40+ Club: Fall Fitness Fanatics

Options

Replies

• mkwood10
    mkwood10 Posts: 428
    Options
    Welcome DaybyDay!
    I'm almost 5'2" and very small framed. My goal is 125, but my body really likes 130 right now. The older I get, the harder it is to get back to previous, younger weights. I'm frustrated these days, but still trying for 125 OR a good drop in body fat percentage. At 48, I think I'm finally learning to accept that its not so much what the scale says, but what you can maintain without restricting yourself to a super strict diet and exercise routine. I've been fighting upper back/shoulder/neck issues most of this fall, so haven't really been able to work out like I want to:ohwell: .

I've had a quiet but OK holiday weekend so far. No Black Friday insanity for me!!!! Just my husband and youngest daughter here - the oldest daughter's boyfriend had to work on Thanksgiving and yesterday, so she didn't make it home. Hard on both of us, but I think harder on her because this is only the 2nd time she's spent Thanksgiving without mom and dad. First time was several years ago when my husband was in Texarkana for a 6 week school and only got T'giving day off from it. I drove down to spend the weekend with him and both girls went to the youngest's boyfriend's family home for the day. Strange day for all of us........

Almost afraid to say it, but my back/neck/shoulder are feeling pretty good these days. I hope the trend continues...................

Time to make breakfast.............enjoy the weekend!
  • tron3002
    tron3002 Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Its snowing again today which we don't need right at this moment. My daughter is supposed to be moving her belongings into a moving truck so that she can be on her way to Louisiana tomorrow. This should be tons of fun. I also loaned my snow shovel to the in laws 3 days ago to shovel out their snow blower and of course don't have it back yet. I don't want to sound like a big meanie but I really hate loaning things out. They never seem to use it in a timely manner and then when you need it you have to go hunting it down. Gets frustrating some times that's all.

I started working out with weights with my son the other day. Only did one day so far but heck between going to Nevada 3 days a week and shoveling all this snow PLUS getting ready for the holidays I'm just happy I started.

Now that the power is back on I'm gonna pull my Wii out and see how well my weight has maintained through out this last very stressful month. Keep your fingers crossed its not too bad.

MKWood... So glad to hear your getting some relief from your back pains.
  • JuliaSoCal
    Options
    Are there any people on here that are under 5'2"? I am barely over 5 feet tall. I'm just curious what your weight goal is if you are short like me.

I am 5 foot even and just lost 50 lbs....I weigh 125 ish now. I am hoping to maintain for the holiday, and then decided what I want to do. I still have belly and thigh fat that annoys me, but I have had 2 kids, so I dont know if the belly is going to go away...and quite frankly have always carried my weight in my thighs so It may be a "lost" cause unless I GO CRAZY at the gym and I am not ready for that...
  • cardigirl
    cardigirl Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Juliasocal what would going crazy at the gym entail? :wink: I think you'll find that if you exercise to build muscle, it will be easier to maintain a lower weight. Exercise helps with the metabolism! :flowerforyou:
  • JuliaSoCal
    Options
    Juliasocal what would going crazy at the gym entail? :wink: I think you'll find that if you exercise to build muscle, it will be easier to maintain a lower weight. Exercise helps with the metabolism! :flowerforyou:

I MUST add some weight/ strength training to my work outs, but that is proving to be more difficult than the cardio...

I need to find a work out buddy.... that would probably be the best for me.

"Crazy at the gym" is 2 work outs a day and no treats...

Julia
  • cardigirl
    cardigirl Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Julia, you might want to look into interval training. It's shorter periods of time with high intensity exercises. It's great for building muscle and burning fat. Look up interval training workouts online. You might also look at bodyrock.tv for some ideas of workouts.

Having a workout buddy helps too. I found that if I do my gym time in the morning I am much more likely to get it in for the day. Others prefer evenings, the key is to try to make it a habit. And find something you like to do. I love the weights and doing plyo and boxing.

Classes have been fun for me too. Just some suggestions to give you some different ideas.
  • StiringWendel
    StiringWendel Posts: 3,796 Member
    Options
    Good Morning everybody! I hope you all had a great Thanksgiving. Ours was very nice. I must say, I made some nice dishes this year, so it was worth all of the work. I was exhausted on Friday, though. :ohwell: Needless to say, my eating wasn't great this weekend, but I got in a few good workouts which helped. In fact, I've already gotten my cardio workout in this morning. I still need to do my upper body workout though, which I'll do after I finish this.

tron, I'm so sorry to hear about the bad weather, but think your Thanksgiving sounds special. I'm glad you were able to celebrate despite the weather.

mk, glad to hear you are feeling better. Hope it continues!!

