40+ Club: Fall Fitness Fanatics

Options

Replies

• Robin1117
    Robin1117 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Good morning, and happy Friday!

Stiring--sounds like a beautiful day yesterday, what better place to be than DC on Veterans Day.

I tried to explain to my son yesterday about Veterans Day but the military is such a hard topic to explain to a 6 year old....like, why it's needed, that was hard. And sadly, we don't even know a veteran to talk with him about. At school today they have a veteran's lunch where they were asked to invite a veteran to lunch with them to honor them, but I had nobody to invite for him. Very strange to be so far removed from the military here in Vermont. I grew up in Newport RI, and there was a big Navy base there, and Coast Guard, so it was part of everyday life.

Anyway, on to health-related stuff. Good week for eating this week, and for exercise. For some reason, even with my TOM, I'm not reaching for the chocolate like I usually am. I did start making homemade granola that probably isn't the greatest for me (maple syrup, honey, little chocolate chips) but it sure fills me up, and I think I haven't been snacking as much later on when I eat that in the morning. Hubby was gone for 2 nights, so I had veggie meals and minimal wine for the last few nights.

This week I have been trying to get ready for my son's 6th b-day party tomorrow so there is a ton of cleaning to do. Because of this, I have had lots of extra exercise from raking the yard, cleaning the windows, and today I'll be on my feet all day cleaning but will have a nice walk with a friend a little later in the morning. My back is killing me, and I twisted my knee while raking yesterday but with a little Aleve I'm hoping to be ok for more abuse today. I can't believe my house is going to be a zoo tomorrow with all the kids, moms and siblings running around. It'll be a long 2 hours but I'm sure very fun.

I was just thinking this morning about how happy I am not to see the scale in our bathroom anymore calling out to me.....are you up? are you down?? I feel free! Needless to say, no report on weight changes.

One big step I made a few days ago was finally donating the rest of my wardrobe to the community clothing drive. There are NO more 8s or 10s in my house, not a one....... Only current size clothing. How's that for confidence that I'll be this size for the rest of my days..........:smile:

Well, busy day today, so I'm off. Enjoy the weekend everyone!
  • cef957
    cef957 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Good Morning and Happy Friday!

It sounds like everyone is doing well!

Yoga - Has anyone tried it? thoughts? There is a good "groupon" deal for it today......

Kadetr - have fun at your son's birthday party! Don't worry about the mess before..it will be messy after! I know you will know that it is messy/dusty before!!

SIngfree - I hope your "date" went well! My 26th 1st date anniversary is November 16th (or 17th). Yes, we are high school sweethearts! My husband will be on a business trip next week - so it will be a skype anniversary.

Stiring - What a great way to spend Veteran's day!

My check in....Yesterday was a rest day for me and I ate ok. I am always cautious on the rest day as I don't have the extra exercise calories to fall back to. My weekend should be interesting.....Today, my friend since 5th grade is having a "mom's tea" at her new house. There will be all sorts of good things to eat and of course wine! My plan is to stick with tea and water. It will be interesting....a number of her friends we went to high school with will be there - and i haven't seen them since high school!! Tomorrow night is an engagement party for another High school friend (remember I met my husband in high school) - so there will be more people I haven't seen since then there!
  • cardigirl
    cardigirl Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm a day late in offering my gratitude to the veterans here but I did thank the ones I know here in my hometown yesterday. I am so humbled by the service of people in the military and grateful they are willing to provide it. Saddened too, that it is necessary, but always, always grateful. Thank you!

Stiring, when we took our daughter to D.C. to look at Georgetown University, we got to visit the WWII memorial, which had just opened up, and there were veterans of that war there for her to talk to. Choked me up big time. I think that memorial is so awe inspiring. I'm glad you had a good day for Veterans Day in D.C.

Sing, I think it's lovely that you and your wife celebrate your first date! And you are not old!!!!

kadetr I did that too! Got rid of all of my bigger sizes, because I refuse to be those sizes again! It's an awesome feeling, knowing that we have that kind of power to reshape ourselves if we are willing to do the work. Congrats!

Pepper, I love sweet potato fries, if they are baked! Sooo good! Have not seen the eggplant fries but will have to try them when I do find them!

cef957, have fun with all the "reunions" with high school friends. Parties can be tough for eating wisely but if you go in with a game plan, it helps!

I have plans to go to a Mexican restaurant with a good friend tonight, and I hope that I can be "good" or at least "good enough" heh.

