Artificial Sweetener Demonizing

124»

Replies

• jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Absolutely ;) Don't get what the big deal is anyway? Opinions vary, a lot of people getting all pissy for what? Cause somebody didn't share their opinion?

You're entitled to your own opinion, but you're not entitled to your own facts.

You mean we can't go with "I reject your reality and substitute my own?"

darn. :cry:

Well I do that all the time, but mostly because the "reality" of so many people is anything but!
  • jmv7117
    jmv7117 Posts: 891 Member
    At least we know how the body responds to natural sweeteners.

Indeed we do. It pretty much doesn't.

The body doesn't respond to natural sweeteners? If that's the case, why the need for artificial ones?
  • jonnythan
    Never said I was

Indeed, indeed. No one got pissy, except maybe you, who started calling people names.

Yeah but you we're being a **** lol

Look, I was serious when I said the mods take name-calling seriously.
  • jonnythan
    At least we know how the body responds to natural sweeteners.

Indeed we do. It pretty much doesn't.

The body doesn't respond to natural sweeteners? If that's the case, why the need for artificial ones?

Because they are delicious.
  • 32sami
    32sami Posts: 380 Member
    lol Fine, I'll use my words ;)
  • runningagainstmyself
    runningagainstmyself Posts: 616 Member
    THIS.
    But don’t tell people it’s bad for them. They actually already know this, but they don’t care.

Well, what I do know is that I don't care because real science hasn't proven that it's bad.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Never said I was

Indeed, indeed. No one got pissy, except maybe you, who started calling people names.

Look, I was serious when I said the mods take name-calling seriously.

True story.

Even when they're asterisks.

CG#1 & CG#17 to be precise.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    lol Fine, I'll use my words ;)

Is the wink supposed to mean you're trying to be cute or something? :huh:
  • I use artificial sweeteners for my tea.
    Which is what I drink the most of besides water.

I can drink unsweetened, but that extra bit of sweetness from a packet really helps.
    Works for me, it doesn't hinder me, so to each their own.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Never said I was

You might wanna tone it down with the cursing/name calling.
  • Everyone should be against artificial sweeteners because they are part of the reason we are experiencing an obesity epidemic, whether they are low in calories or not, everything from high fructose corn syrup to aspartame has been linked to obesity. And if they are consuming sweets despite knowing that they are unhealthy, they likely are making other poor nutrition decisions as well.

If you don't think that other people's lousy food choices affects you, you should find out how taxpayers pick up the tab when people can't afford to pay their medical bills, or how your health insurance costs are higher because of other people's poor health.

Not to mention that even though people will be too polite to say something to a person's face, friends and coworkers definitely judge what they see others eating and drinking. One may have a small window of opportunity in their 20s or early 30s to be able to get away with being willfully naive, but the older one gets, the more they won't be given the benefit of the doubt.
  • jonnythan
    Everyone should be against artificial sweeteners because they are part of the reason we are experiencing an obesity epidemic, whether they are low in calories or not, everything from high fructose corn syrup to aspartame has been linked to obesity. And if they are consuming sweets despite knowing that they are unhealthy, they likely are making other poor nutrition decisions as well.

If you don't think that other people's lousy food choices affects you, you should find out how taxpayers pick up the tab when people can't afford to pay their medical bills, or how your health insurance costs are higher because of other people's poor health.

Not to mention that even though people will be too polite to say something to a person's face, friends and coworkers definitely judge what they see others eating and drinking. One may have a small window of opportunity in their 20s or early 30s to be able to get away with being willfully naive, but the older one gets, the more they won't be given the benefit of the doubt.

There's a lot of nonsense in here. Artificial sweeteners do not cause obesity. Artificial sweeteners do not cause people to get sick and rack up medical bills. Not sure what you're even getting at with the being judgy mcjudgepants in the last paragraph there.
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Everyone should be against artificial sweeteners because they are part of the reason we are experiencing an obesity epidemic, whether they are low in calories or not, everything from high fructose corn syrup to aspartame has been linked to obesity. And if they are consuming sweets despite knowing that they are unhealthy, they likely are making other poor nutrition decisions as well.

No. People are obese because they eat too much. Period.
  • Oi_Sunshine
    Oi_Sunshine Posts: 819 Member
    I think it tastes like crap. If other people like crap, that's ok by me. As long as they don't put it in my food or drinks, I don't care.

While on this topic, why cant I find pickled ginger without aspartame for my sushi? What's up with that?

It's the sugar in the sushi rice that is causing you to gain weight

I just use regular rice so I dodged a bullet there. Whew!
  • jofjltncb6

I wish your food diary wasn't private so I could evaluate your food choices.

And I know that people judge what I'm eating and drinking*...

...and I'm a very healthy 42 year old guy w/ low body fat.

In other words, the presence of judgement doesn't mean the behavior is wrong.

(And I didn't even address the more glaringly bogus parts of your post. I'll leave those for others.)

ETA: * some of that judgement is provided by MFP members.
  • jonnythan

And I know that people judge what I'm eating and drinking...

(And I didn't even address the more glaringly bogus parts of your post. I'll leave those for others.)

It's always the ones who are most judgmental about others' food choices that have the most privacy on their profiles and diaries.
  • jofjltncb6

And I know that people judge what I'm eating and drinking...

It's always the ones who are most judgmental about others' food choices that have the most privacy on their profiles and diaries.

You've noticed that too, huh?

I mean, everyone has the right to their own food diary privacy settings...but it seems just a little disingenuous to be so vocal about other people's food while keeping yours hidden.

My favorite was when one of the food critics with a hidden food diary called me out for my 19g of Hershey's syrup...because HFCS meant I must obviously be unhealthy...because context and dose is irrelevant in the evaluation of cleanness.
This discussion has been closed.