My calorie goal hard to reach, any suggestions?

Options
Hey everyone, my calorie goal is like 1750, I'm 215 pounds, aiming for 2 lbs a week, and all the healthy foods that I eat, are so low in calories, it's difficult to even reach 1200.

for example, this morning, spinach, bacon, egg muffins (crack an egg in a muffin sheet, wrap bacon around it, and top off with spinach), and 1 piece of whole wheat bread.

lunch, mrs pauls fish sandwich filet sandwich with daves insanity sauce (the best, most extreme hot sauce ever invented I do believe), with spinach instead of lettuce, tomato and onion slice with 1 slice of american cheese. And boiled kale greens.

for dinner (haven't had yet) I'll be having grilled chicken with spinach, baby bok choy, collard greens.

for a snack earlier I had a protein shake by muscle milk, All of this seems to be pretty balanced, but was under 1200 calories ie starvation mode, had to eat a protein bar wholla go just to get to 1280.

All of my meals feel me up quite well, and I walked 2 miles earlier, about to go on a 3 mile walk in like 10 minutes. Any suggestions, or would 1200 a day be about right since the actual goal is 1750?

Replies

• gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    Eat calorie dense foods like avocado, add in olive oil when you cook, eat nuts, & add full fat dairy products. My go to fix when I need about 200 cals is a big spoonful of peanut butter.

Eating healthier is fantastic, but you need to meet your calorie goal to make sure your nutritional needs are fulfilled.

Here's a great link:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1175494-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • aaroneous8989
    Options
    here's an update real quick, forgot to mention, when I walk 2 miles of the morning I burn an average of at least 345 calories walking carrying my 15 lb weight, and of the evenings after lunch or dinner, I walk for 3 miles, and burn about 460 calories, by doing this my calories remaining are going to be about 1200, and my goal is 1750. I eat good sized meals throughout the day as you can see, and use muscle milk and fiber one bars, but with my walking, seems like I'm not getting enough calories, yet I'm full throughout the day. I'm a little confused... Should I just not walk as much?
  • aaroneous8989
    Options
    Eat calorie dense foods like avocado, add in olive oil when you cook, eat nuts, & add full fat dairy products. My go to fix when I need about 200 cals is a big spoonful of peanut butter.

Eating healthier is fantastic, but you need to meet your calorie goal to make sure your nutritional needs are fulfilled.

Here's a great link:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1175494-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

tried the olive oil, and do use it when I decide to fry my foods, but when I find it under the calorie food finder, my sodium shoots up. Don't want a lot of water retention, as I've lost a lot of my gut so far this past month of diet and walking before creating my account on here.
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    Why not just eat what you'd normally eat before trying to lose weight, but less of it? Eating diet food just sets you up to fail when you go on maintenance.
  • gypsy_spirit
    Options

Here's a great link:

tried the olive oil, and do use it when I decide to fry my foods, but when I find it under the calorie food finder, my sodium shoots up. Don't want a lot of water retention, as I've lost a lot of my gut so far this past month of diet and walking before creating my account on here.

Do you like ice cream? Maybe use your extra calories to have a treat every day. As far as walking, if that's what you want to do and you like it - YAY! I used to like to walk until I picked up a barbell. You have to find what you enjoy. As far as how much you're walking - The more you walk, the more calories you burn, the more food your body will need to function properly. It's about balance.

Water retention is short lived. It's not true weight gain. However, if you don't want the added sodium, then you just find other foods that are calorie dense. You'll make your calories without feeling stuffed.

I could go on, but this link really explains a lot of this.
  • aaroneous8989
    Options
    Why not just eat what you'd normally eat before trying to lose weight, but less of it? Eating diet food just sets you up to fail when you go on maintenance.

the reason why is when I started my diet and walking on March 27th, I weight 230 pounds, I've already dropped 15-18 eating clean, like the foods I've posted (sometimes I do different kinds of fish,but always have my greens, and sometimes some fruit), and the last time I ate some food I used to eat, I got real sick when trying to exercise 2 hours later while walking, sharp side pains, and just weak. I enjoy the foods I'm eating, I've been doing it for a month, so I don't want to go back to all the sodium and stuff I was eating before...
  • jenmom2myboys
    jenmom2myboys Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    almonds and pistachios (unsalted) or add almond butter or pb to apples.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    I've never understood the "I can't get enough calorie in" argument. It's sooooooo easy. Drink milk, drink juice, drink soda, eat peanut butter, eat ice cream, eat cheese, eat beef, eat nuts, eat rice, eat pasta. It's not difficult...

esrlhj.gif
  • hill8570
    Options
    tried the olive oil, and do use it when I decide to fry my foods, but when I find it under the calorie food finder, my sodium shoots up.