JuliaSoCal, I have to agree with cardigirl in saying that strength training will help you maintain your weight loss. It will also reshape your body more than cardio will do. In addition to interval training (as cardigirl recommended), I would also suggest circuit training (where you do both cardio and weights in the same workout, keeping your heart rate up in the cardio range). That might be the best way of getting used to lifting weights because most circuit workouts use light weights (3-10lbs usually). I started lifting weights after I started doing the original Firm tapes (way back about 20 years ago). If you workout at home, you might want to check out Jillian Michael's workouts. Many of her workouts are circuit workouts, and they are usually between 30-45 minutes in length. The weights that you'd need would be relatively inexpensive, don't require much space, etc. It's just a suggestion, but strength training really does make a huge difference in how you look and how you feel and, most importantly, how you're able to keep the weight off.

With that said....I'm off to do my strength training workout! Hope you all have a great day.
  • Robin1117
    Robin1117 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone, hope you all had a great Thanksgiving! We had a great time in Tampa and saw lots of family--it sure beats the 25-30 degrees in Vermont! The only problem, as I suspected, was that I ate way too much and did no exercise at all. We came back on Friday night and I did try to get back into some exercise Sat. and Sunday, but with eating so much during the last week, cutting back to my normal routine on food seemed a little harder than usual.

There is thankfully still no scale in my future but the pants are tight....so I'm back in a little bit of weight loss mode this week. I have been trying to trick myself into thinking it isn't so bad by air drying my jeans instead of putting them in the dryer...maybe they won't be so tight that way?? :smile:

I have been a little sore over the last week too--my lower back has been bothering me quite a bit and my knee. I don't know if it is from working out a little harder the week before Thanksgiving, or because I slept in a bad guest bedroom bed all last week. I know i have to take it easy and not overdo it on exercise.

Just a quick checkin, I will catch up on all your posts I missed last week! Take care all, Robin
  • tron3002
    Options
    I just don't understand my husband. He knew his daughter was leaving today and we probably wont see her for 2 years and what does he do? Gets up early and goes to his friends house. Didn't even know he was gone. Now why wouldn't he want to see her off and say goodbye? Tell her that he will miss her???
  • StiringWendel
    Options
    Good Morning!

tron, I'm so sorry to hear about your husband and your daughter. Maybe saying goodbye was too difficult for your husband. I, obviously, don't know him, but I do know some men have a tendency to escape those moments they think will be too difficult on them emotionally. I'm sure yesterday was difficult for you, and I hope it isn't two years before you see your daughter again. :flowerforyou:

kadetr, glad to hear you had a good Thanksgiving. I've done that with my jeans too....air dried them to make them not-so-tight! :laugh: Hope your back feels better. As you said yourself, don't overdo the exercise, especially since you're easing back into it. Hope you feel better soon.

All here is well. I did a new workout this morning. I do alot of workouts by Cathe Friedrich, and she just released four new workouts. I did one name 'Intensity' this morning, and it lived up to its name. It is a workout that combines a 30 minute step routine with a 20 minute HiiT workout all followed by a 15 minute bootcamp session. It was a really good workout and the time (70 minutes) flew by. And the good thing about eating so much at Thanksgiving is that I haven't had much of an appetite since, so my eating is better too!

Hope you all have a great day!
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone!!!! :drinker: :drinker: I hope all of you had a wonderful Thanksgiving break. I had a great one. My sister was here visiting from Sacramento. :drinker: Actually eating was not so bad after all. I did not exercise much though. :grumble: Back to my healthy eating habits yesterday and plan (at least try really hard) to keep it up as long as I can.

Tron, I totally agree with Stiring. It really sounds to me that he wanted to avoid saying "goodbye" to her. I also agree that you will see her soon. At least she is not going overseas. I am sure they will come visit as soon as they get a chance. Or you guys can go to visit them. My brother is not going to LA after all. His orders were changed. So for now he is staying in San Antonio.

kadtr, glad to hear you had a nice time with family. A couple of my pants were tight as well this weekend. :laugh:

Cardi and MK, good to see you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :drinker: :flowerforyou:

Where is Sing? Is he out of town?
  • StiringWendel
    Options
    Good Morning!

alf, I'm so glad you had a good time with your sister over Thanksgiving. Congrats on not letting the eating get out of hand!! Regarding sing, I know he has a really important project at work this week (I think he has an inspection or something on Saturday), so he did say things were going to be crazy for him this week. I think that's probably why we're not hearing from him. I don't remember when he is going to California, but I know that's coming up soon as well.

