Why do people seem to bash "healthy"eating?

Options

Replies

• Sun_Wukong
    Sun_Wukong Posts: 131
    Options
    I don't think I've ever eaten crap.
    I am pretty sure neither have I, but now I have to go over my food diary to be sure. :wink:
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    LoupGarouTFTs Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    In answer to the op's question:

Some people on MFP who bash perceived (by them by the way) healthier choices of eating are a bit narrow minded and believe that the only way of losing weight is the way that worked for them.

Also with some members their focus is on weight loss (or gain/maintenance) and not particularly that focused on overall health IMO.

I'm afraid it will never change, a lot of people like to give advice as opposed to help people have weight loss success in their own way.

Or . . . maybe . . . we just don't like people putting us in their restrictive little boxes and calling the food we eat "crap."

Also, I never understood the whole "trigger food" idea. Isn't a "trigger" food simply one you haven't learned to moderate yet? Sure, it can "go," but what happens when you're exposed to it in the real world when people don't know (or care) that it "triggers" you?
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    a lot of people like to give advice as opposed to help people have weight loss success in their own way.

Giving advice is helping, therefore what is your point? No one is forcing them to take said advice.

When I ask a question, I am more satisfied getting a range of answers and not everyone patting me on the back and saying, "Nope, looks good.". Especially if that happens to be a way that is dangerous, unsustainable, etc

Welcome to the real world, where people of varied opinion, background congregate. If you didn't want that, perhaps a personal diary is better place for said musings.
  • Sun_Wukong
    Options

Why is pizza crap? If you're going to quote my post, you should take the time to read it. I'd appreciate it immensely, thanks. Pizza is crap. It's declicious, carb-y, awesome crap. And when the sugar rush runs off and leaves an hour after eating it and I'm still starving but now several hundred calories later, that's decidedly not good.

But why is it "crap?"(There are those pants again.) You toss the word around but we never get an operational definition. Just saying that you're still hungry after consuming the calories doesn't make it "crap." It simply makes the pizza "unsatisfying." Would you care to elaborate?
    Obviously they order the pewp pizza from Scat's Pizza palace. :tongue:
  • jenmom2myboys
    jenmom2myboys Posts: 311 Member
    Options

Some people on MFP who bash perceived (by them by the way) healthier choices of eating are a bit narrow minded and believe that the only way of losing weight is the way that worked for them.

Also with some members their focus is on weight loss (or gain/maintenance) and not particularly that focused on overall health IMO.

I'm afraid it will never change, a lot of people like to give advice as opposed to help people have weight loss success in their own way.

Yes!
  • SymphonynSonata
    SymphonynSonata Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I think, generally, for people with 50+ pounds to lose it can be extremely daunting to come across posts that say 'only 5 ingredients per box' or other obsessively-healthy diet plans. IMO, it gives the impression that the only way to lose weight is by eating celery and carrot sticks (think about it, when you were new and had no idea about how to lose weight, this could easily become a misconception). For that reason, I think that people preach moderation a lot harder, and advocate unhealthy foods under the calorie in, calorie out mantra. It makes people with a long way to go have some hope; they can still eat all of their favorite snacks that they over-indulged in. I mean, telling someone who goes through a drive through everyday and has months of weight loss to go through that they have to eat clean? Very discouraging and probably not going to happen for any prolonged amount of time. It's too extreme to switch to after eating a diet of mostly junk, or just a basic American diet (but in larger quantities). More chances of that person eating their reduced calories in junk, losing a few pounds, getting very encouraged and THEN incorporating healthy choices into the mix. I really don't think the people that post this stuff are of the belief that eating 1,500 calories (or w/e) per day of ice cream daily (and other 'junk' foods) is an okay or healthy thing to do for your body in the long term. I just know that if I had read that I need to eat clean when I first started my weight loss, it probably wouldn't have ever stuck. I would hate to write that people must eat that way to lose weight and have someone read that, take it to heart, and feel helpless to lose weight. Much easier to read 'eat 1,500 calories, this can include poptarts, soda, whatever you want, as long as it's under or at 1,500 calories!" If they're like me, they'll eat their calories in all junk and be starving from the lack of nutritional value, and start throwing some vegetables at it anyway for bulk. :P
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    People tend to bash things that they don't fully understand. You can lose weight eating only donuts. But is that the best way? It is if it works for you. I happen to put more value in how food makes me feel, which also happens to be food that makes me healthier and leaner. Eating processed food doesn't work for most people. You can try to defend it. Yes, it may work for some, but most will overeat when eating processed food. If what you're doing isn't working, try something else. Wasting energy defending one path isn't helping anyone else.
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    Options
    I think, generally, for people with 50+ pounds to lose it can be extremely daunting to come across posts that say 'only 5 ingredients per box' or other obsessively-healthy diet plans. IMO, it gives the impression that the only way to lose weight is by eating celery and carrot sticks (think about it, when you were new and had no idea about how to lose weight, this could easily become a misconception). For that reason, I think that people preach moderation a lot harder, and advocate unhealthy foods under the calorie in, calorie out mantra. It makes people with a long way to go have some hope; they can still eat all of their favorite snacks that they over-indulged in. I mean, telling someone who goes through a drive through everyday and has months of weight loss to go through that they have to eat clean? Very discouraging and probably not going to happen for any prolonged amount of time. It's too extreme to switch to after eating a diet of mostly junk, or just a basic American diet (but in larger quantities). More chances of that person eating their reduced calories in junk, losing a few pounds, getting very encouraged and THEN incorporating healthy choices into the mix. I really don't think the people that post this stuff are of the belief that eating 1,500 calories (or w/e) per day of ice cream daily (and other 'junk' foods) is an okay or healthy thing to do for your body in the long term. I just know that if I had read that I need to eat clean when I first started my weight loss, it probably wouldn't have ever stuck. I would hate to write that people must eat that way to lose weight and have someone read that, take it to heart, and feel helpless to lose weight. Much easier to read 'eat 1,500 calories, this can include poptarts, soda, whatever you want, as long as it's under or at 1,500 calories!"