Had a great workout with the trainer today wherein he tried to teach me weaving, as in the bob and weave of boxing. Not a great success first time out, but hopefully I'll get it! LOVE BOXING!!! Or at least the part of boxing I get to do. Not sure if I'd enjoy it as much with someone throwing actual punches at me. LOL!!!

Hope everyone has a great fantastic weekend! Love this time of year!!!!!
  • singfree
    singfree Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    Good morning!

Yay!!!! Back on day shift, at least for a while. We had a very nice weekend. Friday night we went to our favorite local restaurant to celebrate our first date. We had a wonderful time. I had some jumbo lump crab cakes and my wife had Chilean sea bass. Both were excellent choices. We both were overly full, but satisfied nonetheless.

The weather has been beautiful here in the East, but some cooler weather is coming later this week. Oh well, it's mid- November!

Starting today I am re-committing myself to get back in shape before the end of the year. So, back to the gym each day and also do some cardio (probably Insanity) at home each day. The biggest thing is watching what I am eating. Next Tuesday I go back to my Dr. for a 6 month (post concussion) checkup. I am hoping at that time she will take me off the mild BP meds and see how that goes. We talked about it earlier, and I am sure that she does not want me to take any meds if possible.

Looking at the calendar, it's shaping up to be a BUSY holiday season. All of our Church activities and choir, the upcoming year-end inventory (which I organize by myself) here at work, traveling to California to help BIL move to Utah, working many 12 hr days, and having our grandson visit the next 2 weekends will keep me hopping!

Cardi, are you getting big results from your trainer, and especially boxing? Great for you!! Sounds like fun!

Kadetr, way to go on NOT weighing!! What a liberating feeling! Just monitor your progress by trying on some form-fitting clothes. That will tell you exactly where you stand weight-wise!

Stiring, when we visit our friends in Arlington, we are only about 2 miles from Arlington Nat. Cem. Now that you are back in the states, are you going to put up a tree this year? My favorite thing is to go to our local tree farm (2 miles away) and pick out a nice tree on a cold evening. The have piped-in holiday music playing as we browse. We have a Subaru Forester to haul our treasure home. It's almost 11 years old and still going strong, but I love all wheel drive here in PA...especially in the snow!

Have a great day!
  • StiringWendel
    StiringWendel Posts: 3,796 Member
    Options
    Hi all. We had a very busy weekend here. Our focus has shifted to Christmas. I like to get all of the gifts we need to mail purchased before Thanksgiving if possible (habit from too many years of living overseas I think), so we started shopping this weekend. It was fun, but I'm tired. I got a good workout in yesterday, but my eating wasn't great this weekend. Too much time away from home and such.

singfree, I'm glad your back on days this week!! We will put up a tree this year, though we historically have put up an artificial tree. We have found that the most consistent way of having a tree over the years. It's so hard to think about Christmas right now because the weather has been SO warm.

cardigirl, I totally agree with you about the WWII Memorial. Good job with the trainer. I love the bob and weave move!

cef, I hope you had a good weekend with your high school friends! I know this is probably a late answer about yoga, but I try to do some yoga almost every day. I started with yoga years ago when I had a bad back injury, and, again, I do a very easy 10 minute yoga session (AM Yoga with Rodney Yee) nearly every day. I also try to do a longer yoga session (like P90X YogaX, which is 90 minutes long!) once a week. Yoga is great for flexibility and strength. With the longer sessions, I also find it calms me down quite a bit. I highly recommend some yoga if you can fit it in. It isn't great for weight loss (because you won't burn alot of calories doing it), but the other benefits are worth it in my opinion.

kadetr, great job on getting rid of your older clothes. It took me a long time to feel confident enough to do that, and I still have some nicer/more expensive clothing in my bigger sizes....just in case. :ohwell: Hope your son had a great birthday....and that you've recovered from the party. :wink:

pepper, hope your aunt has been able to return home. :flowerforyou:

Off to do my workout for the day. Hope you all have a great Monday!
  • singfree
    Options
    Good morning!

Stiring, it looks like it's brother-sister thread...everyone must still be celebrating their weekend! I'm glad you had a nice weekend in the DC area. If I moved as much as you have, I'd have an artificial tree also. We are just so lucky to have a number of huge tree farms in the area, so we know that we can get a beautiful & fresh tree at a reasonable price. All of the local municipalities recycle the trees either as mulch or as winter shelter for the wildlife. I'm like you, I want to get my shopping finished before Black Friday.

