Weird phobias.

Options

Replies

• SaintGiff
    SaintGiff Posts: 3,679 Member
    Options
    I haaaate wind turbines. They're massive & powerful & creepy, & triple creepy because they're set up hundreds at a time. *shudder*

I had no idea that people were afraid of wind turbines. This pic probably combines all the phobias for some people. Taken last year, it is two engineers who were working to repair a turbine when it caught fire. The fire, unfortunately, was between them and their only way off the turbine. They had absolutely no way out. They knew they were going to die, so they hugged and waited for the inevitable...

yLzXIhl.jpg
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Popsicle sticks rubbing against the cutting edge of teeth. Just thinking about it makes me bite my tongue. /shivers
  • Noogynoogs
    Noogynoogs Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    Walking through doorways
  • dinglekerri
    Options
    I run from cotton balls. I hate those tiny F'ers. It's giving me heeby jeebies just writing about it. AHHHH! :devil:
  • RavenhairedWoman
    RavenhairedWoman Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I can usually suck it up and get past anything if I need to. However, here are a few things that I have irrational fears about.

I use to have an irrational fear of walking by the street sewer drains like these.
    StormDrain.embed.jpg
    I was scared that I would slip, my leg would go in the thing and break or that something would jump out at me from one of them. Pretty sure that fear developed when I had to walk by three of them on the way to my bus stop and there was no sidewalk to walk on. I'm cool with them now but for years I wouldn't go near them at all.

I am also not very fond of walking on these things.
    nyc_2397.jpg
    I always feel like the thing is going to break and cause me to fall into the pit of dooooooooom.

These again are things that I don't really like and have irrational fears about, but I'll face them bravely if need be. :laugh:
  • lizzyclatworthy
    lizzyclatworthy Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Pregnancy, pregnant women, childbirth and new born babies (it's called tokophobia and it's a real thing)
  • SaintGiff
    SaintGiff Posts: 3,679 Member
    Options
    I have a fear of dropping either my keys or phone and having it fall through those and be gone forever. Like I literally have a death grip on my stuff as I walk over them.
  • NH_Norma
    NH_Norma Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I am not going to quote all of the things you are saying that I also fear but let me say this. I'm basically a walking bundle of fear and should probably qualify for disability benefits. How I get through life is starting to become an amazement. :huh:
  • RavenhairedWoman
    RavenhairedWoman Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah, I am also prone to feeling like this it going to happen to me every time I get on a treadmill. This is why I never break PRs on the treadmill..

harrison-treadmill-fail.gif

Edited to add this adorable gif for those that have a blood phobia.. (^_^)

pittbull-2.gif?w=1000
  • Owl_Green
    Owl_Green Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I have a fear of dropping either my keys or phone and having it fall through those and be gone forever. Like I literally have a death grip on my stuff as I walk over them.

This. Especially if I'm far from home.
  • Trueray
    Trueray Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    An ants nest .
  • wyattj99
    wyattj99 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Driving over a bridge while I was driving, being a passenger wasn't so bad but I had to learn to get over that little fear if I wanted a better paying job.
  • whitneysin
    whitneysin Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Plants creep me out a little bit. Just knowing that they're alive.
  • ShreddingIt_84
    Options
    I wont sleep with my hands on my chest like they put dead ppl! :noway:
    It freaks the crap out of me, if i do it I catch it right away.

They told me i will die in my sleep!! :cry:
  • Manic5781
    Manic5781 Posts: 1,491
    Options
    Clowns
  • stormbornkraken
    stormbornkraken Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Fiberglass or Insulation, the big pink bags at Home Depot give me real nightmares, I get itchy and scratch until I bleed.

Then the more common driving on the highway trapped between big rigs. I try to avoid it but if I get stuck or sandwiched on the road I turn into a nervous wreck.

:sad:
  • coolraul07
    coolraul07 Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    Rollercoasters and other "extreme" rides :huh: , since I was old enough to ride them. :indifferent: Completely irrational, no anecdote or explanation. Was extremely ashamed, especially when going on field trips. In 7th grade, I tried to get on a floorless coaster with a group of classmates. Waited 90 min got within arm's reach of the front of the line and had a panic attack; ran like I was fleeing Godzilla or something. :sick: :sad:
    A couple years ago I heard that Dwayne Johnson (aka "The Rock") had the same phobia. Being roughly the same height and age made me feel better. Since then I've made great progress and I last year I rode a stand-up roller coaster for the first time. I ride it every trip now. I'm slowly working my way up the scary ladder. This year I plan to ride at least 1 new coaster and a drop tower ride.
  • OcotilloFire
    OcotilloFire Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    A long standing phobia of mine has been any kind of white sauce. I think that stems from my mother making creamed chicken once a week when I was growing up. I'm sure I bit into some chicken weirdness that I surely could have avoided if I could see through the sauce. That turned into another phobia - chicken prepared by anyone else but me.

I recently developed a phobia of single stall restroom (like when you walk in the room and there is the toilet and the sink ) I work at a school and it was the last day of work before Thanksgiving break. I used the men's bathroom because the female's was occupied (two men work on our campus, so this restroom is rarely used). My students were still at lunch - I went to unlock the door and the lock was jammed! I was in there for 20 minutes, having a full on panic attack, before I could get service on my phone! Now, if I ever have to use the restroom in a public place, I check the lock at least twice before closing the door.
  • JazmineYoli
    JazmineYoli Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    Flippin creaps me out

gr-wacky-waver-man.jpg
  • Manic5781
    Manic5781 Posts: 1,491
    Options
    Flippin creaps me out

gr-wacky-waver-man.jpg

Whacky waving inflatable flailing arm tube men. :-) they are kinda creepy.

Being mugged by a guy in a full super hero costume.