Subway!!!

Options

Replies

• Wonderob
    Wonderob Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Now, just to close the topic, if a cookie at 220 calories is supposedly "not healthy" how is it any "healthier" to go at subway where any piece of bread you eat has an average of 220 calories (for 6")?!?

You want to 'close the topic' by asking a loaded question? Nice try!

You don't need a definition of 'healthy', we all know generally what is good for you and what isn't. There are of course grey areas that a strict definition wouldn't cover

You and I both know that certain foods contain lots of nutritional benefits, and certain foods contain very little, if any.

You can break it down into individual components if you want; however there is more nutritional benefit in a 6 inch lean chicken sandwich with salad, than in 2 chocolate chip cookies

I'm aware that this discussion will go round and round in circles as I would imagine your answers will be well practiced - you cant hold an opinion such as yours without courting some controversy on here

I'm also guessing that you are completely clued up with regard to health and nutrition so everything is ok as far as your health goes; however I can't see how it helps others on here to deny that there is even a concept of healthy or non-healthy foods
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    The OP asked for healthy Subway ideas, and whether or not if fits in with your health and weight goals, Subway cookies are not a healthy foodstuff

I understand the point you are making that nothing is off limits if it fits into your daily requirements; and I would guess that you have this discussion a lot; but come on, in all honesty, we both know that cookies are not very healthy

If I asked for a healthy fruit snack, I wouldn't expect to see the suggestion of an apple pie with double chocolate ice cream and loads of custard, despite the fact that it could well fit into my healthy eating plan every now and again if so desired
    And I know that it is good for my body to get protein, carbs and fat. Saturated fat helps promote testosterone levels, which is ideal.
    It doesn't have the same range of micro nutrients as the salad I might have in the sandwich, but then if I've already got enough of those, it's not going to do me any good to have more, while the contents of the cookie may well fit my needs.

As ever, I'd suggest classifying foods as 'healthy' and 'unhealthy' is in it's self 'unhealthy'.
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Now, just to close the topic, if a cookie at 220 calories is supposedly "not healthy" how is it any "healthier" to go at subway where any piece of bread you eat has an average of 220 calories (for 6")?!?

You don't need a definition of 'healthy', we all know generally what is good for you and what isn't. There are of course grey areas that a strict definition wouldn't cover

You and I both know that certain foods contain lots of nutritional benefits, and certain foods contain very little, if any.

You can break it down into individual components if you want; however there is more nutritional benefit in a 6 inch lean chicken sandwich with salad, than in 2 chocolate chip cookies

I'm aware that this discussion will go round and round in circles as I would imagine your answers will be well practiced - you cant hold an opinion such as yours without courting some controversy on here

I'm also guessing that you are completely clued up with regard to health and nutrition so everything is ok as far as your health goes; however I can't see how it helps others on here to deny that there is even a concept of healthy or non-healthy foods

What are the nutritional benefits of bread compared to cookies? If you eat the sandwich filling without bread, it's certainly a healthier meal, but you could get a salad and cookies and be just as "healthy " as a sandwich.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,082 Member
    Options
    And deffinatly don't have the cookies hahaha

why not?

220 calories each and you need to have two, one just isn't enough. And you get 3 for the price of 2 so there's 660 calories before you know it!

still not answering my question... why not?

You're right 'why not'
    In fact, why not have that McDonalds for lunch that I wanted, or the chocolates I was going to eat whilst watching the film. And the pizza, and fries, and cheese and fizzy drinks and hotdogs..

Straw man argument.

Nobody is suggesting having all of these things all at once.
    But, sure, nothing wrong with any of them individually - in moderation as with anything else, including a subway cookie.
  • Wonderob
    Options

What are the nutritional benefits of bread compared to cookies? If you eat the sandwich filling without bread, it's certainly a healthier meal, but you could get a salad and cookies and be just as "healthy " as a sandwich.

Yes but we are talking about the nutritional benefits of a chicken sandwich over a cookie - not bread over a cookie. Nobody goes into a Subway and orders the sandwich filling and a cookie

This is just argument for argument sake now. The OP asked for healthy Sandwich ideas and we are seeing suggestions for salad,and cookies???
  • paperpudding
    Options
    "Yes but we are talking about the nutritional benefits of a chicken sandwich over a cookie - not bread over a cookie. Nobody goes into a Subway and orders the sandwich filling and a cookie "

Yes they do.

Of course they don't call it sandwich filling without the bread, they call it salad.
    You can buy salad bowls at subway.
  • surfinbird_1981
    surfinbird_1981 Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    I'd probably avoid Subway, make your own perhaps? I find that (personal opinion of course) Subway products taste very bland.
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options

Awww, but they are the best :smile:
  • Wonderob
    Options

why not?

220 calories each and you need to have two, one just isn't enough. And you get 3 for the price of 2 so there's 660 calories before you know it!

