Subway!!!

Options

Replies

• Wonderob
    Wonderob Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Dude. He just told you that "healthy" is dependant on the rest of your food which is why there's no direct answer to begin with which he told OP, so healthy = well that depends on what nutrients you still need that can be a 12' steak and cheese with extra sauce or a small salad. So yes, the only correct answer to OP would be "Anything on their menu, depending on what your body still needs at the time you enter the shop."

And also, meeting your calories for the day is also part of being healthy so eating a cookie can definitely be healthy if it helps you meet your calories, that just as an aside cause I wasn't here for the big cookie debate of 2014.

That's not in question

What is in question what the OP originally meant - we both know what that was
  • ChristineRoze
    ChristineRoze Posts: 212 Member
    Options

"The chicken or turkey is good, but avoid the cookies"
    Subtext "There are some sandwiches that are considered quite healthy, but avoid the cookies as they contain a lot of refined sugar, saturated fat, and are of little nutritional benefit"

That's the way i should of said it, i guess i was saying my comment with a bit of a joke side to it. But now that i think more on it, yes you can add a cookie in but if someone is going to subway for the soul reason to have a healthier option, i don't think a cookie is the best idea
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Dude. He just told you that "healthy" is dependant on the rest of your food which is why there's no direct answer to begin with which he told OP, so healthy = well that depends on what nutrients you still need that can be a 12' steak and cheese with extra sauce or a small salad. So yes, the only correct answer to OP would be "Anything on their menu, depending on what your body still needs at the time you enter the shop."

And also, meeting your calories for the day is also part of being healthy so eating a cookie can definitely be healthy if it helps you meet your calories, that just as an aside cause I wasn't here for the big cookie debate of 2014.

That's not in question

If what he meant was a common misconception there's nothing wrong with telling him the actual answer.
  • Wonderob
    Options

That's not in question

If what he meant was a common misconception there's nothing wrong with telling him the actual answer.

The likelihood of him needing 220 calories of nutritionally poor tooth rotting processed sugar, additives, refined flour and saturated fat after he has already met all his essential macros are slim in the extreme. You don't think it's more likely that he is trying to meet a good amount of his essential macros by eating a high protein, high fibre, high in iron and vitamin sandwich?
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Subway is nasty.

So even if it was the healthiest food on the planet, I wouldn't eat there.
  • stevencloser
    Options
    Toothpaste was invented for a reason so don't come with the "sugar rots your teeth" argument or we can end this discussion immediately.

And yes, that is entirely in the realm of possibilities. I'm eating 2500 calories a day. That isn't even one of the highest calorie goals on here. If I wanted to meet those with veggies and plain chicken breast ("healthy stuff") I'd
    1) pay out my a** for it
    2( get sick of it very soon
    And also, another common misconception, more isn't always better. Not even for micros. Getting 5 times your daily recommendation of vitamins and other micro nutrients consistently just because you wanted to only eat "healthy" food and thus have been eating 2 kilos of fruit and veggies daily is not beneficial to your health either.
  • Wonderob
    Options
    Toothpaste was invented for a reason so don't come with the "sugar rots your teeth" argument or we can end this discussion immediately.

And yes, that is entirely in the realm of possibilities. I'm eating 2500 calories a day. That isn't even one of the highest calorie goals on here. If I wanted to meet those with veggies and plain chicken breast ("healthy stuff") I'd
    1) pay out my a** for it
    And also, another common misconception, more isn't always better. Not even for micros. Getting 5 times your daily recommendation of vitamins and other micro nutrients consistently just because you wanted to only eat "healthy" food and thus have been eating 2 kilos of fruit and veggies daily is not beneficial to your health either.

Again you're talking about you and what you do

Do you honestly believe that the OP is asking for "Good healthy sandwich ideas" so that he can fill up his chosen calorie intake for the day? Really?
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

That's not in question

The likelihood of him needing 220 calories of nutritionally poor tooth rotting processed sugar, additives, refined flour and saturated fat after he has already met all his essential macros are slim in the extreme. You don't think it's more likely that he is trying to meet a good amount of his essential macros by eating a high protein, high fibre, high in iron and vitamin sandwich?
    Tomatoes and strawberries are actually two of the worst foods for your teeth. Sugar is actually not bad for teeth, unless you find a way of making sure it sticks to them. Acid from fruit, on the other hand, will do a pretty good job of ruining tooth enamel. Tooth decay was a serious issue for prehistoric humans, and they weren't gobbling down pounds of refined sugar.
  • Wonderob
    Options

That's not in question

Tomatoes and strawberries are actually two of the worst foods for your teeth. Sugar is actually not bad for teeth, unless you find a way of making sure it sticks to them. Acid from fruit, on the other hand, will do a pretty good job of ruining tooth enamel. Tooth decay was a serious issue for prehistoric humans, and they weren't gobbling down pounds of refined sugar.

