What do people have against vegetables?

Options
kmash32
kmash32 Posts: 275 Member
Ok let me start by saying I am not one of these people that thinks everyone needs to eat "clean" and cut out all the "junk" in there diets. I love pizza and burgers and ice cream still.

If I don't exercise my calorie goal is 1300 a day and I would starve during the day if I didn't eat a bunch of veggies with each meal, but I see many people's diary's on here where they are lucky to have one vegetable all day. I mean there are lots I don't like either but there are many ways to hide the taste like cauliflower popcorn, or in your pasta or rice dishes. Also there is lots of talk about macro nutrients which I get but what about all your vitamins and minerals that lead to a well balanced diet?

One of the reasons I am asking is I just had my physical today and though my doc is encouraged by my progress she did make a point of asking if I was eating the recommended servings of fruits and veggies and getting enough calcium. So just wondering.

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of adults here who act like 4 year olds when it comes to vegetables. Also, a lot of people don't have a clue when it comes to just general, basic nutrition. I would imagine there are many on this site who have rarely had a freshly prepared meal that didn't come out of a box pretty much ready to consume within about 1 minute of microwaving it.
  • SummerRain43
    Options
    I have nothing against vegetables.....I mainly just eat salads....I live alone and I can't be bothered cooking so most of the time when I buy veges, I end up throwing them out....
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    Guilty and i am a vegetarian lol i like them they just aren't what i want usually. I am working on it but reaching for that oh so tempting junk food is a problem. I hope having some frozen veggies will help me get in the mood for them.
  • squishycatmew
    squishycatmew Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I LOVE vegetables, but since I've been tracking my food, I've been eating a lot less of them (and even less fruit) because they really, really throw my macro balance off. SO. MANY. CARBOHYDRATES. (Tonight I said screw it and went over my carbs so I could have a real bowlful of vegetables and tofu.)
  • Nt2Badhuh
    Nt2Badhuh Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of adults here who act like 4 year olds when it comes to vegetables. Also, a lot of people don't have a clue when it comes to just general, basic nutrition. I would imagine there are many on this site who have rarely had a freshly prepared meal that didn't come out of a box pretty much ready to consume within about 1 minute of microwaving it.

A nicer version of this I guess... I am all about convenience at the moment. I have two jobs,an internship, full time student and I volunteer. If I cant have it ready in a minute or carry it around all day without a fridge....im pretty much starving. In order to cut out fast food ive pretty much had to convert to all soup diet lol.

oh and of course " veggie-tables are groooottteeeeeee" * four year old voice*.:wink:
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    What's cauliflower popcorn?
  • larrodarro
    larrodarro Posts: 2,512 Member
    Options
    Most of the time all I have against them is a couple of shakes of Smokey Mesquite. Unless it is green beans you are talking about. Then I put a little Roasted Garlic and Herb against them.
  • kmash32
    kmash32 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    What's cauliflower popcorn?

Here are links to two different versions that are both pretty good.

http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/cauliflower-popcorn
    http://www.food.com/recipe/popcorn-cauliflower-217432
  • Sinisterly
    Sinisterly Posts: 10,913 Member
    Options
    Only that my grandmother tried force feeding them to me as a child, after force feeding me a huge plate of whatever it was she had cooked that day.
    Bad memories.

I still love me some broccoli and cauliflower, though.
  • chloematilds
    chloematilds Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    theyre not the yummiest and usually theyre better when eaten with meat or a soups and some.carb...which I do
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I would also add that a great many people have not yet had their health impacted by their lack of nutrition...when that happens, all of a sudden eating a little broccoli now and then isn't such a hardship and rockin' a spinach salad isn't so gross....

Getting 6-8 servings of vegetables per day has gone a long way in helping to reverse about a million things wrong with my blood work a mere 18 months ago.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    I love vegetables. Except cauliflower, the Bernie Madoff of the vegetable world, that fraudulent *kitten*. :grumble:
  • Sbrn_
    Sbrn_ Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I love vegetables. I could list out all my favourites but who gives a shuck?

That is all. :indifferent:
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    mis-read original post...
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    the only problem with vegetables is when people want to turn them into things that they are not…AKA every cauliflower substitute that is out there. ...
  • larrodarro
    larrodarro Posts: 2,512 Member
    Options
    When I was doing the 5-2 fasting thing, big bowls of stir fry was all that could get me in at 600 calories on my two 'fast' days and me not ending up hungry. I have left the 5-2 behind, but I still eat stir fry most days.
  • onefortyone
    onefortyone Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I know I am a bad person and a hypocrite but I don't... always... log vegetables. *ducks the rotten tomatoes*

My husband doesn't log ANY, he sees them as free calories. I am starting to log more, because I want them to become the 'main' part of the dish instead of the side, now that I've realised that 4oz meat is barely any food at all. But sometimes it's like, okay I have to weigh/measure it, log in to MFP, find the vegetable, make sure it's correct (by researching the USDA guidelines), and then log it... to find out it's... 10 calories. Or 26.

I do log things like corn and potatoes, but with asparagus, spinach, romaine lettuce, etc. I just think it's kind of a pain.
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Vegetables stole my lunch money, I'm still not over it.
  • velvet_violence
    Options
    My personal story is that I learned how to cook for myself as a latch key kid. My parents both think veggies are gross so aside from like taco fixins we never really had great stuff at either of their houses. Can't make a kid enjoy what isn't there! I learned little by little that I enjoyed veggies, we always did have a fair amount of fruit around (sugar lovers, every one of us). Luckily when we went out we would sometimes go to fancier places that showed how to make veg a little more palatable.

But I married the son of one veggie lover. Just one parent, the other eschews most plant material. Hubby says his mom used to do a lot of fad plant-based diet (think cabbage soup) and they would have an abundance of whatever was allowed on her diet available. We independently started enjoying local produce and farmer's markets, and now we're known as quite the cooks in our social circle based on what we learned from the market farmers and artisans!

Then I started gardening (MIL is also a master gardener). I'm totally a brown thumb and while a few years in have managed to do it only a few times, but there is no satisfaction like growing and preparing a meal with produce all grown in your garden. I also do enjoy eating a variety of foods that aren't incredibly calorically rich... lately we have been eating a veggie salad with veggie soup every night and it's how I've been able to fit in some more dense calories. :devil:
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    Most of the time all I have against them is a couple of shakes of Smokey Mesquite. Unless it is green beans you are talking about. Then I put a little Roasted Garlic and Herb against them.

Sounds really good