You're right 'why not'
    In fact, why not have that McDonalds for lunch that I wanted, or the chocolates I was going to eat whilst watching the film. And the pizza, and fries, and cheese and fizzy drinks and hotdogs..

Straw man argument.

But, sure, nothing wrong with any of them individually - in moderation as with anything else, including a subway cookie.

Of course there's nothing wrong with these things in moderation, but you're missing the whole point. The OP has asked for healthy sandwich ideas - what is wrong with a cookie? It's not a healthy sandwich idea!

If I asked for healthy McDonalds ideas, you would not say "Have the Chicken Wrap........ oh and the Big Mac with supersized fries as there's nothing wrong with that in moderation"!
  • paperpudding
    Options

why not?

You're right 'why not'

Straw man argument.

Of course there's nothing wrong with these things in moderation, but you're missing the whole point. The OP has asked for healthy sandwich ideas - what is wrong with a cookie? It's not a healthy sandwich idea!

If I asked for healthy McDonalds ideas, you would not say "Have the Chicken Wrap........ oh and the Big Mac with supersized fries as there's nothing wrong with that in moderation"!

Yes I know OP asked for sandwich ideas.
    Was responding to the 'and definitely don't have the cookie' post

OP could have a sandwich and a cookie if she wants to - it's not a definite No.
  • Wonderob
    Options

why not?

You're right 'why not'

Straw man argument.

Of course she could
    It's a definite no if she wants it to be healthy though - a sandwich and a cookie is not a healthy meal
    You can debate what the definition of healthy is if you want, but ultimately a foodstuff with virtually no nutritional benefit, hardly any protein, hardly any fibre, 5g of saturated fat, 18g of processed sugar, crammed with preservatives isn't healthy
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options

why not?

You're right 'why not'

Straw man argument.

Of course she could
    It's a definite no if she wants it to be healthy though - a sandwich and a cookie is not a healthy meal
    You can debate what the definition of healthy is if you want, but ultimately a foodstuff with virtually no nutritional benefit, hardly any protein, hardly any fibre, 5g of saturated fat, 18g of processed sugar, crammed with preservatives isn't healthy

The lack of nutritional benefits of the cookies doesn't negate the benefits of the sandwich.
  • BIW2012
    BIW2012 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I get wraps or 6 inch subs quite often. I usually get beef, tuna or chicken with old English cheese, all the veggies and no dressing. Comes in around 320-350 calories. I used to get ham but I'm only eating cage-free pork nowadays.

Would prefer to get no meat in my subs and add my own as their meats are processed, full of nitrates and high in sodium.

Look at the info on their website :)
  • GreenIceFloes
    GreenIceFloes Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    One 200 gram 6" turkey sub, multi-grain bread, all veggies, mustard, no cheese = approx. 300 calories (at least in the Indian Subways; I suppose the portion sizes may differ in other parts of the world. Or not.)
  • Hannah_Hopes
    Hannah_Hopes Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    This perhaps isn't the healthiest but it's all I ever order :ohwell:
    Italian cheese& herbs, tuna, toasted, onion, gherkins, cucumber, lettuce with sweet onion sauce.
    :sad: now I want subway
  • paperpudding
    Options

why not?

You're right 'why not'

Straw man argument.

Of course she could

I disagree.
    I'm not claiming subway cookies are particularly healthy but yes OP can be healthy and have a cookie.
  • murdledoe
    murdledoe Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    There has been a couple of times where my husband and I had a lot of running to do and we were hungry, but it was to late to fix dinner. We ended up at Subway because if your going to eat a fast food I have found it is 'healthier' then going to the other fast foods. At least I could control the fats and calories there. They have a list of the low fat items that you can order and they also have a list of items that they say you should not order if you are watching fats. This makes it pretty easy to order.
  • Wonderob
    Options

I disagree.
    I'm not claiming subway cookies are particularly healthy but yes OP can be healthy and have a cookie.

That's not in question

But like I said, that's not the point of this thread

"What are some good HEALTHY sandwich ideas?"
    Subtext: "I'm being careful what I eat so would like to know some sandwiches that have nutritional benefits and aren't considered as unhealthy"

"The chicken or turkey is good, but avoid the cookies"
    Subtext "There are some sandwiches that are considered quite healthy, but avoid the cookies as they contain a lot of refined sugar, saturated fat, and are of little nutritional benefit"

I can't possibly see any benefit to the OP by saying that she can have a sandwich and a cookie. But if you think there is then fine, I will argue no more.

I will however avoid posting the question I was wondering about as to what are good healthy breakfast ideas.
    Muesli and a Snickers bar is ok surely? I can be healthy and have a Snickers bar after all
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options

why not?

You're right 'why not'

Straw man argument.

Of course she could
    OP is he.
  • Wonderob
    Options
    OP is he.

Apologies, not sure why I assumed a 'she'