Paleo Bread

Options

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,716 Member
    Options
    Honestly- I only wanted to know if the dang bread was good.

Thought MFP was suppose to be a community of uplifting, encouraging people.
    Well truth is part of that too. We're not here to be pacifiers to those who need it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
    Boy this place never ceases to amaze me.
    Good reason to stick around.

IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    the biggest problem with Paleo is that it labels itself as Paleo, but it is far from Paleolothic.

Most "Paleo" eaters of today are not hunters and gatherers and they live in man-made houses, use stoves and oven, internet, cellphones, not caves and they drive cars -- things that our "Paleo ancestors" did not do.

It is not "Paleolithic lifestyle". It merely is ANTI-GRAIN and low carb diet. So get real. As much as I'm not into the vegan diet, at least they are more upfront with naming their diet. Call it what it is.

Which is why if you want to label your diet, better to base it off from the cultural cuisine it has evolved from.
    Not to mention Paleolothic people drank UNTREATED water, suck marrow from bones, and ate with dirty hands.:laugh:

IDEA Fitness member
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/863932-almond-meal-pizza-crust

I'm not Paleo, but I can't have wheat (digestive disorder) so I've been making this. In fact, I had it tonight. Tastes like some delicious kind of artisan thin crust. Super tasty and super easy. :drinker:

ETA: Reading the posts and, as usual, there's a pissing contest going on. I'm just not understanding why everyone gets so butthurt about what other people eat. Who cares? :yawn:
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Paleo bread isn't that an oxymoron?
    So call it something else.

If she likes it, and it fits her goals, who cares?
    Well actually a lot of people do. Labels mean a lot. If you promote something as Paleo it goes along with the flawed concept of Paleo. You tell everyone it's the caveman diet then you back peddle just so you can include certain other things within the diet. (which what the Paleo industry and supporters have started to do)

Paleo bread is just another example of why the Paleo concept is so flawed. Eat what you want I have no problem with that but please stop trying to pretend it's something it's not

But if it's made from all things that are paleo (almonds, coconut, etc) how is it not paleo?

Do you have to bake it? I just think it's funny it's called Paleo bread when bread itself is not allowed on Paleo. You'll eat bread, but you won't eat a pizza crust made of cheese because it's not allowed.

What's allowed is an easier thing for me to answer, which includes vegetables, nuts, fruits, meats, etc

The bread comes from everything that is allowed. So hm.

So it's allowable because it doesn't have wheat in it? I am genuinely confused as to why it's allowed. How do you bake bread with no flour and yeast?

The grind almonds, coconut & seeds and use that to make it. No yeast is required. I'm not a baker, so I can't exactly go into the very detail about it.

I'm not even asking if you agree with my choice- I'm asking about the taste.

I don't even care what you eat! I was just asking why it was allowed and what makes it okay. Geez... :grumble:

I know same here...but god forbid we ask questions about this scared Paleo diet...

I love the way - poking fun at - is now being passed off as asking questions!

But you are right I to cannot comprehend how modern language has allowed itself to infringe on a diet which is based on trying not to eat food that were supposedly not readily available or as calorie dense as the food we possibly ate through our evolutionary process (plus I believe the model for this was based on northern hemisphere diets, which were more based on meat - possibly!).

So to stop causing confusion for people who are struggling to process this concept that paleo is not a literal copy of an ancestral diet (which was basically eating anything that moved - even hippos, depending on geographical location), we should not call it paleo bread but use the same language they would have a million years ago for a nut flour loaf and call it:

Paleo UG!

Would that be better for you guys?
  • tennisdude2004
    Options
    the biggest problem with Paleo is that it labels itself as Paleo, but it is far from Paleolothic.

Most "Paleo" eaters of today are not hunters and gatherers and they live in man-made houses, use stoves and oven, internet, cellphones, not caves and they drive cars -- things that our "Paleo ancestors" did not do.

It is not "Paleolithic lifestyle". It merely is ANTI-GRAIN and low carb diet. So get real. As much as I'm not into the vegan diet, at least they are more upfront with naming their diet. Call it what it is.

