40+ Club: Fall Fitness Fanatics

Options

Replies

• singfree
    singfree Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    Good morning!

Friday reporting day...Not a very good week eating-wise. I was able to get some exercise in this week. Cleaning my mother's house sure was a workout in itself! I need to re-focus and get back on track.

We are going to the movies tonight to see "Life as we know it". It should be fun. We haven't been to a movie in ages.

Stiring, how are you enjoying the cooler weather? Refreshing, huh? It's really starting to feel like fall!

Have a great weekend!
  • teasdino
    teasdino Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Hi all,
    It was great to find this thread. I wanted to meet a bunch of people around my age and this is a great place to do it. I would love any new friends so add away ;-]
    Not new on mfp. I joined a while back and then dropped it for a while. Got back on a bit ago. I am not sure why, but the site says I am 37...lol! I just had my 44th birthday..so there we are :tongue:
    I look at what I wiegh right now and want to be at least 30 pounds lighter. I am 5'8" and am at 191. lol!! Lost .8 this past week. I will take it.
    I was 'diagnose' with spinal desease 5 years ago. I had already been diagonsed with osteoarthritus and bone degeneration a year before that. I was down while the docs had me on drugs for pain. I have never been one to listen blindly. After a couple of the meds were taken off the market I did some thorough research on spinal problems-meds. I opted out of the whole drug therapy. It not only made my normal fast thinking mind zero out (which caused me a really sevre case of depression), 'helped' me gain pnds, but threw my hormones into a tail spin among other things. The meds were for 'pain management' only. I decided that I would take a more natural way of managing pain that would not damage my liver, kidneys,etc.
    I did lose a bunch and put some back on. Now I am back and ready to slam these pounds off. I bought the zumba dvds and tried out one session of interval training on my bike which totally kicked my butt...awesome..lol!
    Loved reading through the posts. I love the natural kitchen! I would suggest spelt for all who are wondering about different grains to use in substitue of wheat. It is an ancient grain and works very well in all the recipes I have tried. You can cook it as a grain instead of rice, or you can grind it up and use it to make bread, muffins, cake (I would suggest you might want to sift it for a cake). The dough will not come out as heavy as a wheat dough, and the bread will be a tad lighter.
    I watched the youtube of the zumba class and toally loved it! You are awesome!
    My 3rd child died of a heart defect when he was 8 months old, so I feel for you tx.
    Ok, so thank you for reading my droning! Cant wait to get these pounds off and get fit! There are so many adventures out there to be had, places to go, things to do, people to meet, and life to be lived! I choose to be the one in control and not let this spinal thing be the boss of me...red head talking at this point...lol!!!:glasses:
    jac
  • StiringWendel
    StiringWendel Posts: 3,804 Member
    Options
    Hi all!

Friday check-in.....I can't believe I got six days of working out in this week given all of the moving/unpacking I've had to do as well. But I got it in. Today I did a good back/tricep workout followed by a HiiT workout. I think I might go for a walk this afternoon to enjoy this lovely autumn day and cooler temperatures! My eating has been okay. At least I'm eating at home again, which helps. I'm still eating too many sweets, but I've got it under control. I don't feel like I've gained much if any weight throughout this move, which shocks me given how much eating out I did. But making smart decisions AND staying active with things like Insanity definitely helped.

alf, I'm sorry that you are hurting so much right now! But great job on the Zumba. I LOVE the video!!! What fun!!!

zebras, that does seem pretty pricey, but I'm used to free classes at our military gyms, so.....I'm probably not a good one to comment. I definitely think $15 a session seems high though. It makes me glad I workout with DVDs because I spend $20 and use them for years. But I also understand that doesn't work for everybody.

singfree, definitely enjoying the cooler temps!! It is still clear and sunny and beautiful out.....but without the humidity. Enjoy the movie. I don't remember the last time I saw a movie in the theatre......

teasdino....welcome!! What a great post, and thanks for letting us know so much about your situation. I'm sorry to hear about all of the health problems, but it sure sounds like you've managed to find a way to overcome them. I love your spirit, and totally agree about not letting physical limitations stop you from enjoying life. And I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your son. :flowerforyou:

