Scary Movies

Options

Replies

• Voncreepy2
    Voncreepy2 Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    I am looking for the ULTIMATE scary movie! I used to never watched scary movies until I met my boyfriend. Now I can stomach anything. Stuff like Saw or Hostile are more gory suspense; but not enough to scare me. The older movies tend to have more scare appeal.
    Any suggestions? Anything paranormal.

Watch the original Last House on the Left. I can't even watch it now.
  • LilynEdensmom
    LilynEdensmom Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    The original nightmare on elm street, I think I was around 8 when I first saw it and that movie gave me nightmares so its like my #1.
    The paranormal activity, mostly b/c if you really think about it how often do you wake up b/c a strange noise or you see something but you aren't really sure you see it, all the non special effects lol made it creepy.
    and the strangers was really creepy as well b/c that could happen
  • Behavior_Modification
    Behavior_Modification Posts: 24,482 Member
    Options
    Without giving this a bunch of thought, I know I had to turn off Thirteen Ghosts years ago when I tried watching it. As soon as the one guy got sliced by the glass walls, that was all I could take. I don't really enjoy those types of movies anyhow though.
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    I am looking for the ULTIMATE scary movie! I used to never watched scary movies until I met my boyfriend. Now I can stomach anything. Stuff like Saw or Hostile are more gory suspense; but not enough to scare me. The older movies tend to have more scare appeal.
    Any suggestions? Anything paranormal.

The Changeling! The 1980 George C Scott movie, not the Angelina Jolie movie from a few years ago. Not at all gory, but creepy as hell!
  • toots99
    Options
    Session 9 is another good one.
  • millerll
    millerll Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    Totally agree on The Changeling! Love that movie! Very creepy. Also agree with the Thing remake - great flick. The original Last House on the Left is very disturbing, and unsettled me for days. Make sure to see the Exorcist with the deleted scenes restored - the spiderwalk down the staircase will make the hair on the back of your neck stand up.

My favorite movie isn't really horror - more like sci-fi, but it scared the crap out of me when it first came out. Alien. Love, love, love the whole series. The second one - Aliens - was great, too, and featured the most kick-*kitten* female character I've ever seen in a movie. Vasquez - the female Marine - I'd kill for her biceps!
  • I_Got_This_23
    I_Got_This_23 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I loved The Grudge so much that I started getting into some of the Japanese horror flicks. Some of them were just plain weird, and LONG! So I gave up. I've been a horror movie nut since I was a kid.
    I love The Exorcist, but as a kid I only saw one version, and didn't know about the staircase scene. When I lost the VHS and bought it on DVD, and that staircase scene played, I jumped up, turned the TV off and turned the lights on! Scared the you-know-what out of me.
    I saw Paranormal Activity in the theater, and raved about it. Loved it! Lost a lot of sleep over that movie. Out of principle I'm refusing to watch the sequel.
    Stephen King's "The Shining" was great. The older movie (Jack Nicholson) strays pretty far from the book, but it's still a good story.
    I agree, The Strangers was excellent. I have it on DVD and will watch it until they actually get caught. Then it just disturbs me.
    I kinda like zombie movies, like Reurn of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead, 28 days Later. I ONLY like zombie movies if the zombies can move fast. I know that sounds weird, but you think of Night of the Living Dead... c'mon. You can outrun those suckers. Not scared of zombies that mosey.
    Oooh, American Werewolf in London. The subway scene always creeps me out.
  • I_Got_This_23
    Options
    House on Haunted Hill (the remake) really creeped me out when you could only see the ghosts through the goggles...you looked in the room, they aren't there, then look thru the goggles and they are all standing there looking at you....ugh. and the way those ghosts shook their heads really fast...it was just shiver-inducing.

The Shining....now THAT is a fantastic scary movie. I love Stephen King, and his books are often turned into sub-par movies, but they really did that one correctly. Twins still scare me...come play with us Danny......

I think you got house on haunted hill mixed up with thirteen ghosts. I have both the old and new versions of both movies though. have to admit I loved the old ones so much more. not scary just more entertaining because they were not all about the blood and gore and was more about the story.

