My calorie goal hard to reach, any suggestions?

Options

Replies

• Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Haha do not eat ice cream. It will just lead to increased blood sugar levels and insulin in bloodstream and halt progress a lot. Try eating stir fry with bunch of meat and vegetables easy way to get your greens and protein .

Yeah, no.

Let's see...last Sunday I had not 1 but 2 cupcakes. On Monday I did that again. They fit into my daily calorie goal...Tuesday I had lost 2 lbs.
    Thats nice and everything but OP said he was at 1200 calories and he wanted to hit 1750. Thats 550 calories missing, If he replaced that with ice cream or other junk every day it will be less effective than nutrient rich foods. Not empty calories.

And I didn't see anywhere where people said to do that every day.

It's about moderation NOT deprivation.

Where did he ever say he was feeling deprived?
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    Wait..... wait...... this is a 25 year old GUY with a TDEE of only 2300? What is wrong with this picture?

I weight 215, 5'10", 25, listed my activity as lightly active, since I don't get to get to a gym regularly, and I take long walks (that's what it said under lightly active), clicked wanted to lose 2 lbs a week, and it said my goal was 1750 (I could be wrong, maybe I need 2800 to maintain weight, not sure exactly, but I just assumed MFP subtracted like 500-650 calories from what I need to eat to maintain, so that's where I got 2300 for my total to maintain, could be off by a hundred or 2, but dif websites have gave me different goals for maintaining weight, so not sure which to believe)

I'm going to guess it's a little off but you'll be able to better tell in time. For perspective, I'm 5'3.5 " 116 lbs and a girl and I lose weight around 2150ish, just weightlifting 3x a week, walking and taking care of my kids.

That's actually a very nice weight for you at your height. But since you lose weight around 2150ish, I'm wondering why MFP told me my goal is 1750 =/ and I am 215 pounds and 5'10"... Starting to wonder if the calorie thingy is truly correct, unless it's telling me that because I'm shooting for 2 lb's a week instead of 1/2 or 1

MFP tells me I need 1200. TDEE calculators tell me I need 1750 to maintain weight. Just gotta find what works for you but finding a middle ground is ideal. Hunger cues aren't reliable to know if you're eating enough, as Leptin levels change after sustained intake. For me, I would rather have more calories than sustain a low calorie intake and have no wiggle room, should I need to.
  • aaroneous8989
    Options
    Haha do not eat ice cream. It will just lead to increased blood sugar levels and insulin in bloodstream and halt progress a lot. Try eating stir fry with bunch of meat and vegetables easy way to get your greens and protein .

*sigh*

In what way will eating at or below his calorie target "halt progress a lot"? That makes zero sense at all.

(Hopefully this has already been addressed in the pages I haven't read yet...)
    Because there is a lot more factors than just calories.

Don't you find it even a little bit thought-provoking that you're in such a strong minority with this belief that you can actually increase mass while in a calorie deficit (or decrease mass while in a calorie surplus)? Just a little bit? No?

I wish the NASM had a Board to which I could report your posts to have your CPT license revoked for malpractice.

quoting the first part of your post, not the NASM part. My goal is to hit about 195 and maintain, since I'll still have fat to turn to muscle, because my main goal is this, where I'll be working at a prison, say for instance, if an inmate tries to screw with me, and I end up grabbing him by the arm, I want his first thoughts to be =0 OH S**T. I don't want to surplus much after that, because I don't want to fail, I just want to get lean and cut first, (something I've never been, nor ever tried to do), then I'll try to bulk up, but I think 195 to 185 seems like a good weight to start cutting up, even if I start hitting the weights before I reach my goal of 185-195, it may help with the process of building muscle, But I am going to do what one of the girls said and just make all my meals contain more calories, like adding cheese and wrap bacon around a piece of chicken, etc..
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    quoting the first part of your post, not the NASM part. My goal is to hit about 195 and maintain, since I'll still have fat to turn to muscle, because my main goal is this, where I'll be working at a prison, say for instance, if an inmate tries to screw with me, and I end up grabbing him by the arm, I want his first thoughts to be =0 OH S**T. I don't want to surplus much after that, because I don't want to fail, I just want to get lean and cut first, (something I've never been, nor ever tried to do), then I'll try to bulk up, but I think 195 to 185 seems like a good weight to start cutting up, even if I start hitting the weights before I reach my goal of 185-195, it may help with the process of building muscle, But I am going to do what one of the girls said and just make all my meals contain more calories, like adding cheese and wrap bacon around a piece of chicken, etc..

