2 year plateau and confused about differences in calories

Options

Replies

• prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    OP, I know its frustrating. I know you feel like we aren't listening. I know you think that you are doing it right and that there is something missing. Here I the thing, You may have a medical condition underlying your lack of loss, but you haven't proved that yet. Here is what I mean. I know you say the food you eat is weighed and measured, but YOU haven't weighed and measured it. I promise, promise, promise you would be surprised if you did. The reason everyone of us keep saying this is because we did the same thing. 2 tablespoons of peanut butter is much more than 32g, but that is the serving size. That is just one example of many. Also, you keep talking about your OB/GYN advising you on your diet, would you go to a dietician if you had a GYN problem? If I woke up in your shoes, I would first weigh and measure all my food for a couple of weeks so that I could KNOW how much I was eating. Second, I would go to a doctor with a background in nutrition and get checked. The vast majority of times ths happens it is simply that you are eating too much. Good luck!
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Do a detox week. Reboot your system & push passed the plateau. No coffee (only detox tea), no sugar (other than fruit), no dairy, no grains. Eat every 3 hours each meal have a protein (no red meat), carb (fruit or veg) & fat (nuts, olive oil, avocado slice). DOUBLE your intake of water (key). Cut any pops (including diet) or eating out (even cafeteria). Prep your meals in advance. Bring them to work. Introduce high quality protein shakes as your snacks for mid morning & after workout. NO CHEATING or you HAVE to restart the week.

Switch your workout routine to 5 days a week (weekends off) weights for 30m then low intensity cardio (jog, bike, elliptical) for 30m following MWF; high intensity cardio 30m (sprinting intervals, rope, rowing) then low intensity cardio TT.

Let me know after a week - i'd like to see your results... if you are as serious as you claim.

Good luck!

Oh hell no!
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    If you suspect hypothyroidism, then please see an endocrinologist.
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    Do a detox week. Reboot your system & push passed the plateau. No coffee (only detox tea), no sugar (other than fruit), no dairy, no grains. Eat every 3 hours each meal have a protein (no red meat), carb (fruit or veg) & fat (nuts, olive oil, avocado slice). DOUBLE your intake of water (key). Cut any pops (including diet) or eating out (even cafeteria). Prep your meals in advance. Bring them to work. Introduce high quality protein shakes as your snacks for mid morning & after workout. NO CHEATING or you HAVE to restart the week.

Switch your workout routine to 5 days a week (weekends off) weights for 30m then low intensity cardio (jog, bike, elliptical) for 30m following MWF; high intensity cardio 30m (sprinting intervals, rope, rowing) then low intensity cardio for 30m on TT.

Let me know after a week - i'd like to see your results... if you are as serious as you claim.

Good luck!

This is why we can't have nice things.
  • jenmom2myboys
    jenmom2myboys Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Can you open your food diary so we cam see it?
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options

Switch your workout routine to 5 days a week (weekends off) weights for 30m then low intensity cardio (jog, bike, elliptical) for 30m following MWF; high intensity cardio 30m (sprinting intervals, rope, rowing) then low intensity cardio for 30m on TT.

Good luck!

Exactly.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

Good luck!

Egads.

:noway:
  • CogFu
    CogFu Posts: 5 Member
    Options

Good luck!

Exactly.

Seriously people... it's only a week & would tell her if sodium is the issue. It worked for me as I had a similar issue with a plateau after loosing a substantial amount of weight. At least I'm offering her advice I think will help not say stupid things about others posts that are actually trying to help her.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    Options
    Can you open your food diary so we can see it?

The problem is it won't be very accurate. I imagine it'll *maybe* close, but with her estimating, guessing, eating out...it's all just guesses.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    Options

Good luck!

Exactly.

Seriously people... it's only a week & would tell her if sodium is the issue. It worked for me as I had a similar issue with a plateau after loosing a substantial amount of weight. At least I'm offering her advice I think will help not say stupid things about others posts that are actually trying to help her.

I don't see where what we said was stupid about your post. Another poster said "this is why we can't have nice things" and I agreed with him.

The truth is, there is no need to detox (which please tell me just ONE toxin that you are detoxing??? I know Jof would also like to know) and there is no way to reboot your system.

You detox by peeing and pooping. So unless those functions aren't happening you don't need a detox. And even then you wouldn't need a detox, you'd need a doctor.
    Again, there's no way to reboot your system. That, to me, is a gimmick.
  • smn76237
    smn76237 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    What you're doing isn't working. That means you have to do something different. You've gotten some really good advice about weighing your food vs. guessing (even though you think you're really good at it, even dietitians have been shown to underestimate calories by 10%).

Restaurants often prepare their food differently or give you more generous serving sizes than listed on their website so you likely are getting more calories there than you think.

You seem really defensive and all people are doing is trying to help.
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options

Good luck!

Exactly.

Sodium doesn't hinder fat loss. She's gotten good advice. You're not helping. You may be intending to help, but it's not really useful information.

Excluding a medical problem, she's not eating at a deficit. This could be for any number of reasons already listed by others. Even if she has a medical problem, she's still not eating at a deficit; there would just be a medical reason for it.

If there's no wiggle room to increase activity, then lower calorie intake by small increments. Though that probably won't do much if one incorrectly assumes their tracking is accurate.
  • RunMyOregonBunsOff
    RunMyOregonBunsOff Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    May I ask where you generally go when you eat out? What are you ordering? Are you using the calorie info from their menu or website or figuring it out for yourself based on what a piece of chicken ways? A lot of restaurants put different things on meat (butter or bacon grease) to add flavor before cooking it.