I'm going to work overtime today and Thursday so I won't have to work on Saturday. We are picking up our Grandson on Thursday evening, and he will be with us until Sunday morning. He will also be with us overnight on Thanksgiving Friday. That's when we will make our big family meal. So, on Turkey day we will just make something light for dinner (a nice hot homemade soup sounds good) and perhaps go to a movie.

I had a good upper body workout at the gym yesterday. Today is lower body day, with some rowing for good measure. I'm trying to work out daily, even though I am extremely busy this time of year. It's the lack of exercise and bad eating that gets me in trouble between Thanksgiving and New Year's Day. Hopefully this year will be different!

Have a great day!
  • StiringWendel
    Options
    Good Morning!!

singfree, I'm so glad you are spending so much time with your grandson. I know it was a struggle there for a little while, but it sounds like that has been worked out somewhat. Regarding Christmas trees, I think we could probably be able to find a beautiful real tree here, but I'm not so sure about a reasonable price. We've already seen Christmas tree lots open down here! :noway: So I also wonder how fresh the trees are. I suppose if we left the city area, we'd probably have a better chance, but we always get so busy on the weekends around Christmas (and, for some reason, my husband ends up traveling most of December) that we'll probably just end up sticking with the artificial.

I'm already trying to work out my Thanksgiving cooking schedule. :laugh: I'm a planner, for sure. But I haven't made a proper Thanksgiving dinner for about eight years, so I was looking on the internet last night for things like 'how long does it take to thaw a turkey?' Since it is just my husband and I, we're going to do a small turkey breast instead of a full turkey. I've also decided that I'm going to try almost all new recipes this year. Since I think we're finally going to settle down in one place for awhile (and be in the US for the remainder of our days), I think it's time to create our own 'taste of the holidays'. We'll see how it goes.....I'm not a great cook, but I'll try! :tongue:

I did a good upper body workout yesterday as well. I had done the same workout three weeks ago when I was just getting back to strength training after the move, and it felt SO much better yesterday. I really feel like I'm getting my strength back. Today I'm going to do a tough interval workout. I'm still struggling with my eating right now, but I'm keeping my weight in check with my workouts. I have no doubt I'd feel better (have more energy, etc) if I started eating better so I'm still going to try to do that. I'm not planning on baking this Christmas, so that should help me keep from going crazy with my eating between Thanksgiving and Christmas. I hope!

Hope everybody has a great day!
  • zebras
    zebras Posts: 600
    Options
    Didn't mean to leave Stiring and Sing in the room alone together so long!

Had my father-in-law's memorial service on Saturday, then I had to go to my bosses mother-in-law's wake last night, so he is still out today and my other co-worker is in China, so I'm it. Missed Zumba last night, of course.

We have a turkey day at the office cafeteria on this Thursday, they buy those Chinet platters and use them as plates, and I go along and ask for a little of this and that, and the plate still fills up! It really is an amazing spread, and if you saw that our cafeteria is the same size it was when our building was less than 1/2 the size it is now, you would wonder how they do it.
  • StiringWendel
    Options
    Good Morning!

zebras, good to see you. Your office Thanksgiving dinner sounds good!

Nothing new to report here. I'm headed off to do a lower body workout followed by some cardio. I'm taking today to focus on doing my Christmas cards. It seems way too early, but since they are acting as my change-of-address cards to our friends/family, I really want to get them out right after Thanksgiving. This seems to be an annual tradition for me, and I don't really like it! I'm so hoping that next year, there is no new address attached to my Christmas cards, and I can actually send them out in December.

Hope everybody has a great day!
  • singfree
    Options
    Good morning!

Same here, nothing much to report. I did not get to work out yesterday, since I worked 12 hours. Hopefully today I will be able to do at least a light workout at lunchtime.

Have a great day!
  • Robin1117
    Robin1117 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Good morning! just popping in mid-week. Not much new to report here either. I have just been a little sluggish lately. I don't really have a cold, but have something not quite right that's making me really unmotivated to exercise and stuffy in the head. I'll exercise nonetheless...it's just a struggle to get started.

Last weekend I had the big 6th B-day party for my boy. His real birthday is today and he is so happy he woke up to getting a Gen 1 Hot Rod Transformer (any of you with boys might know how coveted this is....) :). The party was crazy though with 19 kids and 12 adults. Would you believe it was 60 degrees (in November, in Vermont....who would have thought that would happen??) they were actually able to go outside and play at one point. Perfect Day all around. I was so busy I didn't even think about overeating any of the snack food I put out there, so the eating plan stayed in tact. Today I think I'm going to make him some chocolate cake, and then my hubby is bringing home sushi for his requested birthday meal. YUM! If there is chocolate cake around, I think I'll be eating it though--it should be much better than the dry yellow cake from his party.