Um, I'm confused. For all practical purposes, olive oil has no sodum.
  • aaroneous8989
    Options
    Do you like ice cream? Maybe use your extra calories to have a treat every day. As far as walking, if that's what you want to do and you like it - YAY! I used to like to walk until I picked up a barbell. You have to find what you enjoy. As far as how much you're walking - The more you walk, the more calories you burn, the more food your body will need to function properly. It's about balance.

Water retention is short lived. It's not true weight gain. However, if you don't want the added sodium, then you just find other foods that are calorie dense. You'll make your calories without feeling stuffed.

I do like ice cream, and I enjoy lifting weights to, but wont get to start regular in a gym til tomorrow, start my new job, and there's a free gym up from it, so I'll be hitting the weights 3-4 times a week, while still doing some walking, either on elliptical, treadmill, or a couple miles from the house.

Should I post on a new topic in a different thread about what my calorie goal needs should be once I start lifting 3-4 times a week?
  • aaroneous8989
    Options
    tried the olive oil, and do use it when I decide to fry my foods, but when I find it under the calorie food finder, my sodium shoots up.

Um, I'm confused. For all practical purposes, olive oil has no sodum.

wonder why it shows my levels go up on the calorie counter when I put that in on here...?
  • gypsy_spirit
    Options

I do like ice cream, and I enjoy lifting weights to, but wont get to start regular in a gym til tomorrow, start my new job, and there's a free gym up from it, so I'll be hitting the weights 3-4 times a week, while still doing some walking, either on elliptical, treadmill, or a couple miles from the house.

Should I post on a new topic in a different thread about what my calorie goal needs should be once I start lifting 3-4 times a week?

Weights will be good. Maybe when you are able to hit the gym more, you can cut back on all that walking. You'll keep burning the fat without all the cardio making you need a lot higher calories. Just a thought.
  • hill8570
    Options

the reason why is when I started my diet and walking on March 27th, I weight 230 pounds, I've already dropped 15-18 eating clean, like the foods I've posted (sometimes I do different kinds of fish,but always have my greens, and sometimes some fruit), and the last time I ate some food I used to eat, I got real sick when trying to exercise 2 hours later while walking, sharp side pains, and just weak. I enjoy the foods I'm eating, I've been doing it for a month, so I don't want to go back to all the sodium and stuff I was eating before...

kk..if you like what you're eating and plan to stick with it when you hit maintenance, all good.

Sounds like this 1200 you're having trouble hitting is your *net* -- i.e., calories in minus exercise. If your gross calories (before exercise) is 1700+ and you're feeling OK (not lightheaded, tired, grouchy, etc.) I'd just let it ride. If you start dropping weight faster than goal, then some of the suggested calorie dense foods would be in order. Personally, if I think I'm getting a bit behind on calories, I'll pop a ribeye on the grill :-D
  • EllieB_5
    EllieB_5 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. I've only had 500 calories today and I feel so full! I use hemp hearts, real mayo, cheddar cheese, coconut oil, heavy cream, any fatty/creamy dressings/dips, or chia seeds to increase my calories. Tonight it will be an extreme challenge to get 1000-1200 calories in to me without blowing my other goals. Most likely it will be a mayo-y/cheese-y/sour creamy kind of night.
  • asciiqwerty
    asciiqwerty Posts: 565 Member
    Options

wonder why it shows my levels go up on the calorie counter when I put that in on here...?

many of the entries in the database have been put in by users accuracy varies unfortunately
    it may be the the item you chose from the database does have added sugar and therefore sodium
    it's more likely a mistake and you should chose another option from the database

fyi [source: USDA NDL http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods/show/631?fg=&man=&lfacet=&format=&count=&max=25&offset=&sort=&qlookup=olive+oil]
    sodium content 2mg per 100g of olive oil

as an aside, it is also possible that you might be underestimating you calories (can't see your diary so hard to know), the following thread is really helpful, especially on selecting items from the database and weighing solids measuring liquids
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1234699-logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide
  • Clendenen49
    Clendenen49 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Haha do not eat ice cream. It will just lead to increased blood sugar levels and insulin in bloodstream and halt progress a lot. Try eating stir fry with bunch of meat and vegetables easy way to get your greens and protein .
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Haha do not eat ice cream. It will just lead to increased blood sugar levels and insulin in bloodstream and halt progress a lot. Try eating stir fry with bunch of meat and vegetables easy way to get your greens and protein .

You're joking right? This is a joke...
  • Clendenen49
    Clendenen49 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    How is it a joke?
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options

What? .... *Spoon of ice cream in mouth* You mean me losing 53 lbs while eating ice cream was a lie?
  • Abells
    Abells Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    all about the other suggestions for calorie dense foods

Also do you weigh your foods? Could be underestimating
    do you wear an HRM on your walks?
This discussion has been closed.