All here is well. We've got some nasty weather with flood and tornado watches, but it isn't as bad as I expected it to be. But, boy, is it warm......64 degrees right now (at 7:30am). I did a tough Turbo Fire workout this morning, and will do a lower body workout later today. My eating is definitely getting better, which is a great thing right now. I hope this carries through the holidays.

Hope you all have a good day.
  • Texssippian
    Options
    Hi all!
    Cannot believe it is December! We have had a beautiful fall this year in North Texas. Trees were the prettiest I have ever scene. Had a great Thanksgiving with kids home from school. Eating was ok but did not get much exercise other than cooking nonstop.

Mr. Holiday (husband) has 5000 lights in the trees and bushes. We are going to get our tree on the way home tonight. Take care all! TxMs
  • SlimLittleMrs
    Options
    Hello everyone, I'm 40+ so I thought I would join your wonderful group - it's really nice to have some weight loss friends that are in my age group! Have a great day!
  • alf1163
    Options
    Good morning everyone!!! Sandy, welcome to our group!!!! :drinker: :drinker:

Stiring, the weather here has been crazy as well but no rain at all!! That's not necessarily good considering we always need rain over here but people around here dont know how to drive in the rain. :noway: :laugh: I just hate the very cold mornings and then the warm (75 degrees) afternoons. I just dont know how to dress for that!! :laugh: But I take warm weather anytime...

Tex, I see Mr. Holiday has been busy...5000 lights!!!! :noway: I would love to decorate my house really nice outside but my husband would not get on a ladder for anything!!! In a way that is good, I've heard way too many bad stories about accidents like that. I was just thinking last night that I would like to find a company or someone to decorate my house outside and at the end of the Holidays come back and take the lights down, of course it will not be free nor cheap. There are a few houses in my neighborhood that look soooo nice with their decorations. I'm jealous...

Here at work, have been eating well lately, drinking more water...exercise, just Zumba classes lately. Still dealing with hip pain, and now my left foot been hurting...geez!!!!!!! I'm falling apart. My shoulder feels better, no longer going to the PT but still doing the exercises at home, most days, but not everyday :grumble:

Have a wonderful day!!!!!!!!!!! :flowerforyou:
  • singfree
    singfree Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    Good morning to my festive and fabulous feminine friends!!!!

It's a bit of a mad house here at work...the final push before our big year-end inventory audit on Saturday. I'm working 12-hour shifts, just so I can get everything accomplished. At least it's 6 am-6pm. Sorry I was not able to check in until now.

No time to exercise this week, as you can imagine. I need to focus on good food and at regular intervals. Yesterday morning I was light headed from not eating. I'll remember that and not make the same mistake twice.

We are really getting pounded by rain here in the East. Not much fun walking between our storage buildings in such rain! It's too windy to use an umbrella. At least it's not snow!

I will try to catch up on your posts, but for now...ciao...
  • tron3002
    Options
    Alf and Stiring... No, he let someone borrow the boom truck and was helping them. He just said it wasn't supposed to take that long. I hunted him down and we met up with her to have lunch considering she also took off with my car keys... haha!

Tex... I usually put up a lot of lights too but this year that would be impossible. The 3 ft of snow that we got still hasn't melted. Not even a little bit. No icicles, nothing. And we are getting another storm tomorrow. Gosh I hope it rains on us.

Alf... My daughter is still being stationed at Fort Polk. They are in Texas right now. Good thing they will be getting there early because they need to get the paperwork done to move their belongings. They only have what they could jam in their car.

Stiring... How do u like Washington DC? Have you been able to go explore at all???
  • singfree
    singfree Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    Good morning!

Just a quick check-in to let you know that I'm still here. It's extremely busy, hectic and downright stressful right now. I'm tired, but I have a hard time sleeping with everything that I must deal with here at work. I'm trying to do the last-minute stuff slowly and methodically, making to-do lists and timetables in prep for te audit on Sat. morning. It is much more than a one-person job, hence the stress. Maybe it's a good thing that I am still on BP meds!

Yesterday it was warm and rainy. Today it is freezing and windy!! Many of the rivers in PA are very high and there is some flooding. One good thing is that the reservoirs are full. I know that some area of the US are in a chronic drought condition. Alf, has the drought ended in TX? It seems like you are getting some good rain regularly. Stiring, is the Potomac River high? We had about 3 inches of rain yesterday, and some places got much more.