Hope you all have a great weekend. My husband is back tonight and, no doubt, we'll be doing things (like trying to find curtains) on the house this weekend. Really wish I was going into DC for the rally tomorrow (keep hearing about it on the news), but don't think that's going to be in the cards. Hope you all have fun!!
  • mkwood10
    mkwood10 Posts: 428
    Options
    Happy Friday everyone - where the heck did this week go??? :huh:

Not much to report....the back/neck is feeling pretty good - almost afraid to write it down cuz it might jinx me~:laugh: Haven't been on the scale all week, but have been eating decently and avoiding alcohol in an effort to cut back on extra calories - hard to do when the hubby and friends all indulge and I sit there with my camelbak of ice water :frown: :frown: But, they don't give me a hard time about not drinking, so I can live with that. I threw out all the candy corn and peanuts early this week because I couldn't stay away from them. Bought Tootsie Pops for Halloween trick-or-treaters, I have no problem leaving those alone so they're no temptation!!!

The hubby will be gone from Sunday thru Friday :grumble: :mad: :mad: . Stupid school he's required to attend, even though he does NOTHING with procurement and budgeting!!!! I keep telling myself it's only a work week; could be much worse:ohwell: . Gee.....I wonder if I can drop any weight in that time if I eat popcorn every night instead of dinner????

Got to get back to work; just popped for a quick update; will read everyone's posts later in the weekend.

Happy Halloween to all!!!!
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Hello!!! Well, I guess my bad eating habits this past week caught up with me. 2 up this morning...so time to get back in control, it is going to be hard though...:grumble: :grumble: This time of the year all the way through New Years can be so challenging for me!!!! HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stiring, take some time off from moving activities and go to the rally, would love to hear about it!!! Maybe I would see you on Foxnews. :laugh: The weather in San Antonio is so pleasant right now, beautiful blue skies and a lovely temperature.

Sing, let's help each other out regarding the sweets!!!! Enjoy the movie!!! :drinker:

Zebras, $15!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :noway: No way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The most I've seen here is $10 per class. I charge $5 at the community ctr or 6/$25 and at the AFB gym the class is $2. And would you believe that some people have snuck in and not pay the $2???? So I did not get paid for them...how rude and cheap can you be???? :noway:

teasdino, welcome to our group. It is a wonderful group of people to share experiences with. Congrats on keeping your spirits high!!! You can do it!!!:drinker: I'm sorry to hear about your baby. :cry:

For those of you who have Facebook, I put pics and videos of my Zumba Halloween Parties I had with my classes this week. I had sooooo much fun!!!! friend me at Zumba Annette.

I might go to Sea World tonight with my son and his attendant. Then tomorrow I am cheering my husband, he is running a 10K. I am just a spectator. :cry: :sad: Then we are going out tomorrow night to dance the night away at a costume party. He is a prisoner and me, a sexy cop of course. :laugh: :laugh: :tongue:

Have a lovely weekend!!! HAPPY HALLOWEEN!!!! :flowerforyou:
  • daybyday
    daybyday Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I'm enjoying the day with my family watching my oldest son (17) compete in the State Cross Country meet with his team, plus mom (me) gets to burn some extra calories. Have a great weekend everyone!!
  • tron3002
    tron3002 Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Wow! I was exhausted yesterday. I had to get up at 2am (after only getting 2 hrs of sleep) and take my daughter to Sacramento, a 2 1/2 hr drive one way, to catch her flight to San Antonio to visit her husband. Got back home at 7:30 in the morning, slept til 1pm, went grocery shopping, then back home and made pizza's for me, my son, and his friend. I know what your thinking... Pizza! But I only had one slice and I put a lot of veggies on them so hopefully it made them a little bit healthy.:laugh:

Alf... I heard Fort Polk is small and boring but my daughter was happy that they were in the states so she's not complaining. They will be there in December also. Right now he's in Fort Sam Houston. Where's your brother stationed? Wont that be funny if they know each other? Whats your brothers name I will tell Josh to look out for him. My son in laws name is Joshua Bullock.