Which is why if you want to label your diet, better to base it off from the cultural cuisine it has evolved from.
    Not to mention Paleolothic people drank UNTREATED water, suck marrow from bones, and ate with dirty hands.:laugh:

IDEA Fitness member

People still eat marrow from bones (bone soup). It is very nutritional.

In fact most of te nutrition from animals come from the fat, offal, bones marrow.
  • fificrazy
    fificrazy Posts: 234
    Options
    Ordering bread on the internet?

Definitely not worth immortality (or whatever it is those Paleo people promise you).
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

Definitely not worth immortality (or whatever it is those Paleo people promise you).

I don't think they are offering you magic read, just bread not made from wheat.

So from a personal experience of not eating wheat not - I suppose it offers you something to use as a sandwich outer which will not give you indigestion or stomach upsets, if you happen to be intolerant to wheat in any way shape or form.

Not sure it will make to live longer - then again not sure they market it as such.

As far as buying it off the internet - I would probably assume it is over priced.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    I wrote a blog post about palaeolithic bread. It includes a recipe for what is quite possibly not only palaeolithic bread, but actually a recipe that's doable with only middle palaeolithic techology. Therefore technically speaking it'd be middle palaeolithic bread.

Warning: contains humourous references to middle palaeolithic culture that may offend the sensibilities of modern people

https://cavepeopleandstuff.wordpress.com/2013/04/30/paleo-bread-recipe/
  • neandermagnon
    Options

I agree. :drinker: I have the same issue with the paleo diet.

Hunter-gatherers (whether modern or palaeolithic) don't/didn't get fat because they have/had to hunt or gather their food before they can/could eat it. Our palaeolithic ancestors didn't sit at desks in front of computer screens all day then drive home in cars, get their salary paid directly into their bank account then order food over the telephone to be delivered to their home.

The take-home message for modern people should be that we need to be a lot more active than we are. Yes a balanced diet is important too, but you can achieve that without cutting out entire food groups or demonising food, and even if your weight is in the healthy BMI range, if you're sedentary you're setting yourself up for illnesses in later life. Everyone should exercise (barring actual medical conditions or disabilities that make exercise impossible or dangerous... even with most medical conditions and disabilities, some kind of exercise is still possible, so there are few exceptions to the "everyone should exercise" statement).
  • Justkeepswimmin
    Justkeepswimmin Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Yes I have used it - it is more expensive than most GF breads; but I will recommend the Jullian Bakery carb 0 the Cinnamon flavored w/ some almond butter is quite good.

The Paleo LIGHT toasted for a sandwich is okay but 1) never eat NOT TOASTED 2) NEVER eat as just toast and butter have a sandwich with it. 3) Have a lot of water nearby - its dry.
  • Justkeepswimmin
    Justkeepswimmin Posts: 777 Member
    Options

It has to be up there with vegetarian bacon :laugh:

Can you believe there is actually vegetarian "bacon"? :noway: :laugh:

It makes perfect sense. Ethical vegans/vegetarians who perviously liked bacon still crave the taste of bacon.

98% of people who are veg didn't choose it because they like the taste of tofu and hate the taste of cheeseburgers, they choose it because their morals have more sway than their tastebuds.

That having been said, veg bacon is super gross.

I guess I'm the 2% of people who chose to be veg b/c I think meat is ICKI and not because of morals. I think sustainable humane farm raised animals are morally acceptable; but my body can't stomach the idea of eating dead flesh. Regardless veg bacon is okay if you use lots of veggie mayo and tomatoes for your BLT - but not on its own :) What meat do I miss most- - I think it's not the taste of meat that I miss but the ease of protein preparation? Since going GF being a vegetarian is insanely hard....because I can't eat MOST of my fake meats. I eat tofu sparingly (because of the soy danger) and the Chez Marie's because they are the only GF burger I can find that isn't bad. The pecan one tastes like meatloaf (at least I think it does meat eaters say I've been away too long to know how it really tasted...)
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

Hunter-gatherers (whether modern or palaeolithic) don't/didn't get fat because they have/had to hunt or gather their food before they can/could eat it. Our palaeolithic ancestors didn't sit at desks in front of computer screens all day then drive home in cars, get their salary paid directly into their bank account then order food over the telephone to be delivered to their home.