Stiring--wow, Xmas cards already---good for you! Maybe I need to take the hint and get on that too!

We are actually leaving Sunday for Tampa and will be there for the week of Thanksgiving. I'll see my brother, sister in law, nephew and niece and my parents as well are flying in. I'm a little nervous about a full week of no exercise (aside from a few walks), but I suppose celebrating is a good thing and it'll be fine. Just a lot of work and exercise when we get home.

Anyway, have a great day everyone!
  • Texssippian
    Options
    Hi all!
    Sorry I have not posted in a while. Spent all day Saturday sewing a baptism dress for my niece who will be baptised this Saturday. I am hitting a busy time at work with end of the year wrap up. I have board presentations to put together plus business analysis for large capital projects. Plus, I leave tomorrow for Mississippi for my mom's 80th birthday and my niece's baptism. I will be back on Monday.

Stiring, I am a planner too (both professionally and personally). We don't have a whole lot of people for Thanksgiving but I always cook a lot. My husband will have to do the shopping this time since I am in Mississippi this weekend.

A new fast food place is opeing tomorrow by our house. They are giving away 1 free meal a week for a year for the first 100 customers. This morning at 6:15 am the parking lot was already full of people waiting. Crazy!

Take care all! TxMs
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    Hi! Still checking in :)

I finally re-set my alarm clock for 30 minutes earlier (after snoozing that gets me up at 4:15) to get in some AM exercise since I have been doing a less-than-stellar job working out in the afternoons since the time change. I love the Freezone videos..there are so many, I could basically do a different 30 minutes every day this month!

I did well Mon and yesterday mornings, and did cardio last night, so I "slept in" this morning to let the glutes rest. Side lunges got me!

I am Jewish and Hannukah is nice and early this year so I'm getting all my gifts ready right now. I'm getting everyone the same basic package...a bottle of yummy balsamic, some flavored sea salts, and a great Bollywood movie (Monsoon Wedding). Plus socks for family members in cold climes and cute dresses for my new niece.
  • singfree
    Options
    Good morning!

Wow, and I thought my life could not get any busier...I was wrong!

The holiday season should be a fun time, but I am ALWAYS stressed to the max. My workload increases dramatically, as well as my hours here in anticipation of our inventory audit on Dec. 4. The music program at Church ramps up also. We are hosting a community Thanksgiving Eve service and I am directing the choir, which includes people coming in from several other Churches to sing. We have a huge Advent music load this year to prepare. I'm not even getting time to exercise at all these days, yet alone eat right. Don't get me wrong, I'm thankful for having such good employment, but I need just a little "me" time too! Oh yea, I also am helping my BIL move from Calif. to Utah....

Our Grandson is arriving this evening for a weekend visit. That will lift my spirits! We will have a birthday party for him on Friday evening, since we could not see him on his actual birthday. :cry:

Enough of my woes. I hope that everyone is enjoying the last ot the fall weather before we head into December. Keep me in your thoughts in the days ahead. Your good vibes will keep me going!

Have a great day!
  • StiringWendel
    Options
    Morning all!

singfree, every year I promise myself that I won't feel stress during the holidays....and every year I break that promise. I'm sorry things are so hectic for you. I hope you get a chance to exercise some time, because I think that helps with the stress. And, of course, as you know, eating right will help you feel better, give you more energy, etc. But it is SO tough this time of year!!! :flowerforyou:

sofaking, great job on rearranging your schedule to make room for exercise!!! I much prefer working out in the morning because then I know it is done, and I don't have to think about whether I'm going to have the opportunity/desire to do it the rest of the day. And what wonderful gifts you are giving out this year!!! Healthy AND fun!

TxMs, great to see you! What fast food restaurant is going in near you that had people there that time of the morning? I remember when Carl Jrs went in in Fairbanks when we were living in Alaska, people were waiting for HOURS (literally) for their food. I was in the grocery store about three weeks after Carls Jr. opened, and the check-out guy was all happy that he got out of the restaurant in an hour the night before. I just looked at him and asked, 'But isn't it a fast-food restaurant?' I think he failed to understand why 'one hour' and 'fast food' didn't belong together. :ohwell: Enjoy your trip to Mississippi!

kadetr, sounds like your son's party was terrific fun! I'm happy, and I hope he enjoyed his 'real' birthday as well. I, too, have been struggling with motivation when it comes to working out lately, but I keep pushing through too! I really think it is just that time of year. Enjoy your trip to Florida. If you're able to take a walk everyday, you shouldn't suffer at all from not doing your regular workouts as long as you keep your eating relatively under control (which is tough given Thanksgiving of course!)