I wouldn't argue with that, but tomatoes and strawberries have nutritional benefits to outweigh that - refined sugar as far as I'm led to believe, doesnt
  • stevencloser
    Options

1) pay out my a** for it

Do you honestly believe that the OP is asking for "Good healthy sandwich ideas" so that he can fill up his chosen calorie intake for the day? Really?
    I didn't know you're a psychic who knows what OP wants.
    And if he wants to be healthy he better eat his calories for the day.
    I have honestly no idea what exactly you're trying to argue here since you started.
  • Wonderob
    Options

1) pay out my a** for it

I didn't know you're a psychic who knows what OP wants.
    And if he wants to be healthy he better eat his calories for the day.
    I have honestly no idea what exactly you're trying to argue here since you started.

The first 3 replies were all Subway sandwiches from their 'healthy' range. Chicken, Turkey, ham, vegies. In fact, every one who has chosen to offer up a sandwich idea to the OP has chosen similar sandwiches. Either they are all psychic or they coincidentally guessed what the OP wanted.

I haven't seen a single person put forward the Meatball pepperoni melt, despite at over 1000 calories, being the best way to achieve those difficult to meet calorie goals!
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options

So you didn't go back and read what I wrote and just continue down your path to a full hijack of this thread? You should probably also go back and read the "patronsising, insulting and superiority complex" in your own posts. In any event, best of luck in your "journey."

My own journey is fine. No problems at all thanks.

I read all that you wrote, and re-read some to see if I had missed anything. I saw some useful stuff but also a lot of contradictory stuff.

You said that it's unhealthy to classify foods as healthy or unhealthy - then go on to classify processed meat as unhealthy

You say that classifying foods as healthy or unhealthy is simplistic - then go on to endorse schools that classify foods as 'sometimes foods' and 'always foods' - equally simplistic

As it happens I agree with the IIFYM approach too - but I'm aware that there are foods that make this approach easy, and foods that make it more difficult - which is really the crux of the OPs original question

You're reaching awfuly hard here, claim to support IIFYM, and yet seem awfully confused about the basics. I'm done here. No one except you set out to hijack the op's post. As for your comment just above about low fat being healthy, just lol.

I'm not confused at all - there are very few diets in which the basics is spelled out clearly in the name - IIFYM is one of them, it really is as simple as IIFYM

Did you even read what I said 'just above'? I didn't once say that low fat was healthy - I said that it's a fair assumption that by 'Healthy' the OP probably meant low fat, low calorie, low sodium, given that's what Subway say it is

But never mind - if it makes you 'just lol' then fill your boots

Now, you really are making me chuckle. People have been trying to help the OP by discussing IIFYM, you've argued against their input, and now you're claiming that you are just defining what the OP probably meant, but not supporting that view? Do you have a point?

Who are you trying to kid

The OP wanted good healthy sandwich ideas - do you really think it helps the OP by saying "Anything on the menu will be a good healthy idea if it fits your macros" Do you honestly believe that's what was being asked?

Yes, as I've already explained, and I'm not trying to "kid" anyone. You definitely win the Internet for most meaningless posts in a single thread though.
  • stevencloser
    Options
    Ah, so not correcting a misconception is good now. Alright.
    Low calorie != healthy
    high calorie != unhealthy
    "empty calories" as in a cookie != unhealthy
    something that has no apparent health benefits != unhealthy
    something that is inherently detrimental to your health = unhealthy
    Drinking draino is unhealthy.
    Eating a cookie isn't unhealthy.
    Hitting your macros is good. Hitting your micros is good. Eating way too many of your micros because you thought it would be healthy is not good. Every single sub on the menu can be healthy or unhealthy for you, depending on your macro and micro needs. If you only have 100 calories left for the day you shouldn't eat a "healthy" sub because those are still 4 times more calories than you need for your goals.
    We're saying this in this thread that asked about "healthy sandwiches" why? Because there's still tons of people who don't know those things and think that just eating "healthy" food will magically make them lose weight / become healthy which is not necessarily the case cause you can still overeat on "healthy" stuff.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

