2 year plateau and confused about differences in calories

Options
Hello, MFP friends!
So, in 2012 I lost 50 lbs. Per my doctor's advisement, I strictly adhered to a 1200 cal/day regimen with exercise and I started at 298lbs.
The weight came off quickly and then....BOOM...plateau I can't break AND I gained 9 lbs back.
I've done my research and while some sites say I should eat 2080 cals/day to lose 2 lbs/wk, this one and MyPlate say in the 1300s.
What is the differnece and what am I doing wrong?

Replies

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    A plateau means you are eating at maintenance. Either eat less (which could also mean you are currently not trackign calories correctly and eat more than you think) or exercise more. Unless there is some health issue and you need to check with your dr.
  • sunshinesoprano
    sunshinesoprano Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Last year when i went back to the doctor she said, stay at 1200 and exercise 5 days/wk. Unfortunately, I just don't have time to do that with other cmmitments. She's a really skinny person and an OBGYN so I'm not sure this is really her forte. I was starving and tired at 1200/day.

I've played around with all sorts of calorie numbers and nothing seems to make sense.
  • jec285
    jec285 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    She's a really skinny person and an OBGYN so I'm not sure this is really her forte.

Dat reverse discrimination
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    An OBGYN probably isn't a skilled nutritionist or dietician. Neither am I, for the record! So my 'help' may not be any better than hers but it also might not be any worse?

What have you been doing recently & how long have you been at it? How active are you (in your current profession), what is your current height/weight & goal? What calorie range have you been eating in, if you've been tracking it. If you have, how? I mean how do you determine what calories you are consuming?
  • sunshinesoprano
    Options
    Let me also note that...

I eat very little bread.

I eat very little candy and junk.

I can't eat fried crap because it hurts my stomach.

I drink coffee and water and that's about it...other than diet coke.
  • sunshinesoprano
    Options
    An OBGYN probably isn't a skilled nutritionist or dietician. Neither am I, for the record! So my 'help' may not be any better than hers but it also might not be any worse?

What have you been doing recently & how long have you been at it? How active are you (in your current profession), what is your current height/weight & goal? What calorie range have you been eating in, if you've been tracking it. If you have, how? I mean how do you determine what calories you are consuming?

I use MFP all the time and track everything I eat. I have a desk job but I work out at least 3 days/wk for 45-50 minutes. I've been eating at around 1740 and nothing. I've ranged from 1200-1800 trying to figure it out, however.
  • sunshinesoprano
    Options
    She's a really skinny person and an OBGYN so I'm not sure this is really her forte.

Dat reverse discrimination

No, that's being realistic that an historically thin person has no idea what it's like to have a lifelong weight struggle.

If I said I hated her because she was skinny, that would be discrimination.
  • StaciMarie1974
    Options
    How do you track all you eat? Do you use a digital food scale for everything (except liquids)?

HOw long eating at 1740?
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    You are eating at maintenance (or a little above) and need to eat less
  • sunshinesoprano
    Options
    How do you track all you eat? Do you use a digital food scale for everything (except liquids)?

HOw long eating at 1740?

Several months. I don't use a digital scale but when I eat at work I ask them what the measurements are...it's a cafeteria so that's pretty easy for them. The rest is a pretty good estimate, and I know I tend to overestimate the portions because I'm afraid to underestimate.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    No, that's being realistic that an historically thin person has no idea what it's like to have a lifelong weight struggle.

(1) I'm not trying to upset you, since I really hope you find what works for you, BUT... How do you know she's historically thin. A lot of people make that assumption about me and assume I have no idea what it's like to be morbidly obese or how hard it can be to lose 100+ lbs. They're wrong. I was obese for my entire adult life until I figured out what I personally needed to do.

(2) Buy a digital scale. Weigh every morsel you put in your mouth. 1700 or so calories should be fine, if that's truly what you're eating. My guess is you're not being accurate.
  • sunshinesoprano
    Options

(1) I'm not trying to upset you, since I really hope you find what works for you, BUT... How do you know she's historically thin. A lot of people make that assumption about me and assume I have no idea what it's like to be morbidly obese or how hard it can be to lose 100+ lbs. They're wrong. I was obese for my entire adult life until I figured out what I personally needed to do.

(2) Buy a digital scale. Weigh every morsel you put in your mouth. 1700 or so calories should be fine, if that's truly what you're eating. My guess is you're not being accurate.

1. Because we've spoken about it....
    2. I measure cereals and milk and things like that and most everything else I can get the calorie count from the package.
  • StaciMarie1974
    Options
    Using a food scale can be a real eye opener. What you assume is 4 ounces chicken could be 6, what you think is 150 grams rice is 200. Logging a medium piece of fruit at 50 calories when its really 125grams @ 100 calories. Part of the problem is there are so many MFP entries, its easy to pick low #s. A 500 calorie deficit, gone - just like that!