I don't think I did, althoug the 13 Ghosts do have the same head-shake creepy thing. The one I'm thinking of is set in an old mental hospital, that can be locked up tight as if it's shielding from a nuclear blast. A long time ago, it was in lockdown mode and a fire burned up everyone inside. The kooky millionaire offers a bunch of people that if they stay the whole night they get a wad of cash. One by one, the people die off. The scene I remember takes place down in a basement-like setting, and the character glances into the room, sees nothing, then lifts up the goggles and sees a doctor and nurses performing some kind of horrible operation on a victim. The ghosts turn and look at our character and when she (I think it was a female character) lowers the goggles, you can't see the ghosts again. Am I mixing up movies? It's possible, but I think I have it right....

Yep, you have that one right, and I can see the scene you are speaking of vividly.... creepy......
  • I_Got_This_23
    Options
    The scene from House on Haunted Hill was with Bridgette (I think that's her name) Sampras, and she had a digital camera and was filming for her TV show. Then she saw the doctor through her screen of the camera. Then she turns around and sees that thing standing in the corner, then the film speeds up and the thing is all up in her face. I love scenes like that, when they speed the film up. I'll jump every time.
  • I_Got_This_23
    Options
    For those who can tolerate Asian horror, "Noroi" is a must see done ala Blair Witch / Paranormal Activity style, this movie scared the crap out of me. Lovely Bones was also very disturbing.

I loved Blair Witch and Paranormal Activity. Maybe I'll give Asian horror flicks another go-round and watch Noroi.
  • toots99
    Options
    Totally agree on The Changeling! Love that movie! Very creepy. Also agree with the Thing remake - great flick. The original Last House on the Left is very disturbing, and unsettled me for days. Make sure to see the Exorcist with the deleted scenes restored - the spiderwalk down the staircase will make the hair on the back of your neck stand up.

I liked the remake of The Last House On The Left...the main rape scene, ugh, that was brutally disturbing.

I went to see the Exorcist again in a one night only showing in a movie theater just about two weeks ago. It's still creepy.
  • alejandraisela
    Options
    Hello everyone,
    to name some of my fav's movies of all times :heart:
    Arachnophobia
    The Wicker Man (new one)
    The Blob
    Rosemary’s Baby
    Amityville Horror old and new
    Pet Sematary
    Nightmare on Elm Street (all)
    The Fly
    The Shining
    Dolls
    IT
  • JDMPWR
    JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    John Carpenter's, The Thing was the first scary movie I got to see in the theater and has stuck w/ me for years. I think I was a little to young to see it then.

Such a classic!!!!
  • toots99
    Options
    I'm watching a movie tonight called "Frozen". It came highly recomended have any of you seen it?
  • ♥Faerie♥
    ♥Faerie♥ Posts: 14,053 Member
    Options
    Nope, but let us know how it is, I am always up for a good scary movie this time of year!
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    For me it was The Exorcist. I watched it around 36 years ago and it scared me so badly that I've hated scary movies ever since. Can't watch them any more!
  • Voncreepy2
    Voncreepy2 Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    For me it was The Exorcist. I watched it around 36 years ago and it scared me so badly that I've hated scary movies ever since. Can't watch them any more!

OOOOH!!!! I saw that when i was really young about 8. (I begged my Mom to let me watch it) then slept at the foot of my parents bed. I was so scared!!!!
  • toots99
    Options
    Nope, but let us know how it is, I am always up for a good scary movie this time of year!

I watched Frozen. It was okay, nothing great.
  • msbanana
    msbanana Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    Of all the STUPID movies to have been freaked out by... Candyman. The scene when the bees came bubbling out of the public toilet... I couldn't sit on the can for weeks. OH and I honestly can't remember if its in the movie or the book but in Stephen King's IT the gym shower scene where there was blood out of the faucets and then the clown comes up from the drain... GAH! I seriously couldn't use a public shower for YEARS.

I do love the horror movies though... haven't seen a REALLY good one in a long time.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    I know just how you feel, MsBanana. Stephen King wrote a short story in which a hand comes up out of the toilet to grab you...every time I go to the bathroom in the middle of the night, that thought pops into my head....dammit Stephen! So creepy. Doesn't get me so bad in the daytime, but at 3am, it's a scary thought.