And as for zumba... I think they were $12-$15 a class here depending on where you go.

teasdino... Welcome! This group of people are amazing. I'm sure you'll just love it here. I am sorry to hear about your baby. My brother just lost his 3 1/2 month old to SIDS. So difficult to deal with.

Stiring... Love the picture. You are such a beautiful person on the inside and out. Have you gotten all of your belongings yet?
  • JuliaSoCal
    Options
    Saturday check in.,
    Scale was up a pound... but I am still in the "normal" range and I am not worried. My scale likes to "bounce", but it is on a down ward trend.

Think I am going to make 120 my final goal and be happy in the 120-125 range.

Julia
  • JuliaSoCal
    Options
    Sunday morning funny for you...

I lay down next to my son last night while tucking him in, so he put his arms around me to hug me..

"What's that"
    "my rib cage"
    "oh... you never had that before"

:)

Julia
  • tron3002
    Options
    Sunday morning funny for you...

I lay down next to my son last night while tucking him in, so he put his arms around me to hug me..

"What's that"
    "my rib cage"
    "oh... you never had that before"

:)

Julia

Hahahaha This is SOoooo funny:laugh:
  • singfree
    singfree Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    Good morning!

Alf, I still can't get that "sexy cop" image out of my mind. Kind of takes "frisking" to a new level!! :smooched:

We had a very nice weekend. On Friday we had a real "date", a movie and drinks afterward. Yay, I did not have to work on Saturday! We did some shopping and went out for lunch. Later in the afternoon we took a walk.

Today and tomorrow I am working 15 hours each day. The nephew of a fellow supervisor committed suicide the other day by hanging himself at his place of employment. I don't think I could ever be that down to do something like that. Very sad indeed.

The good news is that I am showing my mom's house to some people today during my lunch hour. If they don't take it, the people across the street from her house are very interested in buying it. We need to sell the house before the end of the year, because the house is only insured until then and our estate attorney feels it would be best not to drag it into the new year.

It's really beginning to feel like autumn here in the east! I can't believe that we are going back to standard time this weekend. I can take the cold weather, but getting dark at 5 pm is a bit depressing!

Back to clean eating starting today! Alf, I'm with you on banning sweets. I'm also going to cut out red wine during the week. I might have a occasional Micelob Ultra Beer, because it is low in cals and carbs. It also fills me up quickly so I don't overindulge with junk food at night.

I think I told everyone that I am flying out to Los Angeles to help my BIL in their move to Utah. It looks like it will be the 2nd weekend of December. I found some good flights from PHL on Southwest Air. I will then fly home from Las Vegas. I've never been to Vegas, and I would like to take a walk around the strip before my flight home (I'm not into gambling either). I like Southwest. The people are nice and they don't charge for baggage. That really ticks me off about the other airlines. I'm trying to make a statement by flying SW and Not the others.

Have a great day!
  • Robin1117
    Robin1117 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Good morning! How did everyone fare with Halloween festivities last night?

We went to a friends Halloween Party (a child-oriented one), and I did relatively OK, eating the adult salads and butternut squash soup that was out for us. But then after the actual trick-or-treating in the cold we came in and were offered wine. Of course, what works great with wine?? Dark chocolate of course. So i indulged in that, and then moved onto a few of the kids sugar cookies that were left. I came home with such a sugar headache, even though I wasn't hungry, I had to eat something else to balance out my system. I'm definitely going low, low, low sugar this week!

Aside from that, my workouts seem to keep me afloat. Still no weighing myself, but the jeans still fit--a good sign.

Stiring--so glad you were getting settled. I can imagine it's a little overwhelming/exhausting. Did you end up going to the rally? Wow, I would have loved to see Colbert and Stewart! Anyway, about the programs I asked about last week--yes, I'm a beginner definitely.....I'm thinking about programs for strength training specifically. I seem to have the cardio down but probably could get the lumps and bumps in line with more strength. I find that I make attempts but since I don't have a program, it lasts about 8 minutes and I get bored and end up forgetting to add it in after a week or so.

Alf--how was the Halloween? Your costumes sound so fun! Hope your aches and pains went away later this week. I still need to check out your zumba page---will do soon!

teasdino--welcome and look forward to hearing more from you!