So is food "junk" because it tastes good? Or is it "junk" because you don't like it?
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options

And maybe some of us give our suggestions based on the mistakes we've already made so that sparing them from falling into the same issues.

Most of us have been on diets before, but to truly make a change you need to learn. Can't believe I'm going to say this but I've even learned 1 or 2 things from you... mostly not what to do, but without the mistakes and different experiences in dealing with them how do you advance more.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options

Or . . . maybe . . . we just don't like people putting us in their restrictive little boxes and calling the food we eat "crap."

Also, I never understood the whole "trigger food" idea. Isn't a "trigger" food simply one you haven't learned to moderate yet? Sure, it can "go," but what happens when you're exposed to it in the real world when people don't know (or care) that it "triggers" you?

Who's calling your food crap.

Junk good has it's place for most people (in moderation obviously)!
  • SymphonynSonata
    Options
    I think, generally, for people with 50+ pounds to lose it can be extremely daunting to come across posts that say 'only 5 ingredients per box' or other obsessively-healthy diet plans. IMO, it gives the impression that the only way to lose weight is by eating celery and carrot sticks (think about it, when you were new and had no idea about how to lose weight, this could easily become a misconception). For that reason, I think that people preach moderation a lot harder, and advocate unhealthy foods under the calorie in, calorie out mantra. It makes people with a long way to go have some hope; they can still eat all of their favorite snacks that they over-indulged in. I mean, telling someone who goes through a drive through everyday and has months of weight loss to go through that they have to eat clean? Very discouraging and probably not going to happen for any prolonged amount of time. It's too extreme to switch to after eating a diet of mostly junk, or just a basic American diet (but in larger quantities). More chances of that person eating their reduced calories in junk, losing a few pounds, getting very encouraged and THEN incorporating healthy choices into the mix. I really don't think the people that post this stuff are of the belief that eating 1,500 calories (or w/e) per day of ice cream daily (and other 'junk' foods) is an okay or healthy thing to do for your body in the long term. I just know that if I had read that I need to eat clean when I first started my weight loss, it probably wouldn't have ever stuck. I would hate to write that people must eat that way to lose weight and have someone read that, take it to heart, and feel helpless to lose weight. Much easier to read 'eat 1,500 calories, this can include poptarts, soda, whatever you want, as long as it's under or at 1,500 calories!"

So is food "junk" because it tastes good? Or is it "junk" because you don't like it?

I think that you completely misunderstood the tone and meaning of my post. Where did I give the indication that I don't like junk food? Where did I give the indication that stereotypically healthy foods taste bad? I'm calling it junk for the sake of fluidity and easy understanding.
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    Options

Who's calling your food crap.

Junk good has it's place for most people (in moderation obviously)!

Mr. Judgey-pants Pizza Guy, for one. ;) And there you go . . . "junk," "crap," it's all the same. Just more ways of injecting moral superiority into eating.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,618 Member
    Options
    Most people correlate eating "healthy" as dropping out any processed or junk food. There really isn't any "bad" food. There's food that's not nutrient dense, but calorie dense. For most trying to lose weight, the first shift they try to do is abstain from eating anything processed. Not a bad idea, but many take it to the extreme which is why failure rate is high.
    If one is getting the micronutrients they need, and eating the correct ratio of macronutrients for themselves and staying within calorie limits, whether they got it from whole or processed foods really shouldn't matter.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options

And maybe some of us give our suggestions based on the mistakes we've already made so that sparing them from falling into the same issues.

Most of us have been on diets before, but to truly make a change you need to learn. Can't believe I'm going to say this but I've even learned 1 or 2 things from you... mostly not what to do, but without the mistakes and different experiences in dealing with them how do you advance more.

Sadly some people are of the mindset that if something doesn't work for them then it must be fact that it will not work for the other 7 billion people on this planet

The more enlighten members will pass on their experiences of what worked for them and what didn't bit don't pass it off as gospel that it will be the same for everyone.

I've made the mistakes of calorie counting and continuing to eat all the junk food in moderation and it didn't work for me - I know though that it will work for others - which is why I don't jump onto IIFYM threads trying to recruit people to LCHF.
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    Options
    I think that you completely misunderstood the tone and meaning of my post. Where did I give the indication that I don't like junk food? Where did I give the indication that stereotypically healthy foods taste bad? I'm calling it junk for the sake of fluidity and easy understanding.

Sure, because there's no stigma attached to the word "junk" at all. It's just for fluidity's sake . . . *cough*
  • SymphonynSonata
    Options

Sure, because there's no stigma attached to the word "junk" at all. It's just for fluidity's sake . . . *cough*

Uh, okay, so what politically correct word would you like us to use in its place? Food lacking sufficient nutritional value to make it a prime choice, but it tastes really really good so you can still eat it as long as its in moderation? Seems like a mouthful.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options

You're one step away from becoming a serious food shamer. Watch it, pal.
  • Sun_Wukong
    Options
    s1FRf6n.jpg
  • SymphonynSonata
    Options

You're one step away from becoming a serious food shamer. Watch it, pal.

Are you serious? Am I really missing something? Wow, I was just trying to be helpful. :frown: Sorry for offending. I really wasn't trying to, I was just trying to say that telling someone they can still eat their favorite and not entirely the best choice as far as nutrition goes foods and lose weight is really encouraging!