Replies

• kmash32
    kmash32 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Deleted as person corrected themselves
  • KameHameHaaa
    KameHameHaaa Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I looooove my veggies, especially grilled. I think a lot of people are in a time crunch and because of that don't incorporate veggies into their diet. I had a hard time with that in the beginning until i started pre-planning and freezing meals ahead of time.
  • missyjane824
    missyjane824 Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    There aren't too many vegetables I don't like. I can't think of any right now and the ones I may think I don't like is probably because I haven't tried yet. There's the 4 year old coming through.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    lol not sure if OP is trolling or serious …

why does everyone need to eat "clean" and how do you define "clean"?

I eat vegetables, lean meats, protein, chicken AND ice cream, pizza, cookies, chocolate, etc and it has not hindered my progress at all. Have gone from 220 # and 25% + body fat to 170 pounds and 12% body fat and there is no way I am 100% clean..whatever hat is ..

so yea, I am going to go ahead and disagree with that ….

I am not trolling, panda I said I don't think everyone needs to eat "clean" I am just really curious how people what eat at the lower calorie range like me stay on track and aren't starving if they don't eat veggies, especially low cal ones to fill up. As I said I also am wondering how they think they are getting all there vitamins and nutrients in.

yes, I know i edited my post as I misread your original post...
  • rosehips60
    rosehips60 Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    I hate to admit it, but I'm not a huge fan of the veggies myself. Many people are maligning cauliflower which one of my favorites. (Hint try it roasted, you'll never go back to steamed). If you don't own an electric steamer, get one. It will make all the difference in the world in flavor and texture, so much better than the microwave. Another hint if they are cooked eat them while they are hot, it makes it easier to get them down. I said I'm not a big fan, I didn't say I didn't eat them! (but I don't do Brussel sprouts or okra)
  • ndj1979
    Options
    mis-read original post...

^ see edited original post...
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    Ok let me start by saying I am not one of these people that thinks everyone needs to eat "clean" and cut out all the "junk" in there diets. I love pizza and burgers and ice cream still.

If I don't exercise my calorie goal is 1300 a day and I would starve during the day if I didn't eat a bunch of veggies with each meal, but I see many people's diary's on here where they are lucky to have one vegetable all day. I mean there are lots I don't like either but there are many ways to hide the taste like cauliflower popcorn, or in your pasta or rice dishes. Also there is lots of talk about macro nutrients which I get but what about all your vitamins and minerals that lead to a well balanced diet?

One of the reasons I am asking is I just had my physical today and though my doc is encouraged by my progress she did make a point of asking if I was eating the recommended servings of fruits and veggies and getting enough calcium. So just wondering.

I take a multivitamin.

ETA: I like vegetables, but am often too busy to prepare a variety of them for all my meals. Meat and eggs and dairy work well for me for most days.
  • asciident
    asciident Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    There are 2 issues people using MFP might be addressing:

weight - calories primarily and macros secondarily are important here, depending on goals for fat loss, muscle gain, etc.

health - this is where exercise and micros become important. you can lose/gain weight without ever thinking about your micronutrients or whether you're eating enough veggies. but obviously they're important to health.

Some people just want to focus on weight and work their way toward eating for health in addition to weight. Some people don't like vegetables the way they've tried them and haven't gotten over it enough to try other veggies/preparations.

I wouldn't spend much time thinking about random people's diaries anyway. You don't know them/their situation/their goals.
  • kmash32
    Options
    the only problem with vegetables is when people want to turn them into things that they are not…AKA every cauliflower substitute that is out there. ...

Do you mean when they try to replace certain things with them? Like cauliflower pizza crust? :laugh:

I agree for the most part if that is what you are referring too.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    the only problem with vegetables is when people want to turn them into things that they are not…AKA every cauliflower substitute that is out there. ...

Do you mean when they try to replace certain things with them? Like cauliflower pizza crust? :laugh:

I agree for the most part if that is what you are referring too.

yes, cauliflower was not meant to be pizza crust…unless of course someone has a carb/gluten sensitivity, which I get...
  • RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    Options
    I love vegetables. Except cauliflower, the Bernie Madoff of the vegetable world, that fraudulent *kitten*. :grumble:

It's a shame you don't like cauliflower though. I hear it's a very versatile vegetable.
  • kmash32
    Options
    I love vegetables. Except cauliflower, the Bernie Madoff of the vegetable world, that fraudulent *kitten*. :grumble:

It's a shame you don't like cauliflower though. I hear it's a very versatile vegetable.

