Ephedrine?

Options

Replies

• FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    I haven't used it, but I knew a guy who did when I was in the Army. He died of heat stroke during his air assault school road march. We all went to air assault school, and we all did the 12 mile road march a couple of times a year, but he is the only person I knew to die of heat strike during it. Most of us did stuff like drinking coffee, taking ibuprofen, and sucking down energy gel (kinda like icing). They say that he overheated because of the ephedrine. This was before it was hard to get. I certainly wouldn't touch the stuff.
    Anecdotal BS. Ephedrine does NOT give you heat stroke and it's BS stories like this that pi** me off. I take a ephedrine/caffeine stack every day for the last 7 months without any problems, and my heart does not pound out of my chest.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Ephedrine can't be marketed for fat loss in the US but it can still be purchased through other means. Do any of you have experience with using this? What does it do? Is it a strong stimulant that is basically like a big dose of caffeine? I know that it has to be used in conjunction with intense exercise. Body builders seem to use various ephedrine stacks before a competition to help lose more body fat from what I know.

I'm thinking of trying to get ephedrine some time in the future but want to see if any of you have real experience with it.

No it's not just like a big dose of caffeine. It's more like a bit dose of meth but harder on your heart and with less risk of psychosis.

Unless you're in the market for a heart attack, stroke or just dicing with death in general, don't go there. It's not worth it.

Now that's just plain wrong. Ephedrine is *nothing* like meth. It is *much* closer to caffeine than amphetamines.

Isn't it possible to discourage someone from using a substance without exaggerations?
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    You knew someone who died while using this? That's scary. I guess cases like that are the reason the FDA makes ephedrine harder to get now. Can I still get the positive energy boosting effects on a smaller dosage?

So the fact that someone died, isn't enough for you to figure out this is a BAD idea?!?!?

Really now...There are no positive energy boosting effects from this product and it WILL damage your heart.

Right! I read this as: Someone died? That's sad. But I can still do this, right?

2066659_o.gif
  • FrenchMob
    Options
    3 famous athletes died because of using ephedra.

33 military personnel died because they used ephedra, prompting the military to ban it 2 years before the FDA.

17 confirmed civilian deaths linked to ephedra the year before it was banned.

Dude, what more do you need to hear?
    How many people die every year from taking tylenol and/or advil? I'll tell you: north of 15,000/year.
  • zachatta
    zachatta Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options

33 military personnel died because they used ephedra, prompting the military to ban it 2 years before the FDA.

Wow up to 33 deaths? Holy **** I couldn't take a drug that kills THAT many people?

*slams another beer*
  • FrenchMob
    Options
    I haven't used it, but I knew a guy who did when I was in the Army. He died of heat stroke during his air assault school road march. We all went to air assault school, and we all did the 12 mile road march a couple of times a year, but he is the only person I knew to die of heat strike during it. Most of us did stuff like drinking coffee, taking ibuprofen, and sucking down energy gel (kinda like icing). They say that he overheated because of the ephedrine. This was before it was hard to get. I certainly wouldn't touch the stuff.
    Anecdotal BS. Ephedrine does NOT give you heat stroke and it's BS stories like this that pi** me off. I take a ephedrine/caffeine stack every day for the last 7 months without any problems, and my heart does not pound out of my chest.
    Some people can't handle the way it makes them feel some can.

That's why it's always smart to gather all the facts before you try to incorporate something like EC into your plan. Doing something simply because you hear some bodybuilder does it isn't smart. There are clear guidelines laid out as to how to start it and make sure you can actually handle it
    Exactly. If it's abused, like any drug, even NSAIDS, then it will have bad consequences. If tolerance is built up, and it's taken as intended, danger is minimal at best. No worse than any other drug out there.
  • FrenchMob
    Options

Wow up to 33 deaths? Holy **** I couldn't take a drug that kills THAT many people?

*slams another beer*
    /thread :laugh:
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    OP have you heard of methamphetamine? You know...Meth, Crystal...Breaking Bad. Its basically the same thing.

It's not even close to the same thing, but it is cheaper and easier to obtain.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

*slams another beer*
    /thread :laugh:

Exactly. Nearly half a million die annually from tobacco, but it's easier to get than ephedrine.

Oh, and 2000 people die every year from aspirin. Take a couple and you're fine. Take 13 of them, and it'll be your last headache.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    Here's the for reals...

