National Bike Challenge 2014

Options

Replies

• itodd4019
    itodd4019 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I ride about 100 miles a week, but I really don;t need another distraction. MFP is already sucking part of my day. I get involved and lose hours at a time. LOL
    Once you register, it only takes minutes a day to log your miles. And the MFP team could use the miles...

OK, I will go do it.
    edit: ok, I logged my 12 miles into the office, then I have 12 going home. I also joine the group.

What does MFP do with the points? Are we trying to win something?
  • tress29
    tress29 Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    Just a matter of pride!
  • itodd4019
    Options
    Good enuf for me! I will log there when I ride. Hard rain expected for Thursday. I drive on rain days. But I also throw down a 30 miler or so on Sunday mornings usually.
  • verdemujer
    verdemujer Posts: 1,397 Member
    Options
    Wow - I'm happy to see them getting up to their goal of 50,000 riders. I think our team is doing well! Now - weather - cooperate darn it.
  • itodd4019
    Options
    So- weather coming in today- 60% T-storms at 4:pm,,,,, BUT- I rode anyway!! Being a part of this group nudged me to make a good decision.

Sitting here dripping sweat and feeling good about it!

Thanks for the push to get me to join

Todd
  • tress29
    Options
    BUT- I rode anyway!! Being a part of this group nudged me to make a good decision.

I did that last week. By the time I got home it was almost dark, but I rode anyway. Our neighborhood is fairly well lit, and not much traffic. Last night, it was a no go. It was getting too dark AND still raining. I'll try to ride a little longer on my other days, but it hurts to miss the 20 points for logging!
  • cowbellsandcoffee
    cowbellsandcoffee Posts: 2,975 Member
    Options
    Sitting here dripping sweat and feeling good about it!

This should be the creed of all serious cyclists. :bigsmile:

2ddf4835-d4f9-4763-a5f8-7ed5a67bd470_zpsee83729a.jpg~original
  • Technolero
    Technolero Posts: 90
    Options
    I just joined the group. I synced with MapMyRide, but it only pulled my last week of data. I don't know if that is what it's supposed to do. I wish it brought in all of May because I have 340 miles already this month!
  • SallyFTW
    SallyFTW Posts: 36
    Options
    I just learnt how to cycle last month, so I'm up for this. Need a bit of practice.
  • sarainiowa
    sarainiowa Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I just registered and joined the team. Now, I need some not rainy days :-)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    This has been causing me to ride longer when I do go, but I really need to focus on riding more than once or twice a week. The problem is that I have it in my head that I shouldn't bother unless I have time for a long one, and of course it's sometimes dark when I get home from work. Next week I'm going to focus on commuting or at least going for a short ride in the morning when I can't commute. (I'm also being a baby about riding in the rain.)

Question for those who use MapMyRide--I've been carrying my phone in my jacket pocket and in the off chance that it might actually start getting to normal spring weather where I won't want to be riding in a jacket, where do you carry your phone? I have a bike bag where I'd normally keep it, but not sure if it would still work right for the GPS. Guess no reason it would not.
  • tress29
    Options
    I just joined the group. I synced with MapMyRide, but it only pulled my last week of data. I don't know if that is what it's supposed to do. I wish it brought in all of May because I have 340 miles already this month!

Can you just manually input the other days?
  • itodd4019
    Options
    OMG my ride was xso awesome this morning. Leaving the house and around the first bend I was leaning into the strongestblow ever. But I made the turn and yeeeeeehaw!!! I had a tail wind so strong I was flying!!! Even over the bridge my MINIMUM speed was 22 mph! That's livin baby!!

will log my 12 miles, or actually 24 miles (still gotta ride home). Sure hope the wind shifts!!
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    This has been causing me to ride longer when I do go, but I really need to focus on riding more than once or twice a week. The problem is that I have it in my head that I shouldn't bother unless I have time for a long one, and of course it's sometimes dark when I get home from work. Next week I'm going to focus on commuting or at least going for a short ride in the morning when I can't commute. (I'm also being a baby about riding in the rain.)

Question for those who use MapMyRide--I've been carrying my phone in my jacket pocket and in the off chance that it might actually start getting to normal spring weather where I won't want to be riding in a jacket, where do you carry your phone? I have a bike bag where I'd normally keep it, but not sure if it would still work right for the GPS. Guess no reason it would not.

Do you not have a cycling jersey? I just put my phone in one of the back pockets.
  • OldChief10
    OldChief10 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    all in!
  • Mezzle13
    Mezzle13 Posts: 32 Member
    Options

I have a phone holder on my handle bars which I then set up mapmyfitness on and I can see my mileage and times. It's waterproof and means I don't have to worry about carrying it. Plus I have tomtom on my phone so if I am exploring somewhere I don't know I get directions.

They don't cost much so for me it was a worthwhile investment
  • Mezzle13
    Mezzle13 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I think it is amazing and surreal that in total we have ridden 3,122 miles and burnt 169,259 calories! Amazing!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Do you not have a cycling jersey? I just put my phone in one of the back pockets.

I don't. I've been hesitant to get new cycling clothes until I'm closer to goal weight, and have just been riding in what I'd wear to run in, with an added jacket. Thinking about it, it's kind of stupid (I did the Katy Trail a few years ago at about the same weight I am now or a bit less in jeans, because I wouldn't get new bike shorts, which was definitely silly, although on other topics, I highly recommend the Katy Trail) and there's no reason not to get a jersey, which would solve the problem.

I also may look into a mount on my handlebars, which might be useful in general.
  • BigDog
    BigDog Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    46 Riders and over 4000 miles ridden! Yay Team MFP!!

Anybody else wanna join in? Let's get to 50 riders this week... :smile:

Here's the link to the team page: https://nationalbikechallenge.org/team/5521
  • joshuaminso
    joshuaminso Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Just signed up, should have done it earlier as I have ridden a solid 20+ miles the past couple weeks. It's ok though because our new bikes are due in this week and we plan on covering a lot of ground. We even chose one of our hotels for our honeymoon because they have free bikes to rent and a lot of areas to ride. I use map my ride to log everything.