This weekend won't be easy, either. After the audit on Saturday, which should be an all-day affair, our Church Choir is doing a "Lessons & Carols" service on Sunday afternoon. Two of my choir members (husband and wife) will not be there. They are in Ft. Collins, CO. They were visiting their daughter, who is a practicing Vet. The husband developed severe swelling in one knee. He had emergency surgery the other day, due to an infection in his knee. He will be hospitalized until at least the weekend. Then they need to make new arrangements to get back home.

I'll need to rest and gear up for my trip to CA-UT next week...aahhhh, the holidays!

Have a great day!
  • StiringWendel
    Options
    singfree, sounds like things are crazy for you. I hope they calm down a bit after you get back from Utah so you can enjoy a little bit of the holiday season. We didn't get nearly as much rain here as you did yesterday....just about an inch. We had flood warnings all day, which tells me the Potomac is pretty high right now. Now we're colder....which I MUCH prefer this time of the year.

tron, I'm glad your husband, you and your daughter got the chance to say goodbye. I know my husband has absolutely no concept of time, so what your husband did doesn't really surprise me either. But I'm glad it all worked out. Thanks for asking about how I'm settling into DC. The area is really growing on me as I get more and more comfortable with it. We've been into DC quite a few times now, but we haven't had a chance to venture much beyond the area. I was hoping to get to some of the smaller towns here in Virginia for their Christmas markets, but our weekends have filled up with other activities so that might have to wait until next year. But, at the end of the day, with everything going on in Korea, I'm just happy to be back in the US right now.

alf, I'm sorry to hear about the continuing hip pain (and now foot pain!) but glad your shoulder is feeling better. Sounds to me, though, like Zumba is working great for you in keeping yourself in shape!

TxMs, I smiled when you mentioned the 5000 lights! How much fun that must be. We've decorated more this year than we have in many years. After going through all of the stuff a couple of weeks ago, my thinking is if we have it, it's getting put out. Unfortunately our townhouse doesn't lend itself to decorating the outside, so we don't have many lights out there. But the inside is really pretty right now.

Sandypants....welcome!! Feel free to jump right in to the conversation and let us know how you are doing.

I did an Insanity workout this morning, and will probably do some yoga later today. My eating has been much better this week, and I'm beginning to feel better because of that.

Hope you all enjoy your day!
  • alf1163
    Options
    Hello!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :drinker: Stiring, yes, foot pain!!!!!!!!!!!!! :noway: :noway: :grumble: what is going on with my body???? But you know, I cannot complain. I know there are a lot more people suffering with more than just some aches and pains. I am just frustrated. :cry: The foot pain is weird because depending on the time of day it feels in different areas of the foot. Sometimes it feels like a stress fracture on top of the foot, other times it is pain on the outside part of the ankle, others right in the middle of the ankle, right where the ankle ends and the foot starts. I do have an ortho appt on Tue for my hip problem so I will see if we can also discuss the foot pain. And speaking of the hip, they send me in the mail a copy of my MRI results with tons of medical terms as if I were a doctor and knew what they are talking about. To me it doesnt sound too good...so I guess it will be discussed on Tuesday. In the meantime I have to be patient and wait. I teach tonight, really I shouldnt, and then I will try to rest my foot this weekend.

Sing, good to hear from you. Sorry you are so stressed out with work. I give you permission to have a glass of wine to try to relax. :laugh: :wink: I am sure your inspection will be successful.

Tron, I am sure your daughter is enjoying the nice weather here in San Antonio. It is absolutely perfect!!! Yes, it is kinda cold in the morning but then the temp goes up to upper 60's, low 70's and sunny. I am sure she has been to the Riverwalk with hubby by now, The Alamo, etc. Tell her that she can get in Sea World for free with hubby for one day. They would save over $100 in tickets. I am sure her husband knows that. It is free for military and dependents. They can also get discounted tickets for other attractions at their local ITT on post. Lots of things to do and see here in San Antonio. She should take advantage of that before getting to unimpressive Ft Polk. The only good thing about Ft Polk is that it is close to New Orleans and of course closer to Florida. Oh, if they decide to go to Disney World they can buy a 4 day park hopper for $138 ea!!!! Again they can get it on post. We are planning a Disney trip soon, probably in May for my son's birthday.

Hugs!!!!!!!!!!! :flowerforyou: