Carbs and sugar?

Options

Replies

• EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    I always go over on my alotted numbers for carbs and sugar but thats because I eat alot of fruit. Is it still bad to go over or since it's from fruit is it ok? Does the body digest "natural" surgar and carbs better or is ther no such thing as "natural" sugars and carbs?

Fortunately, there are zillions of reliable sources available at our fingertips today for one to learn how the body processes glucose and fructose (sugar), insulin resistance, etc. The liver is the only organ that can metabolize fructose in any significant amount. The same is not true for glucose which can be found in every cell.

Excess fructose is converted to fat and is extremely dangerous.

Joanne Moniz
    The Skinny on Obesity Group

So fruitcake is extremely dangerous?
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    I always go over on my alotted numbers for carbs and sugar but thats because I eat alot of fruit. Is it still bad to go over or since it's from fruit is it ok? Does the body digest "natural" surgar and carbs better or is ther no such thing as "natural" sugars and carbs?

If you are not purposefully looking to cut back on sugar, then going over but staying within your calorie target overall is fine - you should still lose weight.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options

Fortunately, there are zillions of reliable sources available at our fingertips today for one to learn how the body processes glucose and fructose (sugar), insulin resistance, etc. The liver is the only organ that can metabolize fructose in any significant amount. The same is not true for glucose which can be found in every cell.

Joanne Moniz

So fruitcake is extremely dangerous?
    Oh-I-see-what-you-did-there-.jpg
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

Joanne Moniz
    And how does fructose get converted into fat and stored when people are at a calorie deficit?

If only there was a website where people could track their food so they knew how many calories they were consuming....

In a normal balanced diet I am sure it is unlikely sugar would be converted to body fat on a deficit, however I do not think it is impossible for the process to happen!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

Going over on sugar will most definitely jeopardize your weight loss. Fructose (which is a component of sugar... glucose and fructose = sugar) is NOT processed the same as glucose in the body and an excess is converted to fat. It is becoming well understood that this is the cause of obesity.

Joanne Moniz
    Uhh no. Any excess calories are converted to fat. Fructose isn't special.
  • mynamealex
    mynamealex Posts: 26
    Options
    mostly - natural food are better for our body

then again - lower the amount of sugar you allowing yourself to eat.

there's a certain daily amount, and if regularly you eat more
    you body will get use to more and develop bad habits of needing more- consuming more

even if it just "fruits sugar"
    fruits also can be source of bad sugar. its all about proportion
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    mostly - natural food are better for our body

then again - lower the amount of sugar you allowing yourself to eat.

there's a certain daily amount, and if regularly you eat more
    you body will get use to more and develop bad habits of needing more- consuming more

even if it just "fruits sugar"
    fruits also can be source of bad sugar. its all about proportion

I'd like for you to expand on this. Can you e plain please?
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

Joanne Moniz
    And how does fructose get converted into fat and stored when people are at a calorie deficit?

If only there was a website where people could track their food so they knew how many calories they were consuming....

In a normal balanced diet I am sure it is unlikely sugar would be converted to body fat on a deficit, however I do not think it is impossible for the process to happen!
    Actually in a deficit it IS impossible. The only way sugar (or anything else) would be stored as fat is during a calorie surplus. Otherwise the body uses every calorie you eat, out of necessity.
  • renegadegeek
    renegadegeek Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    You can read the actual guidelines on the WHO site: http://www.who.int/mediacentre/news/notes/2014/consultation-sugar-guideline/en/.

They recommend sugars (regardless of where they come from) be less than 10% of your calories, which is very doable. I had my daughter's birthday party yesterday, and even with a cupcake was well under that limit. They suggest that 5% has added benefits to both weight control and dental health, based on current research. 5% would be harder, of course, but it's not impossible.

One of the biggest issues they have is the amount of "hidden" (their word, not mine) sugar in packaged and processed foods. If those are reduced, then the sugars you get from fruits, milk, etc. are less of a concern.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options

Going over on sugar will most definitely jeopardize your weight loss. Fructose (which is a component of sugar... glucose and fructose = sugar) is NOT processed the same as glucose in the body and an excess is converted to fat. It is becoming well understood that this is the cause of obesity.

Joanne Moniz

CONGRATS, Joanne. On getting your profile pic straightened out!

:drinker: :drinker:

That's a HELLUVA NSV!!!!! :flowerforyou:
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

Joanne Moniz

Actually in a deficit it IS impossible. The only way sugar (or anything else) would be stored as fat is during a calorie surplus. Otherwise the body uses every calorie you eat, out of necessity.

Okay so you have full glycogen stores in your muscles and liver and you consume 1000 calories of sugar (no fat no protein) what happens to the sugar that has just hit the blood stream?

Also you are not burning it off with exercise!
  • Joanne_Moniz
    Joanne_Moniz Posts: 347 Member
    Options

Joanne Moniz

Exactly! Thank you for making that point... that is why it is less about quantity and more about quality

Joanne Moniz
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

Joanne Moniz

Okay so you have full glycogen stores in your muscles and liver and you consume 1000 calories of sugar (no fat no protein) what happens to the sugar that has just hit the blood stream?

So no protein, no fat, all sugar, still in a deficit, no exercise.......however, where do you think your body is pulling energy from? How would glycogen stores be full when your body needs energy?

The question was not for you (even though if it was you haven't answered it). Somebody on a low to zero carb diet can have glycogen reserves in their liver a muscles.

But if you want a shot at the question, please feel free to come up with an answer.

Oh and I'm not on about no fat or protein on a long term diet - just for say a 24hour period - if that makes the question easier to understand!
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

Joanne Moniz

So no protein, no fat, all sugar, still in a deficit, no exercise.......however, where do you think your body is pulling energy from? How would glycogen stores be full when your body needs energy?

Ketones!
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

Joanne Moniz

The question was not for you (even though if it was you haven't answered it). Somebody on a low to zero carb diet can have glycogen reserves in their liver a muscles.

But if you want a shot at the question, please feel free to come up with an answer.

Oh and I'm not on about no fat or protein on a long term diet - just for say a 24hour period - if that makes the question easier to understand!
    Yes, I understand how glycogen storing works. You like to speak very condescending when posting as if people have no knowledge.

Your question is with extreme examples. You think glycogen in the muscle and liver will be constantly full? Come one. Then you provide the body with no fat or protein for however long but your body still needs energy but you are still supplying it with its preferred energy source. And you are still in a deficit calorie wise but you think it will store as fat?

You are fishing for an example to prove a point. And apparently debating just to debate. Again.

An actual answer to the question would be good.

If you are on a high carb diet and not training it is likely your glycogen reserves are rarely depleted.

But still the question stands!

And debating for debating sake - no.

If someone is claiming something to be impossible when I believe it's not I like question the myth.

Isn't that what the general forums are for - to exchange ideas and debate issues?
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

Joanne Moniz

Yes, I understand how glycogen storing works. You like to speak very condescending when posting as if people have no knowledge.

Your question is with extreme examples. You think glycogen in the muscle and liver will be constantly full? Come one. Then you provide the body with no fat or protein for however long but your body still needs energy but you are still supplying it with its preferred energy source. And you are still in a deficit calorie wise but you think it will store as fat?

You are fishing for an example to prove a point. And apparently debating just to debate. Again.

Wow just noticed that. - pot and kettle. Lol