I got up early to get my workout in--Insanity's Max Interval Circuit. This is the first Insanity workout I've done in a few weeks, and it felt really good. I missed Shaun T.!! I'm running out to get my haircut (actually walking out....since I don't have a car) later this morning and wanted to make sure I got my workout in first.

Hope you all have a great day!
  • zebras
    zebras Posts: 600
    Options
    Stiring and 6, I wish I could exercise in the morning! I'm just such a night owl, that I'm not human in the morning. I can barely get up in time to be ready for work. I don't know how I did it back when I had a 2-hour commute!

Today is the Thanksgiving feast at work. The first year I was here, I remember there being 5 tables of cookies, never mind the pies. I think they've cut down on the cookies since then.

Sing: Give your grandson birthday wishes from all your MFP friends! Have a good time, and don't work too hard!
  • singfree
    Options
    Stiring, I've discovered that "fast food" is anything but fast. The only place that I usually don't have to wait is at Subway. Then again, Subway is not your typical FF restaurant. I'm stunned when I drive by McD's and there are all the "soccer moms" at the drive-thru, getting a happy meal for little Johnny. I would rather buy a rotisserie chicken, some salad fixings and voila...dinner!!! Much healthier, cheaper and faster than fast food!
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    Stiring and 6, I wish I could exercise in the morning! I'm just such a night owl, that I'm not human in the morning. I can barely get up in time to be ready for work. I don't know how I did it back when I had a 2-hour commute!

Today is the Thanksgiving feast at work. The first year I was here, I remember there being 5 tables of cookies, never mind the pies. I think they've cut down on the cookies since then.

Sing: Give your grandson birthday wishes from all your MFP friends! Have a good time, and don't work too hard!

I confess I take sleeping pills - otherwise I would be getting @3 hours of sleep per night :)

Today is our TG potluck as well. I really did try to ignore it but a couple of people from my team just announced they are off to Costco to pick up my contribution so I guess i'm in. I think the CEO is going to deep fry a turkey..I've never tried it that way before so I'm excited..just a nibble!
  • singfree
    Options
    Good morning!

Happy Friday! Check in day again...not a great week with food and exercise, but my shape is still doing ok. I really need to focus on myself, but that's going to wait for a few weeks until I get my life back again. During that time, I just need to do my best and not worry too much about it.

Our Grandson arrived last evening for a visit until Sunday. We will have a small birthday party for him tonight. One of his joys is helping to do the laundry. We have a front-loading washer, which is great for a little guy. He shines a flashlight through the plexiglass door and watches it spin. We call him the "Laundry Meister"!!!

I hope everyone enjoys the weekend!
  • StiringWendel
    Options
    Good Morning!

Friday check-in....this has been a pretty good week for me. I really stepped up my cardio workouts this week by starting to do the Turbo Fire workouts that I ordered before leaving Korea. I did three of those (including one this morning) plus one step interval workout (Cathe Friedrich) and one Insanity workout. In addition, I have done two upper body and two lower body workouts this week, so I feel like I'm getting back into my pre-move shape right now. I also am beginning to feel like I'm finally taking control of my eating again. While I'm still eating chocolate every day, I'm not eating nearly as much as I did last week, so that is good. I'm hoping this trend carries through next week when I know I'll be eating things that aren't as healthy as I otherwise might.....and I hope it carries through Christmas too!

singfree, your grandson sounds so cute! I hope you have a wonderful birthday celebration with him. And I hear you on the 'fast food' thing. I just don't understand the appeal.

sofaking, hope you enjoyed your Thanksgiving banquet.

zebras, I always say I can either be a morning person or a night person....but I can't be both. Even though I'm not working right now, I opt to be a morning person because of my husband's work schedule (he's out of the house shortly after 5:00am).

And, finally, to duffyzmom, I read your blog last night and YAY!!!!! :drinker: You are so amazing, and I couldn't be happier for you. (Note: For those who haven't read duffy's blog and may not have a link, while she is still undergoing chemo, her last scan indicated that she is cancer-free!!)

Hope the weekend is wonderful for all of you.