Subway!!!

Options

Replies

• SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options

So you didn't go back and read what I wrote and just continue down your path to a full hijack of this thread? You should probably also go back and read the "patronsising, insulting and superiority complex" in your own posts. In any event, best of luck in your "journey."

My own journey is fine. No problems at all thanks.

I read all that you wrote, and re-read some to see if I had missed anything. I saw some useful stuff but also a lot of contradictory stuff.

You said that it's unhealthy to classify foods as healthy or unhealthy - then go on to classify processed meat as unhealthy

You say that classifying foods as healthy or unhealthy is simplistic - then go on to endorse schools that classify foods as 'sometimes foods' and 'always foods' - equally simplistic

As it happens I agree with the IIFYM approach too - but I'm aware that there are foods that make this approach easy, and foods that make it more difficult - which is really the crux of the OPs original question

You're reaching awfuly hard here, claim to support IIFYM, and yet seem awfully confused about the basics. I'm done here. No one except you set out to hijack the op's post. As for your comment just above about low fat being healthy, just lol.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Please, explain exactly how you know so much about the OP's personal macro settings to know exactly what foods will or won't fit into his meal plan. Go ahead, I'll wait for you to come up with another random assumption.

OP, there's no specific healthy or unhealthy option at Subway, or anywhere. It depends on your goals and macros. Healthy is about your overall diet, not a specific food.

That has been enough research to establish what does not constitute a good diet.
    Too much processed meat
    Too much refined sugar
    Too much saturated fat
    Too much sodium

I do not know what will fit in the OPs meal plan, it may be that eating half a dozen deep fired sticks of butter could fit - however we are going on what is likely. I'm sure your random assumption of what the OP means by 'healthy' would be pretty close even if you chose not to believe it

Try it - what do YOU think the OP meant be 'Healthy'? My guess would be low fat, low calories, low sodium - it's not exactly going out on a limb is it, considering that's what Subway themselves say it is
    I don't consider low fat, low calorie, and low sodium to be healthy, as I pay attention to the science. Nothing wrong with saturated fat, it's actually healthy. A recent study has shown that sodium intakes in the 3000-4000mg range show the lowest mortality rates from heart disease. The danger of large calorie deficits has been shown over and over again.

So no, without seeing the OP's diary and macros, I can't and won't make a blanket suggestion.
  • Wonderob
    Wonderob Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Please, explain exactly how you know so much about the OP's personal macro settings to know exactly what foods will or won't fit into his meal plan. Go ahead, I'll wait for you to come up with another random assumption.

OP, there's no specific healthy or unhealthy option at Subway, or anywhere. It depends on your goals and macros. Healthy is about your overall diet, not a specific food.

That has been enough research to establish what does not constitute a good diet.
    Too much processed meat
    Too much refined sugar
    Too much saturated fat
    Too much sodium

I do not know what will fit in the OPs meal plan, it may be that eating half a dozen deep fired sticks of butter could fit - however we are going on what is likely. I'm sure your random assumption of what the OP means by 'healthy' would be pretty close even if you chose not to believe it

Try it - what do YOU think the OP meant be 'Healthy'? My guess would be low fat, low calories, low sodium - it's not exactly going out on a limb is it, considering that's what Subway themselves say it is
    I don't consider low fat, low calorie, and low sodium to be healthy, as I pay attention to the science. Nothing wrong with saturated fat, it's actually healthy. A recent study has shown that sodium intakes in the 3000-4000mg range show the lowest mortality rates from heart disease. The danger of large calorie deficits has been shown over and over again.

So no, without seeing the OP's diary and macros, I can't and won't make a blanket suggestion.

Makes me wonder why you chose to enter into the OPs thread in the first place then - other than to fulfil your own agenda
  • Wonderob
    Options

So you didn't go back and read what I wrote and just continue down your path to a full hijack of this thread? You should probably also go back and read the "patronsising, insulting and superiority complex" in your own posts. In any event, best of luck in your "journey."

I read all that you wrote, and re-read some to see if I had missed anything. I saw some useful stuff but also a lot of contradictory stuff.

You said that it's unhealthy to classify foods as healthy or unhealthy - then go on to classify processed meat as unhealthy

You say that classifying foods as healthy or unhealthy is simplistic - then go on to endorse schools that classify foods as 'sometimes foods' and 'always foods' - equally simplistic

As it happens I agree with the IIFYM approach too - but I'm aware that there are foods that make this approach easy, and foods that make it more difficult - which is really the crux of the OPs original question

You're reaching awfuly hard here, claim to support IIFYM, and yet seem awfully confused about the basics. I'm done here. No one except you set out to hijack the op's post. As for your comment just above about low fat being healthy, just lol.

