Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

What do people have against vegetables?

Replies

• 43mmmgoody21
    43mmmgoody21 Posts: 146 Member
    I love vegetables. Except cauliflower, the Bernie Madoff of the vegetable world, that fraudulent *kitten*. :grumble:

I would add to the hated list: brussel sprouts.
  • weird_me2
    weird_me2 Posts: 716 Member
    and this includes canned spinach and asparagus and all of that wonderous nastiness.

dear god- I'm so sorry for you!!!

LOL! It's so funny when my mom eats at our house--

mom: That asparagus was sooooo good, what did you put on it?
    me: Just salt and pepper and then we roasted it at 425.
    mom: Oh, I just usually eat mine from the can...

She's the same way with a lot of meats, too. I never knew steak and pork chops could be anything but gray blobs of protein until I met my husband! I can't blame my dislike of veggies and fruits only on her cooking because even now, knowing how to cook them and prepare them well, I don't love most of them. I'm lucky that my DDs both got my DHs tastes for foods and like almost everything, especially fruits and veggies. Sometimes they even fight over who gets the last berries or cantaloupe or green beans! It's so weird to me.
  • Frood42
    Frood42 Posts: 245 Member
    Taste. :sick:

Yes, I am a 4 year old when it comes to vegetables.
    :tongue:

• seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,740 Member
    I like most vegetables and try to incorporate many servings into every day. However, there are certain foods that I just don't want vegetables in or with. For example, last night my husband and I ate 15 bean soup for dinner with a piece of cornbread. It would have been a more balanced meal with a salad or veggie side, but I didn't want that with it. When I make an omelet I stick tons of spinach, onion, mushrooms, and/or peppers in it and love it...but when I make a breakfast sandwich I like to stay more basic with just egg, veggie bacon or sausage, and maybe some cheese. I do not want veggies in that, even though it would be healthier for me.
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    What I have against vegetables is that most people cook the hell out of them and then they are gross. Many vegetables are better raw or practically raw.

Cooked right vegetables are yummy. Except mushrooms, they grow them in poo.
  • VoodooSyxx
    VoodooSyxx Posts: 297
    When I was doing the 5-2 fasting thing, big bowls of stir fry was all that could get me in at 600 calories on my two 'fast' days and me not ending up hungry. I have left the 5-2 behind, but I still eat stir fry most days.

I do this too. A pound of ground turkey and 2 pounds of veggies and I have lunch for like 4 days.
  • chad_phillips1123
    chad_phillips1123 Posts: 229 Member
    It's probably a combination of people not being raised to eat veggies and getting a taste for them (in retrospect when I was growing up our diet was pretty bad; few veggies, lots of fast food) and people not knowing out to cook (to either bring out or make veggies taste good or pair them with other foods they go well with).
  • Cathalain
    Cathalain Posts: 424 Member
    It's not that I don't like vegetables; it's mainly because I haven't really TRIED a lot of them (yet). My whole family ate unhealthy and they never really had them in the house, so I wasn't exposed to them much. And the few times I was, I would do the bratty kid thing and go, "I DON'T LIKE THEM" - my parents never pushed me to try anything, hence my continued ignorance.

I'm trying to change that, slowly. I tried zucchini over this past weekend - to my shock, I liked it. Who knew?

I love broccoli, mushrooms, onions, spinach, lettuces (especially arugula) - and yes, cauliflower. I'm one of those ones that WILL eat a cauliflower pizza crust or "mock" potato salad (but I'm diabetic, so I've had to learn to make some alterations) - but I like the taste, anyway.

I'm learning to like carrots, peppers (of any color), tomatoes, edamame. Not wild about tomatoes because of the "jelly stuff" inside (as I used to call it), but otherwise, they're good.

Dislike squash, okra, cabbage, cucumbers, peas, lima beans. I literally cannot STAND them. I'll choke on lima beans if I even try to swallow them.

Haven't tried eggplant, artichokes, asparagus or brussel sprouts. Yet.

ETA: If you pickle cucumbers or cabbage (sauerkraut), though - different story. Then it's yum.
  • YorriaRaine
    YorriaRaine Posts: 370 Member
    I wasn't raised on veggies, except the occasional salad. I still don't like the taste of most veggies. I have noticed a trend where I like veggies raw, the second they are cooked, idk what it does, I just don't like it. I try and have green smoothies a majority of the week now though, and the occasional salad. Snacking on carrots more often too. I finally got the feel for broccoli in small doses, hated it all my life up until about a year ago.

Slowly I will find more veggies I like :P
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    I just don't log the veggies I eat. It's not many and they have barely any calories anyway. And I'm bulking. So I ignore them when logging.
  • janellevaught
    janellevaught Posts: 428 Member
    I used to be very against the majority of vegetables (specifically anything green or purple). Now that I am vegan that is not really an option. I try vegetables now that I always assumed I hated and most of them I love. I am still not a fan of asparagus.

I honestly think that as I have gotten older my tastebuds have changed. Also, the cleaner I eat it opens up my palate more as well.
  • stevencloser
    Purple?
  • janellevaught
    Purple?

I don't know why...in my mind green and purple veggies were just naturally gross. What can I say...I am a weirdo. I love purple grapes now (even more so than green grapes).
  • stevencloser
    The only purple vegetable I can think of would be eggplant (which is technically not a vegetable).
  • janellevaught
    The only purple vegetable I can think of would be eggplant (which is technically not a vegetable).

Purple carrots
    Purple peppers
    Purple potatoes
    Purple kolrabi
    Purple cabbage

Anyway, I wouldn't eat anything (fruits, veggies, or anything else) that was purple or green.
  • stevencloser
    Okay, red cabbage.
    But I've never seen any of the others.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    and this includes canned spinach and asparagus and all of that wonderous nastiness.

She's the same way with a lot of meats, too. I never knew steak and pork chops could be anything but gray blobs of protein until I met my husband! I can't blame my dislike of veggies and fruits only on her cooking because even now, knowing how to cook them and prepare them well, I don't love most of them. I'm lucky that my DDs both got my DHs tastes for foods and like almost everything, especially fruits and veggies. Sometimes they even fight over who gets the last berries or cantaloupe or green beans! It's so weird to me.

heh- did that with zuchini and asparagus for BF- he *started* to come around to eating them a little.

My mom made cranberry sauce- from you know- cranberry's and my dad sat down and went 'what's that"

she was like um- cranberry sauce-

but it's not in slices???

Apparently he'd never seen it anything other than a can!!!!!

Bacon- add some bacon to your veggies- I'm addicted to bacon wrapped asparagus- bacon makes EVERYTHING better! :D
  • rosehips60
    rosehips60 Posts: 1,030 Member
    I hate to admit it, but I'm not a huge fan of the veggies myself. Many people are maligning cauliflower which one of my favorites. (Hint try it roasted, you'll never go back to steamed). If you don't own an electric steamer, get one. It will make all the difference in the world in flavor and texture, so much better than the microwave. Another hint if they are cooked eat them while they are hot, it makes it easier to get them down. I said I'm not a big fan, I didn't say I didn't eat them! (but I don't do Brussel sprouts or okra)

For the Brussels....cut a small X in the bottom of the stem and remove the first set of leaves. Drop them in boiling salted water for 2-3 mins then remove them. Slice them each in half, then roast in the oven with a bit of coconut or olive oil, some kosher salt, and some herbs sprinkled over. Cook them till they are slightly caramelized. I usually have them in the oven for about 20-35 mins at like 375ish. They are incredible this way...not bitter at all, but sweet...so yummy!!! Even my picky husband loves them and he is not a huge veggie eater at all.

Okra tho....no...I can't do it. I keep trying but it is not going to happen.

Ok, I'll give the sprouts another shot
  • weird_me2
    weird_me2 Posts: 716 Member

heh- did that with zuchini and asparagus for BF- he *started* to come around to eating them a little.

My mom made cranberry sauce- from you know- cranberry's and my dad sat down and went 'what's that"

she was like um- cranberry sauce-

but it's not in slices???

Apparently he'd never seen it anything other than a can!!!!!

Bacon- add some bacon to your veggies- I'm addicted to bacon wrapped asparagus- bacon makes EVERYTHING better! :D

Bacon so makes everything better! Except brussels sprouts and cauliflower. Those are two that I have not learned how to like and I think I'm done trying! Even my DH who likes everything hasn't liked a single brussel's sprout recipe we've tried, even one that involved roasting them and bacon.
  • kmash32
    kmash32 Posts: 275 Member
    What's cauliflower popcorn?

Wrong! just wrong!

:laugh: it is just a fancy name for roasted cauliflower with some spices or you can do it with just garlic salt and then add parmesan after it is cooked.