You can't "turn fat into muscle" that's not how it works. Unless somebody is very obese in which case different circumstances apply, this is how it works: If you're running a calorie deficit you will always lose fat & muscle. If you're running a calorie surplus you will always gain fat & muscle. If you're running at maintenance you will maintain your weight, but it is possible to slowly increase muscle mass and slowly decrease body fat. Through proper macronutrient manipulation, strength training that incorporates progressive overload, and proper calorie deficit or surplus size, you can minimize muscle loss during a calorie deficit and you can minimize fat gain during a calorie surplus.
  • Clendenen49
    Clendenen49 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

Don't you find it even a little bit thought-provoking that you're in such a strong minority with this belief that you can actually increase mass while in a calorie deficit (or decrease mass while in a calorie surplus)? Just a little bit? No?

I wish the NASM had a Board to which I could report your posts to have your CPT license revoked for malpractice.
    [/quote]

Because the general public has been mislead to believe what they want to hear. They find excuses to eat junk without feeling guilty about it. I know i'm in a very small minority but which does not mean I am wrong. Granted if you burn more energy than you take you will lose weight , BUT that is not always FAT. What that weight is consist of (muscle, fat, water), varies, with the quality / quantity of your calories, how much you take in at sitting, timing, exercise and much more. If i'm allowed to eat 2500 on a calorie deficit diet and I eat it all right before bed. Are you saying I will not gain any fat? Or will I wake up even more ripped than the day before?
    As far as my part time job as a cpt I have not had any problems with any of my programs I create for my clients, so I do understand there is no changing your thought about this because you are close minded and this is pointless i just hope others who read this can at least think outside what they have been taught.

*off topic but marijuana is another thing people are misinformed about, and look what is happening all around the states. Legalization.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options

Because the general public has been mislead to believe what they want to hear. They find excuses to eat junk without feeling guilty about it. I know i'm in a very small minority but which does not mean I am wrong. Granted if you burn more energy than you take you will lose weight , BUT that is not always FAT. What that weight is consist of (muscle, fat, water), varies, with the quality / quantity of your calories, how much you take in at sitting, timing, exercise and much more. If i'm allowed to eat 2500 on a calorie deficit diet and I eat it all right before bed. Are you saying I will not gain any fat? Or will I wake up even more ripped than the day before?
    As far as my part time job as a cpt I have not had any problems with any of my programs I create for my clients, so I do understand there is no changing your thought about this because you are close minded and this is pointless i just hope others who read this can at least think outside what they have been taught.

*off topic but marijuana is another thing people are misinformed about, and look what is happening all around the states. Legalization.

Dear God. I just can't even….no.
  • AJ_G
    Options

In this case, you are in the minority and you are very very wrong. Every time you post you say something even more wrong. Meal size and meal timing importance was refuted like 10 years ago. It absolutely does not matter how many meals you eat a day or how big each meal is as long as your calorie intake and macronutrient intakes are the same every day. You sound like a body builder from the 80's. Get with the times man, do a little research...
  • Clendenen49
    Options

You can't "turn fat into muscle" that's not how it works. Unless somebody is very obese in which case different circumstances apply, this is how it works: If you're running a calorie deficit you will always lose fat & muscle. If you're running a calorie surplus you will always gain fat & muscle. If you're running at maintenance you will maintain your weight, but it is possible to slowly increase muscle mass and slowly decrease body fat. Through proper macronutrient manipulation, strength training that incorporates progressive overload, and proper calorie deficit or surplus size, you can minimize muscle loss during a calorie deficit and you can minimize fat gain during a calorie surplus.

Yes true but I get the vibe on this website that people just want to eat whatever they want and as long as they stay under maintenance calories they will look good and lose fat. Not true.
  • Clendenen49
    Options

In this case, you are in the minority and you are very very wrong. Every time you post you say something even more wrong. Meal size and meal timing importance was refuted like 10 years ago. It absolutely does not matter how many meals you eat a day or how big each meal is as long as your calorie intake and macronutrient intakes are the same every day. You sound like a body builder from the 80's. Get with the times man, do a little research...

okay now im done with you. meal timing means nothing .haha wow. dont get protein after your workout or what?
  • AJ_G
    Options

okay now im done with you. meal timing means nothing .haha wow. dont get protein after your workout or what?

Dude, please read any scientific papers on nutrition ever...

This is why I tell people not to take nutritional advice from personal trainers. Seems like most of you have no clue what you're talking about.

Read up: http://www.jissn.com/content/pdf/1550-2783-10-53.pdf
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options

Yes true but I get the vibe on this website that people just want to eat whatever they want and as long as they stay under maintenance calories they will look good and lose fat. Not true.

While I still aim to meet macros and micros, I do eat what I want...and I have lost fat.. a significant amount at that.

205bc75.gif
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

So you believe meal timing is materially relevant for weight too??? (Do you promise you aren't long-con trolling us? C'mon, be honest here.)

