Weird phobias.

Options

Replies

• Sbrn_
    Sbrn_ Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Any meat or fish that's been boiled. Even thinking about it makes me queasy. I just instantly visualize a bloated corpse floating in water, (such lovely imagery, I know).
  • d3mon4ngel
    d3mon4ngel Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Rollercoasters and other "extreme" rides :huh: , since I was old enough to ride them. :indifferent: Completely irrational, no anecdote or explanation. Was extremely ashamed, especially when going on field trips. In 7th grade, I tried to get on a floorless coaster with a group of classmates. Waited 90 min got within arm's reach of the front of the line and had a panic attack; ran like I was fleeing Godzilla or something. :sick: :sad:
    A couple years ago I heard that Dwayne Johnson (aka "The Rock") had the same phobia. Being roughly the same height and age made me feel better. Since then I've made great progress and I last year I rode a stand-up roller coaster for the first time. I ride it every trip now. I'm slowly working my way up the scary ladder. This year I plan to ride at least 1 new coaster and a drop tower ride.

I have a phobia of rollercoasters, but it extends to most other theme park rides too. I was on a log flume type when I was about 15, and I actually panicked so much that I jumped off it and ran away just before it went up to the last big drop! :laugh: And I had a panic attack and nearly fainted while trying to join the queue to Nemesis at Alton Towers when I had a "face my fear" attempt :embarassed: I find rollercoasters really fascinating to watch going round though for some reason.

I have a very real phobia of wasps, bees, and most flying buzzing insects (just in case they might be a wasp!). I can't even look at pictures of them without feeling sick, wasps especially. Even just thinking about them while writing this is making me feel queasy :ohwell: I have no idea where it came from - I can't even say it's because I've been stung by one.
  • litsy3
    litsy3 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    I am scared of bananas.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Infants/small babies and domestic cats! Both of those things give me the heebie jeebies!
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Mascots....
    like the characters at disney world, or sporting events, but especially the easter bunny. I run the other way.

Oh yes... me too! I should have said babies, domestic cats and mascots! You should see me at sporting events! haha
  • mxmkenney
    mxmkenney Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Those huge wind turbines on the side of the highway

Me too! And those big airplane hangers and smokestacks... shudder. I can't even look at them from far away without getting anxious. No explanation either.
  • Noogynoogs
    Noogynoogs Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    A fear of smiling
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,585 Member
    Options
    tall long bridges over water

the mothman prophecy and cloverfeild made it even worse for me too
  • rowlandsw
    rowlandsw Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    Bridges, not just ones high off the ground but any in general bother me. I got this weird thing lately where when i think about getting older i kinda get anxiety issues too.
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Pregnancy and crumpets. :indifferent:
  • blytheandbonnie
    blytheandbonnie Posts: 3,275 Member
    Options
    Fielding a grounder. I got smacked in the face once while trying to scoop up a ground ball. The ball hit a rock and bounced. It took a LOT of work to get in the way of that ball again.
  • Alexadance
    Options
    moths.....:sick:
  • oneoddsock
    oneoddsock Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Not really phobias, but the following make me deeply uneasy:

1) Chewing gum - especially watching people chew it, but I avoid touching or looking at packets of it. The smell of it also makes me want to puke.
    2) Mice & rats - have had both of them in houses that I've previously lived in and I was in terror of waking up to find them running around in my bed or on my face or in my underwear drawer or... anywhere!
    2) Getting on and off escalators - I was once on an escalator, approaching the bottom, and something broke and the part at the bottom where the step disappears sprang up and smashed one of the escalator steps. I think I would have lost one or both of my feet if I'd been two or three steps further forwards. I tend to take a flying leap off escalators now!
    4) Treadmills, for precisely the reason shown in the gif earlier! My running happens solely outside.
    5) The sound of other people brushing their teeth.

I'm going to stop now because I sound crazy, actually, and most of these things are completely irrational.
  • Onedayslimmfp
    Onedayslimmfp Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Potato peelings, they are the devil! Along with cold, wet teabags, yeuch!!!
  • Cudleigh
    Cudleigh Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Dolls. Dolls creep me out more than anything else. Nope.
  • mercina22
    mercina22 Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    People carrying umbrellas. I'm afraid I'll get my eye poked out. And driving through tunnels if I can't see through to the other end especially if the tunnel is under water.
  • kwest_4_fitness
    kwest_4_fitness Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    Driving over long expansive bridges. And emus. Emus are some freaky looking birds.
  • Sinisterly
    Sinisterly Posts: 10,913 Member
    Options
    I am scared of bananas.
    Then I hope you never encounter a guy that...
  • tapirfrog
    tapirfrog Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    Holes and bumpy textures. Like honeycomb (yeek), or cauliflower (aaaaugh) or my worst nightmare ever: The Surignam Toad. The mother toad pushes her fertilized eggs into the skin of her back, which becomes (urk) spongy to accept them and then the babies HATCH OUT OF THE HOLES SHE MADE and ever since I saw a film of that I am damaged goods.
  • Sinisterly
    Sinisterly Posts: 10,913 Member
    Options
    Holes and bumpy textures. Like honeycomb (yeek), or cauliflower (aaaaugh) or my worst nightmare ever: The Surignam Toad. The mother toad pushes her fertilized eggs into the skin of her back, which becomes (urk) spongy to accept them and then the babies HATCH OUT OF THE HOLES SHE MADE and ever since I saw a film of that I am damaged goods.
    -gag- I did not need to read that...

You're very good at being descriptive o.o
    -shuddddderrrr-