Carbs and sugar?

Options
AmyBecky74
AmyBecky74 Posts: 437 Member
I always go over on my alotted numbers for carbs and sugar but thats because I eat alot of fruit. Is it still bad to go over or since it's from fruit is it ok? Does the body digest "natural" surgar and carbs better or is ther no such thing as "natural" sugars and carbs?

Replies

• wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Going over your sugar is fine, no matter the source. However, fruits generally have more beneficial nutrients and fiber than, let's say, an Oreo.

Going over your carbs, which includes sugar, is a minor issue as you are sacrificing protein and fats, which in my opinion are higher on the priority list then carbs.
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    Going over your sugar is fine, no matter the source. However, fruits generally have more beneficial nutrients and fiber than, let's say, an Oreo.

Going over your carbs, which includes sugar, is a minor issue as you are sacrificing protein and fats, which in my opinion are higher on the priority list then carbs.

^This

I prioritize my protein and fat over carbs but I still go hilariously over my sugar allotment nearly every day from all sources. I just make sure I'm getting the fiber I need as well and don't sweat it. Unless you have a medical condition, track fiber in place of sugar in your diary, if you haven't.
  • saunca
    saunca Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Kinda glad to see someone else in this position. I, too, am usually "hilariously" over my daily sugar allotment!!!

On that note.....Does anyone know of an alternative choice for Peppermint Chocolate Luna Bars. I LOVE these things, some days I end up eating 2 of them. Their easy to grab & go. But, the sugar content is too high. **as an important note, I cannot eat anything with artificial sweetener in it (ie. aspartame, Splenda, etc). I have a bladder disease and the artificial sweeteners destroy the lining of my bladder. Any suggestions????
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Does the body digest "natural" surgar and carbs better or is ther no such thing as "natural" sugars and carbs?

All sugars are natural as in "found in nature" or "produced by processes found in nature".
  • renegadegeek
    renegadegeek Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    For what it's worth, concerning sugar...

Storm brewing over WHO sugar proposal
    http://www.nature.com/news/storm-brewing-over-who-sugar-proposal-1.14854

Includes links to the studies.
  • rachelamedley5
    rachelamedley5 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I have learnt to live without sugar. I make coconut and almond balls bound with almond butter and dipped in dark 85 percent chocolate. There is no reason why you couldn't flavour with mint. They are tasty when you get used to them. It's worth checking our chocolate covered Katie I can make candies without sugar for about 6 grams of carbs.
  • Joanne_Moniz
    Joanne_Moniz Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I always go over on my alotted numbers for carbs and sugar but thats because I eat alot of fruit. Is it still bad to go over or since it's from fruit is it ok? Does the body digest "natural" surgar and carbs better or is ther no such thing as "natural" sugars and carbs?

Going over on sugar will most definitely jeopardize your weight loss. Fructose (which is a component of sugar... glucose and fructose = sugar) is NOT processed the same as glucose in the body and an excess is converted to fat. It is becoming well understood that this is the cause of obesity.

Joanne Moniz
    The Skinny on Obesity Group
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options

Going over on sugar will most definitely jeopardize your weight loss. Fructose (which is a component of sugar... glucose and fructose = sugar) is NOT processed the same as glucose in the body and an excess is converted to fat. It is becoming well understood that this is the cause of obesity.

Joanne Moniz

Stop it Joanne, someone may buy the crap you are selling, and it is crap information
    Sugar will not jeopardize ones weight loss, just like sugar didn't cause one to gain weight.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Excess ANYTHING is converted to fat.

Why so many myths?
  • kikityme
    kikityme Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    *please note these are not posts by doctors* including mine.

I'm diabetic. My body processes ALL sugar the same, natural or not. And by process, I mean does NOT process. So I guess it depends whether diabetes is something you have to worry about or not.
  • asciiqwerty
    asciiqwerty Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    IT DEPENDS, because:

if your goal is weighloss alone then there is no such thing as either good or bad food only too many calories
    so if your excess of carbs and/or sugar(which is a type of carb) is putting you over your calorie goal then you are eating too much

for weight loss and muscle preservation together then you have to make sure that you are meeting at least your minimum protein and fat goals, not doing so will tend to increase your loss of muscle as you loose weight, this should be avoided as far as possible

where the rest of your calories come from is again irellevant if you only goal is weighloss but relevant if you are also aiming for longer health and fitness in which case your macros and micros (vitamins and calcium for example) are very important

if every day you consume at least your minimum fat and protein, then the rest of your calories will (by definition come from carbs and alcohol), here your choice lies between more nutritious sources like green veggies that also have a good micro balance and source, and less nutritious sources (soda), here for me the balance is at least 5 veggie servings (80g each) and 2 fruit servings a day whenever possible, then high fibre wholemeal carb sources to make up the rest as this combination helps me get my micros and makes me feel fuller and less hungry, which in turn helps me stay within my calorie and macro goals

in the evening once i've met my protein and fat and fruit and veg goals, I allow myself some treats to make up the calories i have left to my target like fruit, sorbet, frozen yogurt, icecream, chocolate and/or a glass of wine or beer
  • aeb09
    aeb09 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Sugar is sugar; candy bar sugar is the same as fruit sugar, but fruit does possess fiber and vitamins that are beneficial to health. With that said, most* people can handle sugar in moderation without worry. (*Myself and type 2 diabetics not included.)

http://authoritynutrition.com/is-fruit-good-or-bad-for-your-health/
  • Joanne_Moniz
    Joanne_Moniz Posts: 347 Member
    Options

Fortunately, there are zillions of reliable sources available at our fingertips today for one to learn how the body processes glucose and fructose (sugar), insulin resistance, etc. The liver is the only organ that can metabolize fructose in any significant amount. The same is not true for glucose which can be found in every cell.

Excess fructose is converted to fat and is extremely dangerous.

Joanne Moniz
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options

Fortunately, there are zillions of reliable sources available at our fingertips today for one to learn how the body processes glucose and fructose (sugar), insulin resistance, etc. The liver is the only organ that can metabolize fructose in any significant amount. The same is not true for glucose which can be found in every cell.

Joanne Moniz

Lies!
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options

Joanne Moniz

Please see what ADowe said earlier.

You know what converts to fat, overconsumption of ANYTHING.
  • leodru
    leodru Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    For what it's worth, concerning sugar...

Storm brewing over WHO sugar proposal
    http://www.nature.com/news/storm-brewing-over-who-sugar-proposal-1.14854

Includes links to the studies.

This is the equivalent of 2 glasses of 1% milk for the whole day or one banana and a glass of milk. While its great for World Health Organization to strive for lower levels i think its a bad choice for them not to separate fruits and whole foods from teaspoons of sugar in coffee or soda. I think its a guideline that's going to be ignored because its ultimately impossible.
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    That evil sugar...when will we learn.

Dont-Realize-Hurts.gif
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

Joanne Moniz
    And how does fructose get converted into fat and stored when people are at a calorie deficit?

If only there was a website where people could track their food so they knew how many calories they were consuming....