National Bike Challenge 2014

Options

Replies

• BigDog
    BigDog Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    @tress29

http://www.bicycleseats.com/backrest-bicycle-seat.html :bigsmile:

Seriously though... Just keep riding it will get better.
  • susanevenden
    Options
    I joined and shared it on my facebook page to spread the word.
  • ToughMudderAddict
    ToughMudderAddict Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I'm in! Just joined!
  • dr00
    dr00 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I just started biking daily about a week ago. I'm in! I'm excited to see how many miles I can get in this month.
  • Savlona
    Savlona Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Thanks, have registered. Although as I live in the UK, not sure I can truly take part, but hey ho, I cycle.

Do you go on the SkyRide? There is one in most big UK cities and the dates have just been published for this year.

Yes, it's the perfect family cycling event as they close the roads, so my sons can ride with me in safety instead of riding in the trike - although I still have to act as the sag wagon for the youngest on his balance bike. :)
  • tress29
    tress29 Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I got the bike out tonight, determined to ride at least a mile for the challenge. My seat was a little tender to start, but didn't bother me after the first few minutes. Since that was OK, I kept going. I ended up logging 2.5 miles. Thought about going further, but my legs are a little shaky, and the wind was picking up. We are expecting a good rain storm tonight, just ask my dog!
  • shyann_rayne
    shyann_rayne Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I joined! I just started a couple weeks ago riding. I ride local greenways and rails to trails 3 or 4 times a week. Slowly upping my miles a little at a time, hoping what little bit I am able to do helps!
  • BigDog
    Options
    Welcome to all the recent riders who have joined in. Glad to have you pedaling.

We are doing great. Here's the link to the MFP team profile page https://nationalbikechallenge.org/team/5521?page=1

Check it out, and join up if you haven't yet. (I'm currently at #11 on the leaderboard. Don't know if I will ever make it to the top 10 some of you are racking up some serious points!

KEEP PEDALING! :happy:
  • susanevenden
    Options
    If you only go out occasionally you may want something with more padding so that it doesn't hurt every time you decide to go on the bike.

I've done quite a bit of distance cycling and I have switched my saddle several times.

Over the long distance I find that gel chafes in a very nasty way. My current saddle, and I don't see that I will ever switch, is a Brooks leather saddle. It is all leather that moulds to your shape, there is no chafing and thus no weeping sores. They recommend using it for 60 or so miles (can't remember exactly) before you make up your mind. It is 100% refundable (online purchase). They have been making bike saddles for about 100 years.

I will never use anything but this saddle again.
  • skcardiog
    skcardiog Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Bump for later .
  • bbracken77
    bbracken77 Posts: 65
    Options
    We are going to sign up as well sounds like a fun challenge
  • fatninja111
    fatninja111 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Just joined! Looks like an awesome way to stay motivated...looking forward to updating my miles!

This is me: https://nationalbikechallenge.org/rider/30801
  • StraubreyR
    StraubreyR Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    Managed to get in 20+ miles in between rain storms today! Although I did crash once, and landed pretty hard on a boulder. Nothing broken I don't think. And the bike is fine. I have an old steel frame Trek, good thing it's nearly indestructible!
  • michelefrench
    michelefrench Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    training for 2 triathlons this summer so not biking as much as I'd like...but yesterday I completed in a mini tri as a benefit for a local childrens hospital - 10 minutes each event...I rode 4.8 miles in the 10 minutes - and ended up winning for longest ride...yaay wonder thighs :bigsmile:
  • tress29
    Options
    Rode part of my 4 miles on a bike with a cutout seat. Made a huge difference in pressure and heat buildup. And hey! I've ridden 5 days in a row. Mileage isn't much compared to some, but the challenge does reward consistency.
  • BigDog
    Options
    Almost 40 riders so far... See MFP profile page here: https://nationalbikechallenge.org/team/5521

Would love to see even more riders join in!

Remember this is not just about hard core bikers, this is about getting out and moving more, and helping to be a little more green. So don't be afraid to join in. Even if you only go for a couple 5 mile rides a week to the store it's still better than no rides. :smile:
  • itodd4019
    itodd4019 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Does this benefit anything, like a cause or anything? Or is it just to motivate each other and such? I ride about 100 miles a week, but I really don;t need another distraction. MFP is already sucking part of my day. I get involved and lose hours at a time. LOL
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    Just joined in and heading out now for a ride :) Wish I had seen this early
  • BigDog
    Options
    Does this benefit anything, like a cause or anything? Or is it just to motivate each other and such? I ride about 100 miles a week, but I really don;t need another distraction. MFP is already sucking part of my day. I get involved and lose hours at a time. LOL

It currently only seems to be about encouraging and motivating about environmental awareness (going greener) and becoming more active and healthy. Might be local groups doing some charity stuff but the national challenge is primarily a motivational vehicle at the moment.
  • tress29
    Options
    I ride about 100 miles a week, but I really don;t need another distraction. MFP is already sucking part of my day. I get involved and lose hours at a time. LOL
    Once you register, it only takes minutes a day to log your miles. And the MFP team could use the miles...