:laugh:
  • skittlesnhoney
    skittlesnhoney Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I will eat them if we have them on hand. I do try to get them in. Eating healthy can be so expensive and if they don't get eaten right away, they go bad. I do try to incorporate them into every meal and snacks. Just not always breakfast, although a handful of spinach or a half an avocado in my post workout protein breakfast shake does happen once in a while.

So, I guess I'm not one of those people that have anything against vegetables. Other than I wish they were cheaper! Thankfully we are getting some things planted this year. That will help.
  • Bounce4
    Bounce4 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I don't know! I eat quite a few because I like them and I need a decent sized meal and a person can eat a lot of veggies for the calorie load.

People like what they like but the people that really make me chuckle are the full assed grown adults that whine about not liking them, how to eat them, what to do. All the hand wringing. Seriously? You are an adult. Eat a carrot if it is important to you, simple as that. It won't kill you obviously. If you don't care - just don't eat it but then don't come crying for someone to either validate you or let you in on the great veggie caper where we all know the secret to making them taste like M&M's or Doritos. lol.
  • I_love_frogs
    I_love_frogs Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I hate to admit it, but I'm not a huge fan of the veggies myself. Many people are maligning cauliflower which one of my favorites. (Hint try it roasted, you'll never go back to steamed). If you don't own an electric steamer, get one. It will make all the difference in the world in flavor and texture, so much better than the microwave. Another hint if they are cooked eat them while they are hot, it makes it easier to get them down. I said I'm not a big fan, I didn't say I didn't eat them! (but I don't do Brussel sprouts or okra)

For the Brussels....cut a small X in the bottom of the stem and remove the first set of leaves. Drop them in boiling salted water for 2-3 mins then remove them. Slice them each in half, then roast in the oven with a bit of coconut or olive oil, some kosher salt, and some herbs sprinkled over. Cook them till they are slightly caramelized. I usually have them in the oven for about 20-35 mins at like 375ish. They are incredible this way...not bitter at all, but sweet...so yummy!!! Even my picky husband loves them and he is not a huge veggie eater at all.

Okra tho....no...I can't do it. I keep trying but it is not going to happen.
  • kmash32
    Options

Try the brussels halved, then roasted in the oven with a bit of coconut or olive oil, some kosher salt, and some herbs sprinkled over. cook them till they are slightly carmelized. I usually have them in the oven for about 20-35 mins at like 375ish. They are incredible this way...even my picky husband loves them and he is not a huge veggie eater at all.

Okra tho....no...I can't do it. I keep trying but it is not going to happen.

This^^
    When it comes to Brussels sprouts, I hate okra
  • kmash32
    Options
    I know I am a bad person and a hypocrite but I don't... always... log vegetables. *ducks the rotten tomatoes*

My husband doesn't log ANY, he sees them as free calories. I am starting to log more, because I want them to become the 'main' part of the dish instead of the side, now that I've realised that 4oz meat is barely any food at all. But sometimes it's like, okay I have to weigh/measure it, log in to MFP, find the vegetable, make sure it's correct (by researching the USDA guidelines), and then log it... to find out it's... 10 calories. Or 26.

I do log things like corn and potatoes, but with asparagus, spinach, romaine lettuce, etc. I just think it's kind of a pain.

Maybe this is it, though I do find they can add up so I log everything.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    I do large trays of roasted vegetables...carrots, potatoes, cauliflower, brussel sprouts...

I also include vegetables in my pasta casseroles such as spinach, I also do turkey burgers with zucchini and grated carrots.

Then there is V8 juice that I drink every morning...2 servings of vegetables and a bunch of potassium.
  • kmash32
    Options
    Then there is V8 juice that I drink every morning...2 servings of vegetables and a bunch of potassium.

I so wish I could do this but I allergic to Tomatoes.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I :heart: fruits and veg. I cook almost all of my food from scratch, so it's easy to incorporate vegetables. I can see how it might be more convenient to eat a bunch of processed crap for meals if you're super busy, but you can still squeeze in snacks of raw baby carrots, apples, cauliflower, etc...

Old habits, I guess.