The same way that Cheerios advertises by saying it can help lower cholesterol. It actually doesn't do that at all. But because you're eating cheerios instead of bacon, eggs, and toast, your cholesterol numbers are miraculously better.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

I'm not sure what the distinction is, but you're the only one talking about "the clean eating community" or "clean eaters." Quest isn't using those terms and I'm not using those terms so I'm not sure why you're using them. I'll just leave that be.

I'm not asking if they're targeting those groups. I asked if people consider Quest Bars clean.
    I am curious what "clean eaters" think.

sound familiar?
  • jonnythan
    Options

I think this.

They're not targeting a community, but by calling themselves "clean," they are trying to appeal to consumers' desire to eat more healthy.

So the question remains... do people actually consider them clean? Apparently the answer is no.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

I think this.

This^^^
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    No, I don't think they are 'clean'.

But I wonder if perhaps they are not advertising the Cookies and Cream and clean, rather saying that if you're eating clean, and you're going to have a cheat, Quest is the way to go?

I had this thought as well. I happen to follow them on twitter and pinterest (in hopes of coupons/sales/etc) and everything is #cheatclean recently (not just the cookies and cream).

I have read their label, and I don't like calling food "clean", but by definition I don't think these would qualify. They might be "cleaner" than other protein bars. I would guess this is aimed at 80/20 people?
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Options

I think this.

So the question remains... do people actually consider them clean? Apparently the answer is no.

Marketing at its best (or worst). I'm not a clean eater, but if I was one, I wouldn't consider it clean.

To take it one step further, I'd say that marketing it as #cheatclean is more geared towards people who are clueless about nutrition and want to make that first step. I included a cheerios example on my previous post, and now that I think about it, Special K does something similar. Lose 5 pounds in 2 weeks or something like that, is their line. Does it have any special powers? No. But because they say that, someone sitting on their couch watching TV will go buy Special K hoping it will help them lose weight.

The same thing goes for Quest bars. Does the company themselves consider them clean? Probably not, but if it'll get some noob to try it, then the advertising works. In the end, that's all that matters.
  • establishingaplace
    establishingaplace Posts: 301 Member
    Options

I think this.

My impression is that some clean eaters make the allowance for Quest bars because they have what seems like a decent ingredient list. I'm sure some out there would consider them clean and others would not, as the definition of clean varies from person to person.
  • Kadoober
    Kadoober Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    This post has sent me on an interesting little tour of the interwebs today!

I am at the point where I think Quest is just taking advantage of the popularity of the extremely subjective phrase 'clean', and is using it as a buzzword without coming straight out and saying 'Quest Bars are CLEAN'. They know people will jump on the bandwagon. It's what people do.

I came across a blog where the author is eating her idea of 'clean', and apparently that means Sweet potatoes are OK, white potatoes are not. Greek Yogurt is OK, ice cream is not. And, my favorite.... Truvia is OK. Sugar is not. Wha??

I'm going to just start spraying a bit of Windex on everything I make. I too, can be a clean eater! Woop!
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    Food marketing is an interesting subject especially given that many descriptions and benefits given to a product seem to be based on nothing tangible but rather smoke and mirrors.

I remember as a kid growing up in the UK that there was a long running campaign for "Mars" chocolate bars based on the idea that "A Mars a day helps you work, rest and play."

I must eat that, I thought. It will help me work, rest and play. What magic! I felt almost virtuous.

In fact any food will help you work, rest and play as it contains calories (energy) as well as nutrients. All the Mars Bar was proudly proclaiming was that it had the same benefit of just about anything else...
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Options
    This post has sent me on an interesting little tour of the interwebs today!

I am at the point where I think Quest is just taking advantage of the popularity of the extremely subjective phrase 'clean', and is using it as a buzzword without coming straight out and saying 'Quest Bars are CLEAN'. They know people will jump on the bandwagon. It's what people do.

I came across a blog where the author is eating her idea of 'clean', and apparently that means Sweet potatoes are OK, white potatoes are not. Greek Yogurt is OK, ice cream is not. And, my favorite.... Truvia is OK. Sugar is not. Wha??

I'm going to just start spraying a bit of Windex on everything I make. I too, can be a clean eater! Woop!

I have a friend like that. She constantly tells others to eat clean but also says to drink almond milk and not cows milk. Hmm...
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    The ad for Oreo looking quest 'bars' referred to as #cheatclean has been an ad on my MFP home page for a couple of days now. This is a little off subject, but it says it has 3 "active carbs".

I've never heard the term "active carbs" before. Anyone know what the means? Is it the same as 'net carbs"?
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Food marketing is an interesting subject especially given that many descriptions and benefits given to a product seem to be based on nothing tangible but rather smoke and mirrors.

I remember as a kid growing up in the UK that there was a long running campaign for "Mars" chocolate bars based on the idea that "A Mars a day helps you work, rest and play."

I must eat that, I thought. It will help me work, rest and play. What magic! I felt almost virtuous.

In fact any food will help you work, rest and play as it contains calories (energy) as well as nutrients. All the Mars Bar was proudly proclaiming was that it had the same benefit of just about anything else...

I agree, and I remember those ads!

Looks to me like Quest are playing to the image of "clean" eating, but they don't want to come right out and say "our bars are clean", as then someone will say "define clean" or "no they are not!". You get the feeling of being clean/healthy/virtuous without all the work. They are marketing the lifestyle as much as the product (just like beer commercials, Happy meals etc etc).
  • jonnythan
    Options
    The ad for Oreo looking quest 'bars' referred to as #cheatclean has been an ad on my MFP home page for a couple of days now. This is a little off subject, but it says it has 3 "active carbs".

I've never heard the term "active carbs" before. Anyone know what the means? Is it the same as 'net carbs"?

Yeah, I noticed that too. Apparently it means the same thing as net carbs, but sounds much cooler. It implies that the rest of the carbs are "inactive" and that the carbs you are getting are "active," implying they're doing something good for you.
This discussion has been closed.