Without weighing its impossible to get accurate #s. And I suspect the people working in the cafeteria mean well, but probably are wrong also. Not to mention if they're serving items that have multiple ingredients its hard to keep it all straight.

If what you're doing is not working for you, it might not hurt to pick up a $10-15 food scale and give it a try. Personally I use the postage scale at work. Small office, and I got a few odd looks but I got over letting that bother me. I do try to take it back off the gram setting when I'm done though...
  • kuolo
    kuolo Posts: 251 Member
    Options

HOw long eating at 1740?

Several months. I don't use a digital scale but when I eat at work I ask them what the measurements are...it's a cafeteria so that's pretty easy for them. The rest is a pretty good estimate, and I know I tend to overestimate the portions because I'm afraid to underestimate.

If you're not weighing your food then you have no real way of knowing exactly how much you're eating. 'Underestimating'/'overestimating' is no good either because (a) it will be wrong (b) you won't hit your macros (c) eating much under your goal long term is not ideal - it's a goal to hit, not to see how far under you can be.

If you're stuck at a plateau and not weighing you food, the answer is going to be to weigh them, because you can't start jiggling around your calorie goals or your macros until you know how much you're eating currently (nor will you be able to make accurate adjustments until you start tracking accurately).
  • StaciMarie1974
    Options
    One thing to be aware of: packages are not specific.

Read carefully and you'll often see something like: one serving, 85 grams; servings per package, about 2. Then its 200 grams so its actually 200/85 = 2.35 servings.

And measuring solid food in measuring cups is inaccurate. What fits into 1/2 cup may or may not be a 'serving' depending on how it settles. Need to go by weight. Cups are for liquids.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    1. Because we've spoken about it....
    2. I measure cereals and milk and things like that and most everything else I can get the calorie count from the package.

1. ok, i see.
    2. you measure with a cup? or a scale?

Honestly, I know you're doing a lot. And you should feel good about it. But if you 100% serious about losing more weight, you need to buy a digital scale and weigh your food. You are eating more calories than you think you are.
  • sunshinesoprano
    Options
    Using a food scale can be a real eye opener. What you assume is 4 ounces chicken could be 6, what you think is 150 grams rice is 200. Logging a medium piece of fruit at 50 calories when its really 125grams @ 100 calories. Part of the problem is there are so many MFP entries, its easy to pick low #s. A 500 calorie deficit, gone - just like that!

Without weighing its impossible to get accurate #s. And I suspect the people working in the cafeteria mean well, but probably are wrong also. Not to mention if they're serving items that have multiple ingredients its hard to keep it all straight.

If what you're doing is not working for you, it might not hurt to pick up a $10-15 food scale and give it a try. Personally I use the postage scale at work. Small office, and I got a few odd looks but I got over letting that bother me. I do try to take it back off the gram setting when I'm done though...

I don't cook at home s what I eat either comes out of a package (like a frozen item) or something that already has a calorie assignment. I've discussed things with the chef at work and they actually weigh out and measure their portions because they are health-conscious...it's a large chain of cafeterias that services my employer.

I know you all think I'm making excuses, but I'm not. Im very careful and generally don't use most of the MFP entries...I find them inaccurate and figure it out myself. If I go to an eating establishment, I ask how much the meat weighs or whatever.

I've been doing this for a long time so I've become very good at eyeballing how much a half cup or cup is, and I'm pretty accurate within a small range of error.

The other thing that comes into play is that I have a lot of muscle mass. My legs are large but very muscular and at one time I could press 500lbs with them. My family is all built this way (like a defensive line for a football team) and we have large legs, wide hips, and broad shoulders.
  • sunshinesoprano
    Options
    One thing to be aware of: packages are not specific.

Read carefully and you'll often see something like: one serving, 85 grams; servings per package, about 2. Then its 200 grams so its actually 200/85 = 2.35 servings.

And measuring solid food in measuring cups is inaccurate. What fits into 1/2 cup may or may not be a 'serving' depending on how it settles. Need to go by weight. Cups are for liquids.

Yes, I understand all of that.
  • lavaughan69
    lavaughan69 Posts: 459 Member
    Options

This! It's so important to accurately log what your eating.
  • StaciMarie1974
    Options
    Could there be a sodium issue? I know high sodium leads to a lot of water retention but I don't know if it creates issue w/ actual weight loss. Eating a lot of pre-packaged foods would be mega-high sodium.

If what you're doing isn't working - and there is no medical reason for the stall - then look for what you can change. Food scale is one. And perhaps less processed, more prepared food. I'm not saying there is a right vs wrong but the nutritional value of prepared is bound to be better than processed. And some people have found success with majorly changing up their macros. Cutting down on carbs or up protein. Just examples.