Subway!!!

Options

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Seriously, why does EVERYTHING have to turn into a 'as long as it fits your macros it's healthy' discussion. Or is everyone really so obtuse that they don't understand what the OP asked?

Ok rant over.

OP, you can go to the subway website and 'customize' your food to get the calorie count.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    Seriously, why does EVERYTHING have to turn into a 'as long as it fits your macros it's healthy' discussion. Or is everyone really so obtuse that they don't understand what the OP asked?

Ok rant over.

OP, you can go to the subway website and 'customize' your food to get the calorie count.

So we are supposed to guess what silly definition of "healthy" the OP was thinking at the time? The only thing that I think is applicable to the question is the fact that there is some evidence that processed/preserved meats (not food) are not particularly healthy, hence choosing the fresh meats would be the best.
  • mfp2014mfp
    mfp2014mfp Posts: 689 Member
    Options

Ok rant over.

Agreed, 'as long as it fits your macros it's healthy' has been beaten to death and kills so many threads its a wonder people keep asking.
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options

Ok rant over.

If people didn't demonize harmless foods and tell OP not to eat something or else it isn't healthy, we wouldn't have to bring it up.
  • Wonderob
    Wonderob Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options

Ok rant over.

So we are supposed to guess what silly definition of "healthy" the OP was thinking at the time? The only thing that I think is applicable to the question is the fact that there is some evidence that processed/preserved meats (not food) are not particularly healthy, hence choosing the fresh meats would be the best.

Yes - everybody can make a damned good guess as to what the OP means by healthy. It's just about what most people consider to be healthy. You know this as well but are choosing to ignore it.

Whilst your definition of healthy may be different, nearly everyone else's will be similar - and that includes Subway who give an indication of what they consider to be 'healthy' on their menus - as signified by the American Heart Certification symbol which meets their criteria for healthy meals
  • SunofaBeach14
    Options

Ok rant over.

Agreed, 'as long as it fits your macros it's healthy' has been beaten to death and kills so many threads its a wonder people keep asking.

Classifying foods as "healthy" or "unhealthy" is a rather simplistic approach and while it seems to be commonly used by those who are struggling to change their lives, you will see that many of us who have been successful stopped doing that. Even the elementary schools have taken to teaching kids about "sometimes foods" and "all the time foods." Here's one hint as to why focusing on macros works so well, if you're getting enough fiber in your diet and you're not taking a supplement, then you're eating your whole grains, fruits, and veggies.

Long story short, i you don't like hearing from us, too bad, but best of luck on your "journey" . . .
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    I have to keep my sodium <2000 mg/day, so when I want Subway, this is what I get:

6" veggie on white, no cheese and no condiment
    - the cheese is not bod for sodium and the condiments are okay if they would not put half a bottle on the sub.

I bring it home and load up on the low sodium Swiss cheese and salad dressing (weighed on my food scale TYVM :wink:). I add the chips/crackers and whatever dessert I feel like.
  • SunofaBeach14
    Options

Ok rant over.

Yes - everybody can make a damned good guess as to what the OP means by healthy. It's just about what most people consider to be healthy. You know this as well but are choosing to ignore it.

Whilst your definition of healthy may be different, nearly everyone else's will be similar - and that includes Subway who give an indication of what they consider to be 'healthy' on their menus - as signified by the American Heart Certification symbol which meets their criteria for healthy meals

I couldn't care less about what "most people" consider to be healthy. I care about results, hence why I like IIFYM.

If I'm eating a 3000 plus calorie a day diet, I couldn't give two ****s about the low calorie approach pushed by the American Heart Association's heart symbol. I think it's very cute for the rest of you though who can't be bothered to actually think about your diet. :flowerforyou: https://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/GettingHealthy/NutritionCenter/HeartSmartShopping/Heart-Check-Food-Certification-Program_UCM_300133_Article.jsp
  • Wonderob
    Options

Ok rant over.

So you speak of some evidence that processed/preserved meats are not particularly healthy - I wonder what silly definition of "healthy" you or the researchers were thinking at the time?
  • Wonderob
    Options

Ok rant over.

I couldn't care less about what "most people" consider to be healthy. I care about results, hence why I like IIFYM.

If I'm eating a 3000 plus calorie a day diet, I couldn't give two ****s about the low calorie approach pushed by the American Heart Association's heart symbol. I think it's very cute for the rest of you though who can't be bothered to actually think about your diet. :flowerforyou: https://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/GettingHealthy/NutritionCenter/HeartSmartShopping/Heart-Check-Food-Certification-Program_UCM_300133_Article.jsp

The OP is clearly thinking about his diet, hence the request for healthy ideas

Why did you even respond if your only input is to say he can basically eat what he wants and don't listen to the advice of those trying to promote healthy eating?

The IIFYM approach still requires you to make the right choices when it comes to food - would it not have been more sensible advice to tell him which Subway meals will make it easier for him to meet his Macros? Cookies, processed meats, sugary drinks, fatty snacks, high fat sauces, high sodium breads, high fat cheeses - all available at Subway - all ok to eat - all will make IIFYM that much harder to achieve

Why would you chose to go down the "How cute for the rest of you" patronising route? To somehow underline your perceived superiority?
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,082 Member
    Options
    I have to keep my sodium <2000 mg/day, so when I want Subway, this is what I get:

- the cheese is not bod for sodium and the condiments are okay if they would not put half a bottle on the sub.