I agree about the food scale...even things that are individually portioned can be off by over 25% plus if you weigh everything for a while and see no results, then you can take that info to your doctor...the non ob gyn that you are going to start seeing and that will increase your chances of them recommending blood work.

Please do ask for multiple thyroid screens as above posted as a T4 only screen may come back normal while a T3 comes back low.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I feel for you, in general, OP. I've got some severe thyroid issues. I am very rigid in weighing and measuring my food. I've been in recovery from an eating disorder.

I know what it's like to look in the general forums and realize I can't apply most advice to myself, because I am different. I can become very angry towards myself for being different, or for expecting forums to solve problems that even my endo laughingly puts "We're all still trying to figure out ourselves."

But here's the thing.

You have options. Have you had your thyroid levels checked? You mentioned a family history of hypothyroidism, but a family history doesn't mean you're doomed to have it (thank goodness!) or that you've been tested. If you haven't had them checked, perhaps get them done for you and your doctor to eliminate (or consider) a cause.

But here's the other thing: weighing and measuring your food is key. If you're not doing it, you're not aware of what you eat. You've been here awhile, I see, but not active on the forums. I cannot tell you HOW many people have come in with a VERY similar story to you, and 9 times out of 10, they're eating more than they think. "Making good choices" is fine for health, but not necessarily weight loss.

You seem to have fallen into the "bad" vs. "good" food trap as well. I've seen it firsthand; someone eats salad and chicken and thinks they're superior to others for their food, healthier for their food or "should be losing weight." Except they don't measure the dressing they put on the salad. An 8 oz. chicken breast becomes a 4 oz. chicken breast to them. "I'm eating yogurt and don't eat fried foods!" but eating 10 cups of yogurt and having a tub of nuts for snacks.

All of this could still be fine... provided someone is aware of exactly how many calories/portions they're ingesting vs. what they're putting out.

I do have to say, that assuming anything of your "skinny" doctor's experience doesn't put you in a good light. You have no idea what she may have gone through as a child, as a young adult, etc. She may have had an eating disorder. She may have lost weight before. She might have struggled with weight during her residency when she couldn't be bothered to focus on her weight.

Most of all? If she's thin, why would you discount anything she says? She's doing something you want, correct... to be a lower weight, a healthier weight?
  • iPlatano
    iPlatano Posts: 487 Member
    Options

Good luck!

Shut up!!!!
  • iPlatano
    iPlatano Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    -You are not using a scale, therefore you dont know how many calories you are eating.

-You are eating too little and avoiding fat for your weight which can slow down your metabolism and *kitten* your hormones up.

-Work out 4 times a week.

Good luck.:smile:
  • sodakat
    sodakat Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    I wonder if you changed your habits for oh, maybe 2 full weeks, to purchasing food from the grocery store/market, prepped and weighed them all at home, carried them to work and did not eat out at all during that time you might learn if your body can indeed lose weight again.

Changing from eating cafeteria and restaurant foods for just two weeks would likely tell you if your stall is medical or calorie related.
  • NorthCountryDreamer
    NorthCountryDreamer Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I struggle with what I eat, but I am really convinced that the diet battle and that plateau also must include strength, cardio and overall all activity.
  • Darcie45
    Darcie45 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    First off {{{{HUGS}}}. Losing weight is one the most challenging things I have ever done. Period. If it were easy, there wouldn't be sites like this.

2. You have gotten some really great advice. Weighing my food was the most eye opening thing I have ever done. I bet it will be for you too.

3. Try for a week or two to fuel your body with only good stuff. No frozen pre-prepared meals, no eating out. My mother in law does not cook. I know that can be challenging, but salads, veggies, fruits, lean meats, nuts, good proteins. I would bet dollars to donuts that eating out and the frozen meals are part of the problem. Not saying that all frozen is bad, frozen veggies, frozen fish, there are some good frozen choices out there, just stay away from a meal in a box.

4. If you think you might have thyroid issues or insulin issues please please please go to a doctor who will listen to you and run the tests. My sister in law, who is a nurse, once insisted that I needed to have my thyroid levels checked. My doctor rolled his eyes when I told him, but he ran the tests anyway.

Even though so far, this thread has not gotten ugly like some have and usually do, it is still a bit frustrating to read. You are searching for answers when all we can do is give advice on what has worked for us. It is now up to you to pick through the bits and pieces and see what makes sense to you.

One last word from what has worked for me...Get something that measures your steps. Something like a fitbit (which I have and swear is the reason for my success) is ideal, there are several kinds out there. But even a simple pedometer and making sure you get 10,000 steps a day minimum in addition to any workouts you do could make a huge difference.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    Y'all just forget about it, okay? No one seems to be able to help, even my doctor, when I explained that there was a history of hypothyroidsim in the family. She just snurled and said it was my food. It cannot just be my food. There has to be something else.

Thanks to those who really tried to offer advice. For the rest of those who think they know it all, good luck.

Sorry, I didn't come here to be attacked.

Don't feel too bothered by a few posts...When you ask for advice, people often feel entitled. Some are very good at delivering message; others might not be so good...And it's annoying that some pick on certains words and going on and on about it even it's not what you meant or asked for opinion about. We all have to learn how to take home the useful and ditch the non-sense...:)

Good luck~