The take-home message for modern people should be that we need to be a lot more active than we are. Yes a balanced diet is important too, but you can achieve that without cutting out entire food groups or demonising food, and even if your weight is in the healthy BMI range, if you're sedentary you're setting yourself up for illnesses in later life. Everyone should exercise (barring actual medical conditions or disabilities that make exercise impossible or dangerous... even with most medical conditions and disabilities, some kind of exercise is still possible, so there are few exceptions to the "everyone should exercise" statement).

Yes we all know that's your issue!

That horse is dead. Lol
  • neandermagnon
    Options

Yes we all know that's your issue!

That horse is dead. Lol

yep. dead buried and fossilised

but my hobby is palaeoanthropology and I like fossils
  • fificrazy
    fificrazy Posts: 234
    Options

I don't think they are offering you magic read, just bread not made from wheat.

So from a personal experience of not eating wheat not - I suppose it offers you something to use as a sandwich outer which will not give you indigestion or stomach upsets, if you happen to be intolerant to wheat in any way shape or form.

Not sure it will make to live longer - then again not sure they market it as such.

As far as buying it off the internet - I would probably assume it is over priced.

LOL, your response... I was being facetious...
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    So call it something else.

If she likes it, and it fits her goals, who cares?
    Well actually a lot of people do. Labels mean a lot. If you promote something as Paleo it goes along with the flawed concept of Paleo. You tell everyone it's the caveman diet then you back peddle just so you can include certain other things within the diet. (which what the Paleo industry and supporters have started to do)

Paleo bread is just another example of why the Paleo concept is so flawed. Eat what you want I have no problem with that but please stop trying to pretend it's something it's not

But if it's made from all things that are paleo (almonds, coconut, etc) how is it not paleo?

Most things in the end are made up from other things which could be considered Paleo, so you can eat anything ;)
    More seriously now, if you like X or Y brand of bread, go for it. Depending on the ingredeints, it could be even good for you, who knoes? But bread, and especially store bought bread in a package, together with the word Paleo, it sounds like a joke. Wheat free, possibly. High in protein, again very likely. But "paleo" ?
  • ninerbuff
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

People still eat marrow from bones (bone soup). It is very nutritional.

In fact most of te nutrition from animals come from the fat, offal, bones marrow.
    I do when I can.:smile: Usually with ox tail.

IDEA Fitness member
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    DO NOT BE CRITICAL IF YOU DO NOT READ EVERYTHING. Reiteration is annoying as heck.

DO NOT START A FORUM POST IF YOU ARE ANNOYED BY OPINIONS THAT DIFFER FROM YOURS.

Didn't ask for your opinions on anything but the taste sweetie. Which you strangely didn't comment on, hm.

The forum rules are found in the ToS. :wink:
  • ninerbuff
    Options

Should probably mention that palaeolithic ancestors may have also went a day or two with little or no food and averaged only eating once a day. A far cry from people on Paleo diets who may be eating 6 times a day PLUS snacks.

IDEA Fitness member
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    As mentioned, Paleo doesn't include bread. If the intention was to ask about taste, then OP should have just asked "Does this bread taste good?" Certainly just that question by itself would have reduced this to only a page or 2 long.

IDEA Fitness member

tumblr_lz2ozkEWrR1qe2vul.gif
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I guess I'm the 2% of people who chose to be veg b/c I think meat is ICKI and not because of morals. I think sustainable humane farm raised animals are morally acceptable; but my body can't stomach the idea of eating dead flesh. Regardless veg bacon is okay if you use lots of veggie mayo and tomatoes for your BLT - but not on its own :) What meat do I miss most- - I think it's not the taste of meat that I miss but the ease of protein preparation? Since going GF being a vegetarian is insanely hard....because I can't eat MOST of my fake meats. I eat tofu sparingly (because of the soy danger) and the Chez Marie's because they are the only GF burger I can find that isn't bad. The pecan one tastes like meatloaf (at least I think it does meat eaters say I've been away too long to know how it really tasted...)
    I'd like to see what would happen if you turned into a zombie on the "Walking Dead". Would you go for a plant or chase down Rick and company!:laugh:

IDEA Fitness member
This discussion has been closed.