Stimulants can help provide energy for a workout. They do NOT cause fat loss, NONE of them. I've tried just about every stimulant there is, and none of them work for fat loss. They work for energy. Some are good for sex, others not so much. But none of them cause fat loss. Period. And NONE of them will make your heart jump out of your chest from a single dose. You have reached overdose level if you go the hospital over any stimulant. Don't overdose. Better yet, stick to caffeine and ginseng. They are the safest, cheapest, and easiest to give you a bit of a boost without causing other health problems.

There.

Now.

/thread
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,068 Member
    Options
    Here's the for reals...

Stimulants can help provide energy for a workout. They do NOT cause fat loss, NONE of them. I've tried just about every stimulant there is, and none of them work for fat loss. They work for energy. Some are good for sex, others not so much. But none of them cause fat loss. Period. And NONE of them will make your heart jump out of your chest from a single dose. You have reached overdose level if you go the hospital over any stimulant. Don't overdose. Better yet, stick to caffeine and ginseng. They are the safest, cheapest, and easiest to give you a bit of a boost without causing other health problems.

There.

Now.

/thread
    stimulants do help with fat loss tho, so im not sure where you got that info from. also caffeine is a stimulant, and one of the most recommended ones for fat loss at that
  • emaybe
    emaybe Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I used it when I was much younger and it didn't really have much effect, besides making me jittery all the time. I found cocaine to be more palatable (and these days, probably easier to get in the States). Heh.

What.

What? She isn't wrong. If we are talking about ephedrine in this context may as well talk about all the neurotransmitter analog stimulants of which cocaine is one.

Cocaine acts as a serotonin-norepinephrine-dopamine uptake inhibitor...so does ephedrine. They work by a similar mechanism, they basically do the same thing. Same with methamphetamine.

OP if you consider taking cocaine before your workouts to be a ridiculous or dangerous notion ephedrine is basically the same thing man.

^^Someone got it. ;)
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    Here's the for reals...

There.

Now.

/thread
    stimulants do help with fat loss tho, so im not sure where you got that info from. also caffeine is a stimulant, and one of the most recommended ones for fat loss at that

No. They. Don't.

As soon as you quit taking them, the fat comes back, and THEN some. They work for a day, a week, a month, maybe. But you can't keep using forever, or you wind up in the hospital. Then the drug leaves your system, and you're hungry as all get out and you eat everything in sight.

Been there. Done it.

ETA: Fat loss is caused by a calorie deficit, not from a magic pill.
  • FrenchMob
    Options
    Here's the for reals...

There.

Now.

/thread
    Studies indicate otherwise.
    http://examine.com/show_rubric_effect.php?id=33&effect=Weight&selection=all
    http://examine.com/show_rubric_effect.php?id=33&effect=Fat Mass&selection=all
    http://examine.com/show_rubric_effect.php?id=33&effect=Metabolic Rate&selection=all
    http://examine.com/show_rubric_effect.php?id=81&effect=Metabolic Rate&selection=all

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8384187
  • BigT555
    Options
    Here's the for reals...

There.

Now.

/thread

No. They. Don't.

As soon as you quit taking them, the fat comes back, and THEN some. They work for a day, a week, a month, maybe. But you can't keep using forever, or you wind up in the hospital. Then the drug leaves your system, and you're hungry as all get out and you eat everything in sight.

Been there. Done it.
    just because they didnt work for you doesnt mean they dont work at all. im not condoning the use of them im just stating that factual truth. i have friends who've taken stimulants (ECA stack) to great effect, and kept the weight off after
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    Here's the for reals...

There.

Now.

/thread
    Studies indicate otherwise.
    http://examine.com/show_rubric_effect.php?id=33&effect=Weight&selection=all
    http://examine.com/show_rubric_effect.php?id=33&effect=Fat Mass&selection=all
    http://examine.com/show_rubric_effect.php?id=33&effect=Metabolic Rate&selection=all
    http://examine.com/show_rubric_effect.php?id=81&effect=Metabolic Rate&selection=all

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8384187

Over a period of 12 weeks. Did they follow these people after their crash?
  • BigT555
    Options
    Here's the for reals...

There.

Now.

/thread
    No stimulants do not help with fat loss directly. Stimulants are basically only good for appetite suppression so that may help with fat loss indirectly but that it due to appetite suppression allowing you to eat less. It's still about caloric deficit.
    they also increase your metabolism allowing for a greater deficit at the same level of calorie intake. ever heard of thermogenics?
  • zachatta
    zachatta Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Ugh, why did people have to turn this into a discussion, the hilarity behind the fear mongering was awesome.

Seriously OP google is your friend. The people who are saying do your research are correct before you try something like this. For those who think it is somehow more life threatening than other drugs on the market, that are legal mind you......lol