Options
124»

Replies

• obum88
    obum88 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    How much water are your drinking?

1. While no one has complained of these side effects you are not them
    2. Being an NP does not mean you know everything as people keep referring to that, please speak with your prescribing doctor
    3. Why are you trying meds at the weight you are at and not diet and exercise first
    4. What about all the patients that gain once they get off the phen or have not had those patients?

Nurse, NP, healthcare professionals or people who generally feel they have vast medical knowledge suck as patients, I know cause I am one. We think we know, but sometimes we don't. Please get off the meds, learn willpower(I'm still working on this) and create a fitness program to stick o for 3 months. After 3 months, create another one and keep going til you get where you want to be. Here for support if you need it. I applaud you for wanting to work on your health.

You gained weight while pregnant and you want another one, so if you set into motion good fitness practices now, the next pregnancy will see you healthier and fitter and gaining the recommended amount of weight, the phen won't be there for the pregnancy.
  • 1Cor1510
    1Cor1510 Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I don't know if it's helpful here or not, but try paying more attention to your macros (protein, fat, and carb) intake. You are eating really low fat, and fats are a necessary part of your brain function. You can add coconut oil or peanut butter into your diet, that would help. I guess my suggestion on the food part is to look for a better BALANCE of foods. When we're eating so little, eating the right things for the bod helps :) Good luck!
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    So people tell you to eat more and see a doctor equals being rude!!! :noway:

So what you want is pat a back their, they'er, there.

As everyone said EAT MORE, SEE ANOTHER DOCTOR!!!! ASAP!!
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone,

So I started my weight loss journey (seriously started) a week ago yesterday. My doctor put me on a 1200 calorie a day diet and I also take phentermine 37.5. I bought Endotrim and 5HTP to take as supplements. I drink a spark in the mornings and run about 2 miles. I am not eating anywhere near my 1200 calories. I noticed this morning when I woke up that I am having trouble with my vision. Everything is blurry and hazy, almost like there is a film over my eyes. My husband keeps telling me it is because I am not eating enough, but I take a multivitamin to make sure I am getting the proper nutrition. I know some of you are going to tell me to talk to me doctor, but I am an NP and have never had a patient complain of these side effects with phen. Anyone have any experience with this? Maybe it is for over working and not eating enough? I am very concerned with this. Any advise would be great!

Thanks.

I researched 5HTP before and it can have serious side effects with other medications. I don't know if that could be adding to or causing your vision problems or you lack of appetite. In addition I know when I drink Spark it kills my appetite for half of the day and I have to force myself to eat. Maybe try only the prescribed medication and getting the 1200 calories with a bedtime snack of some almonds or a piece of peanut butter toast to see if that helps.
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    I feel bad that I have to justify my credentials because people assume since I am overweight that I am not a good health care provider. I have not been out of school that long and it takes time to get the experience.

I don't think anyone was asking you to justify your credentials. They were probably just amazed(as was I) that someone who studied human biology in such depth didn't realize that such a HUGE deficit in calories and nutrition could cause SERIOUS and dangerous side effects. Oh, and assumed that they could just pop a multivitamin to make up for the difference...

Eat more food, get a better Dr who knows more about nutrition(or see a nutritionist/dietitian), and take a nutrition course so you can properly educate your own patients.
  • cdavis3746
    Options
    How much water are your drinking?

1. While no one has complained of these side effects you are not them
    2. Being an NP does not mean you know everything as people keep referring to that, please speak with your prescribing doctor
    3. Why are you trying meds at the weight you are at and not diet and exercise first
    4. What about all the patients that gain once they get off the phen or have not had those patients?

Nurse, NP, healthcare professionals or people who generally feel they have vast medical knowledge suck as patients, I know cause I am one. We think we know, but sometimes we don't. Please get off the meds, learn willpower(I'm still working on this) and create a fitness program to stick o for 3 months. After 3 months, create another one and keep going til you get where you want to be. Here for support if you need it. I applaud you for wanting to work on your health.

You gained weight while pregnant and you want another one, so if you set into motion good fitness practices now, the next pregnancy will see you healthier and fitter and gaining the recommended amount of weight, the phen won't be there for the pregnancy.

I drink about 8-10 8 oz glasses. Sometimes more and sometimes less. The phen causes me to have a very dry mouth so I tend to drink a lot, which is common. And you are right, we are the worst patients! I will not have another baby until I am back into a healthy lifestyle. It wouldnt be fair to carry a baby and have those risks that comes with being overweight. Thanks for comments.
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    I am just not hungry. I will eat a couple boiled eggs in the morning, Then some veggies and hummus in the afternoon then usually a chicken breast and broccoli at dinner.
    oh ok. this must be how your weight got up to 235 lbs. :noway:

My weight is 235 because I had a terrible pregnancy with preeclampsia and was on bed rest for months and almost lost my child. Still want to make jokes?
    not trying to make jokes about undisclosed information, and I am very sorry that you had to go through that, but glad that it sounds like your child survived.