MK--I ALWAYS do better with diet when my husband is out of town. Its the only good thing about having him away. I end up making veggies or veggie stir fries every night. Drink minimal wine. and eat at 5-5:30 instead of 6:45 -7. And, he isn't around to tempt me after dinner with huge bowls of ice cream or pistachios. This may be one little thing to look forward to this week when your hubby is away.

Julia--love that quote from your son. They are so perceptive and honest. Cute.

Sing, good luck with the house-hunters this week, and with banning red wine. That's the only pleasure that seems to keep me sane during the week but I think I'll be cutting back a bit too this week. Oh, and I love Southwest too and am planning to only use them from now on. They are for different reasons though--they have a peanut allergy policy (and I think I mentioned my son has a severe allergy). They will serve nut-free snacks on flights if they know someone on board is allergic. You don't know what a relief this is to a parent; it is frightening for me to fly some of the other airlines and I won't do it ever again. The other thing that is amazing is that their people are extra nice to my son as opposed to making us feel like a nuisance. I wrote them a letter after our last flight--they are that wonderful.

Hi to Zebras, Cardi, Day by Day and Pepper and everyone else...have a great week!!
  • Texssippian
    Options
    Sing: I love Southwest too. However, we have gotten burned a time or two with missing connections. (When you fly out of Love Field in Dallas, you can only fly non-stop within Texas or a contiguous state, darn Wright amendment!) Good luck with the sale of your mom's house. So sorry to hear about your co-worker's son.

Saturday was my friend's 13 year old son's funeral. He died of congenital heart disease. So sad!

Mr. Holiday was not too much into Halloween this year. Between not being able to get into our attic to get the bulk of decorations and it being on a Sunday and the World Series game (go Rangers!), he did the least decorating he has done in years. We still had about 160 t or ters.

Wow! It is now November. I fly to Chicago on Wednesday for a conference on Thursday then fly back on Friday then drive to Austin for the weekend. Tonight is the gym with our trainer.

Zumba is included as a group exercise program at our community gym. There is at least one class a night. All other classes are Les Miles classes. Zumba is usually Wed night and Sat morning but the Sat teacher was injured in a car wreck and can't teach for a couple of more weeks. You can get a pass for $36 a month which also allows you to use all the equipment on your own. For me, since we already have a gym membership and I am not interested in the other classes, I can pay $5 each class. I bought new shoes for Zumba on Sat but then remembered I will be in Chicago this Wednesday and cannot go to Zumba! oh well! Take care all! TxMs
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Hello all!!! Halloween was a blast! Included a picture. I am going to focus on healthy eating this week. My husband and I are leaving to Galveston on Saturday and sail out on Sunday. Will be extremely busy this week with Zumba, work and packing!!! Yikes!!

Julia, that is so funny but you should be happy about your accomplishments. Congrats!!! :drinker: :drinker:

Sing, when are you leaving? Have a safe flight! That is so nice of you helping your BIL to move. Enjoy Vegas. I am not a gambler either. When we go to Vegas all we do is walk down and up the strip, it can be quite an interesting workout. And we also love the shows. We wanted to do the Rock and Roll half marathon this year Dec 4 but I guess we will not make it. I am sure you will sell your Mom's house soon.

kadtr, I am with you about eating healthy now...I used to eat better when my husband was not around but now the tables have turned. My husband has been extremely good about his eating habits and I am the one eating the sweets and overeating. :noway: I should be ashamed of myself since I was the one that I was pushing him to eat well. :noway:

Tex, have a safe flight to Chicago. I didnt decorate for Halloween at all this year as well...hopefully I will get in the mood for Christmas.

Tron, I am glad that your daughter has a good attitude about the assignment. That is good starting up. After you've been around the military for a while then you know what assignments are better than others but they should all be accepted positively. How long is she in San Antonio? Is pretty warm already. Last night for trick or treating it was in the high 70's. Did I tell you my sister lives in Sacramento? My brother is stationed here now but works outside the base in transportation. His name is Daniel Lopez Ferreira. He is a SSG. I dont know where he will be assigned in Ft Polk but he wont be in the hospital, probably a transportation unit.