I'm not confused at all - there are very few diets in which the basics is spelled out clearly in the name - IIFYM is one of them, it really is as simple as IIFYM

Did you even read what I said 'just above'? I didn't once say that low fat was healthy - I said that it's a fair assumption that by 'Healthy' the OP probably meant low fat, low calorie, low sodium, given that's what Subway say it is

But never mind - if it makes you 'just lol' then fill your boots
  • tigersword
    Options

Too much processed meat
    Too much refined sugar
    Too much saturated fat
    Too much sodium

Makes me wonder why you chose to enter into the OPs thread in the first place then - other than to fulfil your own agenda

My agenda? I gave the OP advice based on the question asked. You're the one going off the rails talking about all kinds of topics that the OP didn't ask about (for one thing, a cookie isn't a sandwich, yet a surprising number of your posts in this thread have been related to whether the OP should eat a cookie or not, which has nothing g to do with the OP's question, and can't be answered with the information given by the OP anyway.)

Seems you're the one with the thread hijacking agenda.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options

I'm not confused at all - there are very few diets in which the basics is spelled out clearly in the name - IIFYM is one of them, it really is as simple as IIFYM

Did you even read what I said 'just above'? I didn't once say that low fat was healthy - I said that it's a fair assumption that by 'Healthy' the OP probably meant low fat, low calorie, low sodium, given that's what Subway say it is

Now, you really are making me chuckle. People have been trying to help the OP by discussing IIFYM, you've argued against their input, and now you're claiming that you are just defining what the OP probably meant, but not supporting that view? Do you have a point?
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    I have never considered 'IIFYM' to be a "diet" myself.

Merely a phrase to ally worry when someone is asking if they can eat a specific food. Ie:

> Can I have this cookie?
    >> Yes, IIFYM.
  • Wonderob
    Options

Merely a phrase to ally worry when someone is asking if they can eat a specific food. Ie:

>> Yes, IIFYM.

Oh dear - you don't really believe diet to be just a method to lose weight?

If you are eating whatever fits your macros then that is your diet.
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options

>> Yes, IIFYM.

"Diet" is what you eat. I don't think they meant "diet" as in a short term fad diet.
  • Wonderob
    Options

Now, you really are making me chuckle. People have been trying to help the OP by discussing IIFYM, you've argued against their input, and now you're claiming that you are just defining what the OP probably meant, but not supporting that view? Do you have a point?

Who are you trying to kid

The OP wanted good healthy sandwich ideas - do you really think it helps the OP by saying "Anything on the menu will be a good healthy idea if it fits your macros" Do you honestly believe that's what was being asked?
  • tigersword
    Options

Who are you trying to kid

The OP wanted good healthy sandwich ideas - do you really think it helps the OP by saying "Anything on the menu will be a good healthy idea if it fits your macros" Do you honestly believe that's what was being asked?
    That IS the actual, honest answer. Does the OP need more protein? Then maybe a double meat sandwich. Is the OP near the limits calorie wise, but needs some carbs for a workout? Small veggie may be better there. It's IMPOSSIBLE to give a good suggestion without actually knowing the OP's needs, which is why I (and several others) gave the advice that they need to look at their macros and can look at the nutritional information that Subway provides to make an educated decision.
  • Wonderob
    Options
    That IS the actual, honest answer. Does the OP need more protein? Then maybe a double meat sandwich. Is the OP near the limits calorie wise, but needs some carbs for a workout? Small veggie may be better there. It's IMPOSSIBLE to give a good suggestion without actually knowing the OP's needs, which is why I (and several others) gave the advice that they need to look at their macros and can look at the nutritional information that Subway provides to make an educated decision.

Yes maybe, but I'm sorry, we all have to make assumptions when answering posts on here, even you
    Assume easy access to basic foodstuffs. Assume you don't need to walk 30 miles to get water from the nearest village well. Assume you haven't got a genetic condition. Assume you're not suffering from an eating disorder, assume you're not a child pretending to be an adult

Yes, ideally the OP could explain his exact requirements and specific tastes but in the absence of that information I don't think it's unfair to assume the OP was talking about the same 'Healthy' sandwiches that Subway include in their 'Healthy' range
  • tigersword
    Options

Yes maybe, but I'm sorry, we all have to make assumptions when answering posts on here, even you
    Assume easy access to basic foodstuffs. Assume you don't need to walk 30 miles to get water from the nearest village well. Assume you haven't got a genetic condition. Assume you're not suffering from an eating disorder, assume you're not a child pretending to be an adult

Yes, ideally the OP could explain his exact requirements and specific tastes but in the absence of that information I don't think it's unfair to assume the OP was talking about the same 'Healthy' sandwiches that Subway include in their 'Healthy' range
    I don't "assume" anything. I answer questions that are asked based on parameters given. The OP asked about Subway, so I answer specifically about Subway. There's nothing to "assume."