Simply, it is unbelievable to me that your weight got up to 235 lbs without you learning how to eat over 1200 calories. And am I right in assuming you stating you're an NP means Nurse Practitioner? Yet, you still aren't able to get in your doctor prescribed calorie allotment?

....That's actually more concerning about the ever-declining state of health care workers.

Let's be careful with our words. This young lady has come on ASKING FOR HELP. She isn't hiding the truth from us, she laid herself bare.

Advising her to eat her 1200 calories is a great start, she will learn as she goes along here from others who have walked before her.

Snarky is useful with some people (like me) but she has clearly indicated it is HURTFUL to her.

Can we all keep it civil and HELP her????
    the NP won't listen to her DO or her husband, how are random people on the internet supposed to help her?

Here's snarky for you - perhaps your time would be better spent on a treadmill than making harmful comments to a member asking for help!
    lol. that's not snark, that's stupid.

OP: good luck to you, and your future patients.
  • jmv7117
    jmv7117 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone,

So I started my weight loss journey (seriously started) a week ago yesterday. My doctor put me on a 1200 calorie a day diet and I also take phentermine 37.5. I bought Endotrim and 5HTP to take as supplements. I drink a spark in the mornings and run about 2 miles. I am not eating anywhere near my 1200 calories. I noticed this morning when I woke up that I am having trouble with my vision. Everything is blurry and hazy, almost like there is a film over my eyes. My husband keeps telling me it is because I am not eating enough, but I take a multivitamin to make sure I am getting the proper nutrition. I know some of you are going to tell me to talk to me doctor, but I am an NP and have never had a patient complain of these side effects with phen. Anyone have any experience with this? Maybe it is for over working and not eating enough? I am very concerned with this. Any advise would be great!

Thanks.

I researched 5HTP before and it can have serious side effects with other medications. I don't know if that could be adding to or causing your vision problems or you lack of appetite. In addition I know when I drink Spark it kills my appetite for half of the day and I have to force myself to eat. Maybe try only the prescribed medication and getting the 1200 calories with a bedtime snack of some almonds or a piece of peanut butter toast to see if that helps.

Here's a bit of info on 5HTP. I definitely would not take it!
    http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supplements/ingredientmono-794-5-HTP.aspx?activeIngredientId=794&activeIngredientName=5-HTP
  • cdavis3746
    Options
    Hello Everyone,

Thanks.

Here's a bit of info on 5HTP. I definitely would not take it!
    http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supplements/ingredientmono-794-5-HTP.aspx?activeIngredientId=794&activeIngredientName=5-HTP

Thank you for posting that. I definitely will not be taking it again. It was recommended by a friend of mine, that is why I bought it. I will be sure to tell him to read this as well.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    I am just not hungry. I will eat a couple boiled eggs in the morning, Then some veggies and hummus in the afternoon then usually a chicken breast and broccoli at dinner.
    oh ok. this must be how your weight got up to 235 lbs. :noway:

My weight is 235 because I had a terrible pregnancy with preeclampsia and was on bed rest for months and almost lost my child. Still want to make jokes?
    not trying to make jokes about undisclosed information, and I am very sorry that you had to go through that, but glad that it sounds like your child survived.

Simply, it is unbelievable to me that your weight got up to 235 lbs without you learning how to eat over 1200 calories. And am I right in assuming you stating you're an NP means Nurse Practitioner? Yet, you still aren't able to get in your doctor prescribed calorie allotment?

....That's actually more concerning about the ever-declining state of health care workers.

Let's be careful with our words. This young lady has come on ASKING FOR HELP. She isn't hiding the truth from us, she laid herself bare.

Advising her to eat her 1200 calories is a great start, she will learn as she goes along here from others who have walked before her.

Snarky is useful with some people (like me) but she has clearly indicated it is HURTFUL to her.

Can we all keep it civil and HELP her????
    The only help she needs is to follow the advice to see a doctor TODAY, RIGHT NOW.

She's an NP and she knows better, so whatever.

A history of preeclampsia and she's taking phentermine. SMH

Preeclampsia is a condition that pregnant women get which is caused by a high level of protein in the urine which causes BP to rise. I'm not pregnant right now, obviously or I wouldn't be taking it. My blood pressure is fine 110's/70's, my heart rate is normal. I have no medical reasons as to why I couldnt take it. I didnt ask for it, it was recommended for 3 months.

If you didn't ask for it, and there's no medical reason why you need it, why not just contact the doctor and ask about going off of it? I was put on bed rest during my last pregnancy as well and therefore gained more weight than I should have, and I've been losing steadily just following MFP. If you don't have any medical reason to need medical intervention for your weight loss, you might be better off just getting rid of the drugs and side effects.