Have a wonderful day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :flowerforyou:
  • StiringWendel
    Options
    Hi all! Sounds like everybody survived Halloween. We didn't get many trick-or-treaters, but enough to make it feel like Halloween. I didn't even get a pumpkin out this year, so I'm happy the kiddies stopped by with no sign of Halloween around whatsoever.

My husband and I talked about going to the rally on Saturday but when we saw the crowds a few hours out AND because we had so much to do around the house still, we opted not to go. It sounds like it was quite the time, though. Record-breaking numbers on the metro for a Saturday. Seeing as I'm not a crowd person, I'm actually glad we did opt not to go now. But it certainly would have been fun to see.

We spent most of the weekend getting curtains hung in the house. Not much fun, but things are looking more settled now, that's for sure. I only got one workout in this weekend, but that's okay. We were busy enough otherwise that I don't feel too lazy. My eating.......:blushing: . What can I say? There's Halloween candy around the house. :ohwell:

tron, thanks for the wonderful compliment on my photo. I'm happy to hear your daughter is pleased with their assignment. I'm sure it is going to be quite an adjustment, and I do think it is best they are staying in the US right now. Transitioning in overseas can be very difficult.

singfree, I hope things go well with the sale of your mother's house. Sorry to hear about the long work hours (again). Definitely sorry to hear about your co-worker's nephew. That's just tragic.

JuliaSoCal, what a great story about your son!! That must have made you smile!!!

kadetr, I have a couple of recommendations for you. You can try Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred. It is a circuit workout (combining cardio with light weights) and has three different levels of difficulty. I know alf and tron (and probably others on this thread) have done it and enjoyed it. The good thing about this is that it does use relatively light weights so it wouldn't require a huge investment in equipment. It is also a cheap DVD. The workouts are short (30 minutes) but can be combined together into one long workout when you've mastered them all, so it is versatile. And it doesn't lock you into a 'program' that you may or may not enjoy. But if you are looking for a 'beginning' strength training program that you would do for a 90 days rotation, my recommendation would be ChaLean Extreme from Beachbody. Again, alf and duffy have both done this program with good success. I don't necessarily think it is a 'beginner' program, but of the Beachbody programs, it is my understanding that it is the best for beginners if for no other reason than the workouts are relatively short (under 45 minutes I believe). This program has both cardio and strength training DVDs. Those are just a couple of thoughts off the top of my head. If you are interested in something specific like a full body strength training DVD (no cardio) or something like that, I can also give you recommendations on those as well. But here's a start at least. Hope that helps. :flowerforyou:

TxMs, still so sorry to hear about your friend's son. I'm sure they have so many questions right now given all he had been through to make hiimself healthy. I hope you have a good trip to Chicago. Sounds like a busy week for you!!

alf, I love the photo! Looks like so much fun. Hope you have a great time on your cruise.

Hope you all enjoy your day!
  • mkwood10
    mkwood10 Posts: 428
    Options
    Hello all!

Looks like everyone had a fun weekend (for some maybe not so fun) and survived Halloween. It was pretty quiet last night; only about 40 trick-or-treaters. The only way I know that number is that the bag of Tootsie Pops I bought to hand out said there was 50 servings in it; and I gave about 10 to the last trick-or-treaters at 7:45pm just to get rid of them (the Tootsie Pops, not the kids:laugh: ). There's just not as many kids in our neighborhood anymore, which could have made the numbers less.