1) pay out my a** for it

Why wouldn't the OP be planning on filling up his caloric intake for the day? Any food that contributes to his calorie goal helps him fill up his caloric intake. What in blazes are you even saying? Do you even have any idea what you are talking about, or are you just typing for the same of typing? I mean, do you think the OP is asking for suggestions of sandwiches that will negate his calorie goals? Seriously, that makes absolutely zero logical sense.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,651 Member
    Options

Incidentally, I've never done it but apparently if you ask they'll scoop out the bread in the centre of the sub to reduce calories further.

I do all the time and, speaking as a carboholic, you can't even tell the difference. It's a bit tricky to calculate on mfp tho.
  • Wonderob
    Options
    Low calorie != healthy
    Hitting your macros is good. Hitting your micros is good. Eating way too many of your micros because you thought it would be healthy is not good. Every single sub on the menu can be healthy or unhealthy for you, depending on your macro and micro needs. If you only have 100 calories left for the day you shouldn't eat a "healthy" sub because those are still 4 times more calories than you need for your goals.
    We're saying this in this thread that asked about "healthy sandwiches" why? Because there's still tons of people who don't know those things and think that just eating "healthy" food will magically make them lose weight / become healthy which is not necessarily the case cause you can still overeat on "healthy" stuff.

Nobody is suggesting any of that - that's just your misconception of what is being said

"If you only have 100 calories left for the day you shouldn't eat a "healthy" sub because those are still 4 times more calories than you need for your goals."

Yep, absolutely - who has suggested otherwise?

I'll give you a scenario now. If someone has 400 calories left, they should eat a "healthy" sub instead of 2 cookies as the subway is more nutritionally beneficial than the 2 cookies - even when you aren't aware of the exact macro and micro needs, there's more chance of meeting them with the sub than with the cookies.
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Love me some subway.

Footlong overn roasted chicken breast with all the veggies around 700 calories.
    Oh heck yeah...and it fills you up which is a great thing.
    You can eat alot of other things with 700 calories, like just a few cookies, and you arent going to get the full feelling like you do with a sub.
    Plus.....that is alot of vegetables you can pile on which are good for ya.

Dont bother with the cheeses.

Usually get the hot sauce on it..very low calories.
  • Wonderob
    Options

1) pay out my a** for it

Why wouldn't the OP be planning on filling up his caloric intake for the day? Any food that contributes to his calorie goal helps him fill up his caloric intake. What in blazes are you even saying? Do you even have any idea what you are talking about, or are you just typing for the same of typing? I mean, do you think the OP is asking for suggestions of sandwiches that will negate his calorie goals? Seriously, that makes absolutely zero logical sense.

I didn't say he wasn't planning to fill up his calorie intake for the day - it makes absolutely zero sense why you would even think that I said that.

If his goal was simply to fill up his calorie intake for the day, he could just as easily come on here and said "Hey tell me anything at all on the Subway menu that contains calories"
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    I do all the time and, speaking as a carboholic, you can't even tell the difference. It's a bit tricky to calculate on mfp tho.
    You could ask them to give you the scooped out stuff seperately and take it home, then weigh it :).
    Nobody is suggesting any of that - that's just your misconception of what is being said
    Getting a bit lost here, but what WAS your issue with the cookie in the first place, exactly?
    That was exactly how I took it.
  • stevencloser
    Options
    Low calorie != healthy

"If you only have 100 calories left for the day you shouldn't eat a "healthy" sub because those are still 4 times more calories than you need for your goals."

Yep, absolutely - who has suggested otherwise?

I'll give you a scenario now. If someone has 400 calories left, they should eat a "healthy" sub instead of 2 cookies as the subway is more nutritionally beneficial than the 2 cookies - even when you aren't aware of the exact macro and micro needs, there's more chance of meeting them with the sub than with the cookies.
    If you only have 400 calories left and already met your needs there's no reason to choose one over the other and you can go for whatever you like.

Also, you suggest otherwise. Multiple times. Every time you argued about that damn cookie you did. Every time you talked about the word "healthy" you did.