I have moved my overall weight 20 pounds less and 15 pound more than my current weight. I can move it at will (over time) based on total calories and supported by almost three years of data. I've done this while eating strict paleo for an entire year and I've done it with a drastically freer approach. The math held up with each approach without any correlative difference in body composition.

And *I* am close-minded because I won't believe your...interesting theories??? LOL

For reference, here is my food diary: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/jofjltncb6

It looks to be more nutritionally diverse than yours. From your logic, I suppose I should be more ripped than I am...or something.

Literally SMH.

edit: to fix busted quotes.
  • Clendenen49
    Options
    Its cool just keep suggesting that people who are overweight can eat whatever they want and they'll get results as long they eat under maintenance calories.
  • aaroneous8989
    Options
    *off topic* I'm up for the marijuana legalization.. Always have been, used to smoke all the time in College, weird thing is, I was in awesome shape all through college, but when my wife got pregnant, I quit, because after college needed a job. I always enjoyed it after a day in the gym, helped me relax, and play music ;p. I'd rather smoke than take any kind of medicine if I could.

but back on topic. So when I drop to my weight of 195 or 185, if I maintain that weight, would I be able to build muscle, and get lean? if so, would I have to consume more calories and protein to get bigger (muscle wise)?
  • j6o4
    j6o4 Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Its cool just keep suggesting that people who are overweight can eat whatever they want and they'll get results as long they eat under maintenance calories.

You can eat whatever you want and get results, you just cant eat as much as you want, while paying attention to your macros
  • AJ_G
    Options

Stop twisting people's words. You absolutely SHOULDN'T eat whatever you want to stay under your maintenance calories and lose weight. You SHOULD hit certain macronutrient, micronutrient, and fiber goals every day. Now in order to do that, most of the food you eat is going to end up being nutritious, minimally processed food, but you can ALSO eat processed food or other food that you enjoy in moderation and it actually HELPS you stay on your diet and prevents binges. It's a win-win situation. Also, bottom line, even if you threw macronutrients aside, it can be argued that it is healthier for those who are obese to eat WHATEVER they want as long as they're losing weight than for them to eat "healthy" but maintain their weight. Getting to a healthy weight is the most important thing.
  • Clendenen49
    Options
    *off topic* I'm up for the marijuana legalization.. Always have been, used to smoke all the time in College, weird thing is, I was in awesome shape all through college, but when my wife got pregnant, I quit, because after college needed a job. I always enjoyed it after a day in the gym, helped me relax, and play music ;p. I'd rather smoke than take any kind of medicine if I could.

but back on topic. So when I drop to my weight of 195 or 185, if I maintain that weight, would I be able to build muscle, and get lean? if so, would I have to consume more calories and protein to get bigger (muscle wise)?
    I'd go about 250 calories a day higher than maintenance with 6-12 rep range workouts. This way you"ll gain .5 lbs every weeks of mostly muscle. make sure its good carbs because you wont grow with crap ice cream carbs
  • Clendenen49
    Options

Stop twisting people's words. You absolutely SHOULDN'T eat whatever you want to stay under your maintenance calories and lose weight. You SHOULD hit certain macronutrient, micronutrient, and fiber goals every day. Now in order to do that, most of the food you eat is going to end up being nutritious, minimally processed food, but you can ALSO eat processed food or other food that you enjoy in moderation and it actually HELPS you stay on your diet and prevents binges. It's a win-win situation. Also, bottom line, even if you threw macronutrients aside, it can be argued that it is healthier for those who are obese to eat WHATEVER they want as long as their losing their weight then for them to eat "healthy" but maintain their weight. Getting to a healthy weight is the most important thing.
    Im not twisting any words, a calorie is a calorie correct? so i eat 250 calories less than my maintenance ill lose fat no matter what i eat? now im confused what you original statement was.
  • AJ_G
    Options

Stop twisting people's words. You absolutely SHOULDN'T eat whatever you want to stay under your maintenance calories and lose weight. You SHOULD hit certain macronutrient, micronutrient, and fiber goals every day. Now in order to do that, most of the food you eat is going to end up being nutritious, minimally processed food, but you can ALSO eat processed food or other food that you enjoy in moderation and it actually HELPS you stay on your diet and prevents binges. It's a win-win situation. Also, bottom line, even if you threw macronutrients aside, it can be argued that it is healthier for those who are obese to eat WHATEVER they want as long as their losing their weight then for them to eat "healthy" but maintain their weight. Getting to a healthy weight is the most important thing.
    Im not twisting any words, a calorie is a calorie correct? so i eat 250 calories less than my maintenance ill lose fat no matter what i eat? now im confused what you original statement was.

YES
  • Clendenen49
    Options

You can eat whatever you want and get results, you just cant eat as much as you want, while paying attention to your macros

Those results are not necessarily good results. more likely I would increase my blood pressure and increase my chance of heart problems like most americans will
This discussion has been closed.