Also, you keep bringing up Subways "healthy" claims like they mean anything. You do realize that's marketing, right? It's marketing based on what consumers want to hear to sell their product. They aren't drugs requiring FDA approval.
  • Wonderob
    Options

I don't "assume" anything. I answer questions that are asked based on parameters given. The OP asked about Subway, so I answer specifically about Subway. There's nothing to "assume."

Also, you keep bringing up Subways "healthy" claims like they mean anything. You do realize that's marketing, right? It's marketing based on what consumers want to hear to sell their product. They aren't drugs requiring FDA approval.

I take no notice of Subway's healthy claims at all - in the absence of any other definition of healthy it's logical to use Subway's own as it's that that the OP was talking about. Whilst they don't need FDA approval, they still have to meet the criteria set out be the American Heart Association

It's up to you whether or not you want to subscribe to their views, but I don't see why their opinion on what is deemed 'healthy' is any less valid than yours
  • tigersword
    Options
    Well if the obvious solution is to just blindly go by the Subway listing of what their healthy options are, then there was no reason for OP to ask the question then, was there? That's a heck of a logical leap.
  • Wonderob
    Options
    Well if the obvious solution is to just blindly go by the Subway listing of what their healthy options are, then there was no reason for OP to ask the question then, was there? That's a heck of a logical leap.

Go into Subway and see what their 'healthy' options are
    Google it
    Ask for discussion on it on MFP

I don't see a problem with that.

Again, what do you think the OP meant by "good healthy sandwich ideas"? If you had to take a leap, what would it be?
  • tigersword
    Options

Google it

Again, what do you think the OP meant by "good healthy sandwich ideas"? If you had to take a leap, what would it be?
    Whatever fits into his calorie and macro goals that he enjoys eating. I don't look at or think about individual foods as "healthy" or "unhealthy" because foods and our digestive systems don't work in a vacuum. I look at my overall intake for the day. If I hit my nutritional needs, I'm healthy. If I don't consistently hit my nutritional needs, then I'm not healthy. Based on what I've eaten so far today, a 6 inch steak and cheese with double steak would be a good dinner for me if I was planning Subway.
  • mildammm
    mildammm Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Okay, so I never really ever had Subway because I would just get really confused with the options and would always end up with ingredients that don't quite go together. But now I have a combination that REALLY works! This is my go-to for around 450kcal:

6 inch flatbread
    oven-roasted chicken or turkey and ham (whichever one is on special)
    swiss cheese
    double toasted!
    lots of lettuce
    tomato
    green pepper
    must: GREEN OLIVES
    must: BLACK OLIVES
    a line of light mayo

YUM. Just a little different than what others seem to be ordering...
  • Wonderob
    Options

Google it

Whatever fits into his calorie and macro goals that he enjoys eating. I don't look at or think about individual foods as "healthy" or "unhealthy" because foods and our digestive systems don't work in a vacuum. I look at my overall intake for the day. If I hit my nutritional needs, I'm healthy. If I don't consistently hit my nutritional needs, then I'm not healthy. Based on what I've eaten so far today, a 6 inch steak and cheese with double steak would be a good dinner for me if I was planning Subway.

That's all about you and not the OP.

If you think that the OP asked for "Good healthy sandwich ideas" meaning "Sandwich ideas that I enjoy and fit my own very individual macro needs" then I suggest your leap was considerably further than mine!
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Dude. He just told you that "healthy" is dependant on the rest of your food which is why there's no direct answer to begin with which he told OP, so healthy = well that depends on what nutrients you still need that can be a 12' steak and cheese with extra sauce or a small salad. So yes, the only correct answer to OP would be "Anything on their menu, depending on what your body still needs at the time you enter the shop."

And also, meeting your calories for the day is also part of being healthy so eating a cookie can definitely be healthy if it helps you meet your calories, that just as an aside cause I wasn't here for the big cookie debate of 2014.