I bring it home and load up on the low sodium Swiss cheese and salad dressing (weighed on my food scale TYVM :wink:). I add the chips/crackers and whatever dessert I feel like.

Could you not just ask them to put on a tiny bit of sauce or mayo?
    I do this all the time - as yes, I have noticed they are very heavy handed otherwise.
  • SunofaBeach14
    Options

Ok rant over.

Why did you even respond if your only input is to say he can basically eat what he wants and don't listen to the advice of those trying to promote healthy eating?

If that's what you got from my several posts in this thread then I think you probably are best served by the simplistic approach. It's okay, you're not alone . . .
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options

Could you not just ask them to put on a tiny bit of sauce or mayo?
    I do this all the time - as yes, I have noticed they are very heavy handed otherwise.

I could, but the dressing I have at home is lower in sodium than what they've got. Man, I miss pickles.
  • abcreed
    abcreed Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I know it's not super convenient if you're on the run, standing in subway, etc, but their website will let you customize a sandwich -- you can pick your bread, meat, cheese (if desired), veggies & sauces and it will calculate for you the calories, fat content, carbs, etc.

If I'm craving subway, I'll play around on their website for a few mins and figure out exactly what I want and exactly how many calories it is. It's much easier for me to weigh my options when I can see plainly the exact count, rather than trying to add it in my head while in line (probably because I'm terrible at math and it gives me anxiety trying to add on the spot, haha)
  • Wonderob
    Options

Ok rant over.

You really don't read, do you? If that's what you got from my several posts in this thread then I think you probably are best served by the simplistic approach. It's okay, you're not alone . . .

Again with the patronising, insulting and superiority complex approach.

Is this where we 'measure' credentials?
  • SunofaBeach14
    Options

Ok rant over.

You really don't read, do you? If that's what you got from my several posts in this thread then I think you probably are best served by the simplistic approach. It's okay, you're not alone . . .

Again with the patronising, insulting and superiority complex approach.

Is this where we 'measure' credentials?

So you didn't go back and read what I wrote and just continue down your path to a full hijack of this thread? You should probably also go back and read the "patronsising, insulting and superiority complex" in your own posts. In any event, best of luck in your "journey."
  • SunofaBeach14
    Options
    I know it's not super convenient if you're on the run, standing in subway, etc, but their website will let you customize a sandwich -- you can pick your bread, meat, cheese (if desired), veggies & sauces and it will calculate for you the calories, fat content, carbs, etc.

If I'm craving subway, I'll play around on their website for a few mins and figure out exactly what I want and exactly how many calories it is. It's much easier for me to weigh my options when I can see plainly the exact count, rather than trying to add it in my head while in line (probably because I'm terrible at math and it gives me anxiety trying to add on the spot, haha)

^ I agree with this. The tools are there, use them.
  • Wonderob
    Options

So you didn't go back and read what I wrote and just continue down your path to a full hijack of this thread? You should probably also go back and read the "patronsising, insulting and superiority complex" in your own posts. In any event, best of luck in your "journey."

My own journey is fine. No problems at all thanks.

I read all that you wrote, and re-read some to see if I had missed anything. I saw some useful stuff but also a lot of contradictory stuff.

You said that it's unhealthy to classify foods as healthy or unhealthy - then go on to classify processed meat as unhealthy

You say that classifying foods as healthy or unhealthy is simplistic - then go on to endorse schools that classify foods as 'sometimes foods' and 'always foods' - equally simplistic

As it happens I agree with the IIFYM approach too - but I'm aware that there are foods that make this approach easy, and foods that make it more difficult - which is really the crux of the OPs original question
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

Ok rant over.

The IIFYM approach still requires you to make the right choices when it comes to food - would it not have been more sensible advice to tell him which Subway meals will make it easier for him to meet his Macros? Cookies, processed meats, sugary drinks, fatty snacks, high fat sauces, high sodium breads, high fat cheeses - all available at Subway - all ok to eat - all will make IIFYM that much harder to achieve

Why would you chose to go down the "How cute for the rest of you" patronising route? To somehow underline your perceived superiority?
    Please, explain exactly how you know so much about the OP's personal macro settings to know exactly what foods will or won't fit into his meal plan. Go ahead, I'll wait for you to come up with another random assumption.

OP, there's no specific healthy or unhealthy option at Subway, or anywhere. It depends on your goals and macros. Healthy is about your overall diet, not a specific food.
  • Wonderob
    Options
    Please, explain exactly how you know so much about the OP's personal macro settings to know exactly what foods will or won't fit into his meal plan. Go ahead, I'll wait for you to come up with another random assumption.

OP, there's no specific healthy or unhealthy option at Subway, or anywhere. It depends on your goals and macros. Healthy is about your overall diet, not a specific food.

That has been enough research to establish what does not constitute a good diet.
    Too much processed meat
    Too much refined sugar
    Too much saturated fat
    Too much sodium

I do not know what will fit in the OPs meal plan, it may be that eating half a dozen deep fired sticks of butter could fit - however we are going on what is likely. I'm sure your random assumption of what the OP means by 'healthy' would be pretty close even if you chose not to believe it

Try it - what do YOU think the OP meant be 'Healthy'? My guess would be low fat, low calories, low sodium - it's not exactly going out on a limb is it, considering that's what Subway themselves say it is