So, I'm alone until late Friday evening - the hubby texted me at lunch and said his school's graduation isn't until 2:30, which means he won't be on the road until at least 3:00, and it's a 8-9 hour drive home for him. :frown: :frown: Oh well.....one more night of low-cal dinner - might help lose a few ounces!! I've given up on pounds..........seems like they keep going UP instead of DOWN:mad: :mad: :mad: Well, I haven't really given up, but I'm just disgusted these days. Seems like the weight appears overnight, but takes forever to go away :embarassed: . Gotta do something to start the metabolism again.......but I don't know what!!! :grumble: :grumble: I've been working out 3 times a week for the last 3 weeks, but hasn't budged the scale in the right direction at all.:frown: No goodies for me this week..........had a huge honey crisp apple and a protein bar for lunch. Trying to decide what to have for dinner - I know popcorn isn't the best choice, even if I have a protein shake with it.
  • StiringWendel
    Options
    mk, don't get too frustrated about your weight. You are at a very healthy weight for your height, and that's something to be very happy about. But here are a couple of thoughts anyway. First, are you counting calories? If so, are you eating your exercise calories? If you are eating your exercise calories, I would recommend that you eat, at most, about half of them. At your height and weight, it is simply possible that you aren't creating any calorie deficit in order to lose weight, even if you are eating only 1400-1500 calories a day. That's just a sad reality for those of us who aren't very tall and at a healthy weight. Second, have you changed up your exercise regime at all? If you've been doing the same thing for some time, your body isn't going to respond as well to that, so you might need to change things up. At the same time, if you've changed anything up in the past few weeks (specifically adding more resistance training), your body could be retaining water. This happens to me everytime I change up my strength training routine, and, for me, it lasts about three weeks. Frustrating, but at least I've come to expect it. Anyhow, those are just some thoughts. But, again, you should be happy that you are at a very healthy weight right now. :flowerforyou:

Not much new here. Off to do a long cardio workout. I'm out-of-control with eating chocolate right now. :ohwell: We hit freezing temps this morning!! Hard to believe that just last week I was wearing a tank top and shorts and complaining about the heat. I'm good with the cooler temperatures!!

Hope you all have a good day.
  • cef957
    cef957 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I would love to join this group......I am 42. I have been loosing the same 20lbs for about 9 years (this year I added 10lbs to the 20). I have 10 more until I am at my lowest in 7 years. My youngest turns 10 in February. My oldest is a Freshman in High School.

We currently live in Chicagoland. We lived in China for the past 5 years. The weatherman is talking "measurable snow" on Thursday.....is that why I want to crawl back into bed instead of going to the gym?

Ok...off to the bus stop and then the gym and then vote....
  • cardigirl
    cardigirl Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Morning group!!! Busy days still, it seems I cannot keep up with all I SHOULD be doing, let alone all the things I WANT to do. Sigh.

Feeling pretty good, but the weight stays the same. I've decided that my goal for now until January one is to NOT GAIN any weight. Hope I can do it, but the holidays are full of temptations, stress and time issues (as in not enough of).

My knee seems to have recovered nicely, which is great, so the plyometrics continues. And the sparring, which I love. I'm thinking of getting into a boxing class of some kind, if I can find one that will take a little old lady like me. :laugh:

Welcome cef957! Congrats on getting to within 7 lbs of your goal! We are a nice group of people, very supportive and enjoy hearing about each others' journeys to getting fit!

Mk, I agree with what Stiring is suggesting. Try tracking your calories, and focus on nutrient dense foods, over just low cal, (like popcorn). Make sure to try and balance each meal with a percentage of carbs/protein/fat and you will feel more satisfied. Not sure what percentages you are working towards? I try to eat around 50-55% carbs, 25-30%protein, and 20-25% fat, based on the workouts I do. And no matter how many calories I earn, I try to keep the fat consumption between 30 - 40 grams. Seems to work, at least in reducing the bodyfat percentages.

Stiring, be glad you didn't try to go to the rally. My proofreader who went spent a lot of time in traffic, and waiting to get on the Metro. She had a good time but it sounds like the crowds were pretty big!

Hope everyone goes out to vote today!!! Have a great day!!!
  • tron3002
    Options
    My husband is off in Nevada by himself this week. I had to go to the Sac airport to pick up my daughter yesterday so I didn't go.

Yesterday was a horrible eating day for me. Taco bell, Chips and dip, candy... What was I thinking. :explode: :frown:

I had shrimp/avocado roll sushi today. And for dinner I'm gonna make fish with a lemon butter sauce on the side. Do you think that kind of sushi is "healthy"? I would think so but I just need to learn to forgo the soy sauce. I usually use 2 of those packets.

After picking up the house I'm gonna run on the treadmill. I haven't been on